• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Cults, all of them, get it wrong.
Yes, but you omitted the key to identifying a cult:

1. THEY ALL REJECT THE FACT THAT JESUS IS GOD (the deity of Christ)

2. THEY ALL REJECT THE FACT THAT THE TRIUNE GODHEAD CONSISTS OF THE FATHER, THE SON, AND THE HOLY SPIRIT (the Holy Trinity)

As a result they cannot possibly have a proper understanding of salvation.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the main defining trait of a cult is diminishing the divinity of Jesus. They deflect your attention away from Christ. For instance many cults will make their leader almost more important than Jesus. Or they will make a new deity more important than Jesus(ie: Mary). They make it so you have to go through a person or a saint or someone other than Jesus to get to God. Thats a cult.

I have been binge watching shows about cults lately. I think the most dangerous cult is the mormons. I watched three separate shows that all ended the same way. Some man claims he is the chosen prophet of God, the mormons follow this man, it leads to polygamy, sexual/physical abuse, pedophilia and eventually murder. It is almost like the demons have a playbook that they use over and over to destroy lives.
Note: the shows you were watching (I'm guessing as "Stay Sweet" and "Banner of Heaven") don't depict the "Mormon" church, but rather spinoff groups "Mormons" consider apostate. The real name of the "Mormon" church the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and here's actual beliefs:
- Jesus Christ the divine Son of God. He is the creator, Savior of the world, and foundation of everything.
- No man is more important than Christ. Human leaders (past/present/future) are still sinners and fall short. No man's words are automatically infallible.
-I follow Christ, not any man. It is paramount that any disciple of Christ check what they are seeing/hearing/reading/etc with God themselves. He's your Father- go talk to Him!
- Obviously murder is grave sin. Just under that is sexual misconduct including but not limited to taking multiple wives, pedophilia, and rape. Such MAJOR sins, ground for near-instant excommunication, and need to be resolved with (amount other things) God & legal authorities.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Note: the shows you were watching (I'm guessing as "Stay Sweet" and "Banner of Heaven") don't depict the "Mormon" church, but rather spinoff groups "Mormons" consider apostate. The real name of the "Mormon" church the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and here's actual beliefs:
- Jesus Christ the divine Son of God. He is the creator, Savior of the world, and foundation of everything.
- No man is more important than Christ. Human leaders (past/present/future) are still sinners and fall short. No man's words are automatically infallible.
-I follow Christ, not any man. It is paramount that any disciple of Christ check what they are seeing/hearing/reading/etc with God themselves. He's your Father- go talk to Him!
- Obviously murder is grave sin. Just under that is sexual misconduct including but not limited to taking multiple wives, pedophilia, and rape. Such MAJOR sins, ground for near-instant excommunication, and need to be resolved with (amount other things) God & legal authorities.
Yeah they were all splinter groups from the main church. I did watch those two shows but also several others that all had similar outcomes. Blood atonement and such.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS IS GOD

Funny, I can’t find that declaration in scripture.

But I found these:

Jesus is the Christ (Matthew 16:20; John 20:31; 1 John 2:22; 1 John 5:1)

Jesus is the Lord (1 Corinthians 12:3; Colossians 2:6)

Jesus is the Son of God (Hebrews 4:14; 1 John 4:15; 1 John 5:5)

So ya’ll can make up unbiblical doctrines and phrases and slander those who don’t believe these unbiblical things?

Wow!

THE TRIUNE GODHEAD

@Enoch111 is seeing a red mirage here:

“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the triune Godhead bodily.” (Colossians 2:8-9)

TRIUNE Godhead?

Well lookey here, you just got a revelation that even the inspired writer didn’t have. I guess you assume the inspired writer forgot to pencil-in the word TRIUNE here…

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny, I can’t find that declaration in scripture.

But I found these:

Jesus is the Christ (Matthew 16:20; John 20:31; 1 John 2:22; 1 John 5:1)

Jesus is the Lord (1 Corinthians 12:3; Colossians 2:6)

Jesus is the Son of God (Hebrews 4:14; 1 John 4:15; 1 John 5:5)

So ya’ll can make up unbiblical doctrines and phrases and slander those who don’t believe these unbiblical things?

Wow!

@Enoch111 is seeing a red mirage here:

“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the triune Godhead bodily.” (Colossians 2:8-9)

TRIUNE Godhead?

Well lookey here, you just got a revelation that even the inspired writer didn’t have. I guess you assume the inspired writer forgot to pencil-in the word TRIUNE here…
Jesus did not claim to be God but he said that he had All the authority of God or something to that effect. Do you think that he said that to respect the authority of the father?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah they were all splinter groups from the main church. I did watch those two shows but also several others that all had similar outcomes. Blood atonement and such.
I just wanted to make sure that it was clear those splinter groups aren't "Mormons" such as myself and others you'll meet throughout life. Those groups "cult" could be indeed be sued (along with extreme splinter groups from any group), but for mainstream, either on a theological or cultural level.

Reactions: Mantis

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did not claim to be God but he said that he had All the authority of God or something to that effect.

This one?

“And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.” (Matthew 28:18)

Reactions: Mantis

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are adding this to help your doctrine work.

When Christ comes after the tribulation (Matthew 24:29) he will take up his tribulation saints that we’re beheaded first (1 Thessalonians 4:16), then those that remain and are alive at the twinkling of the eye (1 Thessalonians 4:17). He will then destroy the beast and the false prophet (2 Thessalonians 2:8; Revelation 19:20). Then Satan gets bound for a thousand years (Revelation 20:2). Then the tribulation saints are given judgment on their thrones (Revelation 20:4) by which they judge angels (1 Corinthians 6:3). They reign with Christ a thousand years (Revelation 20:4). The rest of the dead (including saints) who died before the tribulation period will continue to sleep in the graves (1 Thessalonians 4:14; Revelation 20:5) until they hear Christ’s voice after the thousand year reign of Christ (John 5:28-29; Revelation 20:12)

Incorrect! The dead saints are resurrected before the tribulation begins.

Rev. 3:10

"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth."

This changes everything you have stated!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev. 3:10

"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth."

Yes, BECAUSE they were allowed to die and sleep in Him (1 Thessalonians 4:14) before the hour of temptation started! (Before the tribulation!)

“The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.” (Isaiah 57:1)

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, BECAUSE they were allowed to die and sleep in Him (1 Thessalonians 4:14) before the hour of temptation started! (Before the tribulation!)

“The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.” (Isaiah 57:1)

None of your slick moves can get you out of this one!

Christ comes for His possessions before He unleashes Hell on this earth.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said so. John 14:6

He omitted water, works, being good, loving the pope, taking communion, and anything else WE CAN DO.

See, Salvation is what HE DID.......not what we do.

thats you’re tradition!
The tradition of men!

we must do alot!

Religion says do!

Christianity says done!

There is nothing we can do???

Does the will of God:
Those who hear the Word of God and do it!
Ez 36:25-27
Matt 7:21
Matt 12:50
Mk 3:35
Lk 8:21
Lk 11:28
Jn 5:30
Jn7:17
Rom 12:2
Rev 17:7

Doer of the word
James 1:22-23

Keep my commandments:
Matt 28:20
Jn 14:21

Things we must do:

Matt 5:8
Matt 7:14 narrow road leads to life
Jn 15:1-5 abide in Him
Lk 1:4 be instructed
Acts 2:38 acts 8:36-38 Matt 28:19 Jn 3:5 Jn 3:22 ez 36:25 baptism

Must repent and do penance
Matt 3:2
Matt 3:8
Matt 4:17
Matt 9:13
Matt 16:24
Acts 2:38
Acts 3:19

Must believe and continue in a state of believing:
Jn3:16

Endure to the end:
Matt 24:13
Mark 13:13
Rev 2:26
Heb 3:14
Heb 6:11
Romans 11:22
Colossians 1:21-23
Hebrews 12:22-25
Hebrews 6:4
Hebrews 10:23-29, 35-39
Hebrews 3:4-6
1 John 2:24-25
2 John 8-9
Galatians 5:2-4
2 Timothy 2:11-13

1 pet 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus did not claim to be God but he said that he had All the authority of God or something to that effect.
That is a false and misleading statement. Jesus BOTH (1) claimed to be God and (2) also said that all power and authority in Heaven and on earth had been handed to Him by God the Father. So why is it so hard to understand that:

1. The Father is God

2. The Son is God

3. The Holy Spirit is God

Reactions: theefaith

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. That’s the “wrath of God” (Revelation 15:1-16:17)

But the tribulation happens first. (Revelation 6:1-11:15)

Then you don't believe Rev. 3:10, as it could be no clearer.

The only way that the Pre-trib can be true (and I believe it is) is for there to be the resurrection that Paul speaks of in 1Thes. and the resurrection of the beheaded in Rev. 20 being two separate resurrections but are the "first resurrection" that John speaks of.

I know that's hard to understand! There are phases to the resurrection in order for prophecy to be fulfilled. But the "first resurrection" is all of the saved, with the "second resurrection" being of all the unsaved.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a false and misleading statement. Jesus BOTH (1) claimed to be God and (2) also said that all power and authority in Heaven and on earth had been handed to Him by God the Father. So why is it so hard to understand that:

1. The Father is God

2. The Son is God

3. The Holy Spirit is God
Not really. I understand he is God. But he didn't say "I am God". In fact he said he was not good, only God was good. So that right there is a bit confusing no?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not really. I understand he is God. But he didn't say "I am God". In fact he said he was not good, only God was good. So that right there is a bit confusing no?

No, He did not say He was not good! He said that ONLY God was good, including Himself.

If He were not God, then He would have said, "only the Father is good."

But He didn't say that, He said God, which included Him.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, He did not say He was not good! He said that ONLY God was good, including Himself.

In other words, Christ was telling him I'm not just the carpenter from Nazareth, I am God!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Charlie24 @Enoch111

The Bible doesn’t hide that Jesus is the Son of God and Christ in veiled language. And this is all that’s needed to be saved and to expose heretics thereby.

Being forceful towards others on the trinity is unreasonable. This is not explicitly stated in scripture and there is language in the Bible that explicitly identify Christ and the Father as separate entities. EXPLICIT!

Why create a heretic making doctrine that the Bible doesn’t command?

Why are you trinitarians so vehement on this particular?

If you were John you would have made this verse look like this:

“Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ God? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and is the Son.” (1 John 2:22)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He implied in that instance that He is God. At other times He DECLARED that He is God.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah I guess he said “why do you call me good”