Need help with medication advice

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am on a medication for my cystic fibrosis that helps slightly alleviate fatty liver problems. But it only slightly helps and my liver is fine. I just got my yearly labs and my vitamin A was 126 and a high value is 62 so it was way high. I did some research myself and think that could cause problems with my kidneys. My labs showed my kidneys were functioning OK though.

My doctor didn't advise me on potential problems associated with high vitamin A in my blood stream. I've since put a question to him regarding possible kidney complications and awaiting a reply.

My question is this, should I be concerned? I've decided to come off the med now and am currently detoxing.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am on a medication for my cystic fibrosis that helps slightly alleviate fatty liver problems. But it only slightly helps and my liver is fine. I just got my yearly labs and my vitamin A was 126 and a high value is 62 so it was way high. I did some research myself and think that could cause problems with my kidneys. My labs showed my kidneys were functioning OK though.

My doctor didn't advise me on potential problems associated with high vitamin A in my blood stream. I've since put a question to him regarding possible kidney complications and awaiting a reply.

My question is this, should I be concerned? I've decided to come off the med now and am currently detoxing.
Some years ago my wife had a skin cancer, and was recruited for a drug study. They were testing very high doses of Beta Carotene to combat cancer. It was a blind study, but when she started turning orange we knew she was getting it. She stayed on it for like 2 months, if I remember right. Then she turned back to her normal color, and the cancer was gone.

I don't remember how much they were giving to her, but it was enough to make her orange. The body converts Beta Carotene to Vit A, so I'm thinking that you can have a lot in you without trouble.

Purely anecdotal . . . don't mistake this for medical advice!

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some years ago my wife had a skin cancer, and was recruited for a drug study. They were testing very high doses of Beta Carotene to combat cancer. It was a blind study, but when she started turning orange we knew she was getting it. She stayed on it for like 2 months, if I remember right. Then she turned back to her normal color, and the cancer was gone.

I don't remember how much they were giving to her, but it was enough to make her orange. The body converts Beta Carotene to Vit A, so I'm thinking that you can have a lot in you without trouble.

Purely anecdotal . . . don't mistake this for medical advice!

Much love!
Wow that sounds like a lot. I did some research and vitamin A can interfere with kidney function so I'm a little skeptical of my doctors advice. I'm feeling like quitting a few things and returning to a better Christian lifestyle.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Too much vitamin A is bad for the kidneys = i have experienced this personally

Take Milk Thistle to detox your liver.

Have you ever researched 'colostrum'?

Vitamin C is essential for all health but do not take ascorbic acid.

BEST Vitamin C product on the market today is 'Billy's Infinity C'

Also - research the health benefits from 'collagen peptides'.

Peace

Reactions: dev553344

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Have you tried daily juicing from fresh vegetables?

My favorite juice is from carrots with some celery and ginger

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you tried daily juicing from fresh vegetables?

My favorite juice is from carrots with some celery and ginger
I'm more of a one a day vitamin guy cause I'm on a low budget and can't really afford fresh produce. But may be making a change soon.

• Love
Reactions: David in NJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too much vitamin A is bad for the kidneys = i have experienced this personally

Take Milk Thistle to detox your liver.

Have you ever researched 'colostrum'?

Vitamin C is essential for all health but do not take ascorbic acid.

BEST Vitamin C product on the market today is 'Billy's Infinity C'

Also - research the health benefits from 'collagen peptides'.

Peace
Can you elaborate on what happened, if you feel more comfortable you can PM me. But this is exactly what I was looking for, someone who's experienced this for themselves and can share what you know.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you elaborate on what happened, if you feel more comfortable you can PM me. But this is exactly what I was looking for, someone who's experienced this for themselves and can share what you know.
i was taking a vitamin A & D supplement and my kidneys started hurting.

So i dropped that product and now take straight Vit D and the kidney pain went away within 2 days.

Correction on V C = You can take Ascorbic Acid C but you should not exceed 2,000mg a day.

Affordable health that i take = i take a packet of Emergen-C with water and Collagen Peptides each day

i start my day with either Chlorella or Spirulina or a Green Powder such as 'Healthy Delights' Organic Greens(taste great).

Billy's Infinity C is great but also expensive so i take it only twice a week or everyday when i feel sick.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i was taking a vitamin A & D supplement and my kidneys started hurting.

So i dropped that product and now take straight Vit D and the kidney pain went away within 2 days.

Correction on V C = You can take Ascorbic Acid C but you should not exceed 2,000mg a day.

Affordable health that i take = i take a packet of Emergen-C with water and Collagen Peptides each day

i start my day with either Chlorella or Spirulina or a Green Powder such as 'Healthy Delights' Organic Greens(taste great).

Billy's Infinity C is great but also expensive so i take it only twice a week or everyday when i feel sick.
Thanks for the info. I had to take a vitamin D supplement for a while. I quit taking my one a day and my vit D got too low for too long. But since then now I'm back on a one a day pill.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i always had kidney issues where i could not drink
Thanks for the info. I had to take a vitamin D supplement for a while. I quit taking my one a day and my vit D got too low for too long. But since then now I'm back on a one a day pill.
For most of my life i was unable to take a multi-v as it would hurt my kidneys

• Sad

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i always had kidney issues where i could not drink

For most of my life i was unable to take a multi-v as it would hurt my kidneys
Sorry to hear that. Sounds a bit different than mine perhaps. I've been having flank pain so I think that is my back. But I got a few rounds of nausea that were strange and stomach upset. I think it was related to the A vitamin problem.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that. Sounds a bit different than mine perhaps. I've been having flank pain so I think that is my back. But I got a few rounds of nausea that were strange and stomach upset. I think it was related to the A vitamin problem.
i just noticed that i did not finish my sentence = could not drink tea or coffee

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah know I think I'm having kidney pain. Both sides mid back. But I think I'm OK cause my labs were OK, but wow, not good.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote/recorded a song about meds.
Here are the lyrics. Audio link at the bottom.

Title: 20 Pills (a day)
Track Time: 04:12 / BPM: 112

VS 1
Climb this mountain -
this mountain of pills
My life will be found -
on the other side

Pink, white, and yellow -
just to make me mellow
Some days I just want to -
run and hide

CHORUS
20 pills a day -
and counting
All the while my doctor bills -
are mounting
I'm full of pills -
for all kinds of ills
Surprised that I don't
rattle when I walk

VS 2
Climb this mountain -
mountain of prescriptions
Each one taken -
to manage my afflictions

I get these meds -
to deal with all my trouble
It's hard to keep up -
take my pills with a shovel

BRIDGE
Take that one for this -
and this one for that
This one when I rise -
that one before my nap
The yellow one before a meal -
the pink one so I don't feel
Surprised I can get anything done

VS 3
Who can keep track of
all these meds?
And carefully follow -
what my doctor says

The view from this mountain top
to the valley below
keeps me safe from where
the deep dark shadows grow

CHORUS/ENDING

© Steve Lundgren 2018
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522%2F20-pills-a-day-rescript

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote/recorded a song about meds.
Here are the lyrics. Audio link at the bottom.

Title: 20 Pills (a day)
Track Time: 04:12 / BPM: 112

VS 1
Climb this mountain -
this mountain of pills
My life will be found -
on the other side

Pink, white, and yellow -
just to make me mellow
Some days I just want to -
run and hide

CHORUS
20 pills a day -
and counting
All the while my doctor bills -
are mounting
I'm full of pills -
for all kinds of ills
Surprised that I don't
rattle when I walk

VS 2
Climb this mountain -
mountain of prescriptions
Each one taken -
to manage my afflictions

I get these meds -
to deal with all my trouble
It's hard to keep up -
take my pills with a shovel

BRIDGE
Take that one for this -
and this one for that
This one when I rise -
that one before my nap
The yellow one before a meal -
the pink one so I don't feel
Surprised I can get anything done

VS 3
Who can keep track of
all these meds?
And carefully follow -
what my doctor says

The view from this mountain top
to the valley below
keeps me safe from where
the deep dark shadows grow

CHORUS/ENDING

© Steve Lundgren 2018
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522%2F20-pills-a-day-rescript
Well at first I just trusted the doctors advice. One time the Holy Spirit clearly told me to see the doctor when I had delusions, they put me on meds for schizophrenia which was good. But lately the doctors have been prescribing meds for every little thing. And I won't take meds unless it's super important. They kinda get upset but hey it's my body. Something Biden didn't seem to understand all to well when he mandated vaccines and such. Man, now I'm just down to one pill a day again. Feels good.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well at first I just trusted the doctors advice. One time the Holy Spirit clearly told me to see the doctor when I had delusions, they put me on meds for schizophrenia which was good. But lately the doctors have been prescribing meds for every little thing. And I won't take meds unless it's super important. They kinda get upset but hey it's my body. Something Biden didn't seem to understand all to well when he mandated vaccines and such. Man, now I'm just down to one pill a day again. Feels good.
Down to one pill a day, that's great.

I wrote this song as a challenge from a friend of mine.
He was lamenting about taking 20 pills a day.

He actually said to me, "Write a song about that!" - LOL
Initially I didn't think I would. But then lyrical ideas started coming.
So, I wrote the song in the first person, as if I was the one taking the 20 pills a day. (and counting)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm out of the woods now and I think the withdrawals are over with. It feels good to be back to just my one pill a day.

The doctor never responded to my question about possible kidney complications from having high vitamin A, so I'll take that as a yes.