John 6:66 - Why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not watch videos, but let's focus on the question. And the answer is found in John 6:60: Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?... From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Jesus was presenting Himself to the Jews as the Bread of Life -- the Bread which would give eternal life as opposed the the manna in the wilderness which simply sustained life in the wilderness. Jesus said that unless one eats His flesh and drinks His blood, one cannot have eternal life. And the Jews took this literally to mean cannibalism. Hence they were offended, and said "This is an hard saying". But was Jesus teaching cannibalism, or was He speaking about spiritual realities? The answer is found in verse 63: It is the Spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit, and they are Life.

In other words, to partake of the body and blood of Christ is to spiritually receive Him within the soul (Rev 3:20), and when that happens the Holy Spirit "quickeneth" (or brings to life) the dead spirit of the sinner. And at the same time the one who receives Christ as Lord and Savior receives the gift of eternal life.

And at the Lord's Supper, believers partake symbolically of the body and blood of Christ. But the Catholic Church has changed the Lord's Supper into the Mass, which is a totally different idea.
Amen! In John 6:66, we see that many of Jesus' disciples went back and walked with Him no more, because they were offended by the words of Jesus in regards to eating His flesh and drinking His blood, that they mistakingly understood as literally eating flesh and literally drinking blood. We should not be surprised and as Jesus said in verse 64 - But there are some of you who do not believe. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. Now Jesus was not talking about literal cannibalism here, but the reception of God’s grace by believing in Christ, as He makes clear by repeating the same truths metaphorically and in plain language:

John 6:40 - Everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:54 - Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:47 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.
John 6:58 - He who eats this bread will live forever.

"He who believes" is equivalent to "he who eats this bread and drinks My blood" because the end result is the same, receiving eternal life.

John 6 does not support the Roman Catholic false doctrine of transubstantiation. Jesus is the Bread of Life; we eat of Him and are satisfied when we believe in Him unto salvation. Bread represents the "staff of life." Sustenance. That which essential to sustain life. Just as bread or sustenance is necessary to maintain physical life, Jesus is all the sustenance necessary for spiritual life. The source of physical life is blood -- "life is in the blood." As with the bread, just as blood is the empowering or source of life physically, Jesus is all the source of spiritual life necessary.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! In John 6:66, we see that many of Jesus' disciples went back and walked with Him no more, because they were offended by the words of Jesus in regards to eating His flesh and drinking His blood, that they mistakingly understood as literally eating flesh and literally drinking blood. We should not be surprised and as Jesus said in verse 64 - But there are some of you who do not believe. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. Now Jesus was not talking about literal cannibalism here, but the reception of God’s grace by believing in Christ, as He makes clear by repeating the same truths metaphorically and in plain language:

John 6:40 - Everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:54 - Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:47 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.
John 6:58 - He who eats this bread will live forever.

"He who believes" is equivalent to "he who eats this bread and drinks My blood" because the end result is the same, receiving eternal life.

John 6 does not support the Roman Catholic false doctrine of transubstantiation. Jesus is the Bread of Life; we eat of Him and are satisfied when we believe in Him unto salvation. Bread represents the "staff of life." Sustenance. That which essential to sustain life. Just as bread or sustenance is necessary to maintain physical life, Jesus is all the sustenance necessary for spiritual life. The source of physical life is blood -- "life is in the blood." As with the bread, just as blood is the empowering or source of life physically, Jesus is all the source of spiritual life necessary.
Amen if it prety clear what Jesus is talking about

do not seek food which perishes but food which endures to eternal life which he will give

they promote a food which perishes, hence why they have to continue to eat, this alone proves the Eucharist is teaching are not supported by John 6. But as you show there is so much more

Reactions: mailmandan

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I created the website below. The Bread of Life Discourse is a stumbling block for protestants, which has to do with eternal life.

Many seek to be right, and as a result, they fail to seek the truth!

Truth Campaign | Gospel of John Chapter 6 | Always Seek The Truth!

God Bless!
The Cost of Being a disciple of Jesus

When Jesus carried His cross up Golgotha to be crucified, no one was thinking of the cross as symbolic of a burden to carry. To a person in the first-century, the cross meant one thing and one thing only: death by the most painful and humiliating means human beings could develop.

Two thousand years later, Christians view the cross as a cherished symbol of atonement, forgiveness, grace, and love. But in Jesus’ day, the cross represented nothing but torturous death. Because the Romans forced convicted criminals to carry their own crosses to the place of crucifixion, bearing a cross meant carrying their own execution device while facing ridicule along the way to death.

Therefore, “Take up your cross and follow Me” means being willing to die in order to follow Jesus. This is called “dying to self.” It’s a call to absolute surrender. After each time Jesus commanded cross bearing, He said, “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?” (Luke 9:24-25). Although the call is tough, the reward is matchless.

When Jesus began teaching that He was going to die at the hands of the Jewish leaders and their Gentile overlords (Luke 9:22), His popularity sank. Many of the shocked followers rejected Him. Truly, they were not able to put to death their own ideas, plans, and desires, and exchange them for His.

Following Jesus is easy when life runs smoothly; our true commitment to Him is revealed during trials. Jesus assured us that trials will come to His followers (John 16:33). Discipleship demands sacrifice, and Jesus never hid that cost.

In Luke 9:57-62, three people seemed willing to follow Jesus. When Jesus questioned them further, their commitment was half-hearted at best. They failed to count the cost of following Him. None was willing to take up his cross and crucify upon it his own interests.

Therefore, Jesus appeared to dissuade them. How different from the typical Gospel presentation! How many people would respond to an altar call that went, “Come follow Jesus, and you may face the loss of friends, family, reputation, career, and possibly even your life”? The number of false converts would likely decrease! Such a call is what Jesus meant when He said, “Take up your cross and follow Me.”

If you wonder if you are ready to take up your cross, consider these questions:
• Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means losing some of your closest friends?
• Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means alienation from your family?
• Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means the loss of your reputation?
• Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means losing your job?
• Are you willing to follow Jesus if it means losing your life?

In some places of the world, these consequences are reality. But notice the questions are phrased, “Are you willing?” Following Jesus doesn’t necessarily mean all these things will happen to you, but are you willing to take up your cross? If there comes a point in your life where you are faced with a choice—Jesus or the comforts of this life—which will you choose?

Commitment to Christ means taking up your cross daily, giving up your hopes, dreams, possessions, even your very life if need be for the cause of Christ. Only if you willingly take up your cross may you be called His disciple (Luke 14:27). The reward is worth the price. Jesus followed His call of death to self (“Take up your cross and follow Me”) with the gift of life in Christ: “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it” (Matthew 16:25-26).got ?

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Nancy

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen if it prety clear what Jesus is talking about

do not seek food which perishes but food which endures to eternal life which he will give

they promote a food which perishes, hence why they have to continue to eat, this alone proves the Eucharist is teaching are not supported by John 6. But as you show there is so much more
Matthew 10:24-39

The Meaning of Discipleship

24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign the members of his household!

26 “Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops. 28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

32 “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

hope this helps !!!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 10:24-39

The Meaning of Discipleship

24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master. If they have called the head of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign the members of his household!

26 “Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops. 28 Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

32 “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household.

37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

hope this helps !!!
What does this have to do with John 6, and the food which endures to eternal life?

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Notice the number 666, for it is the number of man.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
@Truthcampaign.org

John 6:66 - Why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

Because it has not been granted to them by the Father. They were not given by the Father to Son for salvation.

Tong
R1174

Reactions: ChristisGod

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I created the website below. The Bread of Life Discourse is a stumbling block for protestants, which has to do with eternal life.

God Bless!

unless a great falling away come first. Could even suggest ‘try the spirit whether it be of God or of man. Whether the mind of flesh and after the things of the flesh, or of the Mind of Christ and after the things which belong to Christ. It is a hard saying who then can receive it...does this not point to ‘one must be born of Spirit’ for the natural man cannot receive the things of God for to him they are foolish. Always heard it was because they took it as literal; eating his flesh and drinking his blood; cannibalism. And were offended. Maybe so by what the law stated of eating and drinking blood. But isn’t there another form of cannibalism in biting and devouring and eating and consuming one another up? His word speaks of eating the flesh of your own children; destroying, eating, consuming them up. As in the OT they went to see the land and there were giants and the land was one which ‘eats up (devours, consumes) the inhabitants thereof Numbers 13:32 And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.

Matthew 24:10-13 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. [11] And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. [12] And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. [13] But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
^do we see the above even here on the forum ‘the love of many shall wax cold’ even going so far as ‘what see how much I Love Jesus!’ ...but in total denial of ‘wax cold’ or ‘shall hate one another’

God looks on the low estate of His handmaiden; and speaks of: mind not high things but men of low stature. The parables give also this falling away when persecution comes for the sake of the word many go away offended at the cost in stop eating and consuming and devouring one another. ‘If you love Me then you will do what I say’ Matthew 13:20-21 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; [21] Yet hath he not root in himself, but endures for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

(Imo) it was more than they thought he literally wanted them to drink his blood and eat his flesh but the cost. What is genuinely for the Lord and what is not; is it not tried and shaken and that not of Him departs and goes away. John the Baptist received the word ‘blessed is he who is not offended in Me’ John had a lot to be offended of when ‘tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word’ receiving Word: tell John ‘those held captive in prison are set Free.’ Had to be a hard saying to receive ‘John those held captive in prison are set Free’

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Was Jesus speaking symbolically in John chapter 6:63? If so, why did the disciples stop following Jesus?

Some say this verse confirms that Jesus was speaking symbolically with regard to the Bread of Life Discourse in John chapter 6. Does this verse confirm that Jesus in fact was speaking symbolically?
John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

As taught so by Jesus in the verse itself, His words spoken in verse 63 are spirit. In fact He continues to teach that they are life. So, Jesus was speaking spiritually more than symbolically.

Verse 63: “It is the spirit that gives life, while “the” flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”
  • What are the words he just spoke? Several times Jesus spoke, eat my flesh (7) and drink my blood (3) to obtain eternal life.
  • What does “no avail” mean? It means “no help or benefit.”
  • Did Jesus say “my” flesh is of no avail? No, he said “the” flesh is of no avail.
  • Is Jesus’ flesh of no avail? No!
  • The Lord is perfect and sinless. His flesh is holy and pure. His flesh and spirit rose from the dead. Was his flesh on the cross of no help or benefit? Jesus is referring to “our” sinful flesh. The Lord is saying, it is no help or benefit to feed “our” flesh that dies and withers away. “His” resurrected flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul), which gives life.
  • Consuming his flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul) which gives life, not our sinful flesh which is of no avail. We transform into the Body of Christ by spiritually being fed, so we too rise from the dead.
https://truthcampaign.org/truth-campaign-2/
John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

The Lord is saying that His words are spirit and that they are life. It's not His material flesh and blood really is the matter, but His words. His words is what He refers to as the food which endures to everlasting life. And that is the food man should be seeking for and labor for to feed on.

John 6:27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

The flesh profits nothing. With that Jesus was saying that they should be laboring to feed their spirit more than their flesh. This matter of food brings to mind what is written said in the following passage:

Deut. 8:3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.

Tong
R1175

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus speaking symbolically in John chapter 6:63? If so, why did the disciples stop following Jesus?

Some say this verse confirms that Jesus was speaking symbolically with regard to the Bread of Life Discourse in John chapter 6. Does this verse confirm that Jesus in fact was speaking symbolically?

Verse 63: “It is the spirit that gives life, while “the” flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”

• What are the words he just spoke? Several times Jesus spoke, eat my flesh (7) and drink my blood (3) to obtain eternal life.
  • What does “no avail” mean? It means “no help or benefit.”
  • Did Jesus say “my” flesh is of no avail? No, he said “the” flesh is of no avail.
  • Is Jesus’ flesh of no avail? No!
  • The Lord is perfect and sinless. His flesh is holy and pure. His flesh and spirit rose from the dead. Was his flesh on the cross of no help or benefit? Jesus is referring to “our” sinful flesh. The Lord is saying, it is no help or benefit to feed “our” flesh that dies and withers away. “His” resurrected flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul), which gives life.
  • Consuming his flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul) which gives life, not our sinful flesh which is of no avail. We transform into the Body of Christ by spiritually being fed, so we too rise from the dead.
https://truthcampaign.org/truth-campaign-2/

You ask: "Was Jesus speaking symbolically in John chapter 6:63? If so, why did the disciples stop following Jesus?"

When Jesus had the first "communion" with his disciples, the scriptures do not tell us that Jesus literally pulled pieces of flesh off of himself. Instead, He broke the bread that symbolized how His body would be broken on the cross. He did not literally bleed into the cup, but He poured out wine, which symbolized His blood that was about to shed on the cross.

Even though Jesus proclaimed, "this is my body" and "this is my blood," He offered His disciples literal bread and wine to show symbolically what He was about to do literally. His flesh was literally about to be torn by the whip and the nails. His blood was literally about to be poured out ON THE CROSS! And the cross is necessary for our salvation because "without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness" (Heb 9:22). (Please note that Jesus spoke symbolically at other times as well. For instance, in John 10:7, Jesus said, "I am the door of the sheep.")

Hebrews 9 and 10 explain that Jesus Christ became the Sacrificial Lamb who shed His blood "once and for all".... And from the cross, Jesus proclaimed, "IT IS FINISHED!"

So...the first "communion" did not involve literal flesh and blood. If it had, no doubt, Jesus' disciples would have complained that they were made to eat something that tasted so bad! It's a fact that if you swallow much blood, you vomit it up because the stomach cannot take much blood in it. When I've thought about the Catholic concept of Transubtantiation, the idea that the wafer and wine literally become the body and blood of Jesus Christ, I have wondered why people don't complain of the taste of human flesh and blood. I've never eaten human flesh, but I have tasted blood, and it doesn't taste good in the least, and I can verify that it does upset the stomach.

The truth is that Jesus shed his blood "once and for all" ON THE CROSS. We take communion to remember what He did for us (looking back at the cross)--how He opened the "new and living way" into the presence of God, not with the blood of animals, but with His own blood!

Hebrews 9:1-28--Now the first covenant also had regulations for ministry and an earthly sanctuary. For a tabernacle was set up, and in the first room, which is called the holy place, were the lampstand, the table, and the presentation loaves. Behind the second curtain, the tabernacle was called the most holy place. It contained the gold altar of incense and the ark of the covenant, covered with gold on all sides, in which there was a gold jar containing the manna, Aaron’s staff that budded, and the tablets of the covenant. The cherubim of glory were above it overshadowing the mercy seat. It is not possible to speak about these things in detail right now.

With these things set up this way, the priests enter the first room repeatedly, performing their ministry. But the high priest alone enters the second room, and he does that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offers for himself and for the sins of the people committed in ignorance. The Holy Spirit was making it clear that the way into the most holy place had not yet been disclosed while the first tabernacle was still standing. This is a symbol for the present time, during which gifts and sacrifices are offered that cannot perfect the worshiper’s conscience. They are physical regulations and only deal with food, drink, and various washings imposed until the time of restoration.

Now the first covenant also had regulations for ministry and an earthly sanctuary. For a tabernacle was set up, and in the first room, which is called the holy place, were the lampstand, the table, and the presentation loaves. Behind the second curtain, the tabernacle was called the most holy place. It contained the gold altar of incense and the ark of the covenant, covered with gold on all sides, in which there was a gold jar containing the manna, Aaron’s staff that budded, and the tablets of the covenant. The cherubim of glory were above it overshadowing the mercy seat. It is not possible to speak about these things in detail right now.

With these things set up this way, the priests enter the first room repeatedly, performing their ministry. But the high priest alone enters the second room, and he does that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offers for himself and for the sins of the people committed in ignorance. The Holy Spirit was making it clear that the way into the most holy place had not yet been disclosed while the first tabernacle was still standing. This is a symbol for the present time, during which gifts and sacrifices are offered that cannot perfect the worshiper’s conscience. They are physical regulations and only deal with food, drink, and various washings imposed until the time of restoration.

Hebrews 10:1-25--Since the law has only a shadow of the good things to come, and not the actual form of those realities, it can never perfect the worshipers by the same sacrifices they continually offer year after year. Otherwise, wouldn’t they have stopped being offered, since the worshipers, once purified, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? But in the sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

Therefore, as He was coming into the world, He said:
You did not want sacrifice and offering,
but You prepared a body for Me.
You did not delight
in whole burnt offerings and sin offerings.
Then I said, “See —
it is written about Me
in the volume of the scroll —
I have come to do Your will, God!”

After He says above, You did not want or delight in sacrifices and offerings, whole burnt offerings and sin offerings (which are offered according to the law), He then says, See, I have come to do Your will. He takes away the first to establish the second. By this will of God, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once and for all.

Every priest stands day after day ministering and offering the same sacrifices time after time, which can never take away sins. But this man, after offering one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God. He is now waiting until His enemies are made His footstool. For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are sanctified. The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. For after He says:

This is the covenant I will make with them after those days, says the Lord:
I will put My laws on their hearts
and write them on their minds,
He adds:
I will never again remember
their sins and their lawless acts.
Now where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.

Therefore, brothers, since we have boldness to enter the sanctuary through the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way He has opened for us through the curtain (that is, His flesh), and since we have a great high priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water. Let us hold on to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us be concerned about one another in order to promote love and good works, not staying away from our worship meetings, as some habitually do, but encouraging each other, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read the bible as a religious fait accompli. My thought is that most believers today would have abandoned Jesus also...given the far out spiritual teachings ...in the face of a very understandable set of laws.

So we are taught an interpretation of the truth that leaves out the controversial and difficult passages. And then we wonder why Jesus was seen as so scandalous in His day.

Very few believers will make it into the life that Jesus was preaching...kingdom life. Jesus Himself said it is very hard and few will find it. But many consider that as wrong...especially in their own regard. These have not understood the teachings of Jesus or the gospel but have accepted a human religious interpretation of it that declaws the truth so as to make it easy and palatable.

But today the state of unreality is so great that most will never know that they are actually NOT in sync with Jesus and His teachings...at all.
If we become Sole Scriptura, we can be in perfect truth.

Just gotta get rid of the commentaries and the pro's.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God Bless!

admittedly didn’t watch the video. heard chapter and verses were added later and not originally there... but have you noticed yet your header 666 Why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

not making too much of it but it does stand out as worthy of mentioning 666 of it falling on ‘many disciples withdrew and stopped following Jesus’

John 6:66 Lexicon: As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.

Withdrew:
Strong's Greek: 3694. ὀπίσω (opisó) -- back, behind, after

2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, [2] That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. [3] Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Reactions: Spurgeon's Girl

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read the bible as a religious fait accompli. My thought is that most believers today would have abandoned Jesus also...given the far out spiritual teachings ...in the face of a very understandable set of laws.

So we are taught an interpretation of the truth that leaves out the controversial and difficult passages. And then we wonder why Jesus was seen as so scandalous in His day.

Very few believers will make it into the life that Jesus was preaching...kingdom life. Jesus Himself said it is very hard and few will find it. But many consider that as wrong...especially in their own regard. These have not understood the teachings of Jesus or the gospel but have accepted a human religious interpretation of it that declaws the truth so as to make it easy and palatable.

But today the state of unreality is so great that most will never know that they are actually NOT in sync with Jesus and His teachings...at all.
We must also remember that after Pentecost the disciples filled with the Spirit never abandoned Him again, they were persecuted, beaten, suffered and died for Him.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 6 does not support the Roman Catholic false doctrine of transubstantiation.
Correct. The Mass is more than about transubstantiation. It is a rejection of the finished work of Christ, since Christ is re-sacrificed each time the Mass is performed. It is called a bloodless sacrifice, but (1) there is an altar, (2) there is a priest, and (3) there is a literal sacrificing of Christ. But the Bible says that Christ's sacrifice was "ONE sacrifice for sins for ever". Also the Mass has many other features which are unscriputural.

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen,

John 6 is a stumbling block to catholic and other Eucharistic churches.
Sadly, like these disciples it is what Jesus said, you can not see because you do not believe, and one of you is the devil

jesus spoke that way to weed out the true believers, not institute some pagan ritual that does not even give those who take what Jesus promised

it’s amazing

the jews ate manna, and are dead

Catholics eat the Eucharist for many years, and still die, and are not even assured eternal life, even though Jesus said whoever eats will never die

who is decieved?

You don't make sense. It's was from Jesus' mouth in John 6. Don't seek to be right, open your heart