How should the church service be structured

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some of the Baptist Churches in Australia are strictly non-charismatic and follow a cessationist doctrine, it's pretty sad, one of the baptist Churches nearby is non-charismatic and they only have a few members, but they all where suits and ties like you say though and seem to have some sort of dress code.

Then of course there are other baptists like Crossway Baptist, which of course is a Charismatic Baptist Church.
I used to be a member of Blackburn Baptist which is now Crossways. It is only a very mild version of charismatic in that they do not deny the baptism of the Spirit and in the house meetings, you could speak in tongues. Whilst I was there I introduced them to water baptism in the name of Jesus which they adopted.

Reactions: Josho

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just an anecdotal story. In the UK I was part of a charismatic church that evolved out of the Brethren Church. Every week we had a full house and the meetings would go for hours. There were no demands for conformity to dress codes although I would have to say that the ladies looked splendid in their outfits and did us proud.

Just around the corner was a Strict Baptist Church and we would pass the people walking to church (maybe they were not allowed to use cars). The men, in particular, all wore exactly the same outfit right down to the smallest boy. A white shirt, black tie, black suite, black socks, and highly polished black shoes and they all carried a black bible and their hair was immaculate and they never smiled.

We never saw more than about a dozen of them so I guess they did not experience a full house as we did. You can draw all sorts of inferences from that.

Well, on its face uniformity has its pluses. For example, in private schools common uniforms deemphasize selfishness and self-aggrandizement. In the military it is the same. It is the common goal that is emphasized--not the individual.

On the other hand, diversity is the strength of a society or of any group. To restrict individualism we do at our own peril.

A major movement here in the US was the Calvary Chapel movement in S. CA. Pastor Chuck Smith began to let "hippies" into his church, who were coming out of a movement that sort of "dropped out" of the establishment, to protest the Vietnam War and excessive materialism. The movement greatly expanded all across America, and contributed to a new kind of music, contemporary Christian music.

To let the Holy Spirit change people on the inside pastors needed to not over-emphasize the outside. Who cares how long the young men's hair was, or whether they wore blue jeans and went about barefoot, as long as they were responsive to the Gospel? God could deal with the inside, and eventually it would show up on the outside.

There is much to be said about not trying to take over the role of the Holy Spirit in changing people. We should indeed deal with moral issues. But the externals should not be over-emphasized. The person, to be sincere, must be allowed to make his or her own calculated and conscientious choices. Thanks.

Reactions: marksman

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Silly Catholic.

You must post an entire verse, then say what the verse says, line by line.

What a phony way to communicate an idea by saying "all these verses......mean this....."

That is mass commentary-ville.

This is how you appear as a phony.

Now, just post a verse then explain it, and I will see if you are correct or incorrect.
Okay, as soon as YOU tell me which part if the mass is "commentary-ville".

I'll wait here for your response . . .

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, as soon as YOU tell me which part if the mass is "commentary-ville".

I'll wait here for your response . . .
All of it.

The entire mass is a mix of Christianity, Judaism and Paganism.

The program of that magnitude is not Biblical, but commentary based.

Stand, sit, kneel...stand, sit, kneel...pray to statues....dip in "holy water"...speak or pray in vain repetitions together...etc.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of it.

The entire mass is a mix of Christianity, Judaism and Paganism.

The program of that magnitude is not Biblical, but commentary based.

Stand, sit, kneel...stand, sit, kneel...pray to statues....dip in "holy water"...speak or pray in vain repetitions together...etc.
Translation:
"I stuck my foot in my mouth again - and I can't get it out."

Next time, try to present some actual evidence, sparky . . .

Reactions: historyb

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Translation:
"I stuck my foot in my mouth again - and I can't get it out."

Next time, try to present some actual evidence, sparky . . .
Well, I used to practice that phony, unBiblical RCC lifestyle...Stand, sit, kneel...stand, sit, kneel...pray to statues....dip in "holy water"...speak or pray in vain repetitions together...etc.

Egad!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I used to practice that phony, unBiblical RCC lifestyle...Stand, sit, kneel...stand, sit, kneel...pray to statues....dip in "holy water"...speak or pray in vain repetitions together...etc.

Egad!
Well, if you were praying to statues - tat makes you an idolator and you definitely didn't learn that in the Catholic Church.

As for praying in "vain repetitions" - you must have learned that from the pagans that Jesus spoke of (Matt. 6:7) because we don't do that either.
Like Jesus, when HE prayed repetitiously (Matt. 26:44) - our prayers are pleasing to God.

STUDY your Bible before you make stupid claims, dude . . .

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if you were praying to statues - tat makes you an idolator and you definitely didn't learn that in the Catholic Church.

As for praying in "vain repetitions" - you must have learned that from the pagans that Jesus spoke of (Matt. 6:7) because we don't do that either.
Like Jesus, when HE prayed repetitiously (Matt. 26:44) - our prayers are pleasing to God.

STUDY your Bible before you make stupid claims, dude . . .
I was an idolator from my RCC youth until adulthood.

I was taught idolatry from the RCC.

I shook the hook and stopped bowing before the statue of Joseph, Mary and the baby Jesus in 1979.

You should be proud of me for coming out from "her and not being a future partaker of her plagues".

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was an idolator from my RCC youth until adulthood.
Uh huh, and if you were an idolator, you certainly weren't Catholic.
That sort of nonse se is forbidden in the Church . . .

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Silly.

Every statue(graven image) in the RCC is idolatry....

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above.....

Right?

Mary, Jesus, Joseph etc?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Silly.

Every statue(graven image) in the RCC is idolatry....

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above.....

Right?

Mary, Jesus, Joseph etc?
WRONG.

You need to open up your dusty Bible and turn to Exod. 25:18 where God COMMANDED Moses to place TWO GOLDEN CHERUBIM ono top of the Ark.

When you’re done there, blow the dust off your Bible and turn to Num. 21:8-9 and read where God COMMANDED Moses to fashion a BRONZE SERPENT and place it on a pole, so that when the people gazed upon it, they would be cured.

God’s commandment against graven images is about the WORSHIP of them as godsNOT the making of them.

If that were the case then YOU and every other Catholic-hater would be guilty of idolatry for carrying a picture of YOURSELF on your driver’s license – or all of the pictures of your kids and Aunt Winnie on your mantle at home.

Stop quoting the Bible until you LEARN what it means, Einstein.

This is like debating with an obstinate, ignorant child . . .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Chameleons adapt to their environment but the fundamental beast does not change.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.

You need to open up your dusty Bible and turn to Exod. 25:18 where God COMMANDED Moses to place TWO GOLDEN CHERUBIM ono top of the Ark.

When you’re done there, blow the dust off your Bible and turn to Num. 21:8-9 and read where God COMMANDED Moses to fashion a BRONZE SERPENT and place it on a pole, so that when the people gazed upon it, they would be cured.

God’s commandment against graven images is about the WORSHIP of them as godsNOT the making of them.

If that were the case then YOU and every other Catholic-hater would be guilty of idolatry for carrying a picture of YOURSELF on your driver’s license – or all of the pictures of your kids and Aunt Winnie on your mantle at home.

Stop quoting the Bible until you LEARN what it means, Einstein.

This is like debating with an obstinate, ignorant child . . .

You just debunked the word of God with the word of God.

Typical RCC deduction....

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just debunked the word of God with the word of God.
Typical RCC deduction....
Uh huh - tell me that AFTER you've thrown out your wedding pictures and all the photos of your kids growing up.
THEN, we'll talk, my Scripturally-bankrupt friend . . .

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh huh - tell me that AFTER you've thrown out your wedding pictures and all the photos of your kids growing up.
THEN, we'll talk, my Scripturally-bankrupt friend . . .
What are your graven images of Mary saying to you folks today?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chameleons adapt to their environment but the fundamental beast does not change.
I don't know if he's a "chameleon" - but he would have had to confess that if he were Catholic.
Idolatry is a grave sin.