New Recruits

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
I have been thinking about this lately, so I will ask here..

If someone were to have a friend in real life or even a Facebook friend that is not a believer, but you feel as though some of their views align with Christian views, where do you draw the line?

2 Corinthians 6:14 leaves some of my questions unanswered.

For example, I had a friend/co-worker, now just a Facebook acquaintance, that I feel is a decent person but who is agnostic and swears too much, drinks heavily and is too political for me. Which is why we kinda drifted apart, I think. Deep down I know he is a good guy because of his morality and generosity to others. I guess I have this thing where I feel like people just need to be helped along in the right direction towards Christ.

I know trying to change people can be a lost cause if they don't desire it for themselves, but I also know that some people are afraid/don't know how to change and need to see an example. Sometimes I cringe and head for the "block" button on Facebook after some of the things I see him post, but lately, I keep seeing things from him that re-inflate that "maybe" floating around in the back of my head.

Although I still need to grow in Christ myself, I feel like I may be the only person visible to him as a reflection of Christianity, which is another reason I still hold on.

I guess I am looking for the word "darkness" to be defined a little more in depth..

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is just my point of view... The Bible says we are the salt of the earth. When you read matthew 5:13 you may not get what I do out of it, but I look at what salt does. To me, it makes you thirsty. It does flavor things but the reaction is that you get thirsty. People get salty once they've taken it in, and salt doesn't have to do anything after that. Thirstyness is a natural reaction. So don't lose your "saltiness".

But we are also told not to cast our pearils before swine.

In short, don't push him.... "Be salty" and let him come. But don't be so forcible that you drive him away. Many Christians, well meaning, go knocking door to door on Saturday mornings or afteroons wanting to talk and convert people. I can see the reasoning behind it and even the biblical support, but what they end up doing is causing resent. I always talk to them.... But many hate to be bothered. See, salt doesn't need to go door to door. It just sits there and waits for you to pick it up. I'm not knocking those who hit the pavement for Christ.... It's honorable and biblical. I just feel there's a better way.

However, tell this agnositc (which if you are using the term correctly, he doesn't discredit God or credit God.... He just doesn't know), some wild thing right off the bat, and you'll drive him away.

So just be you.... "Salty"! In some lingo that sounds like a bad thing, but just let your light shine. He'll come and ask why you are always so joyfull. He knows you are Christian, Right? So when you wake up and say "this is the day that the Lord hath made, I will be glad and rejoice in it!" and really mean it, He'll start asking questions why you are always so victorious or at least act like you are.

And eventually, you'll be able to show him that pearl of great price that you were told not to cast before him!

Or, you simply treat him as a good, descent human and hope one day you can call him a true brother.

Reactions: Redeemed86

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I have friends that are bona fide rock stars (you will have heard of him if you followed the Bon Jovi tour this year). I have friends that are gay, atheist, agnostic, *gasp* Catholic, Pentecostal, Calvinist, humanist, democrat, Republican, male, female, transgendered, young, old, divorced, pastors, criminals, co-workers, competitors, acquaintances, life long friends, politicians, businessmen, retired, in school, disabled, athletes.

I see no difference in them since my Lord saw no difference in them; all of them needed a Savior. Some I have shared the Gospel, some I am living the Gospel, and to others I am discipling the Gospel.

There is no darkness when I am around because the light of the Holy Spirit is in me and it is He who illuminates, and His light can not be quenched even though one day mine will be.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
I have been thinking about this lately, so I will ask here..

If someone were to have a friend in real life or even a Facebook friend that is not a believer, but you feel as though some of their views align with Christian views, where do you draw the line?

2 Corinthians 6:14 leaves some of my questions unanswered.

For example, I had a friend/co-worker, now just a Facebook acquaintance, that I feel is a decent person but who is agnostic and swears too much, drinks heavily and is too political for me. Which is why we kinda drifted apart, I think. Deep down I know he is a good guy because of his morality and generosity to others. I guess I have this thing where I feel like people just need to be helped along in the right direction towards Christ.

I know trying to change people can be a lost cause if they don't desire it for themselves, but I also know that some people are afraid/don't know how to change and need to see an example. Sometimes I cringe and head for the "block" button on Facebook after some of the things I see him post, but lately, I keep seeing things from him that re-inflate that "maybe" floating around in the back of my head.

Although I still need to grow in Christ myself, I feel like I may be the only person visible to him as a reflection of Christianity, which is another reason I still hold on.

I guess I am looking for the word "darkness" to be defined a little more in depth..

Redeemed...The following is my 2 cents and mostly my opinion gleaned form decades of walking with the Lord. Some may disagree, and that's fine, however each persons walk is an individual one between them and God. Having said that...

IMO...biggandyy is spot on.

Jesus was a fine example, he had an inner circle of believers but did not hesitate to have dinner with the unsaved. He made wine at the wedding when many had already had too much to drink, all the while maintaining HIS integrity and witness. He came to minister to sinners and bring them into his saving grace. That's what the great commission is all about. It is just as important for you to make sure you too have an "inner circle" of believers on whom you can rely on for prayerful support and fellowship.

I have many unsaved people in my life from all walks of life. Many have watched my trials, failures and victories over the years.

Where the danger, and responsibility, lies is keeping yourself strong in YOUR walk. God will not play games with your salvation and if you ever feel your spiritual life faltering because of these relationships...Run...Straight into the arms of God and stay put unless, and until, you feel the calling to continue on.

As far as the scripture you referenced...There is a big difference between being a friend and witness (through your life) to someone that is an unbeliever and being "yoked" TO them. Likewise, there is a big difference between maintaining your witness and condoning their sin.

There is a great book - Beyond Opinion by Ravi Zacharias - that has some wonderful guidance in dealing with unbelievers in an immersed ministry. One of the things that he advocates is that for every hour you spend with an unbeliever, whether they be agnostic, atheist, Muslim, Buddhist, etc...Is to spend 3 times that amount of time with the Lord for rest and rebuilding. Not all are called to this type of ministry and it can be very draining...Which, again, is critical to have an inner circle.

Bottom line though...Your walk is exactly that...Your walk. Seeking advice/discussion with other believers is important and equally important is taking that advice before the Lord and seeking his wisdom on processing it...IOW...Testing the spirit. Most people draw on their own life experience and/or "book learning", and what is right for some may not be right for others, or may not be the direction God is taking them.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good answer B.A. (your friends call you that.... So may I?)! Like your style! I just ain't friends of the devil!

Redeemed...The following is my 2 cents and mostly my opinion gleaned form decades of walking with the Lord. Some may disagree, and that's fine, however each persons walk is an individual one between them and God. Having said that...

IMO...biggandyy is spot on.

Jesus was a fine example, he had an inner circle of believers but did not hesitate to have dinner with the unsaved. He made wine at the wedding when many had already had too much to drink, all the while maintaining HIS integrity and witness.
Yea... Never looked at that this way.... They were already well drunk, but Jesus made more and better wine! I'm not advocating drunkeness, but it happened and Jesus made the ultimate beer run! (term from my college days...)

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Good answer B.A. (your friends call you that.... So may I?)! Like your style! I just ain't friends of the devil!

Yea... Never looked at that this way.... They were already well drunk, but Jesus made more and better wine! I'm not advocating drunkeness, but it happened and Jesus made the ultimate beer run! (term from my college days...)

Agreed. There is always more to be learned from an example/experience than the surface of the example/experience itself.
ja2.gif

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
Thanks, everyone, for all the great advice and suggestions. I see the central message in all of your posts and will ask God to grant me the wisdom to know what to say/do to draw him without compromise on my part.

Appreciate it :).

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. :)

We plant the seeds, God gives the increase.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I would say pray for this person and wait for God to open a door. God will know when the time is right and what you should say. I used to run around trying to save everyone and it was me doing it. Now I wait on the Lord.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. There is always more to be learned from an example/experience than the surface of the example/experience itself.
ja2.gif
Remarkable story, the Wedding, isn't it? I praise God that I learned learned something new through you about this fascinating event!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Remarkable story, the Wedding, isn't it? I praise God that I learned learned something new through you about this fascinating event!

Like you I do not support, or condone, drunkenness, however, something else I picked up from this...

Then, as now, the very best was served at the wedding celebration...IOW...What they had served was not "Boones Farm Wild Mountain Grape". :rolleyes: ANYHOW...No matter how good people may think they have it, or how intoxicated they are with the world and its trappings, NOTHING compares to what Jesus has to offer. What he provides is far superior to anything man can conjure up.

OOOOO...Sometimes I give myself "goosebumps".
smilie_girl_252-1.gif

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Redeemed...May I just make an suggestion, do not block them, you are a true friend when you can, be yourself and show Christ without any opinions to them of their habits of drinking, swearing or their political opinions....Sometimes we are the only true friend to others, sometimes we are the only ones they can turn to in a crisis, for they know we accept them as they are...Pray for the eyes of Christ and look at them as the are the Lord Jesus Himself...When we can stop and remember God made us all in His image, and we are actual looking at what He looks like....We seem to change our ways of talking to people...I look at the drug addict as if I was looking at Christ, praying for His love to shine forth out of me to them, I look at the thief the same way...I hope one day we can all see people in the image of God, and just pray and love them for that is His way....