Matthew 28:19 and The Trinity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Matthew 28:19 and The Trinity

“Therefore go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”

“baptízontes autoús eis tó ónoma toú patrós kaí toú huioú kaí toú hagíou pneúmatos”

Jesus here Commands that we are to “baptize into the Name, of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”.

What does Jesus mean when He says, “baptízontes eis tó ónoma (baptize into the Name)”? Note, Jesus does not say, “ónomata”, which is the plural, as Three Persons are here spoken of, but, “tó ónoma”, which is the neuter singular, “THE NAME”.

In the first place, Jesus does not say, “ónomata”, which is the plural number, “Names”, as in “The Father and The Son and The Holy Spirit”, Three Names. Rather, it is clear that Jesus says, “tó ónoma”, THE NAME. In Greek, as the preposition “εἰς” is used, there is no need for the definite article, “tó”, as we could still say “The Name”. It is done here by Jesus for a clear purpose, to show that He has a definite NAME in mind.

The NAME is what was given to Moses, when he saw the Burning Bush in Exodus chapter 3. In verse 13 Moses says to God:

“And Moses said to God, Behold, when I come to the sons of Israel, and shall say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you, and they shall say to me, What is His Name? What shall I say to them?”

To which we see the reply from the Lord:

“And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM. And He said, So you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you. And God said to Moses again, You shall say this to the sons of Israel, YAHWEH the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My Name forever, and this is My title from generation to generation” (verses 14-15)

“Ehyeh ’ăsher ’ehyeh”, is what God told Moses, which is best translated as “I am that I am”, as the ever-present God, Who went before the Children of Israel. The Hebrew Name of God, “Yahweh”, has its root in the verb, “’ehyeh”, speaking of the “eternal, self-existence” of the God of the Holy Bible, Who is Unique, as He has no equal. Interesting, when the Jewish scholars who translated the Hebrew Old Testament into Greek, in the 2nd century BC, which has become known as the Septuagint (LXX) Version, they translated these words in verse 14, as, “ Εγω ειμι ὁ Ων”, literally, “I am He Who Exists”, or, “I am The Eternal One”. Which is what the Hebrew means. The Name YAHWEH is God’s Name forever. This is The Name that is used by Jesus Christ in Matthew 28:19. One Divine Name, for The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Thereby asserting their absolute, equal DEITY.

In addition, we can understand “into The Name” as “into the Authority”, of “the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit”. This also has the same meaning as “The Name”, YHWH, because the Three Persons have the same Authority, which is something that only can be said of them as Almighty God. It makes the Three Persons as absolutely coequal, as their Authority is the same. If, as some suppose, the Son and Holy Spirit are not “equal” with the Father, Who alone is “God”; then how can someone who is not “equal”, have the same authority? This argument is futile.

Some have supposed, that the Name order here is of some importance, as the Father is first, Jesus Christ is second, and the Holy Spirit is third. This, they argue, shows that the Father alone as God, is “preeminent”, and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, are “lesser” than the Father. This is not correct theology. In 1 Corinthians 13:13, we read, “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you”, where the Father is placed second, after Jesus Christ. In Galatians 4:4-6, we have, “There is one body and one Spirit — just as you were called to one hope at your calling — one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all”, the Father is here third. It is clear that there is no Person in the Eternal Godhead, Who is “greater” then the Other.

What is also very important in Jesus’ words in Matthew 28:19, is the fact that He mentions the Holy Spirit in association with Himself and the Father. There are some who teach the heresy, that God the Holy Spirit is no more than a “created being”. This is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit! The fact that the Holy Spirit has the same NAME and AUTHORITY as the Father and Jesus Christ, is conclusive that He is “Personal”, and COEQUAL with the Father and Jesus Christ.

When we read in the Book of Acts, where baptism is done in “the Name of Jesus”, it is it the same as, “in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”, as their NAME is One and the same.

Matthew 28:20, is very clear are precise, Three distinct Persons are meant here. “toú patrós kaí toú huioú kaí toú hagíou pneúmatos”. The Father is not, the Son or the Holy Spirit; nor is the Son the Father or the Holy Spirit; nor is the Holy Spirit, the Father or the Son. They are DISTINCT from One Another.

“When two or more consecutive nouns, denoting separate objects, agree in case and number, but differ in gender, each of them requires the Article…Where, however, the ideas do not require to be strictly distinguished, or where an adjective, joined to the first noun, is to be extended also to the second, the repetition of the Article does not take place ; and the one Article that precedes is to be referred to all the nouns that follow” (Dr G B Winer; A Grammar of the New Testament Diction, pp.138, 139)

In our passage in Matthew, we have three nouns, “patrós, huioú, pneúmatos”, where the first two are masculine in gender, and the last, neuter. However, in each case, we have the Greek definite article used, “toú”, which shows that these Persons are to be “distinguished”, from one another. They are not identical Persons.

We have a good example of the distinction of Persons, in the Gospel of John, where Jesus speaks of the Coming of the Holy Spirit;

“When the Counsellor comes, the One I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who comes from the Father, He will testify about Me” (15:26)

Jesus Christ is the Speaker in the first Person, and speaks of the Holy Spirit, in the third Person, which is to show distinction. Jesus says that the Coming of the Holy Spirit, is “pará toú patrós”, which is literally, “from the presence of the Father”, which stresses the distinction. Note, that even though “Pneuma”, is a neuter noun, yet Jesus says, “ekeínos”, which is the masculine pronoun, “He”, and not the neuter “ekeíno”, which is grammatically agreed with “Pneuma”, and which we would have expected in normal usage. However, it is clear here, that Jesus means the Holy Spirit to be a “Person”. The words, “marturēsei peri emou (shall bear witness of Me)”, can hardly be used for an “impersonal thing”, as “martureō”, is a “personal testimony”. In this verse in John, we have the Three distinct Persons, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, Who is also “ho paraklētos”, the masculine, “The Comforter”, and the Father.

The Person and absolute Deity and Coequality, of the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit, is very clear.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the spirit is in the believer how many places is that at once or is it not at once?

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If the spirit is in the believer how many places is that at once or is it not at once?

The Holy Spirit indwells in every believer at the same time

Acts 2:17 is important on this

"'And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams"

"of My Spirit", is "apo tou pneumatos", where we have the use of the partitive "apo", which denotes, "a share of", as the Holy Spirit does not dwell completely in one believer, which can be seen in verse 2 and 3 we read, "Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit"

As Paul says in 2 Cor 6:16, "And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people.""

Reactions: BeyondET

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit indwells in every believer at the same time

Acts 2:17 is important on this

"'And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams"

"of My Spirit", is "apo tou pneumatos", where we have the use of the partitive "apo", which denotes, "a share of", as the Holy Spirit does not dwell completely in one believer, which can be seen in verse 2 and 3 we read, "Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit"

As Paul says in 2 Cor 6:16, "And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people.""
Indeed alot the current figure around 2.18 billion Christian believers but of coarse that's all denomination combined so but that's large amount of places the Spirit is at once even if the figure is off quite a bit.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Seriously, yet another thread on the Trinity !!! My2c

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just fed up with the same record being played over and over by certain members with regards to certain subjects ….it gets a bit boring. It’s borderline nagging , in my opinion xx

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Just fed up with the same record being played over and over by certain members with regards to certain subjects ….it gets a bit boring. It’s borderline nagging , in my opinion xx
@Rita Well...good at any rate to be able to enjoy the great, basic Scriptures....maybe without a lot of commentary.

Romans 8 read by itself is such a heartening passage with Father, Son and Holy Spirit featuring prominently.

Rather than ppl arguing against it, best just to enjoy it by sure faith.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Knowing about the God of the Bible, as taught in the Bible, is "boring and nagging"??? :eek:

some Christians do indeed make me wonder! :rolleyes:

sounds like you need some help

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For the record, as it has been said on here by a staff member, that my many posts about the Trinity, are supposidly "boring and nagging", and that she is "fed up" with these posts.

Firstly, I make no apology for these posts, and warn that there are more to come

Secondly, if someone is "bored" from reading about the Great God of the Holy Bible, then they have the option not to click on the threads

Thridly, the two most attacked Doctrines are the Trinity, which includes the Deity of Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit; and Sola Scriptura, that the 66 Books of the Holy Bible, ALONE are The Inspired, Infallible, Inerrant, Perfect Word of Almighty God, in their Original Autographs.

Fourthly, it is wrongly held by some, that the Essential Doctrine of the Trinity, is a Christian invention, by the Roman Catholic church, and that, because this term is not in the Bible, therefore it is error.

Fifthly, I have shown in a number of posts, that the Old Testament, which is not Christian, but Jewish, is clear that there is One God, but there are Three distinct Persons Who are equally called Yahweh.

Sixthly, there are many Christians who do not understand the basics about the Trinity, and do not know the Hebrew or Greek languages, which are crucial in a correct understanding of this Essential Doctrine.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Seriously, yet another thread on the Trinity !!! My2c
Kinda boring, isn't it Rita?
When there is a gospel to be promulgated to the lost and dying, the crucified Christ and His glorious ascension/resurrection and the sealing of the Holy Spirit
My2c
I am not popular on this forum, but then, who wants to be popular?
J.

Reactions: ByGraceThroughFaith

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For the record, as it has been said on here by a staff member, that my many posts about the Trinity, are supposidly "boring and nagging", and that she is "fed up" with these posts.

Firstly, I make no apology for these posts, and warn that there are more to come

Secondly, if someone is "bored" from reading about the Great God of the Holy Bible, then they have the option not to click on the threads

Thridly, the two most attacked Doctrines are the Trinity, which includes the Deity of Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit; and Sola Scriptura, that the 66 Books of the Holy Bible, ALONE are The Inspired, Infallible, Inerrant, Perfect Word of Almighty God, in their Original Autographs.

Fourthly, it is wrongly held by some, that the Essential Doctrine of the Trinity, is a Christian invention, by the Roman Catholic church, and that, because this term is not in the Bible, therefore it is error.

Fifthly, I have shown in a number of posts, that the Old Testament, which is not Christian, but Jewish, is clear that there is One God, but there are Three distinct Persons Who are equally called Yahweh.

Sixthly, there are many Christians who do not understand the basics about the Trinity, and do not know the Hebrew or Greek languages, which are crucial in a correct understanding of this Essential Doctrine.
For the record I am also a member of the forum and my post was not in an official way, I am also allowed to post my thoughts as a member . I do find it all repetitive at times with many subjects

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For the record I believe in the trinity xx
But why different threads on the same thing , why not just add to an existing thread. My point is not the subject but the amount of threads about the same subject

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Fancy yourself a Greek and Hebrew scholar?
Or are you using secondary sources to make you sound as if you are a scholar?

ου γαρ εκρινα του ειδεναι τι εν υμιν ει μη ιησουν χριστον και τουτον εσταυρωμενον

כי לא־אמרתי לדעת בתוככם דבר בלתי אם־ישוע המשיח והוא הנצלב׃

י נֶחֱרָצָה בְלִבִּי לִבְלִי הִתְבּוֹנֵן בֵּינֵיכֶם אֶל־דָּבָר אַחֵר כִּי אִם־אֶל־יֵשׁוּעַ הַמָשִׁיחַ

What is the odds you are going to use Google Translator and what is the odds you are going to say, no, I don't?
J.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Knowing about the God of the Bible, as taught in the Bible, is "boring and nagging"??? :eek:

some Christians do indeed make me wonder! :rolleyes:

sounds like you need some help
You completely missed the point I have made and misrepresented my words. I said that I found the repetitive threads boring and comes across as nagging …….not the subject

Reactions: Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Fancy yourself a Greek and Hebrew scholar?
Or are you using secondary sources to make you sound as if you are a scholar?

ου γαρ εκρινα του ειδεναι τι εν υμιν ει μη ιησουν χριστον και τουτον εσταυρωμενον

כי לא־אמרתי לדעת בתוככם דבר בלתי אם־ישוע המשיח והוא הנצלב׃

י נֶחֱרָצָה בְלִבִּי לִבְלִי הִתְבּוֹנֵן בֵּינֵיכֶם אֶל־דָּבָר אַחֵר כִּי אִם־אֶל־יֵשׁוּעַ הַמָשִׁיחַ

What is the odds you are going to use Google Translator and what is the odds you are going to say, no, I don't?
J.
supposidly...your spelling of the word "supposedly"
J.

Status
Not open for further replies.