if only ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
if only scriptures were rightly interpreted and understood there would be no killing or hating oneself and others especially our enemies for we would be killing ourselves and our own - without any doubt we accept that the earliest Christians were non Christians but find it difficult to accept that all Christians have been non Christians - twinc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if only scriptures were rightly interpreted and understood
God never misinterprets or misunderstands a thing. If we follow Him can we go wrong? Trusting the interpretations and understandings of men is what has always gotten men into trouble with God.

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Prov 3:5-6

there would be no killing or hating oneself and others especially our enemies for we would be killing ourselves and our own
Indeed once they are put out of the garden, the first killing we read about is one man murdering his brother. Who are our brethren?

"But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matt 12:48-50

- without any doubt we accept that the earliest Christians were non Christians but find it difficult to accept that all Christians have been non Christians - twinc
People have difficulty accepting what they do not understand. What is a Christian according to the word itself other than a follower of Christ? But what or who is Christ that we are to follow? It would perhaps surprise some of us to realize how many people bear the label of Christian and do not know what or who Christ is?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't have it both ways. Christians cannot be non-Christians at one and the same time.
When and if they are double minded or double tongued are they not switching back and forth?

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be." James 3:8-10

Yes, these things ought not to be, but since James wrote the letter, presumably it was happening then among believers. Is it not also happening to some today who hold themselves out to be Christians? So maybe part of the problem is in who really is a follower of Christ always or sometimes or not at all. How close are any of us to "always"? Are any of us there yet?

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
You can't have it both ways. Christians cannot be non-Christians at one and the same time.

it seems they can as illustrated by Amadeus and I agree but that is not the thrust of my post - so here we go again not only are scriptures being misunderstood but even what I am writing = not at one and the same time = different times if scriptures are rightly interpreted imho - twinc

Reactions: amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...but even what I am writing = not at one and the same time = different times...
Christians -- by definition -- cannot rocket back and forth between being children of God at one point and children of the devil at another, then children of God again, etc. That is total absurdity and totally unscriptural.

Yes Christians can and do sin, and God has provided a way to deal with our present sins, in order to maintain fellowship with the Father and the Son (see 1 John 1 & 2). No Christian will be sinlessly perfect, yet every believer will be deemed to be righteous before God and justified by grace through faith. That is our POSITION in Christ.

So it would appear that you not understood the meaning of salvation, hence the confusion.

Reactions: Nancy and soul man

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Christians -- by definition -- cannot rocket back and forth between being children of God at one point and children of the devil at another, then children of God again, etc. That is total absurdity and totally unscriptural.

Yes Christians can and do sin, and God has provided a way to deal with our present sins, in order to maintain fellowship with the Father and the Son (see 1 John 1 & 2). No Christian will be sinlessly perfect, yet every believer will be deemed to be righteous before God and justified by grace through faith. That is our POSITION in Christ.

So it would appear that you not understood the meaning of salvation, hence the confusion.

the confusion is not at this end - Jesus as saviolur of the world of His sheep [who hear his voice] has not and will not and cannot fail imho - twinc

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture is the living word of God and it is the Holy Spirit who gives us the revelation knowledge of it's truth....I can read a scripture over and over again and not gain much from it until one day.....LIGHT BULB.....the revelation knowledge of it is opened to me to understand it's content. Since scripture is a living word that indicates it progressively develops in the believers understanding of it as they grow in it. For example.....when I first started reading the Bible for myself I asked the Holy Spirit where to begin....He said Proverbs....so I began and the first thing that hit me was to search for wisdom, knowledge and understanding....like hidden treasure. I thought about how men spent their lives digging for gold and searching for the hid treasures of it in the gold rush days so I thought this wisdom thing must be buried deep in the Word and must be hard to find. I searched and searched....read scriptures that cross-referenced anything related to wisdom...then one day (about 6 months later) I came across the scripture that said if any man lack wisdom let him ask of God who giveth abundantly and upbraideth not and it shall be given him. But this is how I came to getting wisdom from God.....is it the same for others? I can't say for sure but everyone seems to have a different testimony of how a certain scripture ministered to them.
So in conclusion, the different interpretations being rightly understood...well that is where the Holy Spirit comes in and if that person is being led of the Holy Spirit to rightly divide the truth then He will open up their understanding of it.....to those who are not led of the Holy Spirit they will be stuck on the milk of the Word and never get to the meat.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess what I meant to say is that scripture cannot be interpreted with the carnal mind....this is where the misinterpretation tends to happen. It must be revealed to us through His Spirit.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Isn't that why Jesus when speaking of the wheat and tares said.."Don't pull the tares out...unless you pull out wheat by mistake...
.....wait ..until the harvest "

When all will be fully identified.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't that why Jesus when speaking of the wheat and tares said.."Don't pull the tares out...unless you pull out wheat by mistake...

exactly so = right hand and left hand/sheep and goats/wheat and tares = hell is only for devils not Christians imho - twinc

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

yes, we don't suddenly get any less conflicted after making a profession, and Scripture describes us as "two men" for a reason. Don't let anyone tell you that the Bible does not recognize us as we are imo

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"
Emperor Constantine the Great was a life-long devotee of the cult of Sol Invictus (the Invincible Sun), and he cleverly deflated the natural liberation movement by applying its signature names and phrases to the core elements of the Roman Imperial cult. So doing he diverted its painstakingly wrought social energies into a revived version of the time honored paganism of Rome. The pantheon of demigods now became called saints (deified humans), the divine and elite political hierarchy was dubbed clergy, amulets became icons, magic chants became prayers, spells became blessings and invocations curses, and of course the divine representative of the Pantokrator was the holy emperor himself! The world of the Lord of Life is based on natural economy and thus diversity (Galatians 2:11) but Constantine turned it into a graven image that grew ever more rigid; Christianity's library of immutable doctrines took the place of Rome' rows of marble idols.

Thanks to Constantine and his councils, creeds and exclusive canon (which blatantly opposed Paul's inclusive assertion that all writing is θεοπνευστος, theopneustos; 2 Timothy 3:16), the detrimental atheism of the liberation movement became the wholly dependable monotheistic religion of imperial Christianity. And although the deception worked like a miracle, it needed some nifty folklore to get really going.

The search for the "historical Jesus" pretty much started with Constantine's mother Helena, who lived two and a half centuries after Mary and Jesus of Nazareth but still managed to unearth the one and only true cross of Christ. This is remarkable since hundreds of thousands of people had been crucified in the century of Jesus and crosses were recycled until they fell apart. Even more remarkable, the one and only true cross of Christ still had the Titulus Crucis — the plaque that declared Jesus' regality in Hebrew, Greek and Latin — attached to it, which Helena duly purloined and carried home in lucrative triumph.

Though Helena is still widely venerated for her efforts, the story is really rather absurd and shows very little sensitivity to both the nature of the original Jesus movement and the wholesale destruction of the Jewish world in the years following 70 AD. But then, neither Constantine nor Helena cared much about the actual gospel and were mostly interested in extending the emperor cult some badly needed divine swagger. Both Jesus and Constantine came from humble origins, and both Mary and Helena had been abandoned by their husbands (which conveniently explained why there's no Joseph at Golgotha). The whole Jesus-son-of-Mary thing matched the Constantine-son-of-Helena thing like a glove and demonstrated beyond the need for further investigation that Constantine was destined to be the vestige of whichever god on earth.

Much of our intuitive and folkloristic understanding of the Bible comes from the traditional church, which is a post-Constantinian Roman institution and has nothing to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ and everything with Roman Imperialism. Subsequently, the traditional church has had very little reason to preserve or even reflect the concerns of the Bible authors, and has always been nearly wholly invested in forwarding the pagan models that keeps flocks conveniently fearful and compliant. In political Rome family ties were hugely important and the early formal church built its mythology on the assumption that the mother and (half-) brothers of Jesus must have been at least half as holy as he, and certainly automatically part of Jesus' missionary apparatus, since he, just like any Roman Caesar, would surely surround himself with siblings and cousins.

In the Bible, of course, things work quite the opposite and nobody gets any glory on account of a famous brother (or else we would have heard more from the brothers of David). Jesus even literally explained that whoever did the will of his Father was his brother and sister and mother (Matthew 12:50), and the Biblical Marian character reflects precisely that.

The Titulus Crucis
" http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Mary.html#.W1ox6tJKiUk

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When and if they are double minded or double tongued are they not switching back and forth?

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be." James 3:8-10

Yes, these things ought not to be, but since James wrote the letter, presumably it was happening then among believers. Is it not also happening to some today who hold themselves out to be Christians? So maybe part of the problem is in who really is a follower of Christ always or sometimes or not at all. How close are any of us to "always"? Are any of us there yet?
This sister is not even close to "always"...but! Have come a very long way from where I began ♥

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess what I meant to say is that scripture cannot be interpreted with the carnal mind....this is where the misinterpretation tends to happen. It must be revealed to us through His Spirit.
Totally agree and yes! I have read a slew of scripture for years, but many of them did not "turn on that light-bulb" for me until I understood the role of The Holy Spirit...years later! Many scriptures came to life for me the more I allowed myself to be led By Him and Him alone.

Reactions: Heart2Soul