Is it ok for a Christian to kill people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Jesus personally toldme that we were not to hurt/harm anyone for any reason.

I was in the US ArmedForces for five years, grew up reading about war heroes. I even believed the USGovernment had a right to fight in Vietnam.

I wonder how many ofyou have ever truly asked Jesus if Christians had a right to kill for anyreason?

Read and see if theEarly Church allowed people to fight in any army. You will find that the Early Christians were pacifists.

It was Constantine the Great that brought the Church down, because heneeded people for his army.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
I believe that in war it's "Okay" as in a nessisary evil.

I also believe that all governments and wars are directed by God. There is a time for war, I don't believe a soldier who is fighting for his country is commiting a sin. Although it can be a sin, seems there should be an appropriate amount of sadness and respect for the dead that should be observed, if it's enjoyable, it's absolutely a sin.

As for someone trying to kill my family, well, if there's a way to stop it, I will by any means. One thing though, I wouldn't try to kill the person attacking my family.

Even though I train martial arts, if someone held a gun to my head and demanded my possessions, I'll hand them over. Even if someone was attacking me or my family, I wouldn't intentionally kill the guy even though I have the means.

Death penalty, hmmmm, I'm not so sure about. Mostly it's one wicked person killing another. Which is worse though? To live as dead in a tomb for your whole life, or to die?

I'm certain everyone of us would have a different opinion if one of our kids were brutally murdered, or our husband or wife or grandma or anyone we love.

But the Christan's country is the kingdom of God, which does not war in the physical realm.

Some good posts here :)

My opinion: Murder is not defined as merely killing someone, it is defined as killing someone unjustly with evil intent.

Jews were told not to murder, but yet killing Philistines was fine....as Christians we understand that God is not contradicting Himself like most falsely accuse Him of.... but that it is a simple case of needing to judge intent. God could however not make His intent clearly known to anyone until Jesus...hence all the laws to the Jews.

To kill in self defense is perfectly acceptable, though the purity of the intention being self defence would need to be judged. As far as being in an army goes....NO Christian is excempt for killing if they are sent to war by a Hitler or Saddam....BUT if the leaders are fairly sane / just and the enemy is a clearly evil threatening your homes safety....then it is a no braniner.

Christians should avoid joining an army, fighting an enemy that is not threatening their safety and is not clearly evil....and should conscription for such an army be compulsory... they would just need to walk closer then most to God every step of the war....leading those in their platoon to Christ by their humane actions.

Jesus dosen't allow the Christian to kill for any reason.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
This is complex question that has both a yes and no answer depending on the circumstances. Did the Jews not have the commandment "Thou shall not kill" yet God approved of the killing of a person for his or her sins if they were found to have broken a law punishable by death. Did God not command his people to kill everyone including the children and animals in towns because they were so wicked?

The entire bible deals with good vs evil on nearly every page. Both God and Jesus both agree it is best not to kill and we should not kill but rather love one each other. Does this mean that if a town full of Christians is invaded by enemies we should just sit down,stretch out our neck and wait to be killed? Should we not fight and do nothing? If you read the bible from cover to cover there is nothing written saying we should ever just sit back and be taken advantage of by our enemies. Both God and Jesus wants us to prevail over our enemies each and every time.

The bible states that killing a person in self defense is allowed as written here...

"If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; Exodus 22:2

Jesus said...."My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place." John 18:36.

Jesus said "fight". Clearly he supports fighting back in the face of danger.

Jesus also said...He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Jesus meets a high ranking officer in the military....

5When he entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, appealing to him 6and saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, in terrible distress." 7And he said to him, "I will come and cure him." 8The centurion answered, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed. 9For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes, and to another, 'Come,' and he comes, and to my slave, 'Do this,' and the slave does it." 10When Jesus heard him, he was amazed and said to those who followed him, "Truly I tell you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith. Matthew 8:5-10

This website pretty much sums it up...

http://www.gotquestions.org/war-Bible.html

Question: "What does the Bible say about war?"

Answer: Many people make the mistake of reading what the Bible says in Exodus 20:13, “You shall not kill,” and then seeking to apply this command to war. However, the Hebrew word literally means “the intentional, premeditated killing of another person with malice; murder.” God often ordered the Israelites to go to war with other nations (1 Samuel 15:3; Joshua 4:13). God ordered the death penalty for numerous crimes (Exodus 21:12, 15; 22:19; Leviticus 20:11). So, God is not against killing in all circumstances, but only murder. War is never a good thing, but sometimes it is a necessary thing. In a world filled with sinful people (Romans 3:10-18), war is inevitable. Sometimes the only way to keep sinful people from doing great harm to the innocent is by going to war.

In the Old Testament, God ordered the Israelites to “take vengeance on the Midianites for the Israelites” (Numbers 31:2). Deuteronomy 20:16-17 declares, “However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them…as the LORD your God has commanded you.” Also, 1 Samuel 15:18 says, “Go and completely destroy those wicked people, the Amalekites; make war on them until you have wiped them out.” Obviously God is not against all war. Jesus is always in perfect agreement with the Father (John 10:30), so we cannot argue that war was only God’s will in the Old Testament. God does not change (Malachi 3:6; James 1:17).

Jesus’ second coming will be exceedingly violent. Revelation 19:11-21 describes the ultimate war with Christ, the conquering commander who judges and makes war “with justice” (v. 11). It’s going to be bloody (v. 13) and gory. The birds will eat the flesh of all those who oppose Him (v. 17-18). He has no compassion upon His enemies, whom He will conquer completely and consign to a “fiery lake of burning sulfur” (v. 20).

It is an error to say that God never supports a war. Jesus is not a pacifist. In a world filled with evil people, sometimes war is necessary to prevent even greater evil. If Hitler had not been defeated by World War II, how many more millions would have been killed? If the American Civil War had not been fought, how much longer would African-Americans have had to suffer as slaves?

War is a terrible thing. Some wars are more “just” than others, but war is always the result of sin (Romans 3:10-18). At the same time, Ecclesiastes 3:8 declares, “There is…a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.” In a world filled with sin, hatred, and evil (Romans 3:10-18), war is inevitable. Christians should not desire war, but neither are Christians to oppose the government God has placed in authority over them (Romans 13:1-4; 1 Peter 2:17). The most important thing we can be doing in a time of war is to be praying for godly wisdom for our leaders, praying for the safety of our military, praying for quick resolution to conflicts, and praying for a minimum of casualties among civilians on both sides (Philippians 4:6-7).

I'm sorry Thomas but Jesus does not allow the Christian to kill period. Christians live from the NT until it comes to this issue of War, then they head to the OT to attempt to support claim that war or self defense is OK. That, however, doesn't work. You see God foretold through Isaiah of a time when all of that would change. He said it would change when His elect one came.

Isaiah 42:1-9 ( KJV )
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.
Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
[u]Behold, the former things are come to pass[/u], and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.

This prophecy from Isaiah clearly speaks of Christ and when He came. God says clearly through Isaiah that the old things are come to pass, He says, "New things do I declare", and He said this long before it happened so that when it did they would know it. So there is no appeal to the OT Law regarding murder, self defense, and war, because the old things are come to pass. Christ brought a new Law that says, 'love your enemy', 'do good to those who persecute you', 'do not return evil for evil', etc. Paul told the Romans not to avenge themselves that vengeance belonged to the Lord.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Jesus dosen't allow the Christian to kill for any reason.

Self defence is not murder.

1) If there is a suicide bomber running towards you and your family and you see a gun...do you shoot him or leave him to blow up which results in your kids going to hospital, your wife to heaven and you paralyzed?

2) If you had the opportunity to kill Hitler, knowing what he had done / was doing / and planned to do.....would you?

3) If your wife was being raped by a guy bigger then you, who just knocked you to the floor...and the only way you could stop him was to pick up his sawn-off shotgun and shoot him, would you?

The difference between the OT and the NT is that God's laws are written on our hearts...we now need to consider the heart of God in every decision we make...regarding helping the weak (kurds) from the strong (Saddam) there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that! If anything there should be a special reward in heaven for those who helped out!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Self defence is not murder.

1) If there is a suicide bomber running towards you and your family and you see a gun...do you shoot him or leave him to blow up which results in your kids going to hospital, your wife to heaven and you paralyzed?

2) If you had the opportunity to kill Hitler, knowing what he had done / was doing / and planned to do.....would you?

3) If your wife was being raped by a guy bigger then you, who just knocked you to the floor...and the only way you could stop him was to pick up his sawn-off shotgun and shoot him, would you?

The difference between the OT and the NT is that God's laws are written on our hearts...we now need to consider the heart of God in every decision we make...regarding helping the weak (kurds) from the strong (Saddam) there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that! If anything there should be a special reward in heaven for those who helped out!
If, If, If ...

Luke 11:4 (NKJV)
[sup]4 [/sup]And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one."

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Luke 6:27 (NKJV)
[sup]27 [/sup]"But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Not even close.

You provided a scripture stating, "do good to those that hate you" to explain why it is wrong for a Christian to kill someone to defend themselves, their wives, or their children

I point out you don't have to hate someone to kill them to defend you or your family.

Your answer: "Not Christians."

News for ya, big guy. You don't have to hate someone in order to kill them to defend yourself of your loved ones.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Not even close.

You provided a scripture stating, "do good to those that hate you" to explain why it is wrong for a Christian to kill someone to defend themselves, their wives, or their children

I point out you don't have to hate someone to kill them to defend you or your family.

Your answer: "Not Christians."

News for ya, big guy. You don't have to hate someone in order to kill them to defend yourself of your loved ones.
People kill others because they know God won't help them, so they answer their own prayers with violence.

Luke 11:4 (NKJV)
[sup]4 [/sup] And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
And you know that if a man has broken into your home and is lunging at your family with an ax, God will take care of it and you have to but sit back and watch it happen.

And if you don't believe that then you are a failure as a Christian.

Sounds a lot like the people who won't take their sick child to a hospital because they know God will heal the child.

The child died, not because of their inaction, but their poor faith.

God it, thanks.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
And you know that if a man has broken into your home and is lunging at your family with an ax, God will take care of it and you have to but sit back and watch it happen.

And if you don't believe that then you are a failure as a Christian.

Sounds a lot like the people who won't take their sick child to a hospital because they know God will heal the child.

The child died, not because of their inaction, but their poor faith.

God it, thanks.
The Lord is my Helper.

Hebrews 13:6 (NKJV)
[sup]6 [/sup]So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I agree. Let's pray he helps you.
It only works for we who believe He will. Satan has stripped modern 'Christianity' of its faith and power. Paul warned of this time.

2 Timothy 3:1-5 (NKJV)
[sup]1 [/sup]But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: [sup]2 [/sup]For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, [sup]3 [/sup]unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, [sup]4 [/sup]traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, [sup]5 [/sup]having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Your point is made.
Any time that a parent who kept their child with severe illness away from a doctor or hospital because they have faith God will heal them, the death of the child is solely and completely because the parents were without enough faith.

Got it. Thanks.