Is Obedience a Condition of Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She is a sinner. So are you and I

I am not a sinner anymore.

I have had my sins taken away by faith in Christ and I obey him in sinning no more.

The scriptures warn about what will happen to sinners:

Isaiah 13:9 KJV
Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 2:14 KJV
But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Peter was called out for not walking uprightly according to the truth of gospel, not because he was sinning against the law.

By the law is the knowledge of sin (Romans 3:20). What law was Peter breaking? None.
You just excused peters sin

shame on you

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have had my sins taken away by faith in Christ and I obey him in sinning no more.

Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
Yep now I remember you completely and why your no longer there :(

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, I’m disappointed in you, EG.

The first negative comment towards another is cast by a Once Saved Always Saved adherent.

Why is it that I have not cast a “shame on you” comment?

Because love thinks no evil of others.

A respectful debate cannot be had with some sadly.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sure you are

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure you are
We are all sinners in the sense that we all have indwelling sin (1 John 1:8; see also 1 Timothy 1:15).

However, indwelling sin can be rendered dead (Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8) so that it no longer has any say over our behaviour (Romans 6:14); while it is not eradicated from us

Thus, it is possible that we can cease from being sinners in the sense of being people who sin (1 John 3:9, 1 John 3:6, 1 John 2:17).

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure you are

Why does your false accusation bring this scripture to my mind:

2 Timothy 3:2-5 KJV
[2] For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, [3] Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, [4] Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; [5] Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who fall away are apostates who never had true faith in the beginning.

That's an excuse used by those who think a believer on Christ cannot fall away. It shows Biblical ignorance of God's Word that reveals a difference between those 'called' only, vs. those called and chosen. This is also evidenced by Christ in His parable of the ten virgins, as He showed He will close the door on the five foolish virgins. It is also evidenced by the Epistles by the Apostles, especially Paul, who continually warned brethren against falling away, which is the subject he wrote of in Hebrews 6.

For the coming time of "great tribulation", the major test for believers on Christ Jesus will be the appearance of the pseudo-Christ who will have supernatural powers to work great signs and wonders and miracles on earth while proclaiming to be God. The only ones that will not believe on that false one will be Christ's elect who were chosen before the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:4-8).

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does your false accusation bring this scripture to my mind:

2 Timothy 3:2-5 KJV
[2] For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, [3] Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, [4] Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; [5] Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
There's nothing false about you or me being sinners. I'm a saved sinner, saved by the Grace of God!

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an excuse used by those who think a believer on Christ cannot fall away. It shows Biblical ignorance of God's Word that reveals a difference between those 'called' only, vs. those called and chosen. This is also evidenced by Christ in His parable of the ten virgins, as He showed He will close the door on the five foolish virgins. It is also evidenced by the Epistles by the Apostles, especially Paul, who continually warned brethren against falling away, which is the subject he wrote of in Hebrews 6.

For the coming time of "great tribulation", the major test for believers on Christ Jesus will be the appearance of the pseudo-Christ who will have supernatural powers to work great signs and wonders and miracles on earth while proclaiming to be God. The only ones that will not believe on that false one will be Christ's elect who were chosen before the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:4-8).
No believer in Christ can fall away and be lost. It's absolutely impossible

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Through the blood of Jesus Christ (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29) and through the Spirit and belief of the truth (2 Thessalonians 2:13).
Right by the blood of Christ. So then they were sanctified before they were born like Jeremiah right?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No believer in Christ can fall away and be lost. It's absolutely impossible

Ultimately, I would tend to agree. It is my hope that brethren that fall away in the future tribulation to the Antichrist will still be saved by Jesus in His future "thousand years" reign with His elect.

But I won't lie against God's written Word, as there will be those of the five foolish virgins who thought they were saved, but when Jesus appears He shuts the door on them...

Matt 25:7-13
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, "Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out."
9 But the wise answered, saying, "Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves."
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, "Lord, Lord, open to us."
12 But he answered and said, "Verily I say unto you, I know you not."
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

KJV

Here's something most preachers leave out when they try to cover that ten virgins parable:

Did you notice in the above where Jesus finishes that parable with a warning to watch, for you don't know the day nor hour of His coming? Where did He teach about that before in The Gospel Books? He taught it in His Olivet discourse where He gave the main Signs of the end leading up to His return to gather His Church.

Result: that means He made that ten virgins parable a warning in relation to knowing the Signs of the end He gave.

Did you know that Apostle Paul did that also in 1 Thessalonians 5:1-9, as the idea of the thief in the night was a metaphorical Sign Jesus first gave in His Olivet discourse also involving the day of His coming?

Thus there is absolutely no way anyone can try to say those five foolish virgins are not about deceived brethren in His Church. That exactly is who they represent, those who do not WATCH like He said.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right by the blood of Christ. So then they were sanctified before they were born like Jeremiah right?
They are sanctified when they are practically made holy.

With Jeremiah the term sanctified means "set apart"...

However the word "sanctify" also means "to make holy" which is something that happens in the practical sense when the person begins to change their life.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are sanctified when they are practically made holy.

With Jeremiah the term sanctified means "set apart"...

However the word "sanctify" also means "to make holy" which is something that happens in the practical sense when the person begins to change their life.
Scripture in Heb 10:10 said that they were sanctified by Christ death. That's before they were born.

Heyzeus

Sep 18, 2020
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Many people know about God, but less actually are converted and follow God. As Christ did at Gethsemane we must set aside all and follow Gods will. Jesus came across someone who asked this same question:

Matthew 19:16-17
"16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.'

This young ruler obviously lived “a good life.” He’d convinced himself that he had “made it” in both before others and in his spiritual life. Yet, for all that, he sensed something was missing.

Was Jesus telling the rich young ruler to do something meritorious when He told him to keep the commandments? Obviously not, for salvation is "not of works, lest any man should boast." But was Jesus telling this man plainly what the condition of salvation was? If we will enter into eternal life, what is necessary?

What was Christ saying to the rich young ruler. Was obedience a condition or a requirement that we must meet before God can save us? If we look, Christ wanted more than obedience, Christ was showing that true obedience includes our outward deeds, but it is not just our outward deeds. True obedience is both the outward deed and the inner motive that prompts the deed.

We see Christ get to this with the rich young ruler:
Matthew 19:20-22
"20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions."

In order to be saved a person must be converted, and conversion is what makes true obedience possible. Unconverted people cannot truly obey God, they can "talk" about God, but not fully "walk" with Him. The condition or the basis for our salvation is faith. The result of our salvation is obedience. Those who aren't really converted and will be lost at the end, can’t obey. The truly converted or saved at the end, will show the fruits of the Spirit..

Ephesians 5:8-10 King James Version (KJV)
8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

Jesus answers this fellows question .. obey the commands .. the fellow says he has done these things .. Jesus response is " If you want to be perfect"

Perfection however is not required - to enter the pearly gates .. just follow the golden rule and you are good to go :)

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus answers this fellows question .. obey the commands .. the fellow says he has done these things .. Jesus response is " If you want to be perfect"

Perfection however is not required - to enter the pearly gates .. just follow the golden rule and you are good to go :)
What golden rule

Status
Not open for further replies.