John 6:66 - Why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Holy Spirit is not God?
The Holy Spirit is God.

Acts 5:3-4
But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? 4 While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because they did not believe

they came looking for a handout, that’s why Jesus told them not to look for physical food. Which will died but spiritual food which will endure forever.
Remember, as jews, they thought they were right with God, Why do they need to be saved when they are ok, they followed Jesus to be there when he defeated the Romans,

Did the disciples stop following Jesus because he did not give them more free bread?

Some say, the disciples left because Jesus would not provide more bread for their empty tummies.

This clearly does not make any biblical sense:

• Did the Jews murmur about not receiving more free bread in John 6:41-42? No!
  • Did angry augments break out over lack of free bread, in verse 52? No!
  • Did the Jews say in verse 52, “how can this man not give us “free bread” to eat?” No!
  • Did the disciples say, “this saying is hard, who can accept it,” because Jesus denied more free bread? (60) No!
  • Did Jesus ask the twelve if they were going to leave, due to lack of free bread? (67) No!

This clearly does not make any common sense:

• The disciples of Christ who “gave up everything, including families and possessions” to follow Jesus, left him because they did not receive more free bread?
  • When Jesus turned water into great tasting wine, did the disciples ever threaten to leave the Lord if more wine was not provided?
  • Jesus promised eternal life to his disciples if they believed and followed him. The disciples abandoned the promise of eternal life over BARLEY BREAD?
https://truthcampaign.org/804-2/

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen and amen

Was Jesus speaking symbolically in John chapter 6:63? If so, why did the disciples stop following Jesus?

Some say this verse confirms that Jesus was speaking symbolically with regard to the Bread of Life Discourse in John chapter 6. Does this verse confirm that Jesus in fact was speaking symbolically?

Verse 63: “It is the spirit that gives life, while “the” flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”

• What are the words he just spoke? Several times Jesus spoke, eat my flesh (7) and drink my blood (3) to obtain eternal life.
  • What does “no avail” mean? It means “no help or benefit.”
  • Did Jesus say “my” flesh is of no avail? No, he said “the” flesh is of no avail.
  • Is Jesus’ flesh of no avail? No!
  • The Lord is perfect and sinless. His flesh is holy and pure. His flesh and spirit rose from the dead. Was his flesh on the cross of no help or benefit? Jesus is referring to “our” sinful flesh. The Lord is saying, it is no help or benefit to feed “our” flesh that dies and withers away. “His” resurrected flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul), which gives life.
  • Consuming his flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul) which gives life, not our sinful flesh which is of no avail. We transform into the Body of Christ by spiritually being fed, so we too rise from the dead.
https://truthcampaign.org/truth-campaign-2/

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says why they stopped following. They did not believe in Jesus.

John 6:60,63-64
60On hearing it, many of His disciples said, “This is a difficult teaching. Who can accept it?”
The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe.

On the other hand, the Twelve (minus one) did believe and stayed.

John 6:67,69
67So Jesus asked the Twelve, “Do you want to leave too?”
69We believe and know that You are the Holy One of God.

Too many people have ruined Christianity by making the Bible say more than what it says. And honestly, I'm pretty sick of it. We have to read the Bible for ourselves so we don't get polluted by all the stupid teachings in the church today.

Again, another misinterpretation

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! In John 6:66, we see that many of Jesus' disciples went back and walked with Him no more, because they were offended by the words of Jesus in regards to eating His flesh and drinking His blood, that they mistakingly understood as literally eating flesh and literally drinking blood. We should not be surprised and as Jesus said in verse 64 - But there are some of you who do not believe. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. Now Jesus was not talking about literal cannibalism here, but the reception of God’s grace by believing in Christ, as He makes clear by repeating the same truths metaphorically and in plain language:

John 6:40 - Everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:54 - Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:47 - Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.
John 6:58 - He who eats this bread will live forever.

"He who believes" is equivalent to "he who eats this bread and drinks My blood" because the end result is the same, receiving eternal life.

John 6 does not support the Roman Catholic false doctrine of transubstantiation. Jesus is the Bread of Life; we eat of Him and are satisfied when we believe in Him unto salvation. Bread represents the "staff of life." Sustenance. That which essential to sustain life. Just as bread or sustenance is necessary to maintain physical life, Jesus is all the sustenance necessary for spiritual life. The source of physical life is blood -- "life is in the blood." As with the bread, just as blood is the empowering or source of life physically, Jesus is all the source of spiritual life necessary.

Is the Bread of Life Discourse in John chapter 6 a symbolic teaching, where eating his flesh and drinking his blood means to “spiritually believe?” If so, why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

• Why did angry arguments breakout if it’s just symbolic food and drink? John 6:52
  • Why did the Jews take Jesus’ words literally and say, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 52
  • Why did Jesus then give an “ultimatum” after the disciples argued over his teaching? “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.” 53
  • Why did Jesus say, “whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.” 54
  • Why did Jesus say his flesh is “true” food and his blood is “true” drink? 55
  • Why did Jesus say, “whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him?” 56
  • Why did Jesus say, “just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me?” 57
  • Why did the disciples say, “this saying is hard, who can accept it,” if it’s just symbolic food and drink? 60
  • Why did Jesus say, “does this shock (offend) you,” if it’s just symbolic food and drink? 61
  • Why did many of his disciples return to their former way of living and no longer accompany him? 66
  • If just symbolic food and drink, why did Jesus ask if the twelve apostles were going to leave too? 67
  • Truthfully, does any of this sound symbolic?
  • Why would the greatest teacher ever to walk the earth allow his very own disciples to leave him based on a spiritual symbolic teaching?
https://truthcampaign.org/48-2/

What is the definition of believe?: https://truthcampaign.org/967-2/

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the disciples stop following Jesus because he did not give them more free bread?

Some say, the disciples left because Jesus would not provide more bread for their empty tummies.

This clearly does not make any biblical sense:

• Did the Jews murmur about not receiving more free bread in John 6:41-42? No!
  • Did angry augments break out over lack of free bread, in verse 52? No!
  • Did the Jews say in verse 52, “how can this man not give us “free bread” to eat?” No!
  • Did the disciples say, “this saying is hard, who can accept it,” because Jesus denied more free bread? (60) No!
  • Did Jesus ask the twelve if they were going to leave, due to lack of free bread? (67) No!
This clearly does not make any common sense:

• The disciples of Christ who “gave up everything, including families and possessions” to follow Jesus, left him because they did not receive more free bread?
  • When Jesus turned water into great tasting wine, did the disciples ever threaten to leave the Lord if more wine was not provided?
  • Jesus promised eternal life to his disciples if they believed and followed him. The disciples abandoned the promise of eternal life over BARLEY BREAD?
https://truthcampaign.org/804-2/
Since when does “not believe” = Jesus did not give food

you have a comprehension issue

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is it right here. There are a number of ways the typical Jew could have interpreted the saying, but none of them would have been comfortable in the least. Our new member seems to think the twelve somehow knew exactly what He meant, but the text doesn't bear that out in the least. Peter didn't say, "Obviously they're not as wise as we are, Lord. If they were, they'd know you were going to be a wafer." The text reads:

67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, "Will you go away also?" 68 Then Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 And we believe and are sure that you are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

In other words, "Lord, we don't have the foggiest idea what you mean either (Lol), but where else are we going to go, seeing as we believe you are the Messiah?"

I'm not sure what any of us are doing answering our guest, however, since he made it clear to me in his post that our interpretations are of no account anyway. I don't think most of the posters have caught up with that statement yet, but it means he doesn't care what anyone thinks, and he's just playing this community and goading them into responding. The only smart move at that point is to ignore him altogether, though I'm guessing not all are savvy enough to realize it.
Yes, initially there was something rather peculiar about his approach, that should've raised an eyebrow from anyone who bothered to peruse his website. But, once there, yes, the cracks began to become much more evident. And, if still necessary, his exegesis on John 6 incontrovertibly unveiled his radical and incompetent perspective on Christian Theology.
But, to be fair, this is nothing more than a Protestant (Zwingli) vs Catholic controversy. So there's a high probability that he perceives us as the infidels.
Thus, he is entitled to his opinion. But, I for one, will try to keep a mental red-flag on him.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus speaking symbolically in John chapter 6:63? If so, why did the disciples stop following Jesus?

Some say this verse confirms that Jesus was speaking symbolically with regard to the Bread of Life Discourse in John chapter 6. Does this verse confirm that Jesus in fact was speaking symbolically?

Verse 63: “It is the spirit that gives life, while “the” flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”

• What are the words he just spoke? Several times Jesus spoke, eat my flesh (7) and drink my blood (3) to obtain eternal life.
  • What does “no avail” mean? It means “no help or benefit.”
  • Did Jesus say “my” flesh is of no avail? No, he said “the” flesh is of no avail.
  • Is Jesus’ flesh of no avail? No!
  • The Lord is perfect and sinless. His flesh is holy and pure. His flesh and spirit rose from the dead. Was his flesh on the cross of no help or benefit? Jesus is referring to “our” sinful flesh. The Lord is saying, it is no help or benefit to feed “our” flesh that dies and withers away. “His” resurrected flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul), which gives life.
  • Consuming his flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul) which gives life, not our sinful flesh which is of no avail. We transform into the Body of Christ by spiritually being fed, so we too rise from the dead.
You ignored half of what Jesus said, and what I posted and you expect me to answer you? try again,

and no I will not go to your web page. Would be a waste of time

Reactions: mailmandan

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since when does “not believe” = Jesus did not give food

you have a comprehension issue

I think he comprehends quite a bit, Grateful. Despite not giving the slightest care about what members in this community think or believe, He is playing a number of people here just so he can get hits and promotion for his utterly uninformative website, while he trolls everyone to give attention to Catholicism. If you'll notice, every post contains a link to his site.

I think he knows exactly what he is doing, LoL. The problem is, not many others seem to yet : )

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he comprehends quite a bit, Grateful. Despite not giving the slightest care about what members in this community think or believe, He is playing a number of people here just so he can get hits and promotion for his utterly uninformative website, while he trolls everyone to give attention to Catholicism. If you'll notice, ever post contains a link to his site.

I think he knows exactly what he is doing, LoL. The problem is, not many others seem to yet : )
Is it not against the rules to promote your site or any site? It is in most chat rooms I have ever been I

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he comprehends quite a bit, Grateful. Despite not giving the slightest care about what members in this community think or believe, He is playing a number of people here just so he can get hits and promotion for his utterly uninformative website, while he trolls everyone to give attention to Catholicism. If you'll notice, ever post contains a link to his site.

Its why I would never click on it as the posts speak for themselves.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, to be fair, this is nothing more than a Protestant (Zwingli) vs Catholic controversy. So there's a high probability that he perceives us as the infidels.

I'm sure he does. His first response to me was to inform me I was going to Hell. He went back and modified it to "not going to Heaven," but that's just putting a pretty face on it.

Tell you the truth, if Catholicism were the truth it would be guys like him who would be making sure I go to Hell, because I am now beginning to despise Catholicism. I used to like engaging with members like OzSpen because he was intelligent and informative, and his replies were educated responses that showed he was taking into consideration what I posted. People like Oz make me curious about what Catholics believe.

This guy is staring to make me detest Catholicism, to where I really couldn't give a rip.