Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment, biblical or not?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People have their beliefs, such as, "The Trinity Doctrine, immortality of the soul, hellfire doctrine." These are just a few of the beliefs that many people who call themselves Christians believe in. I haven't found these beliefs that people believe, in scripture. However, people take certain scriptures and interpret those scriptures to try to confirm their beliefs. So, since I can't find any scriptures that confirm the Trinity the Trinity being defined as: "In the unity of the Godhead there are Three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, these Three Persons being truly distinct one from another. Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: ‘the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God.’ The Persons are co-eternal and co-equal: all alike are uncreated and omnipotent.”⁠
I have not found this anywhere in the scriptures. I also haven't found in scripture where a man has a immortal soul. I've found in scripture that the righteous humans who get a resurrection like Jesus when resurrected are rewarded with immortality but they didn't have that immortality before they died. Also, nowhere in the scriptures does it say the unrighteous are given immortality. So since I can't find these beliefs in the scriptures but I do see people taking a scripture or scriptures and twist them or take them out of context to try and prove what they believe, that's them interpreting those scriptures to go along with what they believe. According to you, that's heresy.
Well, the Bible clearly shows that there will be literal hell-fire at the end and that those that don't accept Christ will literally perish in it.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mathew 28:19==Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lazarus "went to" the grave. The idea he went to hell, came from myths from babylon or from the Saducees or Pharisees Jesus spoke to, exposing their false teachings and false beliefs..
True, and many learned bible scholars and ministers have believed and preached this, but we seem to be drifting into the myths.

Bishop Timothy Kendrick states in a sermon from 1805:
"The soul of man dies with the body, and is restored to life at the resurrection and second advent." Timothy Kendrick, Sermons, 1805.

Dr. Edward White (1819-1887) was a Congregationalist pastor at St. Paul's Chapel and chairman of the Congregational Union. For over forty years he was a leading advocate of conditional immortality [4150]. In 1883 he made it known:
"I steadfastly maintain, after 40 years of study of the matter, that it is the notion of the infliction of a torment in body and soul that shall be absolutely endless, which alone gives a foot of standing ground to Ingersol in America, or Bradlaugh in England. I believe more firmly than ever that it is a doctrine as contrary to every line of the Bible as it is contrary to every moral instinct of humanity." Introduction to J. H. Pettingell's The Unspeakable Gift, 1884, p. 22.

And "The Old Testament is consistent throughout with the belief of eternal life of the servants of God, and of the eternal destruction of the wicked. And it is consistent, when taken in its simple sense with no other belief ..."
"The Gospels and Epistles with equal pertinacity adhere almost uniformly to language respecting the doom of the unsaved which taken in its simple sense, teaches, as does the Old Testament, that they shall die, perish, be destroyed, not see life, but suffer destruction, everlasting destruction, `destruction,' says Christ, `of body and soul in Gehenna.' J.H. Pettingell, Homiletic Monthly (England), march, 1885.

Archbishop Richard Whately (1787-1863) was archbishop of Dublin, Ireland and a professor at Oxford and principal. He taught the final destruction of the wicked and believed "The wicked are never spoken of as being kept alive, but as forfeiting life." Richard Whitley, A View of the Scriptural Revelations Concerning a Future State.

Dr. Robert W. Dale (1829-1895) was a Congregationalist pastor of Carr's Lane Church in Birmingham. He was editor of The Congregationalist magazine; chairman of the `Congregational Union of England and Wales'; and president of the `First International Council of Congregational Churches in 1891'. He announced his acceptance of conditionalism in a paper before the Congregational Union of 1874.
"Eternal life, as I believe, is the inheritance of those who are in Christ. Those who are not in Him will die the Second Death from which there will be no resurrection ...Recorded in Freer's `Edward White', His Life and Work, 1902, pp. 354-355.

Frederick W. Farrar (1831-1903) was the canon of Westminster Abbey and the dean of Canterbury. he denounced the
"... dogma of endless, conscious suffering and could not find a single text in all Scripture that, when fairly interpreted, teaches the common views about endless torment."

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good documentation, and prepared lesson by member who posted this thread.
Psalm chapter 73. . Thier outside Gods Sanctuary. The wicked wont repent and conform to God's standard.
They don't believe they will account to God on judgement day. The wicked have no future.
What's really interesting !. Revelation chapter 20 . Majority will follow satan at end of millennium.
What does this us??. God knows His children for start.
Jesus is giving them a opportunity to change and love God. It shows how depraved some people are.
The wicked will know Jesus is real during millennium. And at the end of millennium. They will declare satan their king.
Were talking about the one third, who followed satan in first earth age.

This same one third, will follow satan again at end of millennium, revelation chapter 20. It be mind blowing !. Were talking 4 billion. Its beyond lunacy!.
On judgement day. Many will tell God, i hate you. Can we see the wickedness in this.
Revelation chapter 20,is bible prophecy. It will happen. Majority will follow satan into lake of fire. We can't have evildoers and troublemakers in the eternity. Get the picture.