Honour thy father and thy mother

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 6:2-3
[2] Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) [3] That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Galatians 4:26
[26] But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Matthew 12:49-50
[49] And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! [50] For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother

Matthew 15:4-8
[4] For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. [5] But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; [6] And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free . Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. [7] Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, [8] This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Matthew 19:19
[19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

There are countless threads discussing Mary. What does Galatians 4:26 mean to you: But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Who is this Mother spoken of?

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the Kingdom of God (Heaven) the Mother of us all? Those born of God?

Isaiah 2:2&3
2-Now it shall come to pass in the latter Days - "That the mountain of the Lord's House - Shall be established on the top of the Mountains - And be exalted above the Hills; - And all the Nations shall flow to it. 3- Many people shall come and Say, - Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, - To the House of the God of Jacob; - He will teach us His Ways, And we shall walk in His Paths!
At this point in time, as Paul spoke, there will be neither Jew or Gentile, and those of the House of Jacob will ask who are these Children, where have they come from? So the Mother of us all, could be the House of Jacob, the seed of Abraham, by which all the Nations have been Blessed! Born of God through the Seed, singular Our Savior!!!
Read also Isaiah 54:1-8

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gal 4;22 "For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid,(=The Flesh, Hagar. Abraham trying to help God give him a son) the other by a freewoman. (= Sarah, Isaac being the son of The Promise..therefore of the Spirit..she was old, too old. )
23 But he ( Ishmeal) who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he ( Isaac) of the freewoman was by ( God's) promise.
24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.( Hagar)
25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, ( old Law) and is in bondage ( law) with her children.
26 But Jerusalem ( Sarah rep The Spirit Promise) which is above is free, ( in Spirit, not under law) which is the mother of us all.
27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.( Spirit)
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now."

Reactions: GodsGrace

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal 4;22 "For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid,(=The Flesh, Hagar. Abraham trying to help God give him a son) the other by a freewoman. (= Sarah, Isaac being the son of The Promise..therefore of the Spirit..she was old, too old. )
23 But he ( Ishmeal) who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he ( Isaac) of the freewoman was by ( God's) promise.
24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.( Hagar)
25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, ( old Law) and is in bondage ( law) with her children.
26 But Jerusalem ( Sarah rep The Spirit Promise) which is above is free, ( in Spirit, not under law) which is the mother of us all.
27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now."

Yes, they are allegories of what? Allegorys teach and explain something else, correct? Can and does flesh(Mary) bear fire (Spirit)? If not, then who is the mother of us all that bears fire? I am sorry, I don't mean to be difficult but this question has never fully been answered or satisfied for me. He commands: honour thy Father and thy Mother, which for me are a foreshadowing and teaching of our Honoring of our Heavenly Father and Mother. God and the Kingdom that gave us a Son. Same as servants submitting to their master, and wives submitting to their husbands... all speak of something Spiritual and are teachings (illustrations) from God.

John 3:5-6
[5] Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. [6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 2:2&3
2-Now it shall come to pass in the latter Days - "That the mountain of the Lord's House - Shall be established on the top of the Mountains - And be exalted above the Hills; - And all the Nations shall flow to it. 3- Many people shall come and Say, - Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, - To the House of the God of Jacob; - He will teach us His Ways, And we shall walk in His Paths!
At this point in time, as Paul spoke, there will be neither Jew or Gentile, and those of the House of Jacob will ask who are these Children, where have they come from? So the Mother of us all, could be the House of Jacob, the seed of Abraham, by which all the Nations have been Blessed! Born of God through the Seed, singular Our Savior!!!
Read also Isaiah 54:1-8

There has to be more than "seed". What else has to be there for conception?

Luke 8:11-15
[11] Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. [12] Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. [13] They on the rock are they , which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. [14] And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. [15] But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it , and bring forth fruit with patience.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

now just hang fire and abide awhile and just try and relate this to the whole picture and part of the larger jigsaw - so Abraham as a human can have two sons one good and one not so good so to speak and they have numerous children - how about God's two sons viz Jesus and Lucifer and their numerous children = children of God and children of the devil etc - your comments - twinc

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Before the thread takes a different turn, here is why I ask: My earthly Father passed before I ever learned who my biological Father was. I was never given the opportunity to honor my earthly Father. BUT I can now honor my Heavenly Father by forgiving my earthly Father for leaving before I was born and deciding to have no part in my life.

Being born again, born Spirit: I now have a Father in Heaven. It seems completely wrong to say; being born again, born Spirit; I have a new Father in Heaven and an earthly(flesh) mother.

Born of Spirit: do I not now have a new Father and new Mother? When Jesus was asked, His reply was: Mark 3:33-35 "And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? [34] And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! [35] For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother."

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, they are allegories of what?

The Law of the OT , and the NT Law of Love.."the law Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death "NT
As Paul says...one is Bondage of the flesh, and one is The Free of the Spirit.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Before the thread takes a different turn, here is why I ask: My earthly Father passed before I ever learned who my biological Father was. I was never given the opportunity to honor my earthly Father. BUT I can now honor my Heavenly Father by forgiving my earthly Father for leaving before I was born and deciding to have no part in my life.

Being born again, born Spirit: I now have a Father in Heaven. It seems completely wrong to say; being born again, born Spirit; I have a new Father in Heaven and an earthly(flesh) mother.

Born of Spirit: do I not now have a new Father and new Mother? When Jesus was asked, His reply was: Mark 3:33-35 "And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? [34] And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! [35] For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother."
How do you have a new mother? You mean Mary?
But Mark 3:33-35 speaks against loving anymore more than Jesus.
Do you love your heavenly Father and Mary more than Jesus?
Sorry, I should not have listed God Father.
Do you love Mary more than Jesus?
I fear I may have misunderstood you...

Reactions: Helen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law of the OT , and the NT Law of Love.."the law Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death "NT
As Paul says...one is Bondage of the flesh, and one is The Free of the Spirit.

I am sorry, still doesn't answer the question: can that of bondage(flesh) bear Spirit?

John 3:6
[6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Meaning my earthly mother(flesh), can not be my heavenly mother. Leading back to who is the Mother of us all?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am sorry, still doesn't answer the question: can that of bondage(flesh) bear Spirit?

John 3:6
[6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Meaning my earthly mother(flesh), can not be my heavenly mother. Leading back to who is the Mother of us all?

Sorry the problem is me here...I shouldn't have tried to show you what Paul is saying here. Paul speaks of Hagar and Sarah he is not speaking about Mary at all.
I agreed with @GodsGrace post...I could not understand what you were saying when you bring in Mary. Paul was not speaking at all about Mary. He was speaking about Sarah.." the mother of us all, who walk by the Spirit, having birthed Issac the Promised Son...who is a type in scripture of Jesus Christ.. Sarah being a type of the Free NT Church.

Like I say...sorry, I should not have replied.

Bless you. Helen

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No, you haven't misunderstood and maybe I am confused. Yes, I am confused. Is Mary not the part that bore the flesh part of Jesus? While the Spirit, God. Making Jesus Christ, the Son, God in the flesh. Mary was a flesh vessel, yes. First we are born of flesh. I have an earthly Mother and Father. Then we are born of God. Spirit. Mary can not be a mother of that born of Spirit. The word says: Galatians 4:26

Matthew 12:48-50
[48] But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? [49] And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! [50] For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

To me, Jesus is saying those that do the will of the Father belong to the family of the Kingdom of God. Isn't He speaking of inheriting many brothers and sisters in Christ? Isn't Jesus stating: these that do the Father's will IS Kin. Yes, loving that of earth less. But also inheriting that of Heaven. Matthew 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 6:2-3
[2] Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) [3] That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Galatians 4:26

Matthew 12:49-50
[49] And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! [50] For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother

Matthew 15:4-8
[4] For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. [5] But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; [6] And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free . Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. [7] Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, [8] This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Matthew 19:19
[19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

There are countless threads discussing Mary. What does Galatians 4:26 mean to you: But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Who is this Mother spoken of?
The Heavenly Jerusalem is the Church.
The foundations of this "city" are the Apostles (Rev. 21:14). This is why Jesus told Peter that He would build His Church on HIM (Matt. 16:18).

Gal. 4:26 is a good example as to why is why the Catholic Church refers to "Holy Mother Church".

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think I should clarify when I refer to "Mother" I am not referring to the female gender but rather: to carry and bring forth life, to deliver, to bare children.

And the Word says this Mother is new Jerusalem, from above.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
<Snip>
Gal. 4:26 is a good example as to why is why the Catholic Church refers to "Holy Mother Church".

Agree, it is speaking of the New testament Church. But, I will skip over your Catholic bit, as this is not a debate here. :D
I believe it is ALL of us ...the true Believers..those who live by The Spirit.

Trust you to plug your church here. :) lol

Blessings Helen.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree, it is speaking of the New testament Church. But, I will skip over your Catholic bit, as this is not a debate here. :D
I believe it is ALL of us ...the true Believers..those who live by The Spirit.

Trust you to plug your church here. :) lol

Blessings Helen.
Actually - I only mentioned the Catholic Church because we refer to "Holy Mother Church".
This is not a new concept for us. I was't trying to debate - just to shed some light.:cool:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually - I only mentioned the Catholic Church because we refer to "Holy Mother Church".
This is not a new concept for us. I was't trying to debate - just to shed some light.:cool:

Haha! I just felt like teasing you...sometimes I like to lighten things up a wee bit. I'm sure Jesus smiled a few time... God bless ;)

Reactions: BreadOfLife

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The foundations of this "city" are the Apostles (Rev. 21:14). This is why Jesus told Peter that He would build His Church on HIM (Matt. 16:18).

The Church is Mother and the Bride?