In His Name....what does it mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
'If you ask anything in my name I will do it'.....Jesus. John 13:13-14

Let's see HOW we understand this saying of Jesus! That's right, we'll discuss it.

Could it mean the ability to get God's ear is contingent on more people praying?
Does it mean that if we tack 'in Jesus name' at the end of a prayer we've got the magic formula?

It at least seems to me these are the assumed methods yet the amount of requests and the amount of answered requests don't align ......so what's going on? have we missed something?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Let's see HOW we understand this saying of Jesus! That's right, we'll discuss it.

Could it mean the ability to get God's ear is contingent on more people praying?
Does it mean that if we tack 'in Jesus name' at the end of a prayer we've got the magic formula?

It at least seems to me these are the assumed methods yet the amount of requests and the amount of answered requests don't align ......so what's going on? have we missed something?
Good questions. I've thought of these things often...if we pray His will, we know it will come to pass but, do we always know His will? I'd say not. Many things we already do KNOW is His will but, the grey areas of not being certain of His will can simply be an answer as a "no" from Him?
I've prayed about all the contractors over the last year working on my house to be sent from God but, all of them ripped me off so...all I can think is that He does NOT want me to move from this house even though I so want to. I prayed with all my heart to be sent good and honest workers yet, I got the opposite. Yes, no or wait...?

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good questions. I've thought of these things often...if we pray His will, we know it will come to pass but, do we always know His will? I'd say not. Many things we already do KNOW is His will but, the grey areas of not being certain of His will can simply be an answer as a "no" from Him?
I've prayed about all the contractors over the last year working on my house to be sent from God but, all of them ripped me off so...all I can think is that He does NOT want me to move from this house even though I so want to. I prayed with all my heart to be sent good and honest workers yet, I got the opposite. Yes, no or wait...?
Blessings in Christ Jesus. When all things are going afoul, that is when we praise The Lord. And watch how He turns it around. Just praise Him out loud. I do not see you in Buffalo, I see you in the country. When I was in Buffalo, long ago, I had a dream and I saw a group of tornados on the out skirts of the city. Back then, that made no sense, but today, it makes perfect sense. A friend of mine had a dream, and he saw people on the news broadcasting that an earth quake hit Buffalo. "And this I ask in Jesus Holy Name" is how I end my petitions. We must always remember that we are the head and not the tail, and that The Lord is always working for our good.(even when we are getting ripped off).`

John14 vs 12-14 " Truly, truly I say to you, he who believes in Me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to The Father. Whatever you ask in My Name, I will do it, that The Father may be glorified in The Son; if you ask(Me) anything in My Name, I will do it."

Long ago, this same friend of mine, came to me deeply distressed. He told me that his family was getting kicked out of there home the next day, and that they had no where to go. This was the house they had lived in, since my friend was a child. This house was in Puerto Rico. He explained that his father was paying a man but the man stopped paying the bank. That night I took this petition before The Lord in prayer. Right after ending this simple prayer with "And this I ask in Jesus Holy Name" I clearly heard, "I will do it" The next day my friend told me what happened. He said that a friend of the family who happened to be an attorny in San Juan, got up in the middle of the night and drove the 3-4 hours to my friends home town, and arrived at the same time as the people from the bank and stopped the family from being kicked out on the street. The Lord is so good.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ Jesus. When all things are going afoul, that is when we praise The Lord. And watch how He turns it around. Just praise Him out loud. I do not see you in Buffalo, I see you in the country. When I was in Buffalo, long ago, I had a dream and I saw a group of tornados on the out skirts of the city. Back then, that made no sense, but today, it makes perfect sense. A friend of mine had a dream, and he saw people on the news broadcasting that an earth quake hit Buffalo. "And this I ask in Jesus Holy Name" is how I end my petitions. We must always remember that we are the head and not the tail, and that The Lord is always working for our good.(even when we are getting ripped off).`

John14 vs 12-14 " Truly, truly I say to you, he who believes in Me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to The Father. Whatever you ask in My Name, I will do it, that The Father may be glorified in The Son; if you ask(Me) anything in My Name, I will do it."

Long ago, this same friend of mine, came to me deeply distressed. He told me that his family was getting kicked out of there home the next day, and that they had no where to go. This was the house they had lived in, since my friend was a child. This house was in Puerto Rico. He explained that his father was paying a man but the man stopped paying the bank. That night I took this petition before The Lord in prayer. Right after ending this simple prayer with "And this I ask in Jesus Holy Name" I clearly heard, "I will do it" The next day my friend told me what happened. He said that a friend of the family who happened to be an attorny in San Juan, got up in the middle of the night and drove the 3-4 hours to my friends home town, and arrived at the same time as the people from the bank and stopped the family from being kicked out on the street. The Lord is so good.
Good news about your friend! And, I do end my prayers with "in Jesus Name" or... I BEGIN my prayer something like "Heavenly Father, I come to you in petition through your precious son Jesus Christ, end the prayer in "your will be done, amen".

Trying to understand the tests He gives us can be difficult. Especially as to the why's? He will bring us through the same thing over and over again until we "get it", it seems. And, He only chastises those whom He loves :)
Praise and Glory to God The Father!!!

Reactions: GTW27

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The only thing that came to mind was: you don’t receive because you ask with the wrong motives.
On the praying the words, in Jesus’ name I ask, I can’t say anything. I’ve never prayed those words.
Looking forward to the answers.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing that came to mind was: you don’t receive because you ask with the wrong motives.
On the praying the words, in Jesus’ name I ask, I can’t say anything. I’ve never prayed those words.
Looking forward to the answers.
I suppose it is not a necessary thing to say "in Jesus name" at the end or the beginning of a prayer. The curtain was torn in two 2 thousand years ago allowing us to approach His throne boldly.
They're not like, magic words, lol.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose it is not a necessary thing to say "in Jesus name" at the end or the beginning of a prayer. The curtain was torn in two 2 thousand years ago allowing us to approach His throne boldly.
They're not like, magic words, lol.
If someone thinks it important to repeat the words when they pray, I would never dare to lord over their prayer in any way.
When I say, Lord, what does thus and such mean? and that is my entire prayer at that time, I think I HAVE prayed in His name, but then others may be horrified that that is an entire prayer for me! I don’t think it’s a good thing to try to go into anyone else’s prayer closet. I certainly won’t.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Okay, when I read this, I had to ask God, "Okay, what DOES it mean to pray in the name of Your Son?" I wasn't sure if I should ask that in the name of Jesus or not. I don't know if I got an answer, but I thought I heard the Father chuckle at my self-consciousness.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone thinks it important to repeat the words when they pray, I would never dare to lord over their prayer in any way.
When I say, Lord, what does thus and such mean? and that is my entire prayer at that time, I think I HAVE prayed in His name, but then others may be horrified that that is an entire prayer for me! I don’t think it’s a good thing to try to go into anyone else’s prayer closet. I certainly won’t.
My sister and I just had a conversation not even 15 minutes ago about this very thread. She and I have allowed this to become a habit although, recently it's more like "Father, I come to you through Jesus...say prayer, say thank you and amen. I really do not even find this an issue, lol.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My sister and I just had a conversation not even 15 minutes ago about this very thread. She and I have allowed this to become a habit although, recently it's more like "Father, I come to you through Jesus...say prayer, say thank you and amen. I really do not even find this an issue, lol.
As I said, I don’t find it an issue either. Just because I don’t have a prayer form doesn’t mean no one else shouldn’t or can’t.