I'm 100% responsible for my teaching

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello everybody,

"I'm 100% responsible for my teaching"

Was posted by a member on another thread. My respect for that poster has gone up because of that statement.

How many of us realize that this is so for anyone who would lead some of Christ's sheep?

Consider Matt 18:6

Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Consider then, how careful should we be in posting our own private opinions as Truth...

Peace be with you!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree, "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh."
Or is our case, our fingers speak what is in our heart.

Although...within all the many hundreds of members on this Site I don't see very much 'teaching'...but much arguing.... :)

But, I am guessing that you are referring to anything any of us write in a post. It is obviously 'what we believe'...but, is that really 'teaching'?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God did say that we would give account for every word which comes out of our mouth...
One good reason why it should always be " salt and light." :)

All of us have times when we speak before we think....

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the many ways that I found led me to Jesus:
On Teaching
Kahlil Gibran

No man can reveal to you aught but that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of your knowledge.

The teacher who walks in the shadow of the temple, among his followers, gives not of his wisdom but rather of his faith and his lovingness.

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of his wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

The astronomer may speak to you of his understanding of space, but he cannot give you his understanding.

The musician may sing to you of the rhythm which is in all space, but he cannot give you the ear which arrests the rhythm nor the voice that echoes it.

And he who is versed in the science of numbers can tell of the regions of weight and measure, but he cannot conduct you thither.

For the vision of one man lends not its wings to another man.

And even as each one of you stands alone in God's knowledge, so must each one of you be alone in his knowledge of God and in his understanding of the earth.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Must we truly be alone?

John 17: 20-23

Peace!
That is poetic language, and not the word, "alone", in the sense you might be taking it. It means, as you yourself said, "each of us is RESPONSIBLE for our own understanding of and relationship with God." (This kind of misunderstood assumption is where we so often trip ourselves up in our reading of the Bible... especially the KJV.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Must we truly be alone?

John 17: 20-23

Peace!

Never alone without God ...His Spirit is always with us.
But we all know that where 'kindred spirits' and fellowship is concerned, we often walk alone.
When our last breath comes..we must do it alone..no physical help can do it with us.
Many times in our life's walk we cannot "feel" the companionship of God...hence 'we walk by faith' not by feelings.
So I say...we walk alone.......together...
We are one body, in one Spirit...but we do not always have the awareness of that.

Not sure how we got here from the Opening Post. lol :)

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our friends James and Hattie Williams were a black couple we went to church with years ago. They were wonderful. James was the kindest, gentlest man I ever knew. He gave me an old 8 track recording of this song. I'll always love this. Grace! Please listen. It won't hurt! Sam Cooke sings from the depths of his heart.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those that are born again of the Holy Spirit can understand the words of God. It says so in these verses.

Rom 8:4-8
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.

NOTE: Those in religion have their minds set on the things of the flesh: Religious works.

6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
NKJV

1 Cor 2:12-16
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.
16 For "who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
NKJV

Reactions: Frank Lee

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It means, as you yourself said, "each of us is RESPONSIBLE for our own understanding of and relationship with God."

Indeed. The problem i have with the use of the word alone, is precisely because we are called not just to a relationship with God but also with one another..
We are not only responsible for ourselves but for our brothers and sisters as well ...

Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, as indeed you do.

We ask you, brothers, to respect those who are laboring among you and who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you,

and to show esteem for them with special love on account of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.

We urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, cheer the fainthearted, support the weak, be patient with all

Peace!

Reactions: Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Until I was 33 when Jesus saved me I believed myself to be stupid and not worth as much as others because of cruel verbal abuse as a child from relatives, cousins. I can remember harsh things spoken to me when I was no older than three. My father was harsh many times and I found myself trying to prove myself to him even after his death. As a consequence it took God years to show me my heavenly father was far far better than my natural one. I think this condition is common among males.

It's taken 40 years for God to change much of this. I refuse to enter into strife and the using of scriptures to beat someone into religious submission. This is not teaching but indoctrination. Real encouragement is always in love. Cowering in fear from some denomination's false teachings and doctrines has nothing to do with love.

If they're from God He told me they'll not want anything from you but rather will want to give to you. To lift you up and leave you better than they found you.

Living alone as we have for decades we have been forced to grip the garments of the Lord in order to carry on. Even when we had a good church we had to lean on Him. It is Him and Him alone that carries us through.

1511353271012-576x1024.jpg

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello everybody,

Was posted by a member on another thread. My respect for that poster has gone up because of that statement.

How many of us realize that this is so for anyone who would lead some of Christ's sheep?

Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Consider then, how careful should we be in posting our own private opinions as Truth...

Peace be with you!
Unfortunately, it is a common human behavior to wake up in the middle of a world we know nothing about, take a snapshot, and then begin imposing our great newfound brilliance upon others without considering all that we don't know, but filling in the blanks by extrapolation. Kinda science-like.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello everybody,

Peace be with you!
I Truth7t7 am that poster who is 100% responsible for his teaching, and yes Matthew 18:6 applies to all.

Phil I posted this in response to Roman Catholicism, I Have No Personal Hatred Towards You Or Any Catholic

1. The Pope Is Not The Vicar Of Christ On This Earth.

2. The Pope Or Bishops In The Catholic Church Do Not Have Sole Authentic Interpretation Of God's Word, As CCC 100 Teaches.

3. The Pope Is Not Infallible, He Is A Mere Human Man As We Are All Human And Fallible.

4. The Roman Catholic Church Is Not The One True Christian Church On Earth.

5. Joseph Smith, Charles Taze Russel, Nor Ellen G. White, Were Prophets/Prophetess Of God.

The List Is Far More Extensive, I Will Leave It There.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hopefully private opinions take second place to presenting God's truth as revealed in His Word. And we are indeed to be careful in what we present, and show how it is backed up by Scripture.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hopefully private opinions take second place to presenting God's truth as revealed in His Word. And we are indeed to be careful in what we present, and show how it is backed up by Scripture.
But, when ANY of us post Scripture, there is no escaping the fact that it is still OUR OWN personal opinion derived from how each of us independently interprets that particular verse. If that were not true, then you would see every word in the Bible as I see it. But, you don't do you? Nor do I see everything the way you see it.
So.... both of us are really expressing our own personal opinions of what we read..... as is every other person posting on this forum... no matter how much Scripture we post to back it up.

Typical Bible Class
Instructor
: "Brother Jones, will you read Verse 1?"
Brother Jones reads it.
Instructor: "Brother Smith, can you tell us what that verse means?
Brother Smith: "Just what it says!"
All the Class: "AMEN!!!"
Instructor: "Thank you. Now, Brother Brown, will you read verse 2?"

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But, when ANY of us post Scripture, there is no escaping the fact that it is still OUR OWN personal opinion derived from how each of us independently interprets that particular verse.
We should try and see the difference between personal opinion and personal interpretation. Yes personal interpretations can differ, since one may see one aspect of an issue more or less clearly than another. But if interpreted while comparing Scripture with Scripture, we should be able to arrive at the proper interpretation.

At the same time when we read in 2 Peter 1:20, "private interpretation" regarding prophecies, it means personal origin rather than divine revelation. False prophets bring prophecies originating within themselves, but true prophets simply bring the words of God to others.

Reactions: Truth7t7

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture is wheat...can’t comsume wheat unless it is processed

Reactions: Helen
B

brakelite

While it is true that we are all 100% responsible for teaching error, it must be admitted that if I personally believe an error taught me by someone else, I am also 100% responsible for believing it.