Life is not a politcal campaign where we get elected.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nomad said:
No, I haven't forgotten. Let's try this again.
I really am not going to continually refute these verses if you won't listen or even read them.

Phil 1:29 is not convey SE, but it conveys the special call on the lives of those Philippians, not just to believe but to suffer for it and hold strong in it.
The rest are again just an effort to pull out of them what they do NOT say.

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Nomad said:
No, I haven't forgotten. Let's try this again.

I admire your grasp of Scripture Nomad; but cannot agree with your "Calvin" conviction.
Floyd.

[SIZE=28pt]Calvinist "Works" Teaching[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]There is a powerful teaching abounding in Christendom, that all of us are "PREDESTINED" to be in one destination or another after death; often loosely termed "heaven or hell". This is based on the teachings of various Groups since the Reformation, which has an approx. date of AD 1530. Some purists state that the exact date is AD 1505 and linked to England's Henry 8th with some justification. The result of Henry's resistance to Rome was the Church of England (C of E). Leaving aside the internal political struggle in England, by those trying to restore The Roman Church, many church leaders were not content that the C of E was sufficiently radical in its separation from Roman Church's Doctrines.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]As Rome had become increasingly corrupt, and had reached the stage of selling "pardons" before a sin had been committed, and "post-mortem absolution" for a price; and many other perversities, the re-examination of "Doctrines" was logical. Martin Luther had already started the ball rolling by his declaration of "justification by faith in the finished work of Christ Jesus", and had put his life in danger with his affirmation at the Imperial Diet of Worms. He was destined to be burned alive by the RCC, but for the intervention of a rich and powerful German Prince.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]For full text: Calvinist "Works" Teaching[/SIZE]

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
StanJ said:
Yes Arnie, but do you think that negates it's applicability to any believers or disciple of Christ? The Bible is an account of many things said to individuals people or persons, but it's universal message is not discounted because of that. Context is always important, as is it's universal application in most cases.
I've been reading the Bible for over 43 years Arnie.
I think one of the most harmful things (some) Christians have done is not reading carefully who Jesus is instructing and training

The Apostles were given unique powers , attributes , and mandates to spread the Gospel after Jesus left earth.

They had special attributes that were not promised to every believer and it is an error to imply it.

We are the recipients of the Apostles teachings , but we ourselves are not the Apostles.

To answer your question , yes , I do think from time to time some believers can and do the miraculous ,

But it is rare and random , as though the Lord himself authors it , it is not at our command , although our prayers may help

Occasionally I still run into Pentecostals who claim to be Apostles in the literal sense

I ask them to prove it by demonstration and they are unable.

If they stubbornly resist I suggest they take a rock hammer and rock chisel to the heavenly Jerusalem

There they will find the City of God has 12 foundations with the names of the 12 Apostles on them

I suggest they will have to modify it to 13 foundation stones and write their name on one

For what its worth I am Pentecostal

But I am not an Apostle and my name is not on the foundation of the New Jerusalem

I am a recipient of the Apostles teachings , and My name is written in the book of life.

Best wishes

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Arnie Manitoba said:
I think one of the most harmful things (some) Christians have done is not reading carefully who Jesus is instructing and training

The Apostles were given unique powers , attributes , and mandates to spread the Gospel after Jesus left earth.

They had special attributes that were not promised to every believer and it is an error to imply it.

We are the recipients of the Apostles teachings , but we ourselves are not the Apostles.

To answer your question , yes , I do think from time to time some believers can and do the miraculous ,

But it is rare and random , as though the Lord himself authors it , it is not at our command , although our prayers may help

Occasionally I still run into Pentecostals who claim to be Apostles in the literal sense

If they stubbornly resist I suggest they take a rock hammer and rock chisel to the heavenly Jerusalem

There they will find the City of God has 12 foundations with the names of the 12 Apostles on them

I suggest they will have to modify it to 13 foundation stones and write their name on one

But I am not an Apostle and my name is not on the foundation of the New Jerusalem

I am a recipient of the Apostles teachings , and My name is written in the book of life.

Best wishes

You're right about the unique and exclusive guild called the apostles. They were 12 in number, but then lost one when Judas betrayed Jesus and died, but then gained one when Saul of Tarsus was called. The qualification to be an apostle was very distinct. One had to be called to be an apostle by Jesus Christ himself, and not as an act of successorship. The eleven remaining were, and so was Saul turned Paul. But nobody since then and the apostolic age died with the apostles themselves. "Did I not choose you twelve"? Jesus asked, demonstrating a specific calling to these men to be the founders of the Church. And those men chose successors beginning with Matthias and so began the interminable chain of apostolic succession that continues to this day in the Catholic and Orthodox churches.

Conferring special titles upon oneself is the mark of a cult. Prophet, Apostle, these are what people call themselves to lead astray the people of God. The age of prophets is over, having been fulfilled in Jesus Christ himself so that He alone intercedes for us and we need no man to represent God to us or us to God. This fulfillment was alluded to in incontrovertible terms during the Transfiguration of Christ, and it was confirmed in the very first verses of Hebrews. For anyone to call themselves a prophet (gift of prophesy being a different subject altogether) shows an utter distain for the accomplishment of Christ on the cross in ushering in a New Covenant whereby prophets were no longer necessary.

So much error out there, so much eagerness for deception.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Arnie Manitoba said:

Best wishes
OK, had surgery on my hand today so won't make this long... I'm not talking about Apostolic Succession, just Sovereign Election. I agree with your take on that issue, however not with the applicability of what Jesus taught. Mark 16:17-18 is a statement of fact, and it still happens today.
This is also not a slam against any particular denom, as many Baptists don't accept RT either. BTW, I am also a Pentecostal believer, but I don't buy into many of the things that current Pentecostal denoms or independent churches do.
shturt678 said:
Thank you for your response!

Most difficult doctrine for us ICor.1:27s to understand, scholars haven't a chance. You understood enough as I was just typing along and could have made some errors. I'll go over it again.

Old Jack backtracking.
I don't have a particular problem with 1 Cor 1:27....God has always done this throughout scripture. "We are given this treasure in earthly vessels, so that the excellency of Jesus Christ may shine through."

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
StanJ said:
OK, had surgery on my hand today so won't make this long... I'm not talking about Apostolic Succession, just Sovereign Election. I agree with your take on that issue, however not with the applicability of what Jesus taught. Mark 16:17-18 is a statement of fact, and it still happens today.
This is also not a slam against any particular denom, as many Baptists don't accept RT either. BTW, I am also a Pentecostal believer, but I don't buy into many of the things that current Pentecostal denoms or independent churches do.

I don't have a particular problem with 1 Cor 1:27....God has always done this throughout scripture. "We are given this treasure in earthly vessels, so that the excellency of Jesus Christ may shine through."
Thank you again brother Stan!

I go under the knife tomorrow so they can wack another chunk of cancer off my back again - however more importantly agree to agree with you.

Old usually disagreeing Jack in need of a new body, or overhaul?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
shturt678 said:
Thank you again brother Stan!

I go under the knife tomorrow so they can wack another chunk of cancer off my back again - however more importantly agree to agree with you.

Old usually disagreeing Jack in need of a new body, or overhaul?
Will pray for you.