Is believing in the trinity necessary to be a christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Graceismine

Dec 16, 2012
New Zealand
Angelina said:
When I first got saved, I didn't know anything about the Trinity. So I personally believe that the Trinity is not linked with salvation but rather something that you begin to understand later on in your walk with God. :)

The question I'd like to know is: why do Christians link their theology onto the salvation message?
Salvation is a free gift, given by God? It is not earnt but given to an individual by grace through faith? :huh:

BB
My experience also. But once we are saved shouldn't we know who it is we worship?

We can't express our love for Jesus if He is not God. I think Trinitarianism must be more than theology, it is a truth revealed to Believers so that we may know Him and who he is. :)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In situations like that , acknowledging and believing in the trinity is crucial for salvation
Oh so salvation isnt though Christ alone??

In all His love

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Graceismine said:
My experience also. But once we are saved shouldn't we know who it is we worship?

We can't express our love for Jesus if He is not God. I think Trinitarianism must be more than theology, it is a truth revealed to Believers so that we may know Him and who he is. :)
Hi Grace,

I believe that God reveals himself to new believer's as they begin to walk with him and get to know him better through his word and by revelation of the Holy Spirit.

There are denominations out there who acknowledge the Father and the Son but not the Holy Spirit because they believe the Holy Spirit is not a person. Some who acknowledge the Father only because they do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah and also denominations who believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one in the same. Some who acknowledge the Holy Spirit only and there is also Trinitarianism... a new believer would be hard pressed to find their way through the labyrinth of theological beliefs but God makes the way and leads them into his truth like a good shepherd who tends and cares for his flock... ^_^

BB

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
IAmAWitness said:
If it were necessary to believe in the lies of the devil then I guess it would be necessary for salvation. Only a devil would ever say you have to believe an illogical, incomprehensible lie in order to be saved.
sheesh...

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Quote: It is however necessary for an establishment to be a legitmate Christian institution.

JB: How so? Or is this a modern version of "don't throw out the baby with the bath water"?
Belief in the Trinity isn't necessary for salvation, simply because baptism and augmentation of the Spirit does not require it. A Christian establishment, however, is required to teach to the best of it's ability with accuracy, and nontrinitarian beliefs simply just are not accurate.

Reactions: Angelina

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
Why is believing in the trinity crucial to one's salvation?
It is not essential, it is the antithesis. God is not a closed trinity, God is a divine family about to increase the size of said family by billions.

Graceismine

Dec 16, 2012
New Zealand
Angelina said:
Hi Grace,

I believe that God reveals himself to new believer's as they begin to walk with him and get to know him better through his word and by revelation of the Holy Spirit.

There are denominations out there who acknowledge the Father and the Son but not the Holy Spirit because they believe the Holy Spirit is not a person. Some who acknowledge the Father only because they do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah and also denominations who believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one in the same. Some who acknowledge the Holy Spirit only and there is also Trinitarianism... a new believer would be hard pressed to find their way through the labyrinth of theological beliefs but God makes the way and leads them into his truth like a good shepherd who tends and cares for his flock... ^_^

BB
I understand what you are saying ...but....I do not believe that Jesus is God, the Holy Spirit is God is simply a theological belief, it is truth. It took me years before it was revealed to me so I know that we are not endowed with the fullness of knowledge as soon as we are born again.
In order for a person to be saved he must be born again, that is the criteria, nothing else. What happens next? We either grow in the knowledge of God and who He is or we fall back and never know who He is. -_-

Another though came to mind. :blink:

If we follow Jesus and His teachings and sing praises to Him, worshiping Him as a man and not God is that not idolatry?

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
SilenceInMotion said:
Belief in the Trinity isn't necessary for salvation, simply because baptism and augmentation of the Spirit does not require it. A Christian establishment, however, is required to teach to the best of it's ability with accuracy, and nontrinitarian beliefs simply just are not accurate.
You certainly have an opinion, there.
John_8:32 said:
It is not essential, it is the antithesis. God is not a closed trinity, God is a divine family about to increase the size of said family by billions.
John_8:32 said:
So, God is a trinity then?
Graceismine said:
I understand what you are saying ...but....I do not believe that Jesus is God, the Holy Spirit is God is simply a theological belief, it is truth. It took me years before it was revealed to me so I know that we are not endowed with the fullness of knowledge as soon as we are born again.
In order for a person to be saved he must be born again, that is the criteria, nothing else. What happens next? We either grow in the knowledge of God and who He is or we fall back and never know who He is. -_-

Another though came to mind. :blink:

If we follow Jesus and His teachings and sing praises to Him, worshiping Him as a man and not God is that not idolatry?
Second first. What it means is you're still lost in your sins.

First statement is confounded. Clean it up. :)

bosco

Mar 10, 2012
Belief in the Trinity is absolutely essential to salvation. One cannot come to faith in Jesus without knowing Him as the Son of the Father, and one cannot say that He is Lord without the Holy Spirit. As some have said, that understanding may come later in their Christian walk, but without it their Christian walk will falter.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
knowing the Trinity is knowing God

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
bosco said:
Belief in the Trinity is absolutely essential to salvation. One cannot come to faith in Jesus without knowing Him as the Son of the Father, and one cannot say that He is Lord without the Holy Spirit. As some have said, that understanding may come later in their Christian walk, but without it their Christian walk will falter.
Your conclusion -opening statement- is wrong. Your premises, don't support your conclusion. They 'may' be true in themselves but collectively they fail to prove your point(conclusion). :)

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
Classical definition of trinity: three separate co-existent, co-equal, and co-eternal persons in the Godhead. Is this what you are referring to with your initial question? If so, is not essential. It is not a biblical doctrine. It is not a belief of the early church.

There is no eternal son. How can there be? God was manifested in the flesh. The fullness of the Godhead resides in Jesus Christ. He is God. He is the Holy Ghost.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
You don't have to understand it to be saved, but you will want to if you want to understand who God is.

The Father is the same as His Word being of the same Spirit. For a man and his word always reveals the man. That is why Jesus did not think it robbery to be equal with God.
1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word/Jesus the Son, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
KJV
John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
KJV

The Spirit is called the Spirit of life being the Breath of Life that God gives us making us of His bloodline. Our life is in our blood says God. This does not mean that you can only die if you loose your blood, because one can die in their sleep without shedding a drop. It means that the Spirit resides in our blood our DNA.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
KJV

Jesus is the Word of life. The Word that God creates all things by and through. The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. He is the image of the invisable God. The Father does not create anything without His Word. The Father, His Word and Spirit are all One.

1 John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
KJV
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
KJV

The Word(Jesus) is the Seed of God. When we plant the Word of God into our eyes, ears it gets down in our heart and begins to grow. The Spirit of God works in us with the Word by planting the Seed in our hearts writing the Word upon our WILLING hearts. We are then growing into the image of Christ, becoming a son of God who rejects sin in our life for the Spirit does not leed us to the bondage of sin. Born again of the Spirit by the Word
Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
KJV
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
KJV
Luke 8:11
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
KJV
1 Peter 1:23
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
KJV

Blessing

Graceismine

Dec 16, 2012
New Zealand
Right, JB! My sentence was really long and it even confused me when I re read it. :unsure:

I have been thinking about this quite a lot and I don't think many of us understood that
Jesus is God when we were first saved. My thinking is that we accepted it by
faith and the revelation of its' truth followed as we read and studied
Scripture.

For those who claim to be born again and don't accept that Jesus is God, I can only ask how you can bow down to a man?

He is either Lord or He is not.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Graceismine said:
Right, JB! My sentence was really long and it even confused me when I re read it. :unsure:

I have been thinking about this quite a lot and I don't think many of us understood that
Jesus is God when we were first saved. My thinking is that we accepted it by
faith and the revelation of its' truth followed as we read and studied
Scripture.

For those who claim to be born again and don't accept that Jesus is God, I can only ask how you can bow down to a man?

He is either Lord or He is not.
SHALOM, sister :)

ChristianJuggarnaut said:
Classical definition of trinity: three separate co-existent, co-equal, and co-eternal persons in the Godhead. Is this what you are referring to with your initial question? If so, is not essential. It is not a biblical doctrine. It is not a belief of the early church.

There is no eternal son. How can there be? God was manifested in the flesh. The fullness of the Godhead resides in Jesus Christ. He is God. He is the Holy Ghost.
ChristianJuggarnaut said:

Wow, interesting post. Care to elaborate on each point? Starting from ... no eternal son

bosco said:
You're going to have to espand on that-- why exactly?
bosco, on 08 Mar 2013 - 08:46, said:

QUOTE: Belief in the Trinity is absolutely essential to salvation. One cannot come to faith in Jesus without knowing Him as the Son of the Father, and one cannot say that He is Lord without the Holy Spirit. As some have said, that understanding may come later in their Christian walk, but without it their Christian walk will falter. QUOTE

1. Start with not being able to come to faith without 'ONLY knowing' he is the son of the father.

Jesus says that NO man knows the father except him. So how are you going to establish his the son of God if he doesn't reveal it? How is he going to prove his 'divinity' being a man and that's all. If all you see is a man than all you have is a man.

Mat 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Jesus said; who do the people say I AM... . First Jesus divinity is revealed to reinforce his relationship with the father.By whom no less than his father.

If one fails to see he's God, you have missed the boat. Why, because all you trusted in was just a man.

Moreover, you will notice Peter's reply to the LORD as to whom he is. More importantly, consider what Jesus said in response to Peters reply. i.e. My father in heaven has revealed this to you, NOT anything in man's mind at all, was going to discover this.

Mat 16:13-17 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, ***But whom say ye that I am?

***And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

***And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
The Trinity doctrine wasn't even introduced until the 3rd century, so unless one thinks that all the christians before then were not saved, you cannot posit that it is necessary for salvation to believe it.

People before the Trinity were mostly modalists. That was the preconceived notion before closer examination.

Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
SilenceInMotion said:
The Trinity doctrine wasn't even introduced until the 3rd century, so unless one thinks that all the christians before then were not saved, you cannot posit that it is necessary for salvation to believe it.

People before the Trinity were mostly modalists. That was the preconceived notion before closer examination.
Totally... ^_^ I'm not saying that the concept does not exist. I'm saying that it is not always apparent at the point of salvation and therefore not necessarily a requirement of salvation....

Shalom!

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
One of the most misunderstood ideas in the Bible concerns the teaching about the Trinity. Although Christians say that they believe in one God, they are constantly accused of polytheism (worshiping at least three gods).

The Bible do not teach that there are three Gods; neither do they teach that God wears three different masks while acting out the drama of history. What the Bible does teach is stated in the doctrine of the Trinity as: there is one God who has revealed Himself in three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and these three persons are the one God.
Although this is difficult to comprehend, it is nevertheless what the Bible tells us, and is the closest the finite mind can come to explaining the infinite mystery of the infinite God, when considering the biblical statements about God’s being.
The Bible teaches that there is one God and only one God: “Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one!” (Deuteronomy 6:4, NASB). “There is one God” (I Timothy 2:5, KJV). “Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God besides Me’” (Isaiah 44:6, NASB).
However, even though God is one in His essential being or nature, He is also three persons. “Let us make man in our image” (Genesis 1:26, KJV). “God said, ‘Behold, the man has become like one of us’” (Genesis 3:22, RSV).
God’s plural nature is alluded to here, for He could not be talking to angels in these instances, because angels could not and did not help God create. The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ, not the angels, created all things (I John 1:3; Colossians 1:15; Hebrews 1:2).
In addition to speaking of God as one, and alluding to a plurality of God’s being, the Scriptures are quite specific as to naming God in terms of three persons. There is a person whom the Bible calls the Father, and the Father is designated as God the Father (Galatians 1:1).
The Bible talks about a person named Jesus, or the Son, or the Word, also called God. “The Word was God… ” (John 1:1, KJV). Jesus was “also calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God” (John 5:18, NASB).
There is a third person mentioned in the Scriptures called the Holy Spirit, and this person—different from the Father and the Son—is also called God (“Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit?… You have not lied to men but to God” (Acts 5:3, 4, RSV).

The facts of the biblical teaching are these: There is one God. This one God has a plural nature. This one God is called the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, all distinct personalities, all designated God. We are therefore led to the conclusion that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one God, the doctrine of the Trinity.