Is the holy spirit a living being Equal to God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets look at the facts:
1) The Father has a name-YHWH(Jehovah) - The son has a name-Jesus--Holy spirit-0
2) The Father sits on a throne-- The son sits on a throne-- Holy spirit-0
3) The Father shares things with the son-Holy spirit-0
4) The Father teaches the son- Holy spirit-0
5)Many important passages mention God and the son-Holy spirit-maybe 2-- The important one = John 17:3--One must know the Father-THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one he sent forth-Jesus to get eternal life- Holy spirit-0

The answer i believe is no the Holy spirit is not a being, but Gods active force according to all that bible evidence.
The New Catholic encyclopedia 1967-Vol XIII page 575-- The majority of New testament texts reveals Gods spirit as something, not someone.

Some religions teach it is a living being, what do you think seeing all the real evidence?
The Holy Spirit IS God.

Let's look at the facts:

"God is a spirit ... "
John 4:24

Where did Jesus get His fatherly contribution to His conception?

"And the angel said unto her (Mary), The Holy Ghost (Spirit) shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest (Most High/God) shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy (One) which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."
Luke 1:35

What did Jesus say about how He (the Holy Spirit/God) would come to live within believers?

"He that hath My Commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him.

*Judas asks for explanation*

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words: and My Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make Our abode with him."
John 14:21-23
(Note: there is ZERO mention of the Holy Spirit as any third party AND Jesus refers to He AND the Father as HIMSELF (one person).

What does Paul say about who/what the Spirit is?

"... ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His. ... if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is Life because of righteousness (of God). ... if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you."
Romans 8:9-11
(Note: Whose Spirit is it that dwells in believers? Paul refers to the Spirit of Christ and the Spirit of God (God IS a Spirit - John 4:24) interchangeably for a reason.

Is the Holy Spirit a living being equal to God?

No.

The Holy Spirit IS GOD.

And Christ IS that Spirit.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Symbolism" : I don't believe what God clearly said!
So, do you mean to say there is no symbolism in Scripture?

Jack. Buddy. The Bible is one of the most figurative, symbolic books ever written. Now, I'm not denying there is literal truth in it. However, much of the message is conveyed through hyperbole and figuratively. For instance, when Jesus said if you destroy this temple, I will rebuild it in 3 days. He was not literally talking about Solomon's temple building.

Another great example is when in Genesis, it says the seed of the women will bruise the serpent with his heel. I'm sure you've heard this is a foreshadowing of Christ. And even who this serpent is. Genesis never says the serpent is Satan.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Father is Yahweh
Jesus Christ is Yahweh
The Holy Spirit is Yahweh

Three distinct 100% coequal, coeternal, coessential Persons in One Divine Nature, or Godhead

Anything else is a FALSE god

Reactions: Angelina

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL! How did a topic about the Holy Spirit turn into a discussion about Jehovah's Witnesses?
Why not talk about Voodoo or Witchcraft? It would be less offensive to God.
I wonder, do the Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs about the Holy Spirit constitute the unpardonable sin?

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Father is Yahweh
Jesus Christ is Yahweh
The Holy Spirit is Yahweh

Three distinct 100% coequal, coeternal, coessential Persons in One Divine Nature, or Godhead

Anything else is a FALSE god
The Father alone is YHWH. Anything else is a FALSE god. This is what Scripture explicitly says and there is no way around it. For us, there is one God, the Father. It doesn't mean anyone else is the one God but the Father.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Father alone is YHWH. Anything else is a FALSE god. This is what Scripture explicitly says and there is no way around it. For us, there is one God, the Father. It doesn't mean anyone else is the one God but the Father.
Just because the Scripture explicitly says things, each and every verse must be aligned with the entirety of the rest of the Bible. And the weight of the Bible as a whole does not support the Jewish concept that Jesus is not God, Soul Strangler.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My thoughts :
Genesis 1:1-4 ( cxt)
In the beginning GOD created the heaven and the earth.

John 1:1-3 ( cxt)
2.The same was in the beginning with God [  WORD ]

1Corinthians 2:9-12 ( cxt )
10. But God hath revealed them unto us by HIS Spirit: for the Spirit search all things,yea the deep things of God.

We see God in the above:
There is ONE GOD who rules heaven and earth. He does this by HIS WORD and by HIS SPIRIT !
 God
had spoken in times past by the prophets that man had an evil heart and his thought and imaginations were to do evil.

Just as by what he SPOKE were all things created, THE WORD, HIS WORD, spoke the solution of man's destiny into existence. HIS SPIRIT overshadowed Mary to fulfil his word and produced the Messiah, the Son of God. Our redemption had to be born of man & God to overcome the darkness that walked the earth. God dwelt amongst us in human form.1. To show us himself, and 2. To suffered with man unto death in understanding and take our sins to the cross with himself ! Satan roams about going to & fro in the earth seeking whom he may devour.

When the plan of salvation was "finished", He returned to his heavenly throne but SENT his SPIRIT to comfort, guide, reveal, pray for, remind, teach and bear his fruit in us to reveal himself through us to a wicked, godless world.

All these movements, forms and manifestations are GOD! He became a man , the Son, for our redemption of sins wages. He sent his Spirit, his essence ,his power and his authority to HELP man in his needs, for we are weak in the flesh.

There is but ONE GOD ,and HE must be worshipped in SPIRIT and in TRUTH !

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because the Scripture explicitly says things, each and every verse must be aligned with the entirety of the rest of the Bible. And the weight of the Bible as a whole does not support the Jewish concept that Jesus is not God, Soul Strangler.
The opposite is true. Son of God is who Jesus is, not God the Son as converses are not synonyms.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The opposite is true. Son of God is who Jesus is, not God the Son as converses are not synonyms.
Enforcing English language rules onto God's Word which, as you well know, was translated from multiple other languages?

That's putting man above God and your failure inevitably ensues again.

Jesus IS God.

Converses and synonyms or not.

You're still trying to put the Bible into the category of poetry and literature.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Symbolism" : I don't believe what God clearly said!

"Forever and ever" means exactly what God said!
And Jesus assures-those walking the broad and spacious path will be destroyed.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not qualified to rewrite our Bible. That will lead you to Hell fire.
I didnt rewrite it. Catholicism translated errors in to fit false council teachings. Best check facts. The Israelites removed Gods name in fear of taking it in vain. The righteous do not take it in vain only the wicked fear doing that.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Jesus assures-those walking the broad and spacious path will be destroyed.
Then why does Jesus say "everlasting", "forever and ever"? You've been duped by Satan. He wants your company in Hell fire!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didnt rewrite it. Catholicism translated errors in to fit false council teachings. Best check facts. The Israelites removed Gods name in fear of taking it in vain. The righteous do not take it in vain only the wicked fear doing that.
I'm not Catholic. I don't believe Catholic doctrine. Try again. All of our Bibles say you are wrong.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus is God in flesh. But either way, you have to get to know Him/Them.
You should believe Jesus, all his real followers do-John 17:3--This means eternal life, their knowing you(Father) THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one whom you sent forth Christ Jesus---all can see 2 points there taught by Jesus--1) The Father is the only true God, and God did not come he sent one named Jesus as a mortal.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit IS God.

Let's look at the facts:

"God is a spirit ... "
John 4:24

Where did Jesus get His fatherly contribution to His conception?

"And the angel said unto her (Mary), The Holy Ghost (Spirit) shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest (Most High/God) shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy (One) which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."
Luke 1:35

What did Jesus say about how He (the Holy Spirit/God) would come to live within believers?

"He that hath My Commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him.

*Judas asks for explanation*

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words: and My Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make Our abode with him."
John 14:21-23
(Note: there is ZERO mention of the Holy Spirit as any third party AND Jesus refers to He AND the Father as HIMSELF (one person).

What does Paul say about who/what the Spirit is?

"... ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His. ... if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is Life because of righteousness (of God). ... if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you."
Romans 8:9-11
(Note: Whose Spirit is it that dwells in believers? Paul refers to the Spirit of Christ and the Spirit of God (God IS a Spirit - John 4:24) interchangeably for a reason.

Is the Holy Spirit a living being equal to God?

No.

The Holy Spirit IS GOD.

And Christ IS that Spirit.
My post clearly shows there is 0 equality between the Father, son and holy spirit. Fact--Every living being has a personal name-The HS does not.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should believe Jesus, all his real followers do-John 17:3--This means eternal life, their knowing you(Father) THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one whom you sent forth Christ Jesus---all can see 2 points there taught by Jesus--1) The Father is the only true God, and God did not come he sent one named Jesus as a mortal.
Notice how these who deny that Jesus is God avoid quoting Scripture!

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why does Jesus say "everlasting", "forever and ever"? You've been duped by Satan. He wants your company in Hell fire!
The true God-YHWH(Jehovah) is love, merciful, forgiving, all his ways are justice--not the sadist you are taught in error.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not Catholic. I don't believe Catholic doctrine. Try again. All of our Bibles say you are wrong.
All your bibles are translated from Catholicism translating. Its all that remained of the NT when the protestants translated.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true God-YHWH(Jehovah) is love, merciful, forgiving, all his ways are justice--not the sadist you are taught in error.
Are you referring to God of the Bible Who drowned all on Earth but 8, making them an example?

Status
Not open for further replies.