If We Protestants Truly Hated Catholics...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But who has the authority to determine which doctrine is incorrect? Any "indwelt" with a Bible?
Only God ultimately always has the authority and of course anyone to whom He has given such authority. I have met a few who have presumed or claimed that they have had it, but I cannot say I have definitely met one who I could confirm that he had it... not always.

Reactions: Nancy
B

brakelite

Lol! It's short for Bachelors and Spinsters Ball. It started long ago as a nice dance where the singles would have a chance to meet each other. Now it's pretty much nothing more than a good place to go and get drunk and get...something else. Where we live, we have one every year and it's pretty much right behind our house and it's appalling. The noises that come from it...cat-calls, yelling, shrieks. It sounds like a giant orgy with music. Kinda makes me sick.
Aaaa okay. And this was a Catholic thing? I remember the annual dance at school. My (Catholic) boys high school would meet with the girls high school in a nearby city, along with an armed guard of priests and nuns making absolutely sure that no drunkenness or debauchery took place. At least not inside.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
But who has the authority to determine which doctrine is incorrect? Any "indwelt" with a Bible?
E
The Pope just changed another long-held Catholic belief. If he's right, the church was wrong before,,,if he's wrong, then why does HE get to change rules (and doctrine)?

I'm of the firm opinion that God does not look at our doctrine, but looks at our life.
He might be a bit offended by Calvinist Theology, but He and they will work that out.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Why not?

Pax!
Here's why not PJ

No one can know the heart of the person when they go to the altar. That's between them and God. I'm sure you know that the priest is not even allowed to deny communion.

I live in a very small community. I know many of the persons who live here. I know for sure that some receive communion and then leave church and return to a life of sin.

Does this mean some stop sinning? No! BUT born again Christians do demonstrate a love for God and a changed life. One cannot love God and understand his relationship with God and then gossip, or live with someone, or not be able to forgive, or hate people, or (possibly) steals money, and the such.

I know of one who is married but dating another and the priest knows this and still gives her communion.

Here's what worries me: A person could think that because the priest gives them communion they must surely be saved...this is a false, and dangerous, sense of security.

So, what do YOU think?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here's why not PJ

No one can know the heart of the person when they go to the altar. That's between them and God.

Indeed. Examination of ones concience before receiving is important.

I'm sure you know that the priest is not even allowed to deny communion.

That is incorrect. A priest can refuse anyone communion, but this is a grave matter, and not done lightly.

I live in a very small community. I know many of the persons who live here. I know for sure that some receive communion and then leave church and return to a life of sin.

Perhaps, but Jesus died to save sinners... Thus it is unsurprising to find sinners coming to Him to heal them..
I am not perfect either and i will not condemn my brothers and sisters, i need His mercy as much as they..

Does this mean some stop sinning? No! BUT born again Christians do demonstrate a love for God and a changed life.
One cannot love God and understand his relationship with God and then gossip, or live with someone, or not be able to forgive, or hate people, or (possibly) steals money, and the such.

This goes back to what you said at the beggining.. 'no one knows the heart'

I know of one who is married but dating another and the priest knows this and still givesher communion.

Here's what worries me: A person could think that because the priest gives them communion they must surely be saved...this is a false, and dangerous, sense of security.

So, what do YOU think?

I think that there are indeed some who participate unworthily thus compounding the state that they are in, but what is that to you and me?
Should we abandon the Table because some of our brothers and sisters arent walking as they should?
No rather we should pray for them as well and trust in our Lord and Saviour...
His mercy is greater than our shortcomings...

Peace be with you!

Reactions: epostle1

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Pope just changed another long-held Catholic belief. If he's right, the church was wrong before,,,if he's wrong, then why does HE get to change rules (and doctrine)?

Which belief is that? Rules (discipline) can be changed, doctrine cannot.

Example: celibate priestood is a discipline in the Roman rite.. That can be changed.. Male priesthood is doctrine and cannot be changed..

Pax!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Indeed. Examination of ones concience before receiving is important.

That is incorrect. A priest can refuse anyone communion, but this is a grave matter, and not done lightly.

Perhaps, but Jesus died to save sinners... Thus it is unsurprising to find sinners coming to Him to heal them..
I am not perfect either and i will not condemn my brothers and sisters, i need His mercy as much as they..

This goes back to what you said at the beggining.. 'no one knows the heart'

I think that there are indeed some who participate unworthily thus compounding the state that they are in, but what is that to you and me?
Should we abandon the Table because some of our brothers and sisters arent walking as they should?
No rather we should pray for them as well and trust in our Lord and Saviour...
His mercy is greater than our shortcomings...

Peace be with you!
Who is abandoning the table?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Which belief is that? Rules (discipline) can be changed, doctrine cannot.

Example: celibate priestood is a discipline in the Roman rite.. That can be changed.. Male priesthood is doctrine and cannot be changed..

Pax!
Capital punishment.

I didn't say it's a doctrine.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For the LORD hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.
This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.
I will abundantly bless her provision: I will satisfy her poor with bread.
I will also clothe her priests with salvation: and her saints shall shout aloud for joy." Psalm 132:13-16

Our place of rest, our sabbath if you will: Zion

Give God the glory!

"Pray for the peace of Jerusalem" !! ♥

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm of the firm opinion that God does not look at our doctrine, but looks at our life.
Why not stick with Scripture? God looks at BOTH life and doctrine. See the letters to the seven churches in Revelation.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who is abandoning the table?

Many have left for many different reasons... But leaving because of perceived faults in our brethren is the worst reason one can have imo..

But to bring it back to where we started ..... Every one of those you see coming forward to receive the Eucharist has been baptized into Christ, thus they are all 'born again', children of God, Our brothers and sisters..

Pax!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Why not stick with Scripture? God looks at BOTH life and doctrine. See the letters to the seven churches in Revelation.
So you mean if my doctrine is wrong I'm going to hell?

If OSAS was right, I'm going to hell?
If Calvin was right, I'm going to hell?
If post trib was right, I'm going to hell?
If I was supposed to confess my sins to a priest, I'm going to hell?

etc
etc
etc

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

That means we're ALL going to hell since we can't agree on anything.

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Many have left for many different reasons... But leaving because of perceived faults in our brethren is the worst reason one can have imo..

But to bring it back to where we started ..... Every one of those you see coming forward to receive the Eucharist has been baptized into Christ, thus they are all 'born again', children of God, Our brothers and sisters..

Pax!
I was not speaking about faults of anyone. I have my own faults to worry about.
I was saying that some go to receive communion when the priest clearly knows they are living in sin. I was stating how communion is given to everyone, so, by YOUR standards, everyone in the CC is saved.

Everyone who has been baptized in the CC is NOT born again.
What do you think makes a person be born again?
Batpism?

Who are you doing bible study with?
Do you ever speak to priests?
Or you just read the CCC?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was stating how communion is given to everyone, so, by YOUR standards, everyone in the CC is saved.

It is not my standards that matter, but the those of the ONE who will judge all of us .
I am hopeful that the saved will include not just most in the CC but most of humanity in general.

Everyone who has been baptized in the CC is NOT born again.
What do you think makes a person be born again?
Batpism?

Yes! And that includes not just Catholics but all who have received a valid baptism.

Who are you doing bible study with?

Just myself currently.

Do you ever speak to priests?

Yes

Pax!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Aaaa okay. And this was a Catholic thing? I remember the annual dance at school. My (Catholic) boys high school would meet with the girls high school in a nearby city, along with an armed guard of priests and nuns making absolutely sure that no drunkenness or debauchery took place. At least not inside.
No, not a Catholic thing at all...just organized by the towns I think. But you would often see "Catholic" singles attending. As I grew up I just sort of "understood" that Catholics weren't 'real' Christians; as in, in no way did their actions reflect Christ in their life. It was quite baffling to me. It was only really after I grew up and spread my wings a bit that I got a bit better understand of that denomination, and realized that people who attended could be Christians, I just never really bumped into any when I was young.
Let me ask you a question, if I may. I know you believe that the RCC is ungodly. And that cleaving to her is embracing to the mark of the beast (forgive me if I don't get that exactly right). And in your previous posts you've made comments saying that the true Christians within her must "come out". What happens if they don't? What happens if they have decided to stay where they are to try and lead their friends and families, also Catholic, to Christ? They see that as their mission. In a sense we are all, in a sense, in a place we don't really belong, among people who view us as aliens and enemies. Do you believe these Christians would loose their salvation? Or is salvation assured through Christ, no matter what? No matter that sometimes Christians are perhaps short-sighted and make mistakes, or follow mistaken leadings?

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy