Is it a sin for a Christian to vote for a Democrat?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well call me in violation but in Iraq and Afghanistan I think I proved that hugging your enemies does not work. When someone comes into your house to murder you and your family....give them a hug and see if it works.... Pray for them. Of course sola scriptura, maybe you do not care...because according to the scriptures Christ said to love your enemies but also said unless you hate your father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, you cannot be His disciple. You have to know the history behind the scriptures to understand the scriptures. The scriptures were written 2000 years ago in a culture that would be foreign to us, under a very specific set of circumstances. You need to know those circumstances because you cannot read the Bible like it is the latest edition of the local Sunday paper.

Well the New Testament still applies to us. Not just to those who were living 1970 years ago or whatever it was.

Reactions: Seven of Nine

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well call me in violation but in Iraq and Afghanistan I think I proved that hugging your enemies does not work. When someone comes into your house to murder you and your family....give them a hug and see if it works.... Pray for them. Of course sola scriptura, maybe you do not care...because according to the scriptures Christ said to love your enemies but also said unless you hate your father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, you cannot be His disciple. You have to know the history behind the scriptures to understand the scriptures. The scriptures were written 2000 years ago in a culture that would be foreign to us, under a very specific set of circumstances. You need to know those circumstances because you cannot read the Bible like it is the latest edition of the local Sunday paper.

Spot on post

Reactions: dev553344

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It all applies so does hate your father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters,

This verse of course does not literally mean to hate your family though.

It's about getting your priorities right, putting God first, loving Jesus more than your parents, wife, children, brothers and sisters. Our Love for Jesus is meant to be greater in comparison than our love for our parents, wife, children, brothers and sisters.

We are of course still meant to love one another though.

The 2nd great commandment is to "Love One Another" And if Jesus said to "Love your enemies" which he did, then yes that is included in Love one another as well.

Matthew 22:36-40

Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

And Praying for, blessing one another is a way we can love one another.

Seven of Nine

Sep 28, 2020
North Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's about getting your priorities right, putting God first, loving Jesus more than your parents, wife, children, brothers and sisters. Our Love for Jesus is meant to be greater in comparison than our love for our parents, wife, children, brothers and sisters.

The 2nd great commandment is to "Love One Another" And if Jesus said to "Love your enemies" which he did, then yes that is included in Love one another as well.

Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Ephesians 4:29-32 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

Galatians 5:19-26 19 "The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other."

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People adhere to sola scritura until it blows them away. So prove that Christ did not mean his words, keeping in mind that your explanation should be also applied to other scriptures.

I agree with this, we should really pray for the world...that just shows your character, it is just like the beauty queen that says she prays for world peace. And love one another is also a general theme of Christ. Love God and love one another...that is solid good religion.

Reactions: historyb

Seven of Nine

Sep 28, 2020
North Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Peter 3:8-9

"8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."

Reactions: Josho

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I like that, "Love your enemies", and what is love? I kinda think it is "wanting what's good and best for someone". And I think often, what's good and best for someone is to maintain a law system, where criminals can be stopped and locked up so they can't hurt citizens. It's kind of a peaceful way to allow peace and prosperity to flourish. Sure some people will die in the process, but there is no greater love than to give your life for a friend (John 15:13).

I support troops and police, unless their doing evil. Christianity should always be legal and a right.

Reactions: historyb

Seven of Nine

Sep 28, 2020
North Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like that, "Love your enemies", and what is love?

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away."

1 Corinthians 13:13 "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

100 Bible verses about love - OpenBible.info

Reactions: Josho and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 13:4-8 "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away."

1 Corinthians 13:13 "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

100 Bible verses about love - OpenBible.info

I like also that love protects :)

Seven of Nine

Sep 28, 2020
North Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like also that love protects :)

What is love, you ask...

John 3:16-17 "16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Reactions: Josho and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is love, you ask...

John 3:16-17 "16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

Yeah, we can all be brought back to life thru the resurrection. That is a protecting love.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ preached love and compassion and forgiveness, agreed. So back to the topic where is all that love for the 600,000 babies murdered every year. Do they not count? Do not the scriptures also address them? Does Christ exclude them from His love and compassion? Do the Democrats express there love for humanity by murdering 600,000 babies a year. Is it really the only choice? Or is murder more convenient?

In case you have not noticed that is a 6 with five 0's. Do you believe Christ believes in justice? Do you believe Christ supports abortion? Oh, huggy and Kissy the bloodthirsty evil! What do you think Christ thinks of people that murder babies? That support it through their votes. "I do not believe in God and I vote for murdering babies and communism!" that should be their battle cry!

Do not resist evil...turn the other cheek....should we turn it over to the communists now? Should we not resist the evils of the world? The Democrats want us to believe what they believe...should we join them? Well, people do every time they vote for a Democrat.....Should we be concerned about innocence murdered? Do those compassionate scriptures included babies?

And it is not only the babies, its the mothers that are hoodwink into this despicable evil. They do not council mothers on the downside of abortion....and like I said the female councilors are not allowed to say anything negative about abortion, that is the law. So the mothers are totally unprepared when their babies scream as they are being murdered! And it does happen, know that for sure. Where are is all the lovey dovey stuff for the babies? Why don't you quote scriptures for the murdered babies. There comes a time when you need to be not only honest with others, but with yourself.....where do you stand? Do you stand with evil? Do you shake a Bible to try to justify evil?

Christ spoke and acted against evildoers in the Gospels, but if you want to see Christ beliefs and actions against evildoers, read Revelation...it is the perfect example of giving the evildoers enough rope to hang themselves. So the question is; is it love or compassion for us to condemn what they do now, or pat them on the back and hug them as they march towards the lake of fire? It has never been a belief or custom to accept the evildoer and Paul spoke of giving such a one over to Satan for the destruction of there body.

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Christ preached love and compassion and forgiveness, agreed. So back to the topic where is all that love for the 600,000 babies murdered every year. Do they not count? Do not the scriptures also address them? Does Christ exclude them from His love and compassion? Do the Democrats express there love for humanity by murdering 600,000 babies a year. Is it really the only choice? Or is murder more convenient?

In case you have not noticed that is a 6 with five 0's. Do you believe Christ believes in justice? Do you believe Christ supports abortion? Oh, huggy and Kissy the bloodthirsty evil! What do you think Christ thinks of people that murder babies? That support it through their votes. "I do not believe in God and I vote for murdering babies and communism!" that should be their battle cry!

Do not resist evil...turn the other cheek....should we turn it over to the communists now? Should we not resist the evils of the world? The Democrats want us to believe what they believe...should we join them? Well, people do every time they vote for a Democrat.....Should we be concerned about innocence murdered? Do those compassionate scriptures included babies?

And it is not only the babies, its the mothers that are hoodwink into this despicable evil. They do not council mothers on the downside of abortion....and like I said the female councilors are not allowed to say anything negative about abortion, that is the law. So the mothers are totally unprepared when their babies scream as they are being murdered! And it does happen, know that for sure. Where are is all the lovey dovey stuff for the babies? Why don't you quote scriptures for the murdered babies. There comes a time when you need to be not only honest with others, but with yourself.....where do you stand? Do you stand with evil? Do you shake a Bible to try to justify evil?

Compassion and love should be for all people, not just 600,000.

What do you have against turning the other cheek? Capitalism has it's flaws too you know.

Reactions: Seven of Nine

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Compassion and love should be for all people, not just 600,000.

What do you have against turning the other cheek? Capitalism has it's flaws too you know.
What do you have against turning the other cheek? I only have two.
Compassion and love should be for all people, not just 600,000. Remember that for the millions that have been murdered and how do you...I mean how do you...show compassion and concern for the millions that will be murdered....tell me how are you going to show compassion. Just exactly what are you going to do?....is it a spectator sport? Would it be easier for you to understand if it was old people that were being murdered? What would you do different if it was old people? Would you just shake the Bible to justify evil? Or would you just watch that too? They came up with the term abortion to soften the act of murder...we could do that across the board, instead of calling it murder, we could call it aborted from life.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What do you have against turning the other cheek? I only have two.
Compassion and love should be for all people, not just 600,000. Remember that for the millions that have been murdered and how do you...I mean how do you...show compassion and concern for the millions that will be murdered....tell me how are you going to show compassion. Just exactly what are you going to do?....is it a spectator sport? Would it be easier for you to understand if it was old people that were being murdered? What would you do different if it was old people? Would you just shake the Bible to justify evil? Or would you just watch that too? They came up with the term abortion to soften the act of murder...we could do that across the board, instead of calling it murder, we could call it aborted from life.

I pray for those in government, Revival, and the turning of a nation to God.

What do you do?

It still doesn't change the fact that love one another is for all people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.