Must scripture be quoted to "prove" what is true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear All,

Is it necessary to quote scripture when stating a truth? Does scripture make the truth any truer?

Blessings,

Justin

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Pilot said to Jesus what is TRUTH?

Jesus answer to that is I AM the way the TRUTH and the life... . A statement without the TRUTH is not necessary true in itself.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus is the Word of God that will never change. But again you may want to read this, mind you I dont often refer to writings of others,

http://www.all4god.net/word_of_god.htm

Joh_1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

In All His Love

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
mjrhealth said:
Jesus is the Word of God that will never change. But again you may want to read this, mind you I dont often refer to writings of others,

http://www.all4god.net/word_of_god.htm

Joh_1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

In All His Love

What was your point you were seeking to make in your first post? If you fail to answer that you have left yourself with NO credit, whatsoever.

Posting another doesn't assist you. There's NO power on earth that can or will assist you in side stepping this question. So, you can't cover one thing with another. SO SPEAK UP!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

Is it necessary to quote scripture when stating a truth? Does scripture make the truth any truer?

Blessings,

Justin
Truth is truth rather we state it or not... we don't always quote the Word for our ears, but for the spiritual world to know where we stand and for the ears of another to receive so that they can hear the truth to plant in their heart for the Word of God he is the Seed of God.
We are what we feed upon and we grow and live and produce fruit by the seeds we instill in us internally that go into our eyes, ears, mouth for they manifest the outwardly things according to the seed we receive.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
KJV
Luke 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
KJV
Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
KJV
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
KJV
Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
KJV
1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
KJV

John 1:1-5
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
KJV

1 John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
KJV

John 17:5-6
5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.
KJV
Rev 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
KJV

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

Blessings,

Justin
Justin still preaching follow your gut instincts I see. Follow your heart into the tabernacle of Justin Man-gone LOL
Please check your bibles at the door you will not need them, for we are off to the land of our own making. To lazy to find your return to Eden thread right now.

To answer your OP, no its not, but it sure comes in handy when weasels come sneaking around the chicken coop
Handy like a double barrel shotgun Heb 4:12

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear All,

Good comments are being made by all. I tend to see the world of God as
the Logos or plan of God. It is the plan that was pre-existent and not
Jesus who was born to Mary at a particular point in time.

Truth stands independent. I suppose what I object to is that some seem
to have an idea that quoting scripture makes what they say weightier simply by
the abundance of it. One person quotes one scripture and another quotes a
scripture and raises them three more. The first responds further by
putting in a whole chapter plus three Greek references. Finally, the
whole Bible is pushed into the center of the discussion and it is said that the
general tenor of the word supports what is said! (this is not a reference to a faithful one btw...I thought what they said was very good.)

Jesus was fond of saying something to the effect of "verily, verily, I
say unto you." When he said such truths he did not always feel it
was a must that He quote scripture to back up his word....why?...because it was
truth and he expected his disciples to receive it as such. Today, some
may have fallen into the trap of thinking that truth is not really true if we
cannot find two or three scriptures to bear witness to it. The higher way
for us to follow, I believe, is to come to a place where we know truth based upon
our spirits knowing our Fathers voice.

Blessings,

Justin

Jul 6, 2011
Its a typical secular liberal type question.

For Jesus to be the way the truth and the life, what He says must also be, otherwise Jesus is claiming to be the truth whilst lying.

Scripture is useful for teaching, correcting and encouraging, so quoting scripture holistically and in context would prove.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

general tenor of the word supports what is said! (this is not a reference to a faithful one btw...I thought what they said was very good.)

for us to follow, I believe, is to come to a place where we know truth based upon

Blessings,

Justin
Is this true Justin?

Hebrews 4:12

[SIZE=80%]12 [/SIZE]For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

How about this is this the truth?
John 14:6
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
I tend to see the world of God as
I get the impression and from some of your previous post you place Jesus in a less than preexisting light, I think your words were to the effect that He was just a man until his baptism and the HS descended on him.

So two simple direct questions. Are the two verses above the truth?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
JB so angry, why? search these things out. you may have to go back to find the answer, have you not read,

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

or,

2Co_3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

That word, "word". like the word, "church" has done much to undermine God and His power.

In all His Love

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
When Martin Luther was summoned to the Diet of Worms in 1521 and asked to recant his teaching, he replied, "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe. God help me. Here I stand, I can do no other."

Being able to reason truth from falsity from a formal, logical, standpoint is not just needed, it is an absolute necessity in order to discuss anything, scriptural or otherwise. It is nice to be able to quote scripture, but so many here are merely scripture monkeys. Vomiting page after page of out of context scripture; whatever point they thought they were making is hopelessly lost in the forest of meaningless quotes and misattributions.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
BiggAndyy said:
Being able to reason truth from falsity from a formal, logical, standpoint is not just needed, it is an absolute necessity in order to discuss anything, scriptural or otherwise. It is nice to be able to quote scripture, but so many here are merely scripture monkeys. Vomiting page after page of out of context scripture; whatever point they thought they were making is hopelessly lost in the forest of meaningless quotes and misattributions.
It gets really old after a while.

+1

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
mjrhealth said:
JB so angry, why? search these things out. you may have to go back to find the answer, have you not read,

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

or,

2Co_3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

That word, "word". like the word, "church" has done much to undermine God and His power.

In all His Love
mjrhealth said:

or,

In all His Love

OK. So you're a Deist. Thanks for clearing that up.

Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

Blessings,

Justin
So, the world is the LOGOS.(SOUNDS LIKE DEISM TO ME)

Secondly, Jesus Christ is the word incarnate, so any comparison between us and him when speaking the 'TRUTH' is fundamentally different. You're comparing apples and oranges.One cannot rightly challenge his words as I indicated above as he is GOD in the flesh. But when you or I or anyone else for that matter makes claims of "truth" it's required that it be checked out.

Therefore a standard or rule is required to ascertain the legitimacy of the claim. Or else anyone can stand up and claim that are speaking on behalf of God, and what their saying is "truth".

TEST THE SPIRITS, TO SEE WHETHER THEY'RE FROM GOD.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
There are extremes and there is a balance. Yes, Jesus is the Living Word and what does Jesus think of the Scriptures? He referred to them constantly and even used the Scriptures in dealing with Satan in the wilderness. And I love the Scriptures for within them is contained the revelation of Jesus Christ when the Spirit breathes on the letter. The Spirit can and does speak directly to my spirit, too. But, many times as I read the Scriptures, the Holy Spirit unmistakenly (not me) opens them up to me just as Jesus opened up the Scriptures to the two on the Emmaus Road. What was Jesus doing? He was recounting and explaining the Scriptures, beginning at Moses.

Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Does your heart burn within you as the Holy Spirit opens the scriptures to you regarding the things concerning Jesus? As Jesus talks with you "by the way", He will "open up" the Scriptures to you.

In all things, Jesus Christ, the Living Word must have the preeminence. And nothing He tells you will contradict His word (in the Scriptures), although many times He will contradicts (correct) our understanding of a Scripture.

Axehead

Reactions: meshak

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Whats a "Deist" ????????

Mat_11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Why is it when some get confronted with the truth the best they can do is call people names.

Mat 15:16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

This is how people show where there hearts are at.

In All his Love

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
mjrhealth said:
Whats a "Deist" ????????

Mat_11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Why is it when some get confronted with the truth the best they can do is call people names.

Mat 15:16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Mat 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

This is how people show where there hearts are at.

In All his Love
Take another look at the link you provided with absolutely no dialogue on it's content. So now you can answer your own rhetorical question. http://www.deism.com/bibleorigins.htm

Good luck with that.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
mjrhealth, I think JBRB is stumbling over the fact that you linked to a deist website in order to provide a Thomas Paine quote.