If We Protestants Truly Hated Catholics...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It's really sad. Fundie cults indoctrinate poorly catechetized ex-Catholics, add love bombing, feed them all kinds of taurus excretum about the Big Meanie church, and POOF! you have an anti-Catholic. In my parish, there is a special bi-monthly Mass just for the youth ministry. They all participate, they do not spectate.
Kids shouldn't ache for friends and acceptance; they will go anywhere to get it.
Some of the declarations in the post of @Rollo Tamasi are correct, but I won't get into it unless you really want to...

I don't know what a fundie cult is but I'll tell you this:

I'm very happy your CC has a youth ministry. When I was a catholic the church had nothing for no one. I'm very happy that this has changed...catholics need to know their faith and too many have no knowledge about it at all. They go to Mass and confession and that's it...which is fine if they love God; no need to be a theologian to know God, but it does add so much to our Christian experience while here in this life. It makes being a part of the Kingdom of God so much more pleasant.

And some ex-catholics are poorly catechized because, through no fault of their own, they were not taught anything as ADULTS. I hold the CC responsible for not living up to their responsibility until it was too late. Some churches are empty now...or it has become apparent that people want more than Mass and confession and so the church has finally woken up.

The CC, in my opinion, must find a way to TEACH during the Mass. Please don't tell me it can't be done because Fr. Packwah has done this really well.
(Is he dead?) Priests here expect persons to show up at bible study...most persons here don't even understand why it's necessary to know the bible!
So they have a couple of hundred persons at Mass ---- TEACH THEM!!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a council without the Pope.
Acts 15.

They were countries, the Church didn't own them. ...
"... Another point to be noted is that both before and after the surrender of the kingdom by King John, who made England the fief of the Holy See (see ENGLAND), a certain confusion seems sometimes to have existed between Peterspence and the feudal tribute, called in Latin census, which was paid as the price of the papal protection. ..." - (Roman Catholic Online Encyclopedia) - CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Peterspence

"... Henry at the beginning of his reign seems to have been well viewed in Rome, and believing, as the present writer does, that the Bull "Laudabiliter" is unquestionably genuine (see ADRIAN IV, and cf. "The Month", May and June, 1906), the religious mission entrusted to the king, no doubt upon his own representations, in the proposed conquest of Ireland, bears a close resemblance to the pretext advanced for William the Conqueror's invasion of Great Britain. In both cases, also, the Roman pontiff seems to have claimed dominion, granting the land to the invader as a fief upon payment of a certain tribute. The fact, that, according to the Bull "Laudabiliter", Henry himself had admitted (quod tua etiam nobilitas recognoscit) that "Ireland and all other islands upon which Christ, the Sun of Justice, has shone belong to the prerogative of St. Peter and the Holy Roman Church", deserves to be borne in mind in connection with King John's formal surrender of his kingdom to the Holy See at a later date. ..." - (Roman Catholic Online Encyclopedia) - CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: England (Before the Reformation)

"... Under these circumstances John made his submission to the legate, Pandulf, promising to receive all the exiled bishops and to make restitution for the injuries and losses the Church had sustained. A few days later, on 13 May, the vigil of the Ascension, 1213, he went even further, for he surrendered his crown and kingdom into the hands of the legate to be received back from him as a fief which he and his successors were to hold of the pope for an annual rent of one thousand marks. It is not unnatural, perhaps, that this transaction should have been denounced by historians in the language of unmeasured indignation. Even Lingard in his day described it as "heaping everlasting infamy on the memory of John", but the considerations he puts forward in extenuation of the act have not been without weight with later students. ..." - (Roman Catholic Online Encyclopedia) - CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: England (Before the Reformation)

"... King John’s surrender of his realm in 1213 was symbolised by his agreement to pay an annual tribute to the pope of 1,000 marks (£666). This tribute was paid, albeit irregularly, into the 1290s.

However, kings Edward I and Edward II, John’s grandson and great-grandson, found themselves increasingly at odds with the papacy, partly over their rights to collect their own taxes from the English church and also over the pope’s partisan support for the kings of France. As a result, no tribute was paid in the 30 years before 1330. The last payment ever recorded was a token £1,000 from Edward III in 1333, in expectation of papal favours.

Thereafter, although papal requests were regularly transmitted for settlement, no money was forthcoming. In 1365 parliament debated the latest papal request and concluded that John’s original surrender of the realm had been invalid since it had lacked the assent of the bishops. This marked the formal end to English recognition of the pope’s sovereignty.

However two further facts need to be borne in mind. Since Anglo-Saxon times, a levy known as Peter’s Pence had been paid by England to Rome, described as ‘census’ and implying subjection to the papacy, albeit collected from the English church rather than from the king.

This ‘census’ was still being paid as late as 1534, on the very eve of Henry VIII’s final breach with Rome. Secondly, before John’s actions of 1213, there were rumours, in England as well as Rome, suggesting that John’s father, King Henry II, had already acknowledged the pope not merely as his spiritual ruler but also as his feudal overlord. The papacy itself has never formally resigned its claim to tribute, census or overlordship.

As a result – and factoring in inflation and compound interest – the amount of money owed in tribute from 1300 onwards would represent a sum that entirely dwarfs the national debt or the other liabilities of the English crown, were the pope, perhaps on his next visit to England, to obtain full settlement of arrears.

Answered by: Professor Nicholas Vincent, University of East Anglia ..." - When did the pope rule England?

"... Under mounting political pressure, John finally negotiated terms for a reconciliation, and the papal terms for submission were accepted in the presence of the papal legate Pandulf Verraccio in May 1213 at the Templar Church at Dover.[178] As part of the deal, John offered to surrender the Kingdom of England to the papacy for a feudal service of 1,000 marks (equivalent to £666 at the time) annually: 700 marks (£466) for England and 300 marks (£200) for Ireland, as well as recompensing the church for revenue lost during the crisis.[179] The agreement was formalised in the Bulla Aurea, or Golden Bull. ..." - John, King of England - Wikipedia

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes!
Even the Beatles knew it!
Why don't we know it?

I love to just discuss stuff, without insulting anyone.
The only problem is the Beatles, were promoting Aleister Crowley's (Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart Band, upper Left album cover) 'love' (and their eastern Guru's, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi), which is found in his thelemic doctrine, 'Do what thou wilt is the whole of the law of love'.

Lennon said:

"... Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I'll be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first – rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.[2][7] ...

... He described his own belief in God by quoting the Bishop of Woolwich, saying, "not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us."[18] ..."- More popular than Jesus - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The only problem is the Beatles, were promoting Aleister Crowley's (Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart Band, upper Left album cover) 'love' (and their eastern Guru's, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi), which is found in his thelemic doctrine, 'Do what thou wilt is the whole of the law of love'.

Lennon said:

"... Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I'll be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first – rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.[2][7] ...

... He described his own belief in God by quoting the Bishop of Woolwich, saying, "not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us."[18] ..."- More popular than Jesus - Wikipedia
I have to agree that they were more popular than Jesus. This does not mean they were BETTER, just more POPULAR. Many misunderstand this.

As far as Christianity disappearing...that was said even in Acts. But, apparently Gamaliel was right because it's still here.
Acts 5:34-39

Looks like Rock N Roll went first since it's slowly changing into other forms of music.

I kind of agree with what he said about Jesus too...being right but His disciples changing it. Interesting.

As to their India ties with the Yogi, George was by far the most spiritual.
But Christian...I don't believe so.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I kind of agree with what he said about Jesus too...being right but His disciples changing it. Interesting

But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.

He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

If the disciples 'changed it' from what Jesus intended, then Jesus is shown to be a false prophet and a liar...
He is rather The Truth and so His Word stands, and the disciples have indeed preserved and passed on 'the deposit of faith delivered once for all to the saints'

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Pax!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.

He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

If the disciples 'changed it' from what Jesus intended, then Jesus is shown to be a false prophet and a liar...
He is rather The Truth and so His Word stands, and the disciples have indeed preserved and passed on 'the deposit of faith delivered once for all to the saints'

Pax!
Too sleepy right now.
Tomorrow...
Did you read The Lamb's Supper by Scott Hahn?
Read it.

TheHolyBookEnds

Jun 12, 2018
Neighbour
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to agree that they were more popular than Jesus.
I disagree with you. All of Heaven included. You are yet blind, and do not see:

2Ki_6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I disagree with you. All of Heaven included. You are yet blind, and do not see:

2Ki_6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.
Uffa.
You could disagree with me...
But must you call me blind?

THE BEATLES ARE MORE POPULAR THAN JESUS
EVEN TODAY.

Take it or leave it.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello GodsGrace, I do not want to start a argument with you or any one else.
But if your Catholic ? that's why ! I learned so much more when I went to a bible church
instead. , , of my fifty some years as a catholic... times may have changed now ? I do not
know? But in my time it was the same things over and over . Nothing about how things
changed after JESUS went to the Cross..... for us........

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Pax!
Why would Jesus be a liar and false prophet?
Why couldn't the Apostles be wrong or all the disciples that came after?

Actually, I believe the Apostles taught what Jesus taught; I don't really see any difference.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hello GodsGrace, I do not want to start a argument with you or any one else.
But if your Catholic ? that's why ! I learned so much more when I went to a bible church
instead. , , of my fifty some years as a catholic... times may have changed now ? I do not
know? But in my time it was the same things over and over . Nothing about how things
changed after JESUS went to the Cross..... for us........
Well Grams, I happen to be protestant in doctrine.
I used to be catholic, just like you.
I agree with you that the CC taught nothing back when we were spring chickens.
They are making an effort now and they do say that we are saved by Jesus' sacrifice.

And, yes, we do learn much more in a protestant church. And BoL could disagree, but we each have our own experience and unless one was VERY attached to a church and maybe taught there, they did not know too much.

So, I agree with you.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks GodsGrace,

I would probley be catholic if it were not for our children........
lots of people tried to get us out and all we were told to do is tell them no and mind
there own life not ours........ but ..............,,,,,,,,,,, our children did listen to some
friends and started the change for us all. wow wow wow ...... what a big difference.

To be saved and know it now.... Before as a catholic I did not know if I was going to make
it to heaven ,,,, now I know for sure.........

Reactions: GodsGrace

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why would Jesus be a liar and false prophet?
Why couldn't the Apostles be wrong or all the disciples that came after?

If Jesus promised the Spirit would lead them to all Truth, then they cannot teach error... If the Spirit has taught them all Truth, then what they speak is Truth!
This goes hand in hand with the promise that the gates of hell will not prevail and the promise that Peters faith would never fail..

The Holy Spirit Himself, teaches, guides and protects the Church from teaching error...
If the Church teaches error, then the gates of hell HAVE prevailed and we are all lost .. We are then in the position of Pilate.. 'what is truth?'

Actually, I believe the Apostles taught what Jesus taught; I don't really see any difference.

Agreed!

Pax!

Reactions: GodsGrace

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No pope existed in 325 ad. (Only the Bishop of Rome)
The council was called by Constantine as I stated.
WHY would you make this asinine and revisionist claim??
As a matter of fact Sylvester I was the Pope during the Council of Nicaea.

Furthermore - it wasn't Constantine who presided over the Council. He wrote a series of very respectful letters to several bishops - BEGGING them to convene to address the Arian Heresy.

As for the office of the Pontiff - you need to read the 2ND century De Pudicitia by Tertullian regarding Pope Callistus, wherein he refers to him as "Bishop of Bishops" and "Pontifex Maximus".

I don't care if you live in Europe - and it doesn't mean that your history is correct.
Your history is WAY off.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Furthermore - it wasn't Constantine who presided over the Council. He wrote a series of very respectful letters to several bishops - BEGGING them to convene to address the Arian Heresy.

As for the office of the Pontiff - you need to read the 2ND century De Pudicitia by Tertullian regarding Pope Callistus, wherein he refers to him as "Bishop of Bishops" and "Pontifex Maximus"
I don't care if you live in Europe - and it doesn't mean that your history is correct.
Your history is WAY off.
Who do you think understands the civil war better?
Americans or Europeans?

Origin of the Pope

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

As for the office of the Pontiff - you need to read the 2ND century De Pudicitia by Tertullian regarding Pope Callistus, wherein he refers to him as "Bishop of Bishops" and "Pontifex Maximus".

Your history is WAY off.
Who do you think understands the civil war better...
An American or a European?

Your history is WAY off.
I won't converse with you when you insult me personally.
Just this:
1. Who do you suppose understands the Civil War better: Americans or Europeans?

2. Origin of the Pope

Pope (word) - Wikipedia

Pontifex Maximus had nothing to do with the pope...
It was a pagan title that existed even before Christ...

Capitolo 3 – Storia del Ruolo del ‘Pontefice Massimo’

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
ha, good point GG;
you are inferring "Europeans" there right
LOL
No!
Americans of course.
And those of the North and South even more than the others.
The closer you are to something, the more you understand it.

Who understands the Queen of England more...the English or Americans?
Same thing.
They hear about the Queen every day, know her every move.
What do the Americans care what the Queen does?

Ditto for the Pope. He sneezes and it's on the nightly news.
How often does the Pope make the news in the U.S.?

So @BreadOfLife of life may not care that I live in Europe, but it does make me understand European things more; including how the church ruled here.

I said UNDERSTAND....not KNOW ABOUT them. Two different things.