HERESY?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am claiming to be a follower of Christ- a Christian. Hence listening to HIM. I make no claims of infallibility, only He is perfect.

So when you think you hear God you could be wrong.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The term "heretic" applies to individuals. Denominations are either holding to Bible Christianity or False Christianity.
I was just reading about that.
If you're interested, see my post no. 76....

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, you are not prepared to give a straight answer. I can ignore you then.
Evidently, you are looking for an answer that you want hear, and not what the body of NT scripture speaks of, wherein I placed quotation marks to reference in the KJV.
So in essence, you are not ignoring me, but rather NT scripture.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean we Christians each have "our own truth"?

How does that make us ONE GROUP?

I do believe that we define Christianity FIRST and then decide if we want to be a part of it.
The purpose of having one body is to support each other of each person's walk with Christ (He only has one truth). It's not to have men declare what God's truth is and then attack anyone who doesn't agree with that view like the Pharisees of old.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." (John 10.27-28) :)
Yes, but my question had another purpose.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure where this should be...
the study of God seemed appropriate (maybe).

Every denomination has some teaching or doctrine that we would not agree with.

How would you explain the difference between an
incorrect teaching
and
a heretical teaching...?

IOW,,,when does an incorrect teaching become heretical?

Thanks.

When it's so obvious that it contradicts Bible Scripture.

For example: some believe there won't be a second coming of Christ Jesus.

That idea is heresy, because there are many, many Bible Scriptures that declare the return of Jesus Christ back to this earth, Zechariah 14 and Acts 1 particularly.

Another example is man's Pre-tribulational Rapture theory -- it says Jesus comes to rapture His Church prior... to the great tribulation He warned of. But in Matthew 24:29-31 and Mark 13:24-27, Jesus showed His coming to gather His saints is AFTER... the tribulation. Thus the Pre-trib Rapture theory is heresy against God's written Word.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Evidently, you are looking for an answer that you want hear, and not what the body of NT scripture speaks of, wherein I placed quotation marks to reference in the KJV.
So in essence, you are not ignoring me, but rather NT scripture.

Untrue.
you are just dodging round the issue.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure where this should be...
the study of God seemed appropriate (maybe).

Every denomination has some teaching or doctrine that we would not agree with.

How would you explain the difference between an
incorrect teaching
and
a heretical teaching...?

IOW,,,when does an incorrect teaching become heretical?

Thanks.

Heretics I believe has only ONE mention in Scripture.
I believe a Scriptural “heretic” is trusting to believe, what man proclaims, OVER the Word of God.

More ‘modernly’ (for Centuries), the calling of an other “a heretic”, is more like, NOT agreeing with a “mans” long standing (doctrine and tradition) preaching and teaching.

We certainly are familiar, of “long standing” preaching, teaching, doctrine and traditions OF MEN, who grouped together, Calling “their meeting places” “Catholic Churches”, and Calling “themselves” “Catholics”.
* THEY ^ BTW, are also quite “partial” to the term “HERETIC”, and DO call men, in objection to “THEIR long standing, preaching, teaching, doctrines, traditions....Heretics”.

It is “suppose” to be derogatory and intimidating and shameful TO BE CALLED a “Heretic”.
However the FACT IS: A “Heretic”, is a person WHO “believed and followed along with a “particular” groups ... preaching, teaching, doctrines, traditions...
And THEN STOPPED.

Personally, I never Followed, preaching, teaching, doctrines, traditions OF a Group Calling themselves “Catholic”, or their meeting places, Called “CATHOLIC Churches”...
IF you did, then stopped, being called “a heretic”, simply is notification,
You have come to REJECT Catholic preaching, teaching, doctrines, traditions AS a viable means for you to accept.

IF you Never followed a Catholic preaching, teaching, doctrine, tradition...being CALLED a “heretic”, BY a Catholic, is a False accusation.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just brought up another problem.

If it means at variance with the essential teaching of Any church, then it seems to me that Christianity can be twisted to mean whatever we want it to.

By "notably Christian", maybe you're referring to other religions?

That I'd agree with.

Identifying oneself as a CHRISTIAN, simply means, the individual is PRESENTLY believing Jesus IS the Christ.
It DOES NOT “automatically” mean, one has heartfully CONFESSED their True Belief TO the Lord God...(which is HOW an individual BECOMES “CONVERTED”, effected BY the POWER and WORKS of God)....WHO thereafter would “expressly” Identify oneself AS A “Converted Christian”...or “BORN AGAIN Christian”.

Some people...ignore the “specifics” IN Scripture....expressly the terms;
“Born Again”....or “Converted”....and instead use a dull general term that has no “specific” meaning.....of such term being “a TRUE Christian”...

Using “non specific man-made up terms”...can certainly make “Christianity”...
Appear “wishy washy”. And to many “foreigners”, generationally steeped in Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, etc., Christianity IS confusing, especially when using “man made up” general terms.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Untrue.
you are just dodging round the issue.
If you really think that I am dodging the issue, then you already have an answer to it, and you are only fishing, hoping for a bite at your artificial bait.
Sorry! It is I who knows the real food, but you are not hearing what I write.

So, heres the comparison for all to eat and digest: KJV Matthew 13:24-30, specifically
[25] But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
1 Timothy 3:15 "....the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Now, since you apparently do have an answer to 1 Tim. 3:15, let's discover who in the church of the living God, according to Mat. 13:4-30, ARE the "wheat", and therefore ARE the "pillar and ground of THE Truth", who is Jesus.
Again please use 1 Peter 2:9 as a reference.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course gnostics were heretical.

But does one incorrect doctrine make a denomination heretical or just the specific teaching?
Heritical doctrine can infect the entire lump if it is not purged out fast .
And as paul once said ,there words do eat as a chancor to the soul . Thus let all who names the name of JESUS CHRIST
flee heretical teachings and correct any and all who might believe in them .

Reactions: JohnPaul

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term "heretic" applies to individuals. Denominations are either holding to Bible Christianity or False Christianity.
And if a church allows heretical teachings into the church that church will become infected and leavened in short time .
We must do all to purge out false teachings and keep bible sound doctrine at the forefront of all that we do teach and say .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ saves individuals.

A denomination neither saves nor damns anyone.
Christ is the one who saves the individual . But if we are seated under Christ , His sheep hear HIS voice
and the voice of a stranger they will flee , they will not heed or follow the voices of those who are not of Christ .
Sound doctrine matters .

Reactions: JohnPaul

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just brought up another problem.

If it means at variance with the essential teaching of Any church, then it seems to me that Christianity can be twisted to mean whatever we want it to.

By "notably Christian", maybe you're referring to other religions?

That I'd agree with.
That’s what is wrong with many Churches today, they twist the Bible to their own interpretation therefore corrupting it. It’s why I stopped going to Church, my heart and soul are with God and Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you really think that I am dodging the issue, then you already have an answer to it, and you are only fishing, hoping for a bite at your artificial bait.
Sorry! It is I who knows the real food, but you are not hearing what I write.
What you write is jumbled nonsense.
I'm not wasting any more time with you.