If You Believe Your Denomination Is...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a strange irony is it not that one can find a church with all it's doctrines lined up in a nice neat row, harmonises with scripture, such as...
KJV Revelation 3
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing;
, but are without love therefore
KJV 1 Corinthians 13:1
...have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
They are like...
KJV Matthew 23
23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Then on the other hand you can enter a church who's doctrines may not be perfectly in line with scripture, yet they effuse the love, the care, the compassion of God like no-one else. They are a joy to be with. And I know which group the Lord approves of.
Sadly, it is a rare thing to find both.
I haven't found both, but I'll take the love!

Much love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi. Didn't Jesus pray to the Father that we would be one, like He and His Father are one? Isn't there one truth, one true faith, one true baptism and one true God, who does not change? It reminds me of the 6 blind men and the elephant. I'm sure some have heard it before, but for those who haven't I'll tell it again.
Six blind men were directed to an elephant and were asked to describe it. The first blind man reached out and touched the elephant's skin. "It's like sand paper." The second one touched it's leg and said that an elephant is like a tree. The third touched it's tail and said it was like a rope. The fourth touched it's ear and said that an elephant is like a baby's blanket. The fifth, after touching the tusk, said it was like smooth stone. And the sixth touched the trunk and said it was like a fire hose. Who was right? Though they each had a piece of the truth, none of them were able to describe the elephant in detail. But if they got together, without territorial preservation intent or selfish ambition, they would all realize at once exactly what an elephant was. Can you imagine what would happen if the body was united? No need to duplicate ministries? I'm a bit of an idealist, but this is doable, but only if that's what all concerned wanted. For those who want, prayer is a beginning. After all, it's what the Lord wants. Shalom.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'One may say with certainty where the Church is, but NOT where it is not'

I stole that one from our Orthodox brethren ;)

Peace!
On another forum where I participated for years, which was owned and administered by a Catholic, one of the wisest people on that forum was an Greek Orthodox priest who lived in Florida. I once knew precisely which church it was, but it has long ago fled away from my mind. I told him if ever I came to Florida I would take him out to coffee. He came back with that if I were ever in Florida he would make it a full breakfast. He was very skilled in the Koine Greek, but more than that his Spirit was not a put on with me... He was a man of God.

The forum is still there, but the priest is not and the forum, which was once a very open one so as to make non-Catholics welcome has almost died. I rarely visit there any more. I do have some fond memories of it and of a few friends I had there... including that priest. I still have at least one of his better posts saved in my computer.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another forum where I participated for years, which was owned and administered by a Catholic, one of the wisest people on that forum was an Greek Orthodox priest who lived in Florida. I once knew precisely which church it was, but it has long ago fled away from my mind. I told him if ever I came to Florida I would take him out to coffee. He came back with that if I were ever in Florida he would make it a full breakfast. He was very skilled in the Koine Greek, but more than that his Spirit was not a put on with me... He was a man of God.

The forum is still there, but the priest is not and the forum, which was once a very open one so as to make non-Catholics welcome has almost died. I rarely visit there any more. I do have some fond memories of it and of a few friends I had there... including that priest. I still have at least one of his better posts saved in my computer.

I would be lying if I didn't say that I would like that forums name.

Reactions: amadeus

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Catholic doctrine, you elevate it to where it can no longer questioned.

I for one strongly question that it can no longer be questioned, LoL.

Some things can be questioned. Some can not.
I expect you probably agree that the Canon of the NT cannot be altered..

but you of necessity are putting faith in men - some men at least - to hear Him properly and know what the Lord is preserving, and how He wants the church to be led.

Trust and love go hand in hand.. Who are these men??
Our brothers, our sons, who have submitted their entire lives to serve Christ and His Church. We have trained them,
tested them,
and anointed them (through the episcopate) by the power of the Holy Spirit .

And yes we trust them to preserve and hand on what we have received.. And they will be held to account for every sheep left in their care...

They are our servants, and we are theirs..

. And by claiming that man has somehow been eliminated from the equation

On the contrary, man is intimately involved as just discussed.
When the Church determines: 'it seemed good to us and the Holy Spirit...' To settle some argument/faction/division within the body, can that determination be questioned?

Can a 'church' arbitrarily contradict itself over time? Does the Truth change?

Why cant some visionary declare: all we need are Pauls letters.. Toss the rest away...?

Who arbitrates our disputes while preserving the unity of the body?

For what, would you separate yourself from your brethren?

Peace be with you!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That must be my cue... but you already stole my line! :)

Ah, forgive me brother.

As reparation, I offer my continued prayers for the full reconcilliation of our Patriarchs.

I eagerly hope for the joyous day, when they concelebrate the Divine Liturgy.

Peace be with you!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a mod there and there are protestants there
Yes, I know! I have been a member there as a Protestant since 2008. That is the forum where I was also once a mod, but that was several years ago. I was moderator along with Catholic Crusader. He's still there but I don't think he's been a moderator for quite a while. What name do you use there? I was Amadeus there as well.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I know! I have been a member there as a Protestant since 2008. That is the forum where I was also once a mod, but that was several years ago. I was moderator along with Catholic Crusader. He's still there but I don't think he's been a moderator for quite a while. What name do you use there? I was Amadeus there as well.

Wow, cool. I am whitetiger there. When I got there the first time it was like the wild west about like here and I mostly watched the back and forth and the Owner asked for mods after we kept telling him we need some kind of structure so he asked for volunteers and Me and two others volunteered. At first me and CC butted heads but now we are good. There are about ten people there now we welcome all. I hope I wasn't bad to you, I recall you there vaguely.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, cool. I am whitetiger there. When I got there the first time it was like the wild west about like here and I mostly watched the back and forth and the Owner asked for mods after we kept telling him we need some kind of structure so he asked for volunteers and Me and two others volunteered. At first me and CC butted heads but now we are good. There are about ten people there now we welcome all. I hope I wasn't bad to you, I recall you there vaguely.
I remember your name, but you became a moderator I believe when I was close to moving to other places because we had lost so many of good conversationalist. I liked it when Olsen's [the originator of the forum] son was deeply involved. I forget his name now, but he is the one who selected me and CC as moderators at the same time hoping his strong Catholicism and my non-Catholicism would work to smooth things out on both sides of that fence. I only lasted 2 or 3 months because as moderator I found myself too often having a conflict between forum rules and my own beliefs. I finally resigned but stayed active on the forum for a while after that.

When I had the earlier conversation with you I went back to check on Linsinbigler, the Orthodox priest. He last posted there in 2017. He held off some the worst ones there, while remaining tolerant. I know he burned inside when some very silly people questioned his clarifications of the original Greek. He knew his stuff, but did not let it swell his head too much.

As for CC, I learned to accept what he was as some people never could. Friends we never were, but we after a while we did not butt heads so hard or so often. In the early days CC did drive a number of people away especially Protestans, but he respected Linsinbigler and that I believe that respect helped him back off from some of his harsher ways. The only other older one that was close to me who stayed long after I left was Ped. He was also not a Catholic. I contacted him once very early this year but with the lockdown and deaths of people close to me I broke the connection again. I'll have to try again soon. Nice talking to you.

Reactions: historyb

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, forgive me brother.
No need. You are doing me a service; I prefer the silent, background actor role more anyway.
As reparation, I offer my continued prayers for the full reconcilliation of our Patriarchs.

I eagerly hope for the joyous day, when they concelebrate the Divine Liturgy.

Peace be with you!
We can hope and pray. Healing a thousand year old wound that only grew worse over the centuries requires a great miracle.

Peace be unto you too! :)

Reactions: Philip James

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always wondered what happened to Ped. I miss Fr. Linsinbigler he was great.
I missed connecting with him this last May, but I just sent him an E-mail message to the address he once gave me. He gave it to me a long time ago when we were both active on T2O. Hopefully he will receive it and respond.
Fr. Linsinbigler was one of kind. I believe that he was a pastor over a church in Florida. He was was married with children at home, I believe, but I have no idea where in Florida he was. My only way to contact him was through that forum.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this the one? Their priest is Fr. Harry Linsinbigler. They have his email and contact phone under About Us -> Contact.
Yes, thank for that. Sometimes on the forum someone used to call him Father Harry! It's been a long time, but I do believe I will attempt to make contact with him again. Thanks again!

Reactions: historyb and icxn

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would that be, I would rather as Jesus does, that men would find and follow Him, but men love their traditions.
Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.
markh7: 6 He answered and said unto them, Well has Isaiah prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Nevertheless in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, all of you hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things all of you do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well all of you reject the commandment of God, that all of you may keep your own tradition.

Reactions: Brakelite