John 6:66 - Why did many disciples stop following Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hello.

You asked what else happens when receiving communion besides 'proclaiming His death till He comes'..

The intimate union of the Groom and His bride!

Peace!
Where is that said in scriptures that that happens in breaking bread and eating supper in remembrance of the last supper that Jesus had with His disciples?

Tong
R1184

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tong2020 said:
To me, I would not say that the calling and choosing came later, but that that could be because the time that one who are among the chosen of God actually believe, belongs to God.

Ephesians 1:4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth,

Consider what the passages above says about the time of election by God. That does not at all say it is in any later time than "from before the foundation of the world" and "from the beginning". So, if there were those among the chosen people, who did not come to believe in Jesus Christ before His death on the cross, but believed much after it, it does not mean that their election was made by God only after the cross and not before. It does not mean that they were not elected before the cross and were elected only after. To me, in consideration of the passages I cited above, it only means that, those who are among those chosen by God for salvation, will at some point in their life, come to believe in Jesus Christ. And as to when is that point in time in their life, that belongs to God and would happen in God's time.

Tong
R1182
I think we talked about this before. Just as Christ was slain from the foundation of the world, it wasn't until a set moment in history that he was actually slain on the cross. So it is with the elect. God in his foreknowledge knew from the beginning of time that they would be among the elect but it wasn't until a moment somewhere in human history that they believed and were actually chosen.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where is that said in scriptures that that happens in breaking bread and eating supper in remembrance of the last supper that Jesus had with His disciples?

Tong
R1184

You mean in addition to the verse I gave you about the two becoming one flesh?

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

Peace!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we talked about this before. Just as Christ was slain from the foundation of the world, it wasn't until a set moment in history that he was actually slain on the cross. So it is with the elect. God in his foreknowledge knew from the beginning of time that they would be among the elect but it wasn't until a moment somewhere in human history that they believed and were actually chosen.
Ephesians 1:4 say believers were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world. Do you agree ?

and here as well :

2 Thessalonians 2:13 because God has chosen you from the beginning to be saved by the sanctification of the Spirit and by faith in the truth.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
<<<God in his foreknowledge knew from the beginning of time that they would be among the elect but it wasn't until a moment somewhere in human history that they believed and were actually chosen.>>>

Please cite scriptures where election was based on the foreknowledge of God of one's believing in the future, that is, that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe. I find that nowhere in scriptures. So where is that coming from?

Tong
R1185

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
You mean in addition to the verse I gave you about the two becoming one flesh?

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

Peace!
This was the verse you cited.

Ephesians 5:31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Please point where in that verse does it say or even say in effect that the wedding feast of the Lamb of God happens in breaking bread and eating supper in remembrance of the last supper that Jesus had with His disciples.

And the scriptures you gave in this post:

1 Cor. 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread.

Please point where in that verse does it say or even say in effect that the wedding feast of the Lamb of God happens in breaking bread and eating supper in remembrance of the last supper that Jesus had with His disciples?

Tong
R1186

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as Christ was slain from the foundation of the world

from the foundation of the world ...slain from the foundation of what world or age? Hebrews 12:23-24 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, [24] And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Tecarta Bible

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<<<God in his foreknowledge knew from the beginning of time that they would be among the elect....>>>

Please cite scriptures where election was based on the foreknowledge of God of one's believing in the future, that is, that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe. I find that nowhere in scriptures. So where is that coming from?

‘the foreknowledge of God of one's believing in the future, that is, that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe’

has He not said ahead John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. [6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Ezekiel 18:31-32 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? [32] For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God : wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

does God have foreknowledge the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God, neither can he know them ...and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
‘the foreknowledge of God of one's believing in the future, that is, that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe’

has He not said ahead John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. [6] That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. [7] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

does God have foreknowledge the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God, neither can he know them ...and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
:confused: ????

My statements that you quoted and were responding to: Please cite scriptures where election was based on the foreknowledge of God of one's believing in the future, that is, that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe. I find that nowhere in scriptures. So where is that coming from?

Tong
R1188

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:confused: ????

My statements that you quoted and were responding to: Please cite scriptures where election was based on the foreknowledge of God of one's believing in the future, that is, that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe. I find that nowhere in scriptures. So where is that coming from?

Tong
R1188

yeah I’m :confused: also. He said He would put His Spirit in them(and walk in them): not the spirit the world gives, a spirit of fear again unto bondage.

But His Spirit He gives: the Spirit of power, love, and of a sound mind. Was trying to point out does God not have foreknowledge in declaring the former things and ‘New things I declare before they spring forth’, telling the end from the beginning. does God not have foreknowledge the mind of man tossed to and fro by the waves can not believe but will evidently sink, not able to stand ‘bearing all things, hope all things, believe all things, endure all things’ ...does God not have foreknowledge of ‘the Mind of Christ’?? Which He gives? Not as the world gives but God?

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
yeah I’m :confused: also. He said He would put His Spirit in them(and walk in them): not the spirit the world gives, a spirit of fear again unto bondage.

But His Spirit He gives: the Spirit of power, love, and of a sound mind. Was trying to point out does God not have foreknowledge in declaring the former things and ‘New things I declare before they spring forth’, telling the end from the beginning. does God not have foreknowledge the mind of man tossed to and fro by the waves can not believe but will evidently sink, not able to stand ‘bearing all things, hope all things, believe all things, endure all things’ ...does God not have foreknowledge of ‘the Mind of Christ’?? Which He gives? Not as the world gives but God?
Still no scriptures that say or effectively say that the election of God of people for salvation was based on the foreknowledge of one's believing in the future, that is, that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe.

Anyway, the matter that God have foreknowledge is not an issue. For the omniscience of God is taught in scriptures.

Tong
R1189

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still no scriptures that say or effectively say that the election of God of people for salvation was based on the foreknowledge of one's believing in the future, that is, that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe.

Anyway, the matter that God have foreknowledge is not an issue. For the omniscience of God is taught in scriptures.

Tong
R1189

wadr a matter of opinion. Whether you agree or not, whether right or wrong only contributing ‘that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe.’

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1 Corinthians 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Only saying or asking does God have foreknowledge of the Mind of Christ unto renewal and Life out from death? Not asking about election as a certain group of people but instead asking is it not by His Spirit transformation happens and not by flesh least any man boast? After the inward man ‘chosen’

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Sep 12, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

As taught so by Jesus in the verse itself, His words spoken in verse 63 are spirit. In fact He continues to teach that they are life. So, Jesus was speaking spiritually more than symbolically.

John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

The Lord is saying that His words are spirit and that they are life. It's not His material flesh and blood really is the matter, but His words. His words is what He refers to as the food which endures to everlasting life. And that is the food man should be seeking for and labor for to feed on.

John 6:27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

The flesh profits nothing. With that Jesus was saying that they should be laboring to feed their spirit more than their flesh. This matter of food brings to mind what is written said in the following passage:

Deut. 8:3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.

Tong
R1175

So right after Jesus said seven times to eat his flesh he then renounces what he just said and says "His" flesh is on no avail. Just joking... don't eat my flesh..

Nope he said "the" flesh, not his my friend.

The Lord is perfect and sinless. His flesh is holy and pure. His flesh and spirit rose from the dead. Was his flesh on the cross of no help or benefit? Jesus is referring to “our” sinful flesh. The Lord is saying, it is no help or benefit to feed “our” flesh that dies and withers away. “His” resurrected flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul), which gives life.

God Bless!

https://truthcampaign.org/truth-campaign-2/

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
wadr a matter of opinion. Whether you agree or not, whether right or wrong only contributing ‘that they were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe.’

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1 Corinthians 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Only saying or asking does God have foreknowledge of the Mind of Christ unto renewal and Life out from death? Not asking about election as a certain group of people but instead asking has God not already said it is by His Spirit transformation happens and not by flesh least any man boast?
WADR, giving an opinion is not an issue with me. However, any opinion could be questioned as to whether it is in keeping with the truth in scriptures or not. And for sure, I will be agreeing to those which are taught by scriptures and disagree to those which do not.

And the opinion that those chosen by God for salvation were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe, I find to be not taught in scriptures, unless there are scriptures to show. So, I asked that such scriptures be cited that I may consider them.

I have considered the verses you cited. However there is nothing in there that say or effectively say that those chosen by God for salvation were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe.

<<<Only saying or asking does God have foreknowledge of the Mind of Christ unto renewal and Life out from death? >>>
Can you rephrase that? I am sorry, but I can't follow. But here's a simple comment, God is omniscient. So, there is nothing that you may ask concerning foreknowledge of God about something that He have no knowledge of.

<<<Not asking about election as a certain group of people but instead asking has God not already said it is by His Spirit transformation happens and not by flesh least any man boast?>>>
Yes.

Tong
R1190

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So right after Jesus said seven times to eat his flesh he then renounces what he just said and says "His" flesh is on no avail. Just joking... don't eat my flesh..

Nope he said "the" flesh, not his my friend.

The Lord is perfect and sinless. His flesh is holy and pure. His flesh and spirit rose from the dead. Was his flesh on the cross of no help or benefit?
ha well Esau sure seemed to think it was necessary, huh?
No son of man may die for another's sins; the life/soul that sins, dies
Jesus is referring to “our” sinful flesh. The Lord is saying, it is no help or benefit to feed “our” flesh that dies and withers away. “His” resurrected flesh and blood feeds our spirit (soul), which gives life.

God Bless!

https://truthcampaign.org/truth-campaign-2/
yet He offered them grape juice and bread, and in reality referred to them i think,
"take, eat, this is my body..."

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WADR, giving an opinion is not an issue with me. However, any opinion could be questioned as to whether it is in keeping with the truth in scriptures or not. And for sure, I will be agreeing to those which are taught by scriptures and disagree to those which do not.

And the opinion that those chosen by God for salvation were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe, I find to be not taught in scriptures, unless there are scriptures to show. So, I asked that such scriptures be cited that I may consider them.

I have considered the verses you cited. However there is nothing in there that say or effectively say that those chosen by God for salvation were chosen based on God knowing ahead that they will believe.

<<<Only saying or asking does God have foreknowledge of the Mind of Christ unto renewal and Life out from death? >>>
Can you rephrase that? I am sorry, but I can't follow. But here's a simple comment, God is omniscient. So, there is nothing that you may ask concerning foreknowledge of God about something that He have no knowledge of.

<<<Not asking about election as a certain group of people but instead asking has God not already said it is by His Spirit transformation happens and not by flesh least any man boast?>>>
Yes.

Tong
R1190

only meant to say is it not through His Spirit. Even in 1 Corinthians 1:27-28 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; [28] And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

The above ‘chosen’ yeah?
1 Corinthians 1:29-31 That no flesh should glory in his presence. [30] But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: [31] That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.