How do you feel about Joel Osteen ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
When I had cable I use to watch his televised program. His positivity helps me. I feel he truly ministers to a certain category of people, those who need lifting. And there are so many of us. I suffer from depression and missed his daily pep talks, so now I sometimes go to his site and watch it there.
But it was always when I was at my lowest when I would stumble upon his program and it would minister to me greatly, almost as if by divine appointment.
At the beginning of his program he lifts up the bible and gives it and God the glory, and at the end he leads the lost in the sinner's prayer, and in his word of edification he mentions God's principles. Sounds biblical to me. He is the pastor of a church in Lakewood, where the in depth bible study is done.
Yes, he makes money with his books, but don't all authors ? I like how this article mentions that his televised program doesn't ask for donations. I never noticed that. But it makes sense. How can you try to lift someone while asking them for money ?
Yes, I like him.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-christians-hate-joel-osteen-1012565.html

But still, like the author of this article asks, why do people hate him ? If anyone has any info as to him preaching contrary to God's word I will most certainly take that into consideration. But it will have to be in video form, like him saying an unbiblical remark during an interview, for I have no confidence in heresay.

I like this man's uplifting ministry, but if he is unbiblical in other realms I would have no desire to watch him anymore.

Please post the gist of the unbiblical principle he is teaching, and not just the link alone.

Trying to find out the truth,

God Bless~

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have one Joel Osteen video on my youtube site that is just about to go over 400,000 views. I would reccomend Joel for encouragement, faith, and hope. And I would also commend preaches who are more in depth in the word of God.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rockytopva

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly don't have anything against and uplifting sermon as we all need them from time to time. I don't have anything against a preacher making money by preaching or writing books, so that's not a problem with me either.

The problem I have is that all I've ever seen him preach is prosperity and a good feeling message. Nothing wrong with that EXCEPT if that's all you are preaching. There is in the Bible instruction on correction, rebuking, obedience to the Word, warnings of things to come and damnation of people who refuse to correctly follow God. He (from what I've seen of him, and it hasn't been a whole lot, I admit) doesn't seem to want to preach such things.

The second notable incident is that Benny Hinn (of all people) took him to task for an interview Joel had with Oprah. Oprah asked a tough question (something like, "Is Jesus the only way") And Joel refused to say, "Yep. That's what the Bible says". I'm not a big fan of Benny, but he was spot on in his criticism of Joel. You can probably google "Benny Hinn vs. Joel Osteen" and find the youtube video of it.

You may also be able to google and find the video of Joel saying that in the Oprah interview. I've seen it and he did say it.

I have no problem defending Joel when it's called for.... He was recently robbed and that's wrong.... A preacher/group from Minnesota attacked him about a year ago for some things taken out of context having to to with homosexuality, and I support Joel on that. But the bottom line for me is that he doesn't preach ALL the Bible and also what he said in the Oprah interview.

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Yeah, I remember hearing something about an oprah interview of his. Will check it out.

And like I said, his weekly television broadcast is on the light side, for he is trying to lift the oppressed, serious teachings would kind of just be too hard to focus on. I know, I was/am still there.
His bible studies are not televised. :)

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Osteen is an inspirational and motivational speaker, but if you want to learn anything biblical, he's not much of a preacher. He makes people feel good about themselves, therein lies his popularity. jmo

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Osteen's preaching only touches half of the story. It would seem to leave out the part that involves afflictions and inexplicable bad things happening to people. The problem with this style of preaching that while it is indeed uplifting, it lends to much credence to you having control over your life by more or less speaking (there is some power in having a positive attitude, IMHO) things into being which is not how it works.

It also tends to make one feel inadequate when things don't work; the negative assumption being that one doesn't have enough faith to overcome something.

Joel Osteen's theology doesn't even deal with narratives like Job.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
His makeup and hair and clothing and presentation are always perfect , almost seems too perfect , he is nice and he is positive and pleasant to listen to , and certainly there is a need for some people to be pulled out of the negative doldrums so he has his place within the realm of preachers

I have no problem with Christians being prosperous , it is just that the prosperity preachers are the ones who have the growing bank accounts and the donor has less in his account at the end of the day .... not sure how that benefits christianity overall.

As far as Oprah .... I think she is more the source of the problem .... years ago she used to profess being a christian .... then she got involved with spiritualists like Eckhart Tolle who mingles Zen Buddhism, Sufism, Hinduism and the Bible ..... and now she apparently believes any path to god will work. .... so she was trying to trap Joel and he did not fall for her trap.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would tell Joel that being Christian is good but also brings troubles, people did hate Jesus in fact and He was Greater than we are.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
About a decade ago, while going to college, I had a vision of the devil running me through the house with me on his back like a sack of potatoes. Well. I wasn't taking that without a fight. I was pounding him for all I was worth, "Devil I rebuke you in the name of Jesus!" I lost a good bit of my hearing and developed a ringing in my ear and a tendency to go on vertigo. My ear doctor basically told me I would be deaf in three years. During this time all the doctrine in the world was not doing me any good. I needed a touch from the Lord Jesus Christ along with faith, hope, and the strength to endure the trials at hand. It was then that Joel Osteen did me a lot of good and I would faithfully tune into to the live Lakewood feed.

I do not listen to Joel like I use to but there was a time that he did me a lot of good. I still got mild hearing loss from the trials but believe God daily for complete healing.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
......like lukewarm, vanilla custard

B

brakelite

I have labored through several of Osteens sermons, and never did I see him preach or teach from the Bible. His messages were all self-help inspirational messages that had little to do with faith, repentance, trust in God, righteous living, or even the gospel. Jesus was seldom, if ever mentioned. His sacrifice on calvary never mentioned. The resurrection power that changes character never mentioned. Osteens teachings may not be obviously unbibilical, but nor are they Christ centered.
If you are depressed or need some encouragement, and you believe that within yourself is the answer to your problems, then follow Joel Osteen by all means. But if you know yourself to be a sinner needing forgiveness from a merciful God and a change of heart, and you believe Jesus when He said "without Me ye can do nothing", then run away from Osteen for he thinks that the power to overcome is inside of you, and all it needs is to be unlocked; this is unbiblical, rather, run to Jesus and find out what Truth means...go to the Bible.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
first let me say if being prosperous is wrong then God who owns everything has sinned too. so if you believe prosperity it not biblical then God cannot be perfect because He own everything. aren't we to follow God's example?

i used to watch joel osteen on cable but have not watched him in quite some time due to nothaving cable any longer. i thought he was very good.

i have to go

God bless

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
laid renard said:
When I had cable I use to watch his televised program. His positivity helps me. I feel he truly ministers to a certain category of people, those who need lifting. And there are so many of us. I suffer from depression and missed his daily pep talks, so now I sometimes go to his site and watch it there.
But it was always when I was at my lowest when I would stumble upon his program and it would minister to me greatly, almost as if by divine appointment.
At the beginning of his program he lifts up the bible and gives it and God the glory, and at the end he leads the lost in the sinner's prayer, and in his word of edification he mentions God's principles. Sounds biblical to me. He is the pastor of a church in Lakewood, where the in depth bible study is done.
Yes, he makes money with his books, but don't all authors ? I like how this article mentions that his televised program doesn't ask for donations. I never noticed that. But it makes sense. How can you try to lift someone while asking them for money ?
Yes, I like him.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-christians-hate-joel-osteen-1012565.html

But still, like the author of this article asks, why do people hate him ? If anyone has any info as to him preaching contrary to God's word I will most certainly take that into consideration. But it will have to be in video form, like him saying an unbiblical remark during an interview, for I have no confidence in heresay.

I like this man's uplifting ministry, but if he is unbiblical in other realms I would have no desire to watch him anymore.

Please post the gist of the unbiblical principle he is teaching, and not just the link alone.

Trying to find out the truth,

God Bless~

I have seen Joel Osteen on tv-- He stands there and tells 1000,s of people( he doesn't know 1 10th of them. that if they say 3 lines of prayer with him they are born again( saved)--- yet in reality most of them walk the broad and spacious path that leads to destruction--Why is that? This is why--2 Corinthians 11:12-15)-- he doesn't have a clue as to who will be saved. He cannot read their true hearts, nor has he ever seen the book of life.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kjw47 said:
I have seen Joel Osteen on tv-- He stands there and tells 1000,s of people( he doesn't know 1 10th of them. that if they say 3 lines of prayer with him they are born again( saved)--- yet in reality most of them walk the broad and spacious path that leads to destruction--Why is that? This is why--2 Corinthians 11:12-15)-- he doesn't have a clue as to who will be saved. He cannot read their true hearts, nor has he ever seen the book of life.
it is easy to criticize others. it is all up the individual person saying the prayer if they want to make Jesus Lord of their life. it is not joel osteen's job to make them take the correct path but to expose the gospel to those that need to hear it so they are able to decide for themselves if they choose to either accept or reject the gospel. it is God's job to convict us. at one time we all walked the broad and spacious path at one time or another so we need to learn not to judge.

God bless

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Olsteen isn't a bad person - I am just not into motivational speakers......they remind me of 'life coaches'.

kjw47

Feb 18, 2014
7angels said:
it is easy to criticize others. it is all up the individual person saying the prayer if they want to make Jesus Lord of their life. it is not joel osteen's job to make them take the correct path but to expose the gospel to those that need to hear it so they are able to decide for themselves if they choose to either accept or reject the gospel. it is God's job to convict us. at one time we all walked the broad and spacious path at one time or another so we need to learn not to judge.

God bless

You missed the point--he tells them while they are still walking the broad and spacious path that they are saved( its a lie) fornicators he tells--drunkards he tells, drug addicts, adulterers. greedy, hatefilled,etc---its a lie. a teacher of darkness.
Same with the lie---once saved always saved.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My favorite church service ever... The order of service was great...

1. Opening
2. Song
3. Prayer
4. More Song
5. Special Song (Love is the more excellent way)
6. Preaching
7. Closing with altar call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_e28NYb1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z97wvigyovs

Reactions: laid renard

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
^ Oh I gotta watch that when I get home from work tomorrow!! It's late now where I am. Thanks for posting that Rockytopva. :)

ps

Country roads, take me home to the place I belong.
West Virginia, mountain momma, take me home, country roads.

:D

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
7angels said:
first let me say if being prosperous is wrong then God who owns everything has sinned too. so if you believe prosperity it not biblical then God cannot be perfect because He own everything. aren't we to follow God's example?
Pursuing riches is following the devils example, not God's.

God lay aside all He had and died for us. But, don't trust me, let's see what God has to say:

Matt 19:24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.
Mark 10:21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.

So, what God are you following, Jesus (never rich on earth) or the devil (very rich on earth)?

God may bless us with riches to witness to the rich. Christians are to use their brain and be smart businessman...no gripes there....BUT we are not to pursue riches like a devilish shark, stepping on others and preaching a liberal message that caters for / draws a big congregation.

God is definitely using Joel...but God also uses the devil....I would be surprised to see any liberal preachers in heaven! Matt 7:22, 2 Tim 4:3.