I witnessed someone speaking in tongues today

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you @Willie T reminds me He is not finished with me yet. Bless you
If you would like to experience a view of God's love for you that most Bibles fail to show us, the Passion Translation (TPT) is a new, heart-level translation, using Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic manuscripts, that expresses God’s fiery heart of love to this generation, merging the emotion and life-changing truth of God’s Word. If you’re hungry for God and want to know him on a deeper level, The Passion Translation will help you encounter God’s heart and discover what he has for your life.

This will take you to the well-known 23rd Psalm... but translated as a truly grateful Hebrew would have sung it. (The rest of the New Testament can be searched from here.)
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 23 - The Passion Translation

Be sure to take time to absorb the FOOTNOTES. They are as important as the reading, itself.

Last edited:

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was the first verse I learned.(kjv) I was 6. I thrived, joy was overflowing. A very comfortable missionary church, a few blocks from home was were you could find me. But life changed. My family fell apart. At 10 you don't understand those things, thought it was my fault.. thought God hated me. Life was hard without Him.

It's a long walk alone, I'm so grateful He kept knocking at my heart.. GLORY TO OUR FATHER THRU HIS SON JESUS CHRIST! Amen!!

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then I will keep my mouth shut... cause I didn't understand what I said.:(
Please don't hurt God by doing that. (Edification is not education) We can be edified by being around a happy baby, and neither we nor the baby knows what its cooing and gurgling mean.

God gave you that gift. Use it whenever you feel you need or want to, and God will smile just as you smile at a baby.

Reactions: Acolyte

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Click here for: TPT ………………. Click here for ASV: Romans 8:26
And in a similar way, the Holy Spirit takes hold of us in our human frailty to empower us in our weakness. For example, at times we don’t even know how to pray, or know the best things to ask for. But the Holy Spirit rises up within us to super-intercede on our behalf, pleading to God with emotional sighs too deep for words.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acolyte
D

Dave L

TPT Romans 8:26
And in a similar way, the Holy Spirit takes hold of us in our human frailty to empower us in our weakness. For example, at times we don’t even know how to pray, or know the best things to ask for. But the Holy Spirit rises up within us to super-intercede on our behalf, pleading to God with emotional sighs too deep for words.
That is the Spirit, not us.

D

Dave L

Are you trying to say The Holy Spirit (who is part of God) would groan at Himself? "No", He lets us make indistinguishable utterances to Him because we do not have the words.
It says the Spirit groans, not us.
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” (Romans 8:26)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you couldn't be edified in this group because there was no gift of interpretation. What he did was out of order, biblically.

No, actually it wasn't' because he prayed in English afterwards, and his prayer in English was very likely the interpretation. See 1 Corinthians 14:13-15.

Are you trying to say The Holy Spirit (who is part of God)

The Holy Spirit is God; not just a part of Him.

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says the Spirit groans, not us.
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” (Romans 8:26)
Why did you change the word "Himself" to 'ITSELF'? (Click on your own reference to see the verse as it was written.)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if you take a recorded tongues message around, you will get that many different interpretations.
That's the most accurate thing you've said in a while. It is exactly what happened at Pentecost. An Apostle could only have been uttering one audible thing, and yet that single sound would have sounded like 15 different languages to 15 different people.... even as drunken gibberish to a few.

Reactions: Acolyte and Helen

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Me too, I was doing housework, alone, singing praises.. it really scared me. I hope that is not blasphemas, it's also why I closed my mouth. Not wanting to offend our Father.

Acolyte,

There is no problem singing or praying in tongues when you are alone at home as you are speaking to God and edifying yourself:

2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves (1 Cor 14:2-4 NIV).​

I encourage you to continue praising God when you are alone and doing the housework. You might like to keep the volume down as your neighbours won't understand.

It is biblically legitimate to edify oneself by speaking in tongues. In a group, the gift of interpretation is needed as well (1 Cor 14:6-19 NIV).

Oz

Reactions: Acolyte and Helen