Help me understand this verse please!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
Sorry folks. Once again this seems to be a question that asks how to understand the trinity. If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize.I need help understanding this verse. What is meant by blasphemy against the Holy Ghost?Mathew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.Thank you.:pray3:

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(Wise Haven;20646)
Sorry folks. Once again this seems to be a question that asks how to understand the trinity. If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize.I need help understanding this verse. What is meant by blasphemy against the Holy Ghost?Mathew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.Thank you.:pray3:
I could be wrong as usual, but my understanding is that ascribing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan is what that is talking about.

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
Thanks Jon-MarcI can understand that in the context of that time.But who would then, and now, ascribe the holy works to satan?Surely the works of the Holy Ghost stand proud as examples of divinity without confusion.Maybe it is the other way round - The works of satan could be portrayed as the works of the Holy Ghost - like some preachers I do not care to mention!I suppose I am also asking: How is the Holy Ghost different from God or Christ?

Jougukny

Oct 24, 2007
In the name of Jesus our Lord.Hi to all, this would be my first post. I'm not well versed in 'BB code' so i'll just type without any fancy stuff....Matthew 12:31 speaks to the blasphemy of knowing the power of the Spirit, having felt His influence, and having been affected by His leading and guidance then denying that it was Him at all. I imagine this to be a Christian (one who really has(d) a living testimony of the In-workings of the Holy Spirit and full acceptance of Jesus' blood atonement) who then denies in his/her heat that it was NOT God at all and truly disavows any further acceptance of the Spirit in any aspect of life...(ie; absolute denyal of the Spirit and like Jon-Marc said :"...ascribing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan..." - I would take that one step further by adding that this 'person' now continues his/her life in full knowledge that (s)he is devoted to evil.. and is now lost in a lust for the darkness of life...Not contributing to it, but taking away "God Moments" from every one and every thing they once held holy...This sin cannot fall upon a devoted follower of Christ....by definition the devoted follower of our Savior allows the Holy Spirit to lead to better and more intimate relationship with GodI hope this was helpful... - Jougukny -

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
Jougukny,That is a very profound analysis that seems to pre-suppose, the deliberate consent (to participate) in evil by human beings.This will take me a while to consider, and reply to with conviction. I have experienced evil (without conscience) by psychopathic personalities, surprisingly, in many every day situations.These people I do not consider evil - but merely "not human" - they behave like predatorial animals who have a need to fulfill, ie food.There are others who (in most respects) resemble psychopathic personalities but deliberately crave and create situations that cause pain, terror and fear to all around them. To them, this goal and achievement, is satisfaction.

Jougukny

Oct 24, 2007
Wise Haven said:
I have experienced evil (without conscience) by psychopathic personalities, surprisingly, in many every day situations.These people I do not consider evil - but merely "not human" ....There are others who (in most respects) resemble psychopathic personalities...and create situations that cause pain, terror and fear to all around them. To them, this goal and achievement, is satisfaction.
In our post modernistic world where everyone has an opinion and every opinion and action is justifiable within the "I have a right to behave this way and you don't have a right to tell me different"...there are many who are following their own will and do not know or don't want to know that they can become so much more, apart from their selves, and actually make the world a better place within their own social circle and spheres of influence. Even if the difference (of morally right and selfishly wrong) are 'known' to these types of persons, they do not have the capacity withing themselves to break free from the "I do what I do because that is who i am" - A belief in themselves have lead them to a place in their lives that leaves no room for the consideration of how ungodly actions can lead to such harm and confusion, and fear in those that are around them. They need our prayers - firstly for forgiveness for being stubborn and blind to their life sucking - love draining actions against innocents...but more importantly; against God Himself. (I believe we can intercede for them and ask our Savior to forgive their ways and allow their veil to be lifted). When we pray for the forgiveness of those who have invaded our bubble with negativity and fear- mongering, and even personal injury, we release in ourselves, to God, the anger and feelings of helplessness that they left behind after our encounter with them. Already, this act of kindness towards them, whether known or unknown to them at the time or ever, sets the path of Truth into their lives. Heavenly hosts are sent to attempt make the 'new man'. But the choice to accept what God will now put into their lives as a result of our petitions for them, is ultimately up to THAT/THOSE persons. I'm not saying it's easy, but it becomes easier with every intercession. The thing that works for me, to help me get beyond those kinds of personalities, is to say to myself (in my heart) "This person doesn't know how to behave any different - I will pray for God to intervene." Then i trust that He will. I know He will. Finally; not everyone has the capacity to have their veil lifted because they are so wrapped up in the hate, confusion, and revenge that is their own sin. God can lift the veil, Wise Haven, but there must be a willingness to step into the light. Try not to let the social pariahs take the Life of Love away from you. Once upon a time they were innocent children...now, they are just LOST children waiting to be found. Peace to your heart - in the name of Jesus our Lord. -Jougukny -

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
Dear Jougukny,Thank you for that deeply considered response.I need time to digest this reply before I respond.Thank you Jougukny:)

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Wise Haven;20657)
Thanks Jon-MarcI can understand that in the context of that time.But who would then, and now, ascribe the holy works to satan?Surely the works of the Holy Ghost stand proud as examples of divinity without confusion.Maybe it is the other way round - The works of satan could be portrayed as the works of the Holy Ghost - like some preachers I do not care to mention!I suppose I am also asking: How is the Holy Ghost different from God or Christ?
Wise this is known as the unforgivable sin it can only be commted one time and only by the elect It is much like when the holy spirit came upon the aspostles in the book of Acts we are told not to premitate what we will say for the holy spirit will speak through you If you of your own free will deny the Holy spirit to speak through you you will be commiting this unforgivable sin.Matthew 12:31 "Wherefore I say unto you, all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."Jesus is telling you that all manner of sin is forgivable, except the sin committed by elect of God when he refuses to allow the Holy Spirit of God to speak through him when he is delivered up in the time of the end. This sin is spoken of in Mark 13:11; "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought before hand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye, for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.".Matthew 12:32 "And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."You can call Jesus Christ what ever you want to, and even deny Christ before men, and upon repentance that act of sin will be forgiven of you. When the Holy Spirit of God wishes to use you, Jesus is warning you against not allowing Him to use your mouth, for He will do the thinking, and do the premeditating for you. When Christ healed the blind and dumb man, he both saw Christ, and spoke of Him. He spoke of the good news that Christ brought to him. This denying of the Holy Spirit then, is the unforgivable sin that only God's elect can commit.

Nova

Sep 20, 2007
I can't say, with any rock solid confidence, that I understand this verse. But the way I read it, a person must be a Spirit lead Christian, then convert to actively worshipping & following the evil one. My hunch is it is more than saying "God did this work" or "the evil one did this work." Because the sin isn't against the Father or even Jesus. It specifically is against the Spirit.In practical terms, anyone who seeks forgiveness can't have committed this sin. Because the urging to repent & the grace to do so, both come from God.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
We are all sinners as the word of God teaches, and Jesus came to seek and to save the lost--us. He found me and saved me on May 18, 1963 when I was 17 and finally heard His call. God is a triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. They are Three and yet One at the same time. Easy to say but impossible to understand. Trying to understand and explain God in human terms could drive one mad. He is beyond our understanding and comprehension, and yet we can KNOW Him in a personal way as our Father, Saviour, Lord, King, Master, Friend, Redeemer, Teacher, Guide, and so much more. He is everything to me and wants to be that to everyone. Unfortunately, most will reject Him because they think they have to understand first. We are told to come to Him and trust Him as a little child does--by faith.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me just point out something about this verse. There is a key word in it that I ignored as I struggled originally to understand this verse.Matthew 12:31
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
They key word is forgiven. There is a condition on our being forgiven, we ask the Father for it and then it flows freely to us. God gives it, but we have to ask. Obviously, we're not forgiven when we don't ask. This verse doesn't apply to a nonChristian who never believes in Christ. This verse applies to someone who asks for forgiveness, which only a Christian would do.Acts 3:19
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Acts 26:18
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
From there, I agree with what sister kriss has to say. This sin is committed at a very specific moment.Matthew 13:11
But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.

Jougukny

Oct 24, 2007
(Nova;20695)
I can't say, with any rock solid confidence, that I understand this verse. But the way I read it, a person must be a Spirit lead Christian, then convert to actively worshipping & following the evil one. My hunch is it is more than saying "God did this work" or "the evil one did this work." Because the sin isn't against the Father or even Jesus. It specifically is against the Spirit.In practical terms, anyone who seeks forgiveness can't have committed this sin. Because the urging to repent & the grace to do so, both come from God.
Amen!! But how scary it must be for those who think they have no way out...Satan is a trickster and a liar and he accuses the saints and makes divisions within the Body...it's the mind that houses the battle and the heart that wins it; a heart for God.

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
(Jougukny;20660)
In the name of Jesus our Lord.Hi to all, this would be my first post. I'm not well versed in 'BB code' so i'll just type without any fancy stuff....Matthew 12:31 speaks to the blasphemy of knowing the power of the Spirit, having felt His influence, and having been affected by His leading and guidance then denying that it was Him at all. I imagine this to be a Christian (one who really has(d) a living testimony of the In-workings of the Holy Spirit and full acceptance of Jesus' blood atonement) who then denies in his/her heat that it was NOT God at all and truly disavows any further acceptance of the Spirit in any aspect of life...(ie; absolute denyal of the Spirit and like Jon-Marc said :"...ascribing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan..." - I would take that one step further by adding that this 'person' now continues his/her life in full knowledge that (s)he is devoted to evil.. and is now lost in a lust for the darkness of life...Not contributing to it, but taking away "God Moments" from every one and every thing they once held holy...This sin cannot fall upon a devoted follower of Christ....by definition the devoted follower of our Savior allows the Holy Spirit to lead to better and more intimate relationship with GodI hope this was helpful... - Jougukny -
Thanks - your post seems to summarize in one place most of the other answers and what I think I understand from this verse.Even so, I think it will be a long time before I can confidently provide an answer to this verse for myself and anyone who may ask me.Please keep responding to this thread - I think it will be one of those verses that needs to be explained more than others

Nova

Sep 20, 2007
After you asked this question, I was moved to ponder it some more. I felt drawn to re-read the account of Balaam in Numbers. One of the things that stood out is that Balaam heard from God, but used that information against Israel. Even though he didn't curse them (like he was asked to do), he did take what was God given insight & use it against God's people. Even so, I sense it is more than this. But I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea. Having known God, who else could compare? And why would I want to do so?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. The key to understanding this verse is that on the surface it is almost self contradictoryfirst we are told all forms of Blasphemy shall be forgiven then we are told blasphemy of the Holy spirit will not be forgiven We in todays religions through this term Holy spirit around so freely we do not even really know that there is certain times in scripture that this term is not used in a general form As in being born again, or being baptised we assume every christian has been touched by the Holy spirit well even if this is true How can all blaspheme be forgiven except that against the Hollyspirit what is the difference how do we know what this is saying if it unforgivable it must be a pretty big deal to God.Thats why you have to understand that this is a specific sin committed at a specific time God would never allow an unknowing person to commit an unforgivable sin without having full knowledge of what they were doing. Now lets look at what Happens when the Holy Spirit of God came upon the ApostlesActs 2:2 "And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting."This mighty rushing wind was the Spirit of God, the "Pneuma" in the Greek. Strong's Greek dictionary records the # 4151. There was no wondering and guessing whether the Spirit of God was there, it filled the house, and all of the hundred and fifty that were in that house. Think a moment; God has no lost motion. Everything that is written by His scribes, the prophets and apostles have a very special meaning. What was given by the Holy Spirit was distributed in every direction, or language?This is not tongues like some churches claim to speak this was a loud rushing of Wind (the breath of God) and all the people whether they spoke Greek, Hebrew or any number of Languages in the crowd heard God speaking through the Apostles in their own languages This was God speaking in his Holy language of before the tower of Babel when he confused the languages. This was the miracle of Pentecost.So back to our verse only a similar Miracle would qualify for the Blaspheme of the Holy Spirit the only unforgivable sin in the Bible.This is why we must look to scripture to see if this tells us of a time this will happen again Matthew 13:11But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost. This is the same thing as in Acts do not think about what you will say for God will speak through you just as he did to the Apostles.What is happening at this time the Antichrist is putting those who refuse to follow him and take his Mark on trial. God says when you are called up /put on trial do not worry about what you will say He will speak. With this spirit of God comes the full knowledge of God. So with full knowledge of God if you deny him Then and only then can you commit blaspheme against the Holy Spirit.