Is seeking for Signs today, a lack of faith?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are people out there today seeking for signs, even visions, in when they are praying they are hoping for God to show them a sign.

Do you believe that sign seeking is a lack of faith though?

There are instances in the Bible that show a bargaining with God, such as Abraham’s bargains with God about saving people in Sodom and Gormorrah.

There is also an instance with Gideon, when he asked God to show him a sign by using a fleece which God answers him by having the grass around the fleece wet and the fleece was dry in the morning.

One more instance is the servant whom found rebekah, the servant in prayer asked God for the woman to do certain things in which he would be able to tell which wife would be suitable for I believe it is Isaac.

Do you believe that sign seeking like this, considering the circumstances of Jesus Christ having died, buried and raised again is viable for God to such things as praying for a sign, and God answering it?

Is the sign taken for just a moment and then perhaps a person desires more signs from God?

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are people out there today seeking for signs, even visions, in when they are praying they are hoping for God to show them a sign.

There are instances in the Bible that show a bargaining with God, such as Abraham’s bargains with God about saving people in Sodom and Gormorrah.

There is also an instance with Gideon, when he asked God to show him a sign by using a fleece which God answers him by having the grass around the fleece wet and the fleece was dry in the morning.

One more instance is the servant whom found rebekah, the servant in prayer asked God for the woman to do certain things in which he would be able to tell which wife would be suitable for I believe it is Isaac.

Do you believe that sign seeking like this, considering the circumstances of Jesus Christ having died, buried and raised again is viable for God to such things as praying for a sign, and God answering it?

Is the sign taken for just a moment and then perhaps a person desires more signs from God?
When Jesus Christ was on earth, he gave his listeners a lesson in observing signs and acting accordingly. He was talking about something of far-reaching importance. The Bible reports: “The Pharisees and Sadducees approached him and, to tempt him, they asked him to display to them a sign from heaven. In reply he said to them: ‘When evening falls you are accustomed to say, “It will be fair weather, for the sky is fire-red”; and at morning, “It will be wintry, rainy weather today, for the sky is fire-red, but gloomy-looking.” You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but the signs of the times you cannot interpret.’”(Matthew 16:1-3)

In mentioning “the signs of the times,” Jesus indicated that his first-century Jewish listeners should have been aware of the urgency of the times in which they were living. The Jewish system of things was about to experience a cataclysm that would affect all of them.
A few days before his death, Jesus spoke to his disciples about another sign, the sign of his presence. What he said on that occasion is of vital importance to everyone today.
What I'm saying is 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 is completely true, all the signs you need to be aware of today are in scripture. This is why we should read, study, and meditate on the scriptures, apply them in our life. All the signs we need are in the scriptures.

Reactions: MatthewG

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A lack of faith? Yes. Faith in myself that I actually understand what God is communicating to me.

I've asked God for various confirmations, and He's been really good at giving them to me.

Of course, a couple of weeks ago, I asked God to confirm something, His answer was a resounding No, You know I said this to you! Either you believe it or you don't. Which is it? I had to answer, I do know it's You. And He fulfilled, and is fulfilling His word to me.

I'm just a child, I don't know how to go out or come in. Thankfully He treats me like a child!

Much love!

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Signs and wonders etc.. are very rare things. Contrary to popular belief they DON'T happen all the time!

A miracle, by definition is a very rare thing. So we shouldn't EXPECT signs and wonders etc..

It's up to God, and not up to us for them to happen. When He does perform these, it's for particular reasons and purposes. So it's not a lack of faith on our part if we don't see signs etc..

Our part is to focus on knowing God's Word and following it. Not seeking after something that is very rarely seen anyway.

The birth of a child we call a 'miracle' but it is not a biblical miracle. That's nature taking it's course. Even though it is amazing how God puts soulish potentialities in sperm and they interact with the womb to produce a baby.

There are many things like this. That are amazing.. God made.. but follow the ordinary course of nature. Biblical miracles are super natural.. they are exceptional, rare. God can perform them if He wants to, but they aren't to be expected every day.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: Is seeking signs today a lack of faith?
Yes, Under Grace, According To The Revelation of the Mystery:

2Co_5:7 ( For we walk by faith, not by sight: )

Faith (for the Body Of Christ) is "looking for, watching for, and patiently waiting for":

Only ONE Person, our Blessed Hope, The HOLY One, The LORD Jesus Christ!
(2 Thessalonians 2:1; Romans 8:18-19; Romans 8:23; Romans 8:25; 1 Corinthians 1:7;
Ephesians 6:12-18; Philippians 3:20; Colossians 4:1-3; 1 Thessalonians 1:10;
1 Thessalonians 5:5-11; Titus 2:13)

At Which Time, our faith will Then Be "turned to SIGHT!" Amen? We are in Heaven, and:

Earthly Israel, in the future Great Tribulation period, will be "those seeking signs."

Precious friends:

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The seeking of signs is not a problem with our faith, but the apportioning of historical events to biblical prophetic signs is a lack of faith in that we wrongly fix historical facts to the wrong time frames so as to forge a wrong understanding of How God has been or is working in our world.

Let me explain: -
  • the 7th Bowl judgement historically can be fixed to the 20th century, because of the revealed signs in this prophecy that witness to this time period.
  • the 6th Bowl judgement is presently unfolding/happening at this present time, but because the prophecy spans such an extended timeframe, it is difficult for us to connect the dots so to speak.
If our translations of the Greek text contain intermittent errors when paraphrased into English, then our ability to be able to recognise the signs becomes difficult and we become confused when we are not able to discern the signs given.

Sadly, the translations have many holes in them, that leads to not understanding the intended signs that are contained within the texts.

Shalom

• Wow

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co_5:7 ( For we walk by faith, not by sight: )
AMEN! But most importantly, "FAITH COMES BY HEARING."

Romans 10:8-18 reads:
17) So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

To God Be The Glory

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But he answered them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign; but no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah." Matthew 12:39 RSV

Seeking for signs today must be a lack of something.