If We Protestants Truly Hated Catholics...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

i dunno if i am misreading or what, but you testify to an occasion "by yourself," and then relate a story about a scenario with other people, right, so i am confused there i guess sorry. Your wife and yourself witnessed what, exactly? That might serve
Okay, sorry, I will make it more clear. The first encounter or incident took place when I was on my own, working on a mezzanine floor in a chemical factory. My co-workers were on the ground floor, we were all minding our own business. I had been a Christian for only a couple of months. I was 24 years old at the time and I cannot describe what I saw or felt, suffice to say that I was left so shaken and terrified I had to leave work and go home. It was supernatural, and I wasn't stoned. I saw, and felt it. And it was pure evil. At the time, being just a new Christian, I had no defense against such an attack. It freaked me out totally. Prayer with my pastor over the phone from the factory phone helped, but I felt physically sick for hours.
18 months later I was married, living on the other side of the country, and moved into a small house with my wife, and we together experienced further incidents and encounters with such beings...this time my wife saw them, I could feel them, sensing the evil of their presence. I wasn't afraid of them then, and would get angry and demand they leave. They would, but this particular house seemed to attract them.
ON another occasion we had invited a young man to our home for dinner. His mother was a witch in another city. He and I were working together and I had been witnessing to him. He would tell me stories of astral travel that he would take part in. Anyway, after saying goodnight at the front gate after a pleasant evening talking and sharing, my wife and I went back inside and immediately sensed the presence again of evil angels. Again, I demanded they leave in Jesus name. They did.
These incidents were real. Along with the later one I mentioned involving a friend. Not figments of imagination. Spiritual powers are warring constantly against God's people. The warfare is real, and one can choose to ignore it and not believe and thus not get involved, or accept it and get out on the front lines and go to battle. Either way the war is over our minds. We are the prize. While the scripture clearly says that God uses angels to minister to His people, (I have 'seen' them also) we can be sure, absolutely certain, that there are numerous evil angels, fallen angels, that do all they can to distract, confuse, deceive, and tempt God's people also. Only they have no qualms over the weapons they use. God's angels use love. The devil uses whatever he can get his hands on. Even other Christians who doubt his existence.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In reference to epostles post above...that is what you get when she puts someone on ignore...confusion as to who is talking to who.
When I wrote of the liberalism of Catholicism is relation to certain cultures, I have seen this personally in Maoridom in New Zealand. IN some parts Catholicism is very strong, yet they hold tightly to many of their old ways which in reality is spiritualism and witchcraft. These things are tolerated by the church so long as they can be classed as Catholic. I believe the it is similar in places like Haiti with voodoo...Brazil with santaria...Africa and Asia also with their local versions of spiritualism. Conversion, as a supernatural change in character and nature to an individual, is not a strong point in Catholic teaching...conversion to a Catholic means more a change in profession and loyalty...from the archbishop of Canterbury to the Pope for example, as was the case with the Anglican priest Newman who went on to become a cardinal. Nothing about converting from sinner to saint, just a nominal change in membership details.
Which is why when after becoming a Christian in 1976 and going back to church after 10 years absence, when I mentioned my (true) conversion to the priest, his face looked like he had swallowed a lemon. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and I don't think most Catholics would.

OH! Am I on her ignore list?! How about that....but that would explain a few things, because I did feel like I was missing something there.

I don't know a lot about the RCC...not about their inner workings, so while I have certain observations and of course opinions, there is always the sense that I cannot really know. I have read about some of the more 'important' differences, I suppose you could categorize it...faith alone, or faith plus...that sort of thing.
But as far as witnessing Catholicism "in action", all I have to go on is what I've seen in my own community. Growing up the Catholic's were, I always thought, a strange breed. It was more of a social club than a gathering of the faithful. I saw the same people who trooped off to Mass, then head off to the pub...and the B&S (and if you're from AU then you KNOW that that is suspect!!). I could have almost guaranteed that most of them were not saved, they just "went to church" 'cause they were Catholics. The interesting thing now is, there seems to have been a bit of a revival sweep through the Catholic Church. Several of the youngish wives "got Jesus" and are super passionate about him. They are all about prayer and bible reading. They are almost charismatic in how they come across...they just go to the Catholic Church! I know they pray faithfully for the rest of their families and partners. I have no doubt that they really gave Christ their hearts. So it's interesting to me that sometimes it doesn't matter where you are...if God calls you, then your election is sure.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nowhere did I say "calls the Pope master".
Catholics see the Pope as a fellow human being, who confesses his sins like Catholics are supposed to. One title you don't see is "Servant of the Servants of the People of God". Another: "First Among Equals"
The Pope is a regular bishop for the diocese of Rome, the same as any bishop anywhere in the world.
Down through history, whoever bishop held that "chair" becomes Pope, because it's the Chair of Peter.
Pope Clement was the 4th Pope while the Apostle John was still alive. John could not be Pope because Jesus already gave him his own chair.
The Pope is head of state for the smallest country in the world, his office is traced back to St. Peter in succession, is spiritual leader of 1.2 billion people, and is the moral authority for nations (few listen to him anyway).
We call him "Holy Father" because his office is holy.
He prefers to eat with the homeless rather than big shots.
On Holy Thursday he washed the feet of prisoners and drug addicts.
I could go on about our beloved Pope.
Loyal Catholics give him the love and respect fitting for his office, and we get excited when we see him.

Contrary to what is propagated by anti-Catholics, the pope is not a power hungry control freak.

Hi...so brakelite has just given me some wonderful understanding! I think what is happening here is that I must be having a conversation with people who are on your "ignore" list. So...some of the things I've been discussing and saying have been in response to them. So, when you say you haven't said..., well, you haven't!! Someone else did!

B

brakelite

Hi...so brakelite has just given me some wonderful understanding! I think what is happening here is that I must be having a conversation with people who are on your "ignore" list. So...some of the things I've been discussing and saying have been in response to them. So, when you say you haven't said..., well, you haven't!! Someone else did!
Hi, actually I don't think you are on her ignore list...its me. When I mentioned a little above regarding 'calling the pope master' she responded as if it were you that said that. She likes to put anyone she dislikes/disagrees with/tells the truth on ignore...which is why she will never learn anything beyond her own very narrow RCC paradigm.

B

brakelite

Growing up the Catholic's were, I always thought, a strange breed. It was more of a social club than a gathering of the faithful. I saw the same people who trooped off to Mass, then head off to the pub...and the B&S (and if you're from AU then you KNOW that that is suspect!!). I could have almost guaranteed that most of them were not saved, they just "went to church" 'cause they were Catholics.
Sis, I used to be one of those strange breed. And yes, I knew no-one who testified to knowing Jesus. Knew many who were deeply and sincerely Catholic, to the point of having little fonts by their front door so that they could dip their fingers into the 'holy water' (yes, a Priest would visit every so often to 'bless' the water). And yep, one local pub was open to 3 in the morning (6pm being the legal closing time in those days in NZ) the owner a very devout Catholic Irishman. We could knock on the back door well after hours, enter, and find at least one of the local parish priests 'in residence', smoking and swearing with the best of them. Oh, and my friends and I of course were no better, and underage as well. But the local cop was in there as well...he was our rugby coach so....

Several of the youngish wives "got Jesus" and are super passionate about him. They are all about prayer and bible reading. They are almost charismatic in how they come across...they just go to the Catholic Church! I know they pray faithfully for the rest of their families and partners. I have no doubt that they really gave Christ their hearts. So it's interesting to me that sometimes it doesn't matter where you are...if God calls you, then your election is sure.
That is great. The time will come though when they will have to make the biggest decision of their lives...choose whether to come out if indeed they are God's people. (Revelation 18:4)

PS. I'm a kiwi...what is a B&S?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The same number you would expect from any given congregation of a full range of age groups. Yes, and applied to the here and now; most of the time. In depth scripture study is available in every diocese by qualified teachers, not sideways sharing. Priests are not obligated to quote what had just been read out loud.
A list would do no good, your post is too hostile and arrogant to receive it. I could roughly recount the parables and other parts of Scripture but I don't think you would be satisfied.
A complete summary of all teachings is available on line, plus every encyclical ever proclaimed. For grown ups, spoon feeding isn't done. Children get taught every day in school. Church and schools is the secondary source of education, parents are primary. Less-than-perfect parents is the main reason people leave the Church, IMO.
I've met priests who work 18 hours a day. Some priests are better teachers than others. That doesn't give you the right to make insulting remarks.

I've always found your posts pleasant. Suddenly, you become this angry anti-Catholic, who's expertise is based on the last time you spectated (not participated) a Mass at a wedding or a funeral, and most likely decades before that. I want to be your friend, but how if you are going to be a prejudiced Catholic basher???

2 Timothy 3:
[14] But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, (Tradition)
knowing from whom you learned it (Magisterium)
[15] and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. (Scriptures)
[16] All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
[17] that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Note verse 14-15. It admonishes Timothy to do three things:
1) Remember what you have learned and firmly believed (Tradition)
2) Know from whom you learned it (Magisterium)
3) Know you have the Scriptures

The Bible on St. Paul's list comes in third, not first. He actually gives here the traditional Catholic teaching on the three sources of sound teaching.
In verse 15 he goes into an excursus on the Bible. This brief excursus emphasizes the value of the Bible and recommends a fourfold method of exegesis. This verse was used in the pre-Reformation Church as a proof text for the Quadriga which was the standard Catholic approach to the Bible. The Quadriga method used the following four categories:

Literal/Literary (teaching) - the text as it is written
Analogical (reproof) - matters of faith
Anagogical (correction) - matters of hope/prophecy
Moral (training in righteousness) - matters of charity

The analogical, anagogical and moral senses of the Bible were known collectively as the spiritual senses, still taught today.
The 'reformers' rejected the BIBLICAL fourfold method of exegesis in favor of a more literal approach,
and ignored 2 Tim 3:16!!!

+...

CCC113
2. Read the Scripture within "the living Tradition of the whole Church". According to a saying of the Fathers, Sacred Scripture is written principally in the Church's heart rather than in documents and records, for the Church carries in her Tradition the living memorial of God's Word, and it is the Holy Spirit who gives her the spiritual interpretation of the Scripture (". . . according to the spiritual meaning which the Spirit grants to the Church"81).
Catechism of the Catholic Church

[/QUOTE]
I reread my post. It doesn't sound hostile to me. I don't feel hostile toward the CC. Far from it.

Yes, priests should be obligated to teach on what has just been read. Tie in the O.T., the epistle and the gospel reading. This would be nice since there are persons that go to Mass who will not go to a bible study. Not everybody cares enough to go online, I've had to read encyclicals...they are not the easiest reading to understand unless one already has some background. All I i ever hear at Mass is how God loves us and how we're to image Jesus. This is not enough for this generation,,,they want more. Many have stopped going to church because they don't even understand why they go or what the Mass is. They understand the Mass to be the sacrifice of Christ.

Please not that I live in Italy, so all my posts regard the church here. I cannot know what's going on in the states. I don't agree that parents are the reason kids won't go to Mass...because parents go and their children will not. Mass is full of older persons...hardly any children at all are seen with the slightly younger couples.

I agree that parents are the primary souce of teaching...but they don't know enough to do it! And THEY are also disinterested in church. I feel that if more were known about the Catholic faith (the Christian faith) more would be interested since it is so rich in Tradition and tradition.

And, I'm not a spectator at Mass! I've taught the Mass to kids and know more about it than most --- but there would be even more to know. And I don't go only for funerals or weddings...how come we assume things of each other?

I don't know what the Quadriga method is and am surprised not to since I did study some theology in the CC. I'll be looking into it.

I've learned to read the bible like this:
Literally
Clear verses over obscure verses
Obscure verses must have an explanation
No pre-conceived notions should be brought to the reading.
Church theologians are necessary to interpret scripture...I don't care for personal interpretations since they lead to what we have today...40,000 different churches.
Personal interpretations, which could be God speaking to a person, are very acceptable but not to be taught as Christian doctrine or ideas.

As to priests, I know priests that are tryiing to run 6 to 8 parishes.
They were supposed to be consolidated last spring by the Bishop down in the city, but it didn't happen; I don't know why...no priest will talk - they're probably upset - it'll come out eventually.
So, yes, some work many hours, some do nothing.
What they ALL could do BETTER, is TEACH. I've spoken to the ones I know, they won't do it. Only one does a bible study on Tuesday evenings for a VERY LARGE area and very wide in km. There's a priest that decided to live alone in the church of a small town, he wants to be an "eremita"...even HE won't do a bible study. I'm rather upset about this. He'd be good at it too. I know another priest that taught theology, koine Greek, and he won't either. And these two would have the time --- I know for sure.

Anyway, what I post, I post from experience. No hostility - just the truth.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All I i ever hear at Mass is how God loves us and how we're to image Jesus. This is not enough for this generation,,,they want more

What more can one possibly need? To receive Jesus, experience His love, and take that love out into the world... What more can one possibly want?

Pax!

Reactions: epostle1

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
What more can one possibly need? To receive Jesus, experience His love, and take that love out into the world... What more can one possibly want?

Pax!
You speak as a born again Christian.

What is needed is answers. I've had 8 to 11 year olds in catechism class who were already atheist when they got to me. At the end of the year I'd ask if they changed their mind,,,some said yes, some said no.
They're not happy just to know who God is and what we should do to belong to God. They want to know why they should believe,,,how we could know there is a God.

Ditto for adults.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I reread my post. It doesn't sound hostile to me. I don't feel hostile toward the CC. Far from it.

Yes, priests should be obligated to teach on what has just been read. Tie in the O.T., the epistle and the gospel reading. This would be nice since there are persons that go to Mass who will not go to a bible study. Not everybody cares enough to go online, I've had to read encyclicals...they are not the easiest reading to understand unless one already has some background. All I i ever hear at Mass is how God loves us and how we're to image Jesus. This is not enough for this generation,,,they want more. Many have stopped going to church because they don't even understand why they go or what the Mass is. They understand the Mass to be the sacrifice of Christ.

Please not that I live in Italy, so all my posts regard the church here. I cannot know what's going on in the states. I don't agree that parents are the reason kids won't go to Mass...because parents go and their children will not. Mass is full of older persons...hardly any children at all are seen with the slightly younger couples.

I agree that parents are the primary souce of teaching...but they don't know enough to do it! And THEY are also disinterested in church. I feel that if more were known about the Catholic faith (the Christian faith) more would be interested since it is so rich in Tradition and tradition.

And, I'm not a spectator at Mass! I've taught the Mass to kids and know more about it than most --- but there would be even more to know. And I don't go only for funerals or weddings...how come we assume things of each other?

I don't know what the Quadriga method is and am surprised not to since I did study some theology in the CC. I'll be looking into it.

Literally
Church theologians are necessary to interpret scripture...I don't care for personal interpretations since they lead to what we have today...40,000 different churches.
Personal interpretations, which could be God speaking to a person, are very acceptable but not to be taught as Christian doctrine or ideas.

They were supposed to be consolidated last spring by the Bishop down in the city, but it didn't happen; I don't know why...no priest will talk - they're probably upset - it'll come out eventually.
What they ALL could do BETTER, is TEACH. I've spoken to the ones I know, they won't do it. Only one does a bible study on Tuesday evenings for a VERY LARGE area and very wide in km. There's a priest that decided to live alone in the church of a small town, he wants to be an "eremita"...even HE won't do a bible study. I'm rather upset about this. He'd be good at it too. I know another priest that taught theology, koine Greek, and he won't either. And these two would have the time --- I know for sure.

[/QUOTE]
Why does the lectionary, (book of readings)delivered in the procession at the beginning of Mass, remain at the front at the end of Mass?? "Go in peace to love and serve the Lord" means the Mass is ended, but the Eucharist just received is carried physically in our bodies out to the world. The Word. We become living Tabernacles even without spoonfeeding. Teaching from priests has its place, but it is not the be all and end all of Catholicism. In Protestantism, the pastors sermon is the primary focus of the service. That's fine. In Catholicism, the Eucharist is the soul and summit of the Christian faith.

I subscribe to 4 Catholic news and teaching sites and I get more teaching than I can handle.

http://www.patheos.com

https://stpaulcenter.com/

https://www.quora.com/

https://www.catholicleague.org/

https://www.catholicculture.org/

This site gives full context of what the Pope says, or others, I use it to check against irresponsible journalism that anti-Catholics love so much.
www.zenit.org.

I can't possibly keep up with my emails.

Complaining that priests are hoarding their knowledge and expertise without taking into account all the other factors, is making unrealistic demands on priests, especially the retired. If you have a beef, write a letter to the bishop, signed by as many as possible. Then, what priests do or don't do is his problem, not yours.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Literally

Why does the lectionary, (book of readings)delivered in the procession at the beginning of Mass, remain at the front at the end of Mass?? "Go in peace to love and serve the Lord" means the Mass is ended, but the Eucharist just received is carried physically in our bodies out to the world. The Word. We become living Tabernacles even without spoonfeeding. Teaching from priests has its place, but it is not the be all and end all of Catholicism. In Protestantism, the pastors sermon is the primary focus of the service. That's fine. In Catholicism, the Eucharist is the soul and summit of the Christian faith.

I subscribe to 4 Catholic news and teaching sites and I get more teaching than I can handle.

This site gives full context of what the Pope says, or others, I use it to check against irresponsible journalism that anti-Catholics love so much.
www.zenit.org.

Complaining that priests are hoarding their knowledge and expertise without taking into account all the other factors, is making unrealistic demands on priests, especially the retired. If you have a beef, write a letter to the bishop, signed by as many as possible. Then, what priests do or don't do is his problem, not yours.[/QUOTE]
Write to the bishop!!!
I know the priests I mentioned personally!
I tell Them my thoughts. I worked with one for 6 years.
They've been to my home for lunches.
Let's just let this go.
I like two of the sites you mentioned.
And I agree about the untrue reporting.
Also, not everyone is like you.
Those that attend Mass deserve to know their faith.
It's not hoarding the knowledge,,,but not sharing it.
How are they living Tabernacles, or living stones, if they don't even know what the word Mass means?
Or have the concept of being the temple of God?
It's sad.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You speak as a born again Christian.
Only 'born again Christians' are allowed to receive the Eucharist, so I am not unusual in that respect. But I do wonder if many who have left the Table of the Lord, do so because they never truly understood or believed that Jesus is there...
What is needed is answers. I've had 8 to 11 year olds in catechism class who were already atheist when they got to me. At the end of the year I'd ask if they changed their mind,,,some said yes, some said no.
They're not happy just to know who God is and what we should do to belong to God. They want to know why they should believe,,,how we could know there is a God.

Ditto for adults.

Poor cathechisis can be problematic, I remember being a child in the 70's....

When i taught a confirmation class.. We spent the first 2 months going through the Nicene Creed line by line and working through just those questions.. Why? How? Do we believe this....

And i prayed every day that the Holy Spirit would make up for my own inadequesies, in teaching these young adults...

But regardless of how we were cathechized it is incumbent on ourselves to learn and deepen our faith

And there is 2000 years of our brothers and sisters living that faith to help us find answers to our questions..

Peace!

Reactions: aspen

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi, actually I don't think you are on her ignore list...its me. When I mentioned a little above regarding 'calling the pope master' she responded as if it were you that said that. She likes to put anyone she dislikes/disagrees with/tells the truth on ignore...which is why she will never learn anything beyond her own very narrow RCC paradigm.
Yeah, I got that, thanks. I replied to you first, but then I came to her response and it became obvious. I suppose I can "in theory" understand the upside of the ignore feature, but it does seem to make things a little confusing. If she wants to ignore you, can't she just...well...ignore you?

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
PS. I'm a kiwi...what is a B&S?

Lol! It's short for Bachelors and Spinsters Ball. It started long ago as a nice dance where the singles would have a chance to meet each other. Now it's pretty much nothing more than a good place to go and get drunk and get...something else. Where we live, we have one every year and it's pretty much right behind our house and it's appalling. The noises that come from it...cat-calls, yelling, shrieks. It sounds like a giant orgy with music. Kinda makes me sick.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Only 'born again Christians' are allowed to receive the Eucharist, so I am not unusual in that respect. But I do wonder if many who have left the Table of the Lord, do so because they never truly understood or believed that Jesus is there...

Poor cathechisis can be problematic, I remember being a child in the 70's....

When i taught a confirmation class.. We spent the first 2 months going through the Nicene Creed line by line and working through just those questions.. Why? How? Do we believe this....

And i prayed every day that the Holy Spirit would make up for my own inadequesies, in teaching these young adults...

But regardless of how we were cathechized it is incumbent on ourselves to learn and deepen our faith

And there is 2000 years of our brothers and sisters living that faith to help us find answers to our questions..

Peace!
Only born again Christian's are allowed to receive communion?

Let's see,,,according to what I witness at Mass, that would be 99% of everyone in church!

I don't think so...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Literally

www.zenit.org.

Complaining that priests are hoarding their knowledge and expertise without taking into account all the other factors, is making unrealistic demands on priests, especially the retired. If you have a beef, write a letter to the bishop, signed by as many as possible. Then, what priests do or don't do is his problem, not yours.[/QUOTE]
I love Scott Hahn.
Have his books.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How Can Catholicism Be True When Catholics Are So Dead?

G.K. Chesterton once said that the best argument against Christianity is Christians. That is certainly true of Catholicism. Pope John Paul II, putting it politely, says, "The Catholic Church does not forget that many among her members cause God's plan to be discernible only with difficulty." (Ut Unum Sint, 11). But is that really an argument against the truth of the faith? I don't see how. To argue that Catholicism is untrue because it doesn't transform the lives of those who don't practice it, is like arguing that aspirin doesn't work because it doesn't relieve the headaches of those who don't take it.

My family claims to be Catholic, but they don't take it seriously, either.

Try to remember that many people are Catholic by default. If you ask them what they are, they'll say, "Oh, I'm Catholic." But what they mean is, "My ancestors were Catholic." It's more an ethnicity than a religion for some people. It's what they are, not what they believe.

I agree with the basic teachings and traditions of the Catholic Church. But, I am still in the Baptist church. That is because I don't see enough fruits coming from the Catholic Church.

Actually, it's an individual (not a church) that's supposed to produce good fruit. A church can only proclaim the Gospel and introduce people to the One Who alone can make them bear fruit, but it can't make people believe its teachings, and it can't make people live its life. Good fruit, then, is how we tell if an individual is a faithful disciple. The fact is, you can find plenty of good fruit in the Catholic Church, and you can find plenty of good fruit in the various Protestant churches, too. And that's because the secret to bearing fruit is to have a living, vital relationship with Jesus Christ, who is the source of all grace and life. And because the Catholic Church has been endowed with the fullness of the means of grace that Christ established, a Catholic is able to have the closest possible relationship with Jesus, including even the reality of physical communion with Him.

But notice I say, "is able to have," not "is guaranteed to have." There are indeed plenty of people who call themselves Catholic, but who refuse to believe the Church's teachings, refuse to obey its precepts, and refuse to live the life it calls them to live. Not surprisingly, these people aren't magically converted into living saints just by walking through the Church door. So, if you want to look for fruit, be sure you look on the tree. You can't expect to find fruit on the dried-up branches that have severed themselves from the tree, and that are strewn all about it. I'll be the first to admit that the Catholic faith doesn't work if you don't practice it.

It doesn't work by osmosis, or by genetics, or by proximity. You actually have to believe it, and live it. You have to have a living relationship with the Lord Jesus in order to bear fruit, and many "Catholics" have rejected that relationship, despite being given every opportunity to embrace it.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How can the Catholic Church's claims be true when so many Catholics are so dead?

The Church only claims to announce the Good News of Jesus Christ, and it invites everyone to embrace the life of grace He offers. It does not claim that people who spurn its teachings and reject its life will be transformed into faithful disciples anyway. Nor does it claim that being born to Catholic parents guarantees that a person will inherit his parents' faith.

If you want to see the fruit of the Catholic faith, you have to look at the people who are committed to the faith, who take it seriously and put it into practice every day. It's pointless to look at those who are cultural Catholics only, who say they're Catholic if you ask them, but who don't try to live the life, even though they may go to Mass out of habit, or guilt, or whatever. People aren't magically transformed into good Christians just by walking into a Catholic church (even if they do it every week). Repentance and conversion of heart are the keys to the Christian life. Without them, everything else is sterile and false, whether one calls oneself "Catholic" or not.

I don't see many truly saved people with transformed lives; instead I see many cultural Catholics that think going to Mass one hour a week will get them into Heaven even though they are living otherwise sinful lives.

I've known such people. It's truly sad. But to compare the best Evangelicals with the worst Catholics is hardly fair. If you want to see the real fruit of the Catholic faith, look at the people who actually put it into practice. As you know, the Catholic Church has produced some of the greatest, most on-fire saints the world has ever known. Some of them converted whole nations to Christ. We still marvel at their faith and holiness many centuries after they died.

How can I move from such a dynamic soul-winning church that I am in now into such a seemingly dead church seemingly full of untransformed people?

Before I became Catholic, I asked myself the same question, because I'd heard all sorts of horror stories about how dead the Catholic Church was, and since I'd known several Catholics who were as worldly as any pagan, I believed them. So as I became more and more convinced that the Catholic Church taught the truth, I thought, "But Lord, they're all so dead." And then I remembered His words: "What is that to you? You follow me." And I realized that it really wasn't important whether the guy in the pew next to me was living the faith, it was important whether I was. It was as if the Lord was saying to me, "You need to follow the truth, even if you're the only one who does."

Happily, my fears turned out to be unfounded. I've met plenty of on-fire Catholics since I've joined the Church, and I've found several local parishes where the faith is truly lived and preached.

A girl that I am friends with, who has little knowledge of the theological issues between Catholics and Protestants said simply, "I am not a Catholic because they don't emphasize a personal relationship with Jesus." I am sure that many committed catholics such as yourself have vastly different experiences, but you must admit, the problem of simply going through the motions with little understanding of the significance seems rampant in the Church. Am I being unfair?

Yes. As I said, you're comparing the best Evangelicals with the worst Catholics. But I do think it's easier to be a nominal Catholic than to be a nominal Evangelical. Catholicism is an embodied faith. It's very physical, expressing itself through signs and meaningful rituals and practices. Ideally, those practices are joyful ways of expressing the interior reality of God's grace in our lives. They give form and substance to the reality of our faith. But if that reality isn't there, it's still possible to go through the physical motions of the faith because of habit, or whatever. In other words, it's possible to mistake faith's expression for faith itself, as if the outward signs of our faith, and not the reality they are meant to express, are what's important. That does happen, and it's a shame, because going through the motions won't get anybody to Heaven.

On the other hand, Evangelicalism is largely devoid of physicality. It is a religion almost exclusively characterized by intellectual commitment. Therefore, if you don't have that commitment, there's nothing else there, so you leave. This is good in the sense that it focuses on the primary importance of belief and conversion of heart, and because it's more difficult to fool yourself into thinking you're a "good Christian" when you're not, but Evangelicals really are missing something by not having a rich physical tradition with which to express their faith. When you combine real interior faith with meaningful exterior expression, the result is incredible, believe me. And the best Catholics, like the best Evangelicals, know that a personal relationship with Jesus is the goal of the Christian life. We just have a whole lot of ways to express and experience that relationship.

I spent a summer in Mexico City and a semester in Santiago de Compostela, but with the exception of one little old lady, for all of the students that I met, I can't say that I met any committed Catholics, and this in Catholic countries where virtually everyone would at least say that they are Catholics.
Well, what else would you expect in a "Catholic country"? In some countries, Catholicism is the "default religion." It's what you say you are when someone asks, even if you haven't set foot in a church in years. It's the same with Protestant Christianity in this country. If you ask most Americans what religion they are, they'll say "Well, gee, I'm not Jewish, I'm not Moslem, I'm not Hindu, so I guess I must be Christian." In this country, Christianity is the default religion. And if you ask these people whether they're Catholic or Protestant, most will say "Well, I'm not Catholic, so I guess I must be Protestant." Protestantism is the default version of Christianity in this country. But it would hardly be fair to judge Protestantism based on the people who, if pressed, would say they're Protestants, but who may never have seen the inside of a church, or read a single verse of Scripture. Same goes for judging Catholicism by the so-called Catholics in "Catholic countries."

And yet the Evangelicals that I met almost always were "set apart," meaning they read their Bibles, took their faith seriously, etc.

In a nominally Catholic country, wouldn't you expect the Evangelicals to stand out? And since they've deliberately chosen a religion other than the default religion, wouldn't you expect them to take it more seriously than those who've opted for the default just out of habit or family tradition?
https://www.catholiceducation.org/e...icism-be-true-when-catholics-are-so-dead.html

Last edited: