Infant Baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Executioner

Jul 23, 2019
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:15
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord,
and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink;
and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost,
even from his mother's womb.

Was this unborn infant baptized in the Holy Ghost?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:15
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord,
and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink;
and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost,
even from his mother's womb.

Was this unborn infant baptized in the Holy Ghost?

I would say John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Ghost from the moment of his birth, and even while in the womb. He was filled with the Spirit as much as any Old Testatment prophet would have been filled by the Spirit.

This would not be the baptism of the Holy Spirit which could only occur at and after Pentecost.

Stranger

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Executioner

Jul 23, 2019
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you believe this is true?
I would say John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Ghost from the moment of his birth, and even while in the womb. He was filled with the Spirit as much as any Old Testatment prophet would have been filled by the Spirit.

This would not be the baptism of the Holy Spirit which could only occur at and after Pentecost.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Because the Holy Spirit given at Pentecost was not just the Holy Spirit. It was the Holy Spirit combined with the Spirit of Christ resurrected and glorified.

Andrew Murray says, "When poured out a Pentecost, He came as the Spirit of the glorified Jesus, the Spirit of the incarnate, crucified and exalted Christ, the bearer and communicator to us not of the life of God as such, but of that life as it had been interwoven into human nature in the person of Jesus Christ." (The Spirit of Christ, Andrew Murray, Bethany Fellowship, 1979 p. 38)

(John 7:38-39) "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

(Romans 8:9) "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

Stranger

Reactions: prism and Helen

Executioner

Jul 23, 2019
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Because the Holy Spirit given at Pentecost was not just the Holy Spirit. It was the Holy Spirit combined with the Spirit of Christ resurrected and glorified.

Andrew Murray says, "When poured out a Pentecost, He came as the Spirit of the glorified Jesus, the Spirit of the incarnate, crucified and exalted Christ, the bearer and communicator to us not of the life of God as such, but of that life as it had been interwoven into human nature in the person of Jesus Christ." (The Spirit of Christ, Andrew Murray, Bethany Fellowship, 1979 p. 38)

(John 7:38-39) "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Stranger

Executioner

Jul 23, 2019
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand what you are asking. My answer was in regards to your first question. So, if you are just going to keep asking 'why', tell me the real question you are asking.

Stranger
I can tell you exactly why I believe anything I say to you.
But so far the same does not apply to you.

Why do you think that is true about you?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can tell you exactly why I believe anything I say to you.
But so far the same does not apply to you.

Why do you think that is true about you?

So? I can do the same which is why I answered your first question. I am not going to sit here and just keep answering as you keep asking why like a 4 year old.

So again, what is your real question?

Stranger

Reactions: prism and Helen

Executioner

Jul 23, 2019
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So? I can do the same which is why I answered your first question. I am not going to sit here and just keep answering as you keep asking why like a 4 year old.

So again, what is your real question?

Stranger
Matthew 18:3
And said, Verily I say unto you,
Except ye be converted, and become as little children,
ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Infant Baptism
i have never understood why this is such a big deal to some people, its right up there with the trinity, the trinity makes sense that people debate it, infant baptism?? who cares. its something that has always been done since before the days of Jesus. and i am pretty sure that no one teaches that you are going to hell if you dont do it. the opnes that practice it do not obsess over it, but the ones that dont practice are very concerned over what the other group does.
my advice to these people would by to get back to the bible, this obsession IMO shows they have deviated from the way of Jesus. if you really follow Jesus then you would not worry about what other churches do.

Reactions: Helen and epostle