John 6:66 - Why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You ignored half of what Jesus said, try again,

and no I will not go to your web page. Would be a waste of time

Please explain?

Also, right after Jesus said seven times to eat his flesh he then renounces what he just said and says "His" flesh is on no avail. Just joking... don't eat my flesh..

Nope he said "the" flesh, not his my friend.

The Lord is perfect and sinless. His flesh is holy and pure. His flesh and spirit rose from the dead. Was his flesh on the cross of no help or benefit? Jesus is referring to “our” sinful flesh. The Lord is saying, it is no help or benefit to feed “our” flesh that dies and withers away. “His” resurrected flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul), which gives life.

The whole point my website is, why did the disciples leave? Can you explain why the left with your self interpretation? Thanks

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain?

Also, right after Jesus said seven times to eat his flesh he then renounces what he just said and says "His" flesh is on no avail. Just joking... don't eat my flesh..

The Lord is perfect and sinless. His flesh is holy and pure. His flesh and spirit rose from the dead. Was his flesh on the cross of no help or benefit? Jesus is referring to “our” sinful flesh. The Lord is saying, it is no help or benefit to feed “our” flesh that dies and withers away. “His” resurrected flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul), which gives life.

The whole point my website is, why did the disciples leave? Can you explain why the left with your self interpretation? Thanks
I will say it again His teachings were to hard on being a disciple. They didn't count the cost.

Basic Discipleship 101.

Reactions: Spurgeon's Girl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope it is, he will not be here long

It gets old eventually. Personally, I think Behold is partly to blame for this. He created thread after thread antagonizing the daylights out of Catholic beliefs like he had nothing else to do all day, and some of them are still going today because it brings the Catholic defenders out of the woodwork by necessity. So then people like this guy and "Thee Faith" show upon and post an additional 20 threads antagonizing Protestants, and the next thing you know the site is nothing but Catholic Vs. Non-Catholic debating, as if the world needs another forum like that.

So yes, he will eventually wear out his welcome just like Behold apparently did for starting all this mess in the first place. It's a lesson in why one is wise to abide by 2 Timothy 2:23, lest you end up having your online community turn into something of a moral and theological sewer for awhile, LoL.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful
Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I debate in love and as we all know, love can hurt at times. I pray that everyone will make it to heaven. It's great that you'll are searching. Much love...

Even to you Eternally Grateful :)

God Bless

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP^

Concerning Gentiles:
Impatient- Heard and Saw, but could not believe without understanding.
(Same which many seek today- but do not how to receive understanding...
thus seek the convoluted philosophies of men.)

Concerning Jews:
Romans 11:
[25] For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

How ^ that was effectively accomplished;

Gentile's having taken over the churches, did not approve of Jewish ways, customs, Sabbath Day, etc. and put a stop to Jewish attendees customs being connected to the church.

Jews not associated with the churches, gave Jews a backlash who were associated with the church.

Effectively Jews were more readily accepted...among other Jews...and accepted by Gentiles to be divided away from the church...
Thus - Jews in Faithfulness to God, returned to their Synagogs...and primarily how it stands to this day.

The signs of the times, is revealing, the Fullness of the Gentiles, is close to being accomplished...
Then shall the Jews / all Tribes of Israel, have their Fullness coming in to Christ their Lord Jesus Messiah.

Glory to God,
Taken

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I debate in love and as we all know, love can hurt at times. I pray that everyone will make it to heaven. It's great that you'll are searching. Much love...

Even to you Eternally Grateful :)

God Bless

29 posts and 3 likes means you are disliked, and not for what you believe but for the person you are. I have Catholics on my friends list. You are not one of them.

And here comes Taken. He will play in this moral sewer with you from now until the Lord returns, so I'm sure you will both have fun until they have no choice but to shut down this thread and ban you for a year for adding nothing of value to this community.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain?

Jesus said many things. Most you ignor

again Jesus said why they left

they did not believe

end of discussion

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
29 posts and 3 likes means you disliked, and not for what you believe but for the person you are. I have Catholics on my friends list. You are not one of them.

And here comes Taken. He will play in this moral sewer with you from now until the Lord returns, so I'm sure you will both have fun until they have no choice but to shut down this thread and ban you for a year for adding nothing of value to this community.

The truth hurts sometimes

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The interpretation is from the Church that's 2000 years old and started by Jesus. Jesus started a Church and Church through the Holy Spirit created the Bible 300 plus years after His death.

Where do you get your interpretation from my friend??
What interpretation? I just read it and leave it at that. Nothing there about a mystical change of the elements into the body of Christ. NOTHING.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're telling me the actual words of the passage is a misinterpretation. Stop pushing this garbage doctrine. Just read the passage and leave it at that. Stop adding to the word of God. There is NOTHING there about the elements changing into the actual flesh and blood of Christ. NOTHING. Your 'church' invented that. A church that says it can write (new) doctrine because it thinks it has more authority than Jesus. The Catholic church is a joke.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the Bread of Life Discourse in John chapter 6 a symbolic teaching, where eating his flesh and drinking his blood means to “spiritually believe?” If so, why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

• Why did angry arguments breakout if it’s just symbolic food and drink? John 6:52
  • Why did the Jews take Jesus’ words literally and say, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 52
  • Why did Jesus then give an “ultimatum” after the disciples argued over his teaching? “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.” 53
  • Why did Jesus say, “whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.” 54
  • Why did Jesus say his flesh is “true” food and his blood is “true” drink? 55
  • Why did Jesus say, “whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him?” 56
  • Why did Jesus say, “just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me?” 57
  • Why did the disciples say, “this saying is hard, who can accept it,” if it’s just symbolic food and drink? 60
  • Why did Jesus say, “does this shock (offend) you,” if it’s just symbolic food and drink? 61
  • Why did many of his disciples return to their former way of living and no longer accompany him? 66
  • If just symbolic food and drink, why did Jesus ask if the twelve apostles were going to leave too? 67
  • Truthfully, does any of this sound symbolic?
  • Why would the greatest teacher ever to walk the earth allow his very own disciples to leave him based on a spiritual symbolic teaching?
https://truthcampaign.org/48-2/

What is the definition of believe?: https://truthcampaign.org/967-2/
You can't even see the stupidity of your own argument. You're literally saying the one's who supposedly correctly understood Jesus to be talking about eating and drinking his actual body are the one's who left.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't even see the stupidity of your own argument. You're literally saying the one's who supposedly correctly understood Jesus to be talking about eating and drinking his actual body are the one's who left.
Yet those who stayed, like peter understood they stayed because Jesus had the words of life eternal. Not because he had flesh to eat

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm sure he does. His first response to me was to inform me I was going to Hell. He went back and modified it to "not going to Heaven," but that's just putting a pretty face on it.

Tell you the truth, if Catholicism were the truth it would be guys like him who would be making sure I go to Hell, because I am now beginning to despise Catholicism. I used to like engaging with members like OzSpen because he was intelligent and informative, and his replies were educated responses that showed he was taking into consideration what I posted. People like Oz make me curious about what Catholics believe.

This guy is staring to make me detest Catholicism, to where I really couldn't give a rip.
Holy smokes HIH, maybe I haven't been reading enough of your posts, but I've never, ever, heard you speak so vehemently and disdainfully before, that is, it's indicatively the opposite (at least what I've seen)?
Now, I get it, a few too many radicals and one's patience will quickly deteriorate into contempt. I agree, I believe Catholicism is an anti-christ development. But, not all the adherents are to blame, nor are as unsound and verging on offensive (like Ozpen), I believe. Some are extremely astute, disciplined and reasonable, but I do still feel that they are indoctrinated. For their does come a point where one just really has to stop and consider their Mariology, Transubstantiation, Original Sin, Vicar of Christ, intercession of the saints, indulgences, ex-cathedra, the merit of tradition, inquisition, the wealth, etc... I do believe that it's the devil's denomination (amongst others).
If I may HIH, try not to let a few bad apples undermine your composure or distort your view on many of the tolerable ones?

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure he does. His first response to me was to inform me I was going to Hell. He went back and modified it to "not going to Heaven," but that's just putting a pretty face on it.

Tell you the truth, if Catholicism were the truth it would be guys like him who would be making sure I go to Hell, because I am now beginning to despise Catholicism. I used to like engaging with members like OzSpen because he was intelligent and informative, and his replies were educated responses that showed he was taking into consideration what I posted. People like Oz make me curious about what Catholics believe.

This guy is staring to make me detest Catholicism, to where I really couldn't give a rip.
The brainwashing is what makes me hate, it’s not the people, I love them, but sometimes they do make you want to scream

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
@Truthcampaign.org

Because it has not been granted to them by the Father. They were not given by the Father to Son for salvation.

Tong
R1174
@Truthcampaign.org

Because it has not been granted to them by the Father. They were not given by the Father to Son for salvation.

Do you deny this in John 6?
Do you see this in John 6?

Care to respond....

Tong
R1176

Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told them why

They did not believe (in him)

they were looking for free food, a handout, not the truth.

pits amazing how you skip half the passage yet yell at those who have actually studied the passage as if they are clueless

I've already showed you that you're theory is wrong, link below. It makes NO sense.

I've come to the conclusion that you and many on this site would rather die believing your theories instead of opening your hearts to the truth. That's the definition of a fake christian.

https://truthcampaign.org/804-2/

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
It says why they stopped following. They did not believe in Jesus.

John 6:60,63-64
60On hearing it, many of His disciples said, “This is a difficult teaching. Who can accept it?”
The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe.

On the other hand, the Twelve (minus one) did believe and stayed.

John 6:67,69
67So Jesus asked the Twelve, “Do you want to leave too?”
69We believe and know that You are the Holy One of God.

Too many people have ruined Christianity by making the Bible say more than what it says. And honestly, I'm pretty sick of it. We have to read the Bible for ourselves so we don't get polluted by all the stupid teachings in the church today.
The ultimate reason really is because it has not been granted to them by the Father. They were not given by the Father to Son for salvation.

In the case of the 12 disciples, Judas included, they did not do as the many who went away, despite the obvious that they too could not understand at the time, the hard saying of Jesus in John 6. Why did they not go away? Because they were chosen. All, except Judas were chosen for salvation. Judas, the son of perdition, was chosen, but unlike the 11 who were chosen for salvation and service, his election was so that scriptures might be fulfilled.

Tong
R1178

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We read the bible as a religious fait accompli. My thought is that most believers today would have abandoned Jesus also...given the far out spiritual teachings ...in the face of a very understandable set of laws.

So we are taught an interpretation of the truth that leaves out the controversial and difficult passages. And then we wonder why Jesus was seen as so scandalous in His day.

Very few believers will make it into the life that Jesus was preaching...kingdom life. Jesus Himself said it is very hard and few will find it. But many consider that as wrong...especially in their own regard. These have not understood the teachings of Jesus or the gospel but have accepted a human religious interpretation of it that declaws the truth so as to make it easy and palatable.

But today the state of unreality is so great that most will never know that they are actually NOT in sync with Jesus and His teachings...at all.
I wish you were wrong but I know you are right. Blessings.

Reactions: Episkopos