Naked in heaven?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
I first posted this over 4 years ago here: http://forum.bible-discussion.com/showthread.php?11122-Naked-in-heaven

I'm going to float this theory I've been working on for some time but haven't gotten any feedback yet. I propose that in heaven we are unclothed or rather, as Adam and Eve were, clothed in dignity.

Before we get to that, we need to have an understanding of what heaven is. Certain artists have done a great disservice by portraying us in heaven as white robed cherubs playing harps on clouds. Nothing could be further from the truth. Oh, and by the way....boring! Scripture paints heaven as a very physical place. In fact it might even seem a little familiar to us because it will be Earth renovated, redeemed, and glorified or better stated in Romans 8:

20For the creation was subjected to futility,
not willingly, but because of Him who
subjected it in hope; 21 because the
creation itself also will be delivered from the
bondage of corruption into the glorious
liberty of the children of God. 22 For we
know that the whole creation groans and
labors with birth pangs together until now.

Or 2 Peter 3
13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise,
look for new heavens and a new earth in which
righteousness dwells.

And perhaps the most convicting evidence of the nature of our existence in heaven is Jesus himself who is incarnated, not as a temporary "earth suit", but as a permanent and intimate union with His creation. We know that "in Him (Jesus) dwells the fullness of the godhead bodily" (Col 2:9) And we know that he still bears the scars that won our redemption as "He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn" (Rev 1:7) If we are to be conformed to the body of Christ (Phil 3:21) then our existence will be very physical in heaven. God loves creation and would have it no other way.

But what about all this naked business?

To answer a question with a question I'll ask, why do we wear clothes? I'll give you 3 reasons.
1. To protect us from the harshness of the elements
2. To elevate ourselves, one above the other
3. We are ashamed of our bodies and have become "naked" since the eyes of Adam and Eve were opened (or rather closed)

None of those reasons will exist in the next life! Perhaps the most profound evidence is found in Gen 1:31, "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good." One could study GOOD a little further and understand it to mean perfect, impeccable, and lacking in nothing. This concept of our scamping around nekkid may be hurtful to our imagination, but perhaps it's because our minds have been shadowed by the fall. When Adam says he hid himself because he was naked, God's next question is telling. "Who told you that you were naked?" It wasn't that God wasn't aware of this new reality, but rather that He was grieving it. God then makes clothes out of animal skin not because He agreed with Adam, but to protect them from harshness of what lay ahead of them. No more paradise.

Christian art alludes to this day as well with portraits, statues, and paintings in the Sistine Chapel of people with a wardrobe malfunction. Perhaps this is a meeting of the mind between man and God as God reminisces about how it was, how it should be, how it will be again. Perhaps parents, occasionally seeing their little ones run around in birthday suits, see the connection between nakedness and the utmost of innocence in toddlers and it causes them to look ahead to a better time and a better place.

I have no strong convictions on any of this, but I want to get some thoughts.

In Christ's most Sacred Heart.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nakedness is the result of justification and sanctification......whether we happen to be wearing clothes or not. Reducing the story of the Fall to the literal, right down to the clothing, is missing the point. Adam and Eve were naked before God because they were without guilt or shame. They asked for clothing from God, to cover their shame and guilt - the clothing God made at their request was the false self and it destroyed the intimacy formerly shared between God and humanity.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen said:
Nakedness is the result of justification and sanctification......whether we happen to be wearing clothes or not. Reducing the the story of the Fall to the literal, right down to the clothing, is missing the point. Adam and Eve were naked before God because they were without guilt or shame. They asked for clothing from God, to cover their shame and guilt - the clothing God made at their request was the false self and it destroyed the intimacy formerly shared between God and humanity.
I think you get the point I'm making even though you're taking an adversarial tone. Don't beat me over the head with your agreement and don't bring the animosity from other discussions to this one. It's a different discussion altogether. :rolleyes:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This Vale Of Tears said:
I think you get the point I'm making even though you're taking an adversarial tone. Don't beat me over the head with your agreement and don't bring the animosity from other discussions to this one. It's a different discussion altogether. :rolleyes:
No adversarial tone intended - I was speaking to a general audience.

Reactions: Shirley

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen said:
No adversarial tone intended - I was speaking to a general audience.
You flatter me.

110124725-cropped-568.jpg

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go ahead and mock, Vale. If I was speaking directly to you, I would tell you.

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Interesting thread, never given it any thought myself. I reckon if peoples testimonys about visiting Jesus in heaven are anything to go by, they would have certainly mentioned if we are all naked.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen said:
Go ahead and mock, Vale. If I was speaking directly to you, I would tell you.
There's that adversarial tone again and it's so unnecessary. We are pretty much agreed!

Concerning clothing, protection from the elements is about the only practical or legitimate reason to wear clothes. The other two reasons, human shame and social caste, indicate something wrong with us. Rarely does weather compel us to wear clothes, but we're so terrified of nudity that we demand nursing mothers use a "modesty cloth" and we blur out genitals or gluteal crevices from pictures or video footage. Such paranoia in any other aspect of life would indicate a serious mental illness, but not so when it comes to nudity.

It's why even when we picture ourselves in heaven, we imagine everyone fully clothed. I say we imagine otherwise. I say we anticipate that our minds will be freed from shame and a fallen human nature and that we will return to the innocence with which Adam and Eve were first created. There's just no logical reason why people need to wear clothes in heaven so I think it's very possible we won't.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Madad21 said:
Interesting thread, never given it any thought myself. I reckon if peoples testimonys about visiting Jesus in heaven are anything to go by, they would have certainly mentioned if we are all naked.
You see, that's where my problem lies. I consider many referrences to clothing in the afterlife but they all can just as easily be seen as symbolic. We will be clothed in light, righteousness, innocence, dignity, pick any metaphor. If God looked over all He created, including naked Adam and Eve, and saw that it was very good, then how does heaven improve upon that by draping its inhabitants as if they had something shameful to hide? Many argue, and rightly so, that the human body is beautiful and not obscene. How much more so when our bodies are glorified and conformed to Christ's glorious body? Could it be that our minds, just as reflexive to shun the shame of nakedness as Adam's was, just can't entertain the idea of being unclothed?

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Cool, then the first time I may meet you, we will both be in the nudd brother!! LOL

Dont look down. :p

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is random, and I apologize if it takes the thread off course - please just ignore it if it does. There was this horrific reality show in Japan in 2001, which was wildly popular. This guy was asked to live in this small house and earn his way out of the house by winning a certain amount of mail order prizes - publishers clearing house kind of stuff. He was told he could leave the house any time, but the catch was that he had to be naked the whole time. He did not know that he was being filmed live. He was told that he may be on tv years later or maybe not. The reason I bring this up is that the fact that the guy was naked psychologically imprisoned him until he earned his way out, which took a year and a half......the story continues, but it long. To sum up, the guy did not get free for about three years. During the interview I listened to, he is profoundly damaged and he actually has a physical problem wearing clothes because the nerves in his skin can no longer deal with clothing. It makes sense because we are wrapped in clothing the second we are born and wear them for the rest of our lives. It is actually hard to imagine spending eternity naked. Anyway, the story is awful, but really interesting - it reminds me of the Stanford prison experiment or the shock experiment. Dehumanizing and dependent on adherence to authority.

The guy is on YouTube - he is called eggplant because of the shape of his head - it is not for the weak of heart.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Sounds like conditioned agoraphobia.

Nudity is a topic of interest with my family because we are naturists, attend naturist events and retreats, and operate a clothing optional home. My (more liberal) wife was raised that way and has converted me to that way of living. The awkwardness, the shyness, it all goes away when one becomes accustomed to the lifestyle. It's because I believe our family is better off without the hangups and inhibitions that most always-clothed families deal with that I can picture heaven as a place where we leave behind the rags of our shame and see each other as truly beautiful.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Hey....if Ol Jack is goin to be naked in heaven.......I'm not sure anymore.....scared of that......Hmmmmmmmm....maybe...it's time to shut the book.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Thank you folks for caring!

The thread just reminded me of Isaiah in Isa.20, viz., foremost shame big time. I already put in my order for a new head of hair and teeth - tired of gumming my food...no more sexual organs...need to order clothes?...no... I don't think so.

Old Jack

24/7 RANDOR not a doubt you'll be wearing Christ's righteous robes if you don't get too religious on us.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
shturt678s said:
Thank you folks for caring!

The thread just reminded me of Isaiah in Isa.20, viz., foremost shame big time. I already put in my order for a new head of hair and teeth - tired of gumming my food...no more sexual organs...need to order clothes?...no... I don't think so.

Old Jack
That's it....I want out..........

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
RANDOR said:
That's it....I want out..........
Keep the faith, I have your back as long as you keep your clothes on. I'm wearing my clothes even in the crematory.

Old clothed Jack

btw liked your "optional" Vale

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
shturt678s said:
Keep the faith, I have your back as long as you keep your clothes on. I'm wearing my clothes even in the crematory.

Old clothed Jack
I was right in the middle of an exorcism.....and that thought with you and no clothes.......the demon and I both ran out the door.