Is the ability to procreate the only requirement for the "model" marriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam and Eve's marriage = PASS or FAIL?

Is this really the model for marriage? A&E.
The result of this relationship was the Fall of humankind. FAIL.
(assuming we take the Genesis record as literal)

Adam failed as a husband and Eve failed as a wife. FAIL.
(although I think Eve was set up by bad leadership from Adam)

Example: Eve told the serpent that they were
not allowed "to touch" the forbidden fruit. Where did that come from?
God told Adam that he was not allowed to eat.
Nothing (in the text) was said about not touching.

Therefore Adam was caught in his misstatement to Eve. (he added to God;s word) FAIL.
The serpent could easily disprove that death would not come from touching the fruit.
And Adam stood by and said nothing. FAIL.

Eve decided to take the fruit and eat based on here discussion with the serpent.
She did not consult with her husband. FAIL. And Adam followed her lead. FAIL.

Do we really want to declare A&E's failed relationship as God's model for marriage?
Perhaps we should look elsewhere? Open to suggestions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Perhaps A&E could use a bit of marriage counseling?

--- PARODY --- on the Fall in Genesis chapter three

Serpent: Did God really say... ?
Eve: He said don't eat and don't touch.
Adam: Oops, my bad, I said don't touch.
Eve: What?! God didn't say that? !!!
Adam: No, I added that because
I know you like to touch things without thinking.
Eve: So, you don't trust me? !!!
Adam: I'm looking out for our best interests. My job.
Eve: I see.
Serpent: Are you going to eat, or not? !!!
Eve: Let me check with the boss. - LOL
Adam: Scram serpent!
Serpent: Hiss... (walks away dejected)
Eve: Hey, let's check out that other tree.
Adam: Good idea!

Indeed.

/

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Therefore Adam was caught in his misstatement to Eve. (he added to God;s word) FAIL.
The serpent could easily disprove that death would not come from touching the fruit.

Eve decided to take the fruit and eat based on here discussion with the serpent.

Do we really want to declare A&E's failed relationship as God's model for marriage?

/
No.

Grace and forgiveness are very necessary as well.

Reactions: St. SteVen

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/
As for the ability to procreate i think you will find that it is not a requirement for marriage for opposite sex couples.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought the most interesting part of the whole fruit of the tree of knowledge story was that the serpent told the truth but God lied.
There's a topic.
Yes, the whole thing was wonky.
How was it that the serpent told the truth?

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As for the ability to procreate i think you will find that it is not a requirement for marriage for opposite sex couples.
That's true, good point.
Where does that leave the "model" marriage example?

Forgot to mention in my OP.
Of the two sons they raised, one was a murderer. The other, murdered.
How much more dysfunctional can you get?

And NONE of the daughters are mentioned. Who was Cain's wife?

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

Grace and forgiveness are very necessary as well.
Agree.
Another poster pointed out that the ability to procreate is not even a requirement for marriage.
Many couples are either infertile, or unable to procreate.

/

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDB

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought the most interesting part of the whole fruit of the tree of knowledge story was that the serpent told the truth but God lied.
Romans 3:4
God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every MAN A LIAR;
as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, And mightest overcome when thou art judged.

John 8:
44 YE are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father's ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode NOT IN THE TRUTH, because there is NO TRUTH IN HIM, When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar , and the father of it.

Those of satans continue to promote his lies in denying the truth of God's word!

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im not married. Have been married about 6 times, maybe… if my fingers still work and my memory is still correct. Never was ordained in Church it was two people connecting via sex.

Now for about 8 years now I been single and dont even mind if I ever get married. Some people are eunchs born that way, made by others that way, or make themselves that way, for the Kingdom of Heaven. It most certainly is a lot more less of a hassle; in my opinion to be by oneself.

Matthew 19:12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this really the model for marriage?

According to God Almighty... YES!

Those that believe, teach, and act otherwise are living in grievous sin and will not be found in God's coming Kingdom because they will be in hell.

There will not be anyone in agreement with sexual perversion found in God's Kingdom!
Oh happy day! banana_dancing.gifbanana_dancing3.gifbanana_dancing2.gif

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/

The marriage of Adam and Eve is not so much a model as it is a revelation. It is only a model and tradition to be handed down for future generations to have the same opportunity to consider the revelation. "God created them male and female" after stating that He created them "in His image." Again as a revelation--an "image."

That "image" He later states differently after the tradition was established--again, think "image"--as "the man of sin is revealed." But this all remained a mystery until the idea of the Bride and Groom was introduced even if only eluded to, as the basis of salvation, and then only fully elaborated upon by Paul--that we should "leave our father and mother" (the devil and this world) and be joined with Christ as if "One" flesh...just as Eve was before being taken out of the man. It's all an "image." But what "man of sin is revealed?" Satan? Yes, but more importantly, that man of flesh that first came out from God and became the bride of Satan bearing children from which we came, unto all these many generations. In other words, that "man of sin"--is us--we his children born of our father the devil!

Thus, as Eve was taken out of the man, and marriage was to be her return, and the church is as a bride...the necessary return or becoming One flesh, is not with a marriage of good and evil born of flesh "revealed" in us all, but a marriage of God and His bride born rather of the Spirit--that which is not "revealed" until the "man of flesh" is revealed--meaning every man (and woman) born of the flesh of the "kind" of Eve, rather than of God.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The marriage of Adam and Eve is not so much a model as it is a revelation.
Good post, thanks.

What are your thoughts on A&E being "the model" of God's design for marriage?
Used mostly to promote heterosexual relationships against LGBT.

/

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3:4
God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every MAN A LIAR;
as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, And mightest overcome when thou art judged.

John 8:
44 YE are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father's ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode NOT IN THE TRUTH, because there is NO TRUTH IN HIM, When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar , and the father of it.

Those of satans continue to promote his lies in denying the truth of God's word!
STAND solid on the ROCK of our salvation CHRIST JESUS and in the HOLY BOOK the BIBLE .
we have many antichrists amongst us who take no time off spouting sin and lies.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thus, as Eve was taken out of the man, and marriage was to be her return, and the church is as a bride...the necessary return or becoming One flesh, is not with a marriage of good and evil born of flesh "revealed" in us all, but a marriage of God and His bride born rather of the Spirit--that which is not "revealed" until the "man of flesh" is revealed--meaning every man (and woman) born of the flesh of the "kind" of Eve, rather than of God.
Interesting that idolatry is sometimes described as adulterous.

/

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post, thanks.

What are your thoughts on A&E being "the model" of God's design for marriage?
Used mostly to promote heterosexual relationships against LGBT.

/

Though the issues of marriage and LGBT have become the seemingly large topic of recent times that they would appear to be, as such those are the smallest of details on the matter. Minutiae, nonetheless important. Each is a part of the greater image cast into the creation of mankind made manifest. The marriage of a man and a woman (beginning with Adam and Eve) shows that just as Eve was taken out of the man, with the "Father" and "Son" also being "male", that mankind (a mere part) was taken out of God, after which came the fall and God's condition of "lest he take also of the tree of life" (being Christ) mankind would not live again, but only suffer death.

Thus, by the same terms, the image shows that a man marrying a man would be like God marrying God--leaving mankind (taken out of God) out of the marriage and eternal life with God. Likewise, the image of a woman marrying a woman, again by the same terms, shows mankind marrying mankind leaving God and the tree of Life out of the marriage...only to suffer death.

But again, the greater revelation of the original marriage model was to show mankind being taken out of God and by what means it is possible to return to Oneness (marriage) with Him through Jesus Christ, the Son given in and for marriage unto life everlasting.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's true, good point.
Where does that leave the "model" marriage example?

Forgot to mention in my OP.
Of the two sons they raised, one was a murderer. The other, murdered.
How much more dysfunctional can you get?

And NONE of the daughters are mentioned. Who was Cain's wife?

/
Can you even imagine how many books we'd need to write the names if every person born? The common sense answer is that Adam and Eve had many children. They were healthy and lived a long time. They likely could have had well over 100 children. Don't forget, they also had Seth after Abel was murdered.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting that idolatry is sometimes described as adulterous.

/

Indeed, just as all marriage-like unions among mankind is not what leads to life everlasting (with God), so too, marriage with other gods does not lead to live everlasting either, but only death.