Missing Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gift of prophecy, that God gives a man something to say so he says it.
Like who? Cindy jacobs? I think there are a lot of people trying to tout that they have the gift of prophecy and some charismatic churches even teach classes in how to develop it. Did that happen to the Prophets of the OT?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like who? Cindy jacobs? I think there are a lot of people trying to tout that they have the gift of prophecy and some charismatic churches even teach classes in how to develop it. Did that happen to the Prophets of the OT?

I'm asking if you consider it possible that there could be a true prophet of God in the current day.

I'm not speaking of anyone in particular, just if you think it is possible.

Much love!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm asking if you consider it possible that there could be a true prophet of God in the current day.I'm not speaking of anyone in particular, just if you think it is possible.
Much love!
You have yet to define it. Show me WHO you are referring to as God's Prophets.
I have stated over several times that the canon is closed. God is not giving New revelations to people, neither is God appending scriptures , Nor reinterpreting the scriptures and giving a Fresh message.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have yet to define it. Show me WHO you are referring to as God's Prophets.
I have stated over several times that the canon is closed. God is not giving New revelations to people, neither is God appending scriptures , Nor reinterpreting the scriptures and giving a Fresh message.

Romans 12
5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

1 Corinthians 12:10
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Like this.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12
5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

1 Corinthians 12:10
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Like this.
So, who are the Prophets today you are you speaking of?
What people call prophecy today is not anything like the examples we have in scripture. It often just amounts to tickling of the ears, speaking something that sounds so spiritual or mystical, ---or it is out and out flattery. The travelling in PC and charismatic circles on stage saying to someone--"I have a word for YOU , from God"
How is it there is "mentoring" of prophets? do prophets need mentoring? Do they need to learn prophetic skill? How about asking for a "double portion" ?? what's that all about?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What people call prophecy today is not anything like the examples we have in scripture. It often just amounts to tickling of the ears, speaking something that sounds so spiritual or mystical, ---or it is out and out flattery. The travelling in PC and charismatic circles on stage saying to someone--"I have a word for YOU , from God"
How is it there is "mentoring" of prophets? do prophets need mentoring? Do they need to learn prophetic skill?
Nevermind. I was just trying to find out your view.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nevermind. I was just trying to find out your view.
So you won't say...... Ok , I've given my opinion in several replies but you have refused to answer my questions. Who are the Prophets today?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you won't say...... Ok , I've given my opinion in several replies but you have refused to answer my questions. Who are the Prophets today?
Who are prophets? I don't think its Cindy Jacobs, if that is why you are so reluctant to answer.

Let's say I said I was a prophet? I'm not saying that mind you. But if I did? Would you consider it an impossible claim? Or a claim that could be real, subject to being proven or disproven?

I keep asking if you think there can be prophets, and you keep asking who they are. But if there can't be any, then there are none. Right?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nor reinterpreting the scriptures and giving a Fresh message.

Can it be that the Word is not correctly understood, and God gives a prophet the word to give clear understanding?

Reactions: Nancy

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can it be that the Word is not correctly understood, and God gives a prophet the word to give clear understanding?
When did THAT happen in the Bible? That Prophets gave a new interpretation of scriptures?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did THAT happen in the Bible? That Prophets gave a new interpretation of scriptures?
OK . . . back to nevermind. I can't imagine why this question should be so hard. It sounds like you mean , "no", so I'll go with that. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK . . . back to nevermind. I can't imagine why this question should be so hard. It sounds like you mean , "no", so I'll go with that. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

Much love!
You are purposely not answering me.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is it there is "mentoring" of prophets? do prophets need mentoring? Do they need to learn prophetic skill? How about asking for a "double portion" ?? what's that all about?
Just for the record, I'm not talking about any of this other stuff, "mentoring prophets", "double portion", all that.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just for the record, I'm not talking about any of this other stuff, "mentoring prophets", "double portion", all that.
These are things I've heard these so called prophetic ministries say. I'm not buying that it is prophecy nor from God.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just thinking about this a couple of nights ago, reading how the king, Jeconiah maybe? burned Jeremiah's scroll that Baruch had written, so God told him to get another scroll and write it all down again. And I just assumed that it would be a letter perfect reproduction.

Ezekiel was physically unable to speak until God wanted him to. But Nathan spoke to David on his own, and later had to go back and retract.
Thanks. The reason why I said it the way that I did, is that in my own experience I have found things to be more inline with John the Baptist's claiming “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.” Personally, I know that I can befuddle conversation or wax eloquence with words that are so obviously not mine, that I am aware, but in no way could even quote myself afterwards. But the words do come and they are relevant and according to scripture...although many times, in a way I had never considered before.

This is how I see the NT intructions, that the prophet speaks, and the hearers judge. And either we have the inner witness of the Holy Spirit, but even if not, we have the witness of Scripture. And even if we feel that we concur, our own feelings may be misguided. This is why for me I always return to the Bible.

And this is just one more reason why I think we need to know the Scripture so well! At the end of the day, I think that the prophet tells us what the Word declares but that we don't see.

I think the time is coming there will be 2 prophets more along the lines of the OT prophets, to guide Israel through a very difficult time.

I know that many believe there will be a dramatic increase in spiritual gift activity, signs and wonders, as I've mentioned before, this is a concern to me. The Bible is my anchor.

Much love!
With the examples of the prophets in scripture and my own experience, I cannot say that things in discussion that I comment on will always easily align with scriptural references, but I am willing to try to provide it. I am not sure that it is always possible, or that there is any precedence for it in scripture, other than certain things being the fulfillment of scripture, rather than a quote. And if you look at some of the quotes of Jesus and the apostles...they would/could even be considered a weak connection or claim. I mean, just consider the psalms...to pick out the quoted phrases they did could be considered quite a stretch. Nonetheless, they hold up because they were made manifest by the power of God in spite of what men believed. That is perhaps the key difference.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False prophets think they bring something NEW because THEY have a FRESH Revelation given THEM from GOD-----NOT
Do you have a scripture to quote for that?

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonetheless, they hold up because they were made manifest by the power of God in spite of what men believed. That is perhaps the key difference.

That's a key part, "God makes it so." Our Dearly Sovereign God!

And if you look at some of the quotes of Jesus and the apostles...they would/could even be considered a weak connection or claim.

While some disagree, I think this shows that they were quoting from the Septuagint.

But I always like to use Hosea as example, who ever reading Hosea would see prophecy of the Messiah being called out of Egypt? I can't imagine, anyway!

With the examples of the prophets in scripture and my own experience, I cannot say that things in discussion that I comment on will always easily align with scriptural references, but I am willing to try to provide it.

That's cool!

Personally, I know that I can befuddle conversation or wax eloquence with words that are so obviously not mine, that I am aware, but in no way could even quote myself afterwards. But the words do come and they are relevant and according to scripture...although many times, in a way I had never considered before.

I feel that happens with me too. My hope is always that I speak/write as the Lord desires! But if those things I say show what is written, then I'm simply speaking God's Word.

I can't imagine that I understand everything in the Bible correctly. Therefore there is place for God to reveal to me new understanding, and He can do this any number of ways. Reading the Bible, thinking about a verse, hearing a line in a song, a word from a brother, and new understand comes. Is it true? I look in the Word.

Thanks. The reason why I said it the way that I did, is that in my own experience I have found things to be more inline with John the Baptist's claiming “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.

And God will be heard according to His ways.

Much love!

Reactions: ScottA