My interpretation of 1 Cor. 15:20-28

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First I wish to say that what is written in this post is what I believe. I do not write it to refute, or criticize anyone. I give everyone the right to believe as they wish. I also take that right for myself. I offer this post as food for thought.

1 Cor. 15: 20-28
20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

*** No one had been resurrected into new bodies that will not die until Christ. He is the firstfruit.

21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.

*** Indeed, "All men shall be resurrected from the dead (made alive)." The use of the word "all" is inclusive and means all. In John 5:27-29 below we see again that “all” men will be resurrected.

23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ's at His coming.

*** NOTE, NOTE; The statement "But each one in his own order" indicates that there is a set order (time) for each event. It is also important to notice the words "those who are Christ's at His coming." There is no mention of those who are not Christ's because they will not be resurrected at His coming. This is important and must not be overlooked. See John 5:27-29 below. --- It should also be noted that between verse 23 and 24 there will be an earthly kingdom rule of Christ for a thousand years.

24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power.
25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet.
26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.
27 For "He has put all things under His feet." But when He says "all things are put under Him," it is evident that He who put all things under Him is excepted.
28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.
(NKJ)

*** During the 1000 year rule of Christ (verse 25) there will be people who are still in the flesh living on the earth and Christ will rule over them. These people can still die (their first death). It should be noticed that those who died ""without"" Christ have not been resurrected because it is not yet their time. At the end of Christ's rule on earth all the remaining dead will be resurrected and death of the flesh will be destroyed. But not the "Second Death." Flesh bodies will no longer exist. Only resurrected bodies that do not die will exist. In the statement "The last enemy that will be destroyed is death" THERE IS NO MENTION OF "THE SECOND DEATH." At this time there will be the "Great White Throne Judgment." All names that are NOT found written in the "Book of Life" will be thrown into the Lake of Fire, which is "THE SECOND DEATH." (see John 5:27-29 and Revelations 20:12-15 below). If death and the second death are the same death then why call it by another name?

John 5:27-29 . (NIV)
27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.
28 "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice
29 and come out-- those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

Verse 29 Those who have done evil will rise from the first death of the flesh and then die the 'Second Death.'

*** Although "ALL" will be resurrected not "all" will be saved. Some will die the "second death" mentioned in the scriptures. The second death is being in the lake of fire separated from God. But they will finally know that God exists and that they rejected Him. They will know it forever. As the scriptures say "all men will be drawn to Christ," some to be the children of God and some to be judged by Christ. It is written in John 3:18; "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. Jesus is the rightful judge. For those that say the word condemned does not mean that the person will not go to heaven let me give another reference; John 3:36, "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." The message is very clear 'shall not see life.'

Rev 20:12-15
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.
13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.
(NKJ)

This is how I see it. There is no way to get around having a personal relationship with Christ in your HEART so that He will be able to claim you as His own.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead.
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.

*** Indeed, "All men shall be resurrected from the dead (made alive)." The use of the word "all" is inclusive and means all. In John 5:27-29 below we see again that “all” men will be resurrected.

And

*** During the 1000 year rule of Christ (verse 25) there will be people who are still in the flesh living on the earth and Christ will rule over them. These people can still die (their first death). It should be noticed that those who died ""without"" Christ have not been resurrected because it is not yet their time. At the end of Christ's rule on earth all the remaining dead will be resurrected and death of the flesh will be destroyed. But not the "Second Death." Flesh bodies will no longer exist. Only resurrected bodies that do not die will exist. In the statement "The last enemy that will be destroyed is death" THERE IS NO MENTION OF "THE SECOND DEATH." At this time there will be the "Great White Throne Judgment." All names that are NOT found written in the "Book of Life" will be thrown into the Lake of Fire, which is "THE SECOND DEATH." (see John 5:27-29 and Revelations 20:12-15 below). If death and the second death are the same death then why call it by another name?

Can I understand from the above that you hold to the belief that Christ is coming at the beginning of the Millennium Age?

Then if this is so, how do you resolve the following passage: -

Revelation 20: 4-6: - The Saints Reign with Christ 1000 Years

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
with respect to what you have posted in the OP?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And

Can I understand from the above that you hold to the belief that Christ is coming at the beginning of the Millennium Age?

Then if this is so, how do you resolve the following passage: -

Revelation 20: 4-6: - The Saints Reign with Christ 1000 Years

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
with respect to what you have posted in the OP?

Rev 20:1-5
20 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2 He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
3 and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while.

The Saints Reign with Christ 1000 Years

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
NKJV

Rev 20:1-3 happen when Jesus returns to set up the kingdom promised to the Jews.

Rev 20:4 happen when the promised Jewish kingdom is set up. The thrones are the 12 that the 12 apostles were promised, IMHO.

Rev 20:5 The first part of verse 5 tells us that those who died without God's mercy will not be resurrected until the 1,000 years reign of Jesus is finished on this existing earth and is accomplished at the White Throne judgement. The statement "this is the first resurrection" applies to verses 1-4.

The book of Rev. is what happens after the grace church is taken away and shows what happens to the earth during the 7 years of tribulations, IMHO.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
<snip>
Rev 20:1-3 happen when Jesus returns to set up the kingdom promised to the Jews.
Rev 20:4 happen when the promised Jewish kingdom is set up. The thrones are the 12 that the 12 apostles were promised, IMHO.
Rev 20:5 The first part of verse 5 tells us that those who died without God's mercy will not be resurrected until the 1,000 years reign of Jesus is finished on this existing earth and is accomplished at the White Throne judgement. The statement "this is the first resurrection" applies to verses 1-4.
The book of Rev. is what happens after the grace church is taken away and shows what happens to the earth during the 7 years of tribulations, IMHO.

My observation from your second post above of your expressed humble opinion, is that you have not answered my question.

In my humble opinion, isn't Revelation 19: 1 - 16 all about what Christ is doing in Heaven during the first 1000 years of the Millennium Age, in conjunction with Revelation 20: 4 - 6, and that Revelation 19: 17 - 21 is about Christ dealing with the Beast and the Little Horn/False Prophet at the end of the Millennium Age after the 1,000 years has passed, just before he deals with Satan as is recorded in Revelation 20: 7 - 10, it tells us of Satan's actions after he is released from the bottomless pit after the 1,000 years have passed, and is then captured by Christ and then dispatched into the Lake of Fire at the end of the Millennium Age.

Your expressed opinion of what will happen with respect to Revelation 20: 1 - 5 sounds a bit mystical to me, but what the heck, you are entitled to hold whatever believe system that you want to hold without requested condemnation on my part, no matter what the consequences are for either you or me.

Shalom

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My observation from your second post above of your expressed humble opinion, is that you have not answered my question.

In my humble opinion, isn't Revelation 19: 1 - 16 all about what Christ is doing in Heaven during the first 1000 years of the Millennium Age, in conjunction with Revelation 20: 4 - 6, and that Revelation 19: 17 - 21 is about Christ dealing with the Beast and the Little Horn/False Prophet at the end of the Millennium Age after the 1,000 years has passed, just before he deals with Satan as is recorded in Revelation 20: 7 - 10, it tells us of Satan's actions after he is released from the bottomless pit after the 1,000 years have passed, and is then captured by Christ and then dispatched into the Lake of Fire at the end of the Millennium Age.

Your expressed opinion of what will happen with respect to Revelation 20: 1 - 5 sounds a bit mystical to me, but what the heck, you are entitled to hold whatever believe system that you want to hold without requested condemnation on my part, no matter what the consequences are for either you or me.

Shalom

I guess I did not understand your question but it has been revealed that you already had your opinion and it is different than mine. I really do stand behind what I posted in the OP. It is my opinion and I will keep it. You can believe it the way you like it. I had my input.

Thanks for your replies.