Nondenominational Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - you're missing the point.

Bede made a mistake.
Hislop wrote an entire book FILLED with errors and inventions of his OWN making. In other words - LIES.

Absolutely FALSE! It is not inventions of his own making. He is reporting what people believed. Basically you are making the same mistake these so called "serious historians" are making. You are trying to kill the messenger (Hislop).

It's ok not to agree with his conclusions, but no... They aren't inventions of his own making. They are "errors" simply because he is talking about mythology which is false.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely FALSE! It is not inventions of his own making. He is reporting what people believed. Basically you are making the same mistake these so called "serious historians" are making. You are trying to kill the messenger (Hislop).

It's ok not to agree with his conclusions, but no... They aren't inventions of his own making. They are "errors" simply because he is talking about mythology which is false.
Hislop was NOT simply a “messenger”. His steaming pile of manure, “The Two Babylons”, is filled with HIS theories and HIS conclusions about the origins of the Catholic Church.

HIS amalgamations of different beliefs and theories led him to write the filthy LIE that Nimrod and Semiramis were married – even though they lived in different centuries.

He wrote that:
- The “Catholic” doctrine of the Trinity was of PAGAN origin – ignoring the fact that it is taught in Scripture (Matt. 28:19, 2 Cor. 13:14).

- The representation of Mary being the Mother of God is of PAGAN origin – – ignoring the fact that it is taught in Scripture (Luke 1:43).

- The Catholic Church is a revival of the worship of Nimrod and Semiramis.

The subtitle of his book is: “The Papal Worship Proved to be the Worship of Nimrod and his Wife”
This is in itself a gigantic LIE.

Passing on lies does NOT exonerate you - it maakes you just as guilty as the person who started the lie. Hislop doesn't get a pass here.

NO dates, NO documentation, NO historical substantiation - NO proof of ANY kind.
Just empty, impotent accusations.
This man was a LIAR of the worst sort – and NOT simply a “messenger” as YOU falsely claim.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIS amalgamations of different beliefs and theories led him to write the filthy LIE that Nimrod and Semiramis were married – even though they lived in different centuries
And this is where you are makibg the same mistake as the so called "serious historians".

Let me put it this way: the story goes that the GODESS Semiramis married the GOD Nimrod and had a GOD child named Tammuz. Now of course this is false. Why do you believe it to be false? Because they lived in different centuries? I believe its false because they aren't dieties to begin with!

Whether its true or not (and it most certainly is false) is irrelevant. Hislop was reporting on the beliefs people had and not that they were true!

I looked into it and Hislop is correct in his writing. Sources outside his own writing have linked them, though very loosely and the myths differ.

Tammuz is thought to be one of Semiremis' husbands as well as a son of hers in other accounts. Another husband of hers is thought to be Ninas who built Ninavah. Totally a man in legends rather than there being evidence of him being real. But one of the people thought to be him is indeed Nimrod.

But you want to argue about a timeline of mythology? My point is that this isn't made up by Hislop. He makes conclusions based on these myths but the myths certainly aren't his. If you don't like the conclusion, fine. But saying he made up the myth itself is most likely not true.

Serious historians don't make that mistake.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I looked into it and Hislop is correct in his writing.
Hislop did an excellent job with the resources he had. But because his book was so close to the truth, there was a massive attempt by the Catholic Church to debunk and dismiss The Two Babylons (of which I have a copy). Had Protestants being paying attention to what he wrote, we would not have seen the Ecumenism that arose in the 20th century.

Reactions: brakelite and FHII

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is where you are makibg the same mistake as the so called "serious historians".

Let me put it this way: the story goes that the GODESS Semiramis married the GOD Nimrod and had a GOD child named Tammuz. Now of course this is false. Why do you believe it to be false? Because they lived in different centuries? I believe its false because they aren't dieties to begin with!

Whether its true or not (and it most certainly is false) is irrelevant. Hislop was reporting on the beliefs people had and not that they were true!

I looked into it and Hislop is correct in his writing. Sources outside his own writing have linked them, though very loosely and the myths differ.

Tammuz is thought to be one of Semiremis' husbands as well as a son of hers in other accounts. Another husband of hers is thought to be Ninas who built Ninavah. Totally a man in legends rather than there being evidence of him being real. But one of the people thought to be him is indeed Nimrod.

But you want to argue about a timeline of mythology? My point is that this isn't made up by Hislop. He makes conclusions based on these myths but the myths certainly aren't his. If you don't like the conclusion, fine. But saying he made up the myth itself is most likely not true.

Serious historians don't make that mistake.
SOMEBODY forgot to tell Hislop . . .

From Wikipedia:
The book The Two Babylons (1853), by the Christian minister Alexander Hislop, was particularly influential in characterizing of Semiramis as associated with the Whore of Babylon despite a lack of supporting evidence in the Bible.[11] Hislop claimed that Semiramis invented polytheism and, with it, goddess worship.[37] He also claimed that the Catholic Church was a millennia-old secret conspiracy, founded by Semiramis and the Biblical king Nimrod to propagate the pagan religion of ancient Babylon.[38]

But - according to YOU - he's just a "messenger" . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hislop did an excellent job with the resources he had. But because his book was so close to the truth, there was a massive attempt by the Catholic Church to debunk and dismiss The Two Babylons (of which I have a copy). Had Protestants being paying attention to what he wrote, we would not have seen the Ecumenism that arose in the 20th century.
He was a hack and his shoddy "history" ia laughable.
He has been debunked by many credible scholars - as I have shown . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the same Wikipedia article:
Critics dismissed Hislop's speculations as based on misunderstandings.[38][39] Lester L. Grabbe has claimed Hislop's argument, particularly his association of Ninus with Nimrod, is based on a misunderstanding of historical Babylon and its religion.[38]
Grabbe criticized Hislop for portraying Semiramis as Nimrod's consort, despite that she has not been found in a single text associated with him,[38] and for portraying her as the "mother of harlots", even though this is not how she is depicted in any of the texts where she is mentioned.[38] Ralph Woodrow has stated that Alexander Hislop "picked, chose and mixed" portions of various myths from different cultures.[42]

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree... I do have a question.... Did Hislop leave any kind of bibliography? I can't find one... It would been useful.

Its really not hard to find evidence that he was on to something in this day. Without a doubt, he didn't write the mythology. He makes conclusions and gives a theory as to the word origin of "Easter". Well, theories are just that. But I have yet to see a more reasonable theory come forth.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the same Wikipedia article:
Critics dismissed Hislop's speculations as based on misunderstandings.[38][39] Lester L. Grabbe has claimed Hislop's argument, particularly his association of Ninus with Nimrod, is based on a misunderstanding of historical Babylon and its religion.[38]
Grabbe criticized Hislop for portraying Semiramis as Nimrod's consort, despite that she has not been found in a single text associated with him,[38] and for portraying her as the "mother of harlots", even though this is not how she is depicted in any of the texts where she is mentioned.[38] Ralph Woodrow has stated that Alexander Hislop "picked, chose and mixed" portions of various myths from different cultures.[42]
Right BOL. That is exactly what I am talking about. In that listing you have 3 sources referenced. Lets deal with the latter two. I checked them. The both reference Lester Grabbe. Woodrow goes a bit further with his own rantings without reference. So the only real reference is Grabbe.

I did the unthinkable. .. I checked what wrote and he offers no reference himself. Oh, he has footnotes... But they aren't references. They are just more of his own rantings.

So Grabbe has nothing and the other two just quoted him. But do you know what Grabbe did confirm? He confirmed that Hislop was right about Ninus. He just made the mistake in thinking Hislop believed it was true. The same thing you did! Of course its a myth and thus, not true.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did Hislop leave any kind of bibliography?
His footnotes are his bibliography (if I recall), and chances are most of those sources would be out of print and many would be in Latin. Here's an example (discussing Lady-Day):

The consideration of the next great festival in the Popish calendar gives the very strongest confirmation to what has now been said. That festival, called Lady-day, is celebrated at Rome on the 25th of March, in alleged commemoration of the miraculous conception of our Lord in the womb of the Virgin, on the day when the angel was sent to announce to her the distinguished honour that was to be bestowed upon her as the mother of the Messiah. But who could tell when this annunciation was made? The Scripture gives no clue at all in regard to the time. But it mattered not. But our Lord was either conceived or born, that very day now set down in the Popish calendar for the "Annunciation of the Virgin" was observed in Pagan Rome in honour of Cybele, the Mother of the Babylonian Messiah. *

* AMMIANUS MARCELLINUS, and MACROB., Sat. The fact stated in the paragraph above casts light on a festival held in Egypt, of which no satisfactory account has yet been given. That festival was held in commemoration of "the entrance of Osiris into the moon." Now, Osiris, like Surya in India, was just the Sun. (PLUTARCH, De Iside et Osiride) The moon, on the other hand, though most frequently the symbol of the god Hermes or Thoth, was also the symbol of the goddess Isis, the queen of heaven. The learned Bunsen seems to dispute this; but his own admissions show that he does so without reason. And Jeremiah 44:17 seems decisive on the subject. The entrance of Osiris into the moon, then, was just the sun's being conceived by Isis, the queen of heaven, that, like the Indian Surya, he might in due time be born as the grand deliverer. Hence the very name Osiris; for, as Isis is the Greek form of H'isha, "the woman," so Osiris, as read at this day on the Egyptian monuments, is He-siri, "the seed." It is no objection to this to say that Osiris is commonly represented as the husband of Isis; for, as we have seen already, Osiris is at once the son and husband of his mother. Now, this festival took place in Egypt generally in March, just as Lady-day, or the first great festival of Cybele, was held in the same month in Pagan Rome. We have seen that the common title of Cybele at Rome was Domina, or "the lady" (OVID, Fasti), as in Babylon it was Beltis (EUSEB. Praep. Evang.), and from this, no doubt, comes the name "Lady-day" as it has descended to us.

Reactions: brakelite and FHII

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right BOL. That is exactly what I am talking about. In that listing you have 3 sources referenced. Lets deal with the latter two. I checked them. The both reference Lester Grabbe. Woodrow goes a bit further with his own rantings without reference. So the only real reference is Grabbe.

I did the unthinkable. .. I checked what wrote and he offers no reference himself. Oh, he has footnotes... But they aren't references. They are just more of his own rantings.

So Grabbe has nothing and the other two just quoted him. But do you know what Grabbe did confirm? He confirmed that Hislop was right about Ninus. He just made the mistake in thinking Hislop believed it was true. The same thing you did! Of course its a myth and thus, not true.
In other words, it doesn't matter WHO debunks Hislop - as long as gullible people like you and Enoch111 can keep his manure from falling through the cracks of credibe scholarship.

You are TEXTBOOK examples of ignorant anti-Catholicism . . .

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words, it doesn't matter WHO debunks Hislop - as long as gullible people like you and Enoch111 can keep his manure from falling through the cracks of credibe scholarship.

You are TEXTBOOK examples of ignorant anti-Catholicism . . .
I have said nothing anti-Catholic, BOL.

So Nick, I do not agree with you that he has been debunked and I do not agree with you that they are credible scholars. You simply have one person who says Hislop was wrong (without proving it) and two others agreeing with him. That's not debunking and that's not credible scholastics.

Reactions: brakelite

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have said nothing anti-Catholic, BOL.

So Nick, I do not agree with you that he has been debunked and I do not agree with you that they are credible scholars. You simply have one person who says Hislop was wrong (without proving it) and two others agreeing with him. That's not debunking and that's not credible scholastics.
That’s just it. NOTHING is “credible” enough for you when it comes to debunking Hislop’s lies and fairy tales.

Instead of addressing the LIES themselves – you try to discredit the scholar who is writing about them. Try addressing the POINTS below:

Ralph Woodrow
1.)
While seeking to condemn the paganism of Roman Catholicism, Hislop produced his own myths. By so doing, he theorized that Nimrod, Adonis, Apollo, Attes, Baal-zebub, Bacchus, Cupid, Dagon, Hercules, Januis, Linus, Lucifer, Mars, Merodach, Mithra, Moloch, Narcissus, Oannes, Odin, Orion, Osiris, Pluto, Saturn, Teitan, Typhon, Vulcan, Wodan, and Zoroaster WERE ALL ONE AND THE SAME. By mixing myths, Hislop supposed that Semiramis was the wife of Nimrod and was the SAME as Aphrodite, Artemis, Astarte, Aurora, Bellona, Ceres, Diana, Easter, Irene, Iris, Juno, Mylitta, Proserpine, Rhea, Venus, and Vesta.

2.) Hislop says, for example, that the “round” wafer used in the Roman Catholic mass came from Egyptian paganism. For this he cites a statement in Wilkinson’s Ancient Egyptians (vol. 5, 353, 365) about the use of thin round cakes on their altars. When I checked Wilkinson’s work, however, he also said the Egyptians used OVAL AND TRIANGULAR CAKES; folded cakes; cakes shaped like leaves, animals, and a crocodile’s head; and so on. Hislop failed to even mention this.

3.) While condemning round communion wafers as images of the sun-god Baal, Hislop fails to mention that THE VERY MANNA GIVEN BY THE LORD WAS ROUND. “Upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing….And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the Lord hath given you to eat” (Exod. 16:14–15, KJV, emphasis added). Round is not necessarily pagan.

4.) Hislop taught that Tammuz (whom he says was Nimrod) was born on December 25, and this is the origin of the date on which Christmas is observed. Yet his supposed proof for this is taken out of context. Having taught that Isis and her infant son Horus were the Egyptian version of Semiramis and her son Tammuz, he cites a reference that the son of Isis was born “about the time of the winter solstice.” When we actually look up the reference he gives for this (Wilkinson’s Ancient Egyptians, vol. 4, 405), the son of Isis who was born “about the time of the winter solstice” was not Horus, her older son, but Harpocrates. The reference also explains this was a premature birth, causing him to be lame, and that the Egyptians celebrated the feast of his mother’s delivery in spring. Taken in context, this has nothing to do with a December celebration or with Christmas as it is known today.

5.) In another appeal to Wilkinson, Hislop says that a Lent of 40 days was observed in Egypt. But when we look up the reference, Wilkinson says Egyptian fasts “lasted from seven to forty-two days, and sometimes even a longer period: during which time they abstained entirely from animal food, from herbs and vegetables, and above all from the indulgence of the passions” (Wilkinson, Ancient Egyptians, vol. 1, 278). With as much credibility, we could say they fasted 7 days, 10 days, 12 days, or 42 days. Hislop’s claim appears to have validity only because he used partial information.

From Wikipedia:
6.) The book has been severely criticized for its lack of evidence, and in many cases its contradiction of the existing evidence: for instance, the Roman state religion before Christianity did not worship a central Mother Goddess, and Jupiter was never called "Jupiter-Puer." Likewise, Semiramis lived centuries after Nimrod, and could neither have been his mother, nor married him.

7.) Hislop also makes unacceptable linguistic connections and fanciful word plays, e.g. the letters IHS on Catholic Holy Communion wafers are alleged to stand for Egyptian deities Isis, Horus and Seth, but in reality they are an abbreviation for Ihsous, the Latin spelling of Jesus's name in Greek (Ιησους), although popularly, they stand for the Latin Iesus Hominum Salvator meaning Jesus, Savior of Mankind (which also fits the teaching of Transubstantiation, where the wafer and wine are said to become the body and blood of Christ).” (Source: Wikipedia article, Alexander Hislop. Alexander Hislop - Wikipedia)

From Wikipedia:
8.) The book The Two Babylons (1853), by the Christian minister Alexander Hislop, was particularly influential in characterizing of Semiramis as associated with the Whore of Babylon despite a lack of supporting evidence in the Bible.[11] Hislop claimed that Semiramis invented polytheism and, with it, goddess worship.[37] He also claimed that the Catholic Church was a millennia-old secret conspiracy, founded by Semiramis and the Biblical king Nimrod to propagate the pagan religion of ancient Babylon.[38]

From Wikipedia:
9.) Critics dismissed Hislop's speculations as based on misunderstandings.[38][39] Lester L. Grabbe has claimed Hislop's argument, particularly his association of Ninus with Nimrod, is based on a misunderstanding of historical Babylon and its religion.[38]

Grabbe criticized Hislop for portraying Semiramis as Nimrod's consort, despite that she has not been found in a single text associated with him,
[38] and for portraying her as the "mother of harlots", even though this is not how she is depicted in any of the texts where she is mentioned.[38] Ralph Woodrow has stated that Alexander Hislop "picked, chose and mixed" portions of various myths from different cultures.[42]

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a non denominational bible only Christian. I reject all denominations and their creeds.

Christ and the apostles never encourage such things. In fact, Paul condemned it.

So I cannot the protestant or a catholic. I am a Christian.

Society is in love with hyphenated people. No hyphen here.

What are you?
What is a "bible only Christian?

Don't all Christians follow the bible?

Mary

Reactions: Dave L

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s just it. NOTHING is “credible” enough for you when it comes to debunking Hislop’s lies and fairy tales.
That's because they don't actually prove Hislop produced the myths. They just say he did. They simply just say he mixed them together and misunderstood. They didn't show how in the text I read.

Hislops claim relies on the phenomenon of cultural diffysion. ALL historians who are credible acknowledge cultural diffusion, even as it pertains to religion. Now I have said this before... Hislop has a theory. Theories cannot be taken as undeniable truths. Personally I have not seen any evidence that would cause me to disregard his theory.

By the way... I am not tackling his whole book. I am sticking with this particular subject which happens to be solely the origin of the word Easter. If you wantto discuss everything Hislop wrote, you will be doing it without me.

So once again, I haven't said anything anti catholic. I provided a critical analysis of the rebuttals to Hislop's work and found shortcomings in them.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's because they don't actually prove Hislop produced the myths. They just say he did. They simply just say he mixed them together and misunderstood. They didn't show how in the text I read.

Hislops claim relies on the phenomenon of cultural diffysion. ALL historians who are credible acknowledge cultural diffusion, even as it pertains to religion. Now I have said this before... Hislop has a theory. Theories cannot be taken as undeniable truths. Personally I have not seen any evidence that would cause me to disregard his theory.

By the way... I am not tackling his whole book. I am sticking with this particular subject which happens to be solely the origin of the word Easter. If you wantto discuss everything Hislop wrote, you will be doing it without me.

So once again, I haven't said anything anti catholic. I provided a critical analysis of the rebuttals to Hislop's work and found shortcomings in them.
When a person writes a supposedly historical account – they are held to the standard of history, linguistics and archeology that they are writing about. Hislop wrote things in his book that are simply fairy tales and outright lies.

For example, his entire point about the “IHS” on the Eucharist being an acronym for “Isis, Horus and Seth” is an ASININE charge - and EASILY debunkable. EVERY credible historian knows that it is simply an abbreviation for “Ihsous”, the Latin spelling of Jesus's name.

When a “historian” resorts to LYING in his research – the rest of his work is suspect. Woodrow and many other scholars have picked his book apart and listed Hislop’s lies, myths and fairy tales. YOU simply refuse to admit that he was wrong because you don’t want to LOSE an argument.

That’s YOUR problem – NOT mine . . .

Finally - when you support anti-Catholic manure like that of Alexander Hislop - you ARE anti-Catholic.

Reactions: Marymog

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a person writes a supposedly historical account – they are held to the standard of history, linguistics and archeology that they are writing about. Hislop wrote things in his book that are simply fairy tales and outright lies.

For example, his entire point about the “IHS” on the Eucharist being an acronym for “Isis, Horus and Seth” is an ASININE charge - and EASILY debunkable. EVERY credible historian knows that it is simply an abbreviation for “Ihsous”, the Latin spelling of Jesus's name.

When a “historian” resorts to LYING in his research – the rest of his work is suspect. Woodrow and many other scholars have picked his book apart and listed Hislop’s lies, myths and fairy tales. YOU simply refuse to admit that he was wrong because you don’t want to LOSE an argument.

That’s YOUR problem – NOT mine . . .

Finally - when you support anti-Catholic manure like that of Alexander Hislop - you ARE anti-Catholic.
Staying out of the IHS issue. I will point out the Eagle on the Pope's staff is a pagan Roman Legion god

His title and garb are also pagan Roman.

The College of Cardinals comes from Roman pagan College of Pontiffs.

Holy water, prayer beads, Mary worship, praying to Catholic saints and a lot more also come from pagan sources.

That Big Stone in front of the Vatican is an Egyptian phallic symbol.

Easter is the absorbed worship of Ishtar into Catholicism.

Christmas also comes from paganism.

Just don't want anybody to get the mistaken idea Catholicism is actually Christian.

In fact they used to worship the sun as the son.

The Bible, especially in revelations has no love of Catholicism.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Staying out of the IHS issue. I will point out the Eagle on the Pope's staff is a pagan Roman Legion god

His title and garb are also pagan Roman.

The College of Cardinals comes from Roman pagan College of Pontiffs.

Holy water, prayer beads, Mary worship, praying to Catholic saints and a lot more also come from pagan sources.

That Big Stone in front of the Vatican is an Egyptian phallic symbol.

Easter is the absorbed worship of Ishtar into Catholicism.

Christmas also comes from paganism.

Just don't want anybody to get the mistaken idea Catholicism is actually Christian.

In fact they used to worship the sun as the son.

The Bible, especially in revelations has no love of Catholicism.
Huh....I thought Christmas was the celebration of CHRIST(mas) birth?

Is it wrong to celebrate a birthday?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It isn't his birthday. Christ was probably born in September.

Catholics adopted the festival of Saturnalia and called it Christmas.
Lol.....Read what I wrote...not what you think I wrote....

I thought Christmas was the celebration of CHRIST(mas) birth?

Is it wrong to celebrate a birthday?

Mary