Not by works - but by faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I quoted 1 verse and you were right to say there is more to salvation than believing. Here are 10 steps that require a change of heart. First we need to :-

1.) Hear the “good news” (i.e. the gospel) of Jesus Christ (Romans 10:14)

2.) Realize we are a sinner. “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).

3.) Have faith.
Hebrews 11:6; “without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
Acts 8:37; Mark 16:16; John 8:24)

4.) Repent of our sins.
(Luke 13:3,5; Acts 2:38; Mark 10:15)
My friend, “God . . . commandeth all men everywhere to repent” (Acts 17:30). This repentance is a change of mind that agrees with God that one is a sinner, and also agrees with what Jesus did for us on the Cross.

“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:13).

5.) Confess faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 8:36-37; Romans 10:9)

In Acts 16:30-31, the Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas: “ . . . ‘Sirs, what must I do to be saved?’ And they said, ‘Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved . . . .’ ”

6.) Put our trust in Jesus.
“But God loved you so much He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus, to bear your sin and die in your place. “ . . . He hath made Him [Jesus, Who knew no sin] to be sin for us . . . that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Jesus had to shed His blood and die. “For the life of the flesh is in the blood” (Lev. 17:11). “ . . . without shedding of blood is no remission [pardon]” (Hebrews 9:22).

“ . . . God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8).

“But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name” (John 1:12).

7.) Believe Jesus Christ is the son of God. “So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?” Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?” Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”
And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

8.) Be baptized (in water) for the forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:37-41; 1Peter 3:21; John 3:3-5; Acts 22:16; Romans 6:3-8; Colossians 2:12; Galatians 3:26-27; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 8:34-39; Titus 3:5; Ephesians 4:5)

9.) Follow Jesus for the rest of your life. (No falling away. Growing cold would not be backsliding.)

10.) The promise.
“But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name” (John 1:12).

I find it odd some would call this adding to Jesus, when this is simply following Jesus.
For me its like getting a poster about a concert and then claiming you have gone and experienced everything when you have only the advertising to the event.

Taking away from the cross is the power He has in our hearts, and the call to obedience and love which follows.
As soon as one says, obedience after the cross does not testify to the lack of reality in ones heart today, these people are probably lost.
The problem with punishing the flesh in striving to live righteously, is understanding sin, motivation and emotions, is just the beginning. Thinking a few words spoken, or ceremonies followed is knowing love and reality in Christ is just delusional. And rejecting it all for a token faith, with no reality is just as bad, it is abandoning everything love and responsibility stands for.

A classic dilemma is defending ones own property or defending societies property. We have the power to give away our own possessions etc and choose how we deal with the violent man, but to defend the poor and defenceless is part of our ministry.

So being saved means we follow and obey, but in following and obeying we are demonstrating the work in our hearts free given by Christ. And Christs work is to enable this to be possible, or else it is all a farce of who holds the right poster to get into heaven and nothing about the heart and love. Not surprisingly those who hold this position, hate talking about love and the heart, because they cannot cope with the reality they are missing Jesus and His presence working through them. God bless you

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
True that...your choices and experience apply to you exclusively...and the same with every other individual.

The awesome thing About Scripture IS, It teaches the Application and Expected outcome For Every single individual.

So while ALL Scripture IS TRUE...not every single Word in Scripture Will APPLY TO all individual.

The Lord Offers a multitude of things...
From a hardened heart...to a new heart filled with His Truth.
From an eternal Life With Him Forever...to a Forever destroyed life eternally WITHOUT Him.

And God is absolutely Just...that His Power Will Accomplish that All Will Receive what they FREELY Choose.

Agree, every individual, makes his own freewill choice AND can speak his own choices for himself.

Glory to God,
Taken

What makes me laugh is when some say, listen to this preacher, you will then see everything in a different light.
If a preacher can lead me deeper into Jesus amen, but it is always from Jesus we receive and grow.

It is why it is a blessing when anyone is encouraged to seek Him more and find the Holy Spirit working in their lives.
I laugh when some say "No" "wrong" and then try and dictate the right view. Only God can do this, we are just followers.

God bless you

Reactions: Taken and Cooper

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What makes me laugh is when some say, listen to this preacher, you will then see everything in a different light.
If a preacher can lead me deeper into Jesus amen, but it is always from Jesus we receive and grow.

It is why it is a blessing when anyone is encouraged to seek Him more and find the Holy Spirit working in their lives.
I laugh when some say "No" "wrong" and then try and dictate the right view. Only God can do this, we are just followers.

God bless you
It is all about Jesus, without Him and what he did there is nothing.

Reactions: FollowHim

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can do you a favour if I understand what you are asking.
The problem is our view of faith and how we walk with Jesus can be different.
1. I never asked anything you responded to a post I made
2. We are not discussing how we walk with Jesus that’s the problem and area of disconnect
3 we are talking about how one is made a child of God

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1. I never asked anything you responded to a post I made
2. We are not discussing how we walk with Jesus that’s the problem and area of disconnect
3 we are talking about how one is made a child of God

Seems like we miss-understand one another.
As I asked, is there a problem with what I am sharing?

The beginning is like the middle and the end of the walk.
Its purpose and power is part of what it is.

It is important not to disconnect our walk with Jesus from who He actually is.
And how we start is to accept this is the way, the truth and the life.

Are these two separate issues? To me they are the same.
Is this not how we connect our faith, our experience and our expectation?

I praise God He has fulfilled His promises and led me into eternal life in Him. Amen.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is it true, that in walking with Jesus, and being transformed is different from starting our walk?
In both we are cleansed, purified, made whole, begin to talk and share with an open heart, full of the Holy Spirit.
In difficulty we repent, confess and are cleansed, renewing our commitment each day to His glorious way.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like we miss-understand one another.
As I asked, is there a problem with what I am sharing?

If you want to talk about what a person does after they are saved open a thread

this thread is about how one is saved is it by faith or works. I do not want to derail this thread and confuse people

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to talk about what a person does after they are saved open a thread

this thread is about how one is saved is it by faith or works. I do not want to derail this thread and confuse people
This thread is about what being saved means. There are different views on this and what it means.

Is this question or answer a problem?
One view desires to claim we join the saved crowd, and is separate from our walk. Of course those who follow this want to silence other perspectives.

If one is saved to eternal life without question, Paul's comparison of sowing to the flesh reaping death, sowing to the spirit, you reap eternal life makes no sense.

Or saying one is saved yet one lives a lifestyle which will not inherit the Kingdom is clear.

It is critical to see our heart reality only exists if we walk the path. Walking the path does not guarantee our hearts, faith in Christ does, but not walking the path shows we have not opened our hearts yet to Christ.

So many church folk count themselves saved, but the reality of love needs to break forth. This is kingdom reality, not I joined a jolly group who I like.

So I would suggest what being saved is , is central to the subject, so central those who deny the walk deny the link.

Paul went so far he would only accept converts if they could demonstrate this in their lives. God bless you

I wonder if there is a confusion over what domination is and what is a discussion.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's funny, I thought of talking about taking off in a plane and someone saying you should not talk about how wings work.

Put simply no taking off or flying without wings unless you use a rocket, lol. But that is just up and down, very limited. Lol. But then talking about it helps it to become very clear.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Your reply is based completely on the mistranslated words believe, believer, and believing. This mistranslation changes the object of Faith from God Himself, a real living person, to God's word and promises. Huge difference!
If the Bible is God's sole communication with mankind (which it is), then putting faith in what God says about Himself in His Word is putting faith in the God of the Bible. If a person believes in a God apart from the Bible, then his god is just a god of his imagination. There is only one God, and He is the God of the Bible. Therefore faith in God and in His Word and promises are one and the same.

Common sense tells that if a friend says that he will meet me for coffee at the Acme Cafe at 11am, then I will believe him and arrive there expecting to meet him. So, where is my faith centred? In my friend, or his word? If I decide not to turn up because I don't think he will keep his word, is that not deciding that I don't have faith in him as well?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is about what being saved means. There are different views on this and what it means.

Is this question or answer a problem?
One view desires to claim we join the saved crowd, and is separate from our walk. Of course those who follow this want to silence other perspectives.

If one is saved to eternal life without question, Paul's comparison of sowing to the flesh reaping death, sowing to the spirit, you reap eternal life makes no sense.

Or saying one is saved yet one lives a lifestyle which will not inherit the Kingdom is clear.

It is critical to see our heart reality only exists if we walk the path. Walking the path does not guarantee our hearts, faith in Christ does, but not walking the path shows we have not opened our hearts yet to Christ.

So many church folk count themselves saved, but the reality of love needs to break forth. This is kingdom reality, not I joined a jolly group who I like.

So I would suggest what being saved is , is central to the subject, so central those who deny the walk deny the link.

Paul went so far he would only accept converts if they could demonstrate this in their lives. God bless you

I wonder if there is a confusion over what domination is and what is a discussion.
No it is not
That’s why we keep having misunderstanding. You seem to think every thread That has to do with how one is saved speaks of how a saved person walks

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No it is not
That’s why we keep having misunderstanding. You seem to think every thread That has to do with how one is saved speaks of how a saved person walks

There are many perspectives on salvation. It is not surprising I express a perspective I believe in. Is there a problem with this expression.

I am interested as with flying both taking off and flying needs wings. Similarly faith is required in starting our walk and continuing in it.

Please show me my error, if you disagree. I encourage you to share your insight.

One problem with indoctrination is the inability to discuss only dispute.

"I know you" are words we love from Jesus. Jesus recognition of His people is their walk and commitment to it.

The impure will never inherit the Kingdom. Harsh words if one does not know Christ's cleansing. And many do not believe it's possible. That is unbelief but salvation is founded on belief. So until you know the promise in one's heart how can being saved even begun. God bless you my friend,.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and encouragement, thank you

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No it is not
I must apologise, clearly you believe our walk and starting our walk are different, else you would not raise this.

But you start a walk how you intend to finish it, and I have walked many walks.

Or if you love Jesus, you will listen obey and follow. Jesus says as much as does Paul etc. The more I share this the simpler this truth appears. When you learn to drive, you always follow the same principles your whole driving life. This is the rule of beginnings:)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many perspectives on salvation. It is not surprising I express a perspective I believe in. Is there a problem with this expression.

I am interested as with flying both taking off and flying needs wings. Similarly faith is required in starting our walk and continuing in it.

Please show me my error, if you disagree. I encourage you to share your insight.

One problem with indoctrination is the inability to discuss only dispute.

"I know you" are words we love from Jesus. Jesus recognition of His people is their walk and commitment to it.

The impure will never inherit the Kingdom. Harsh words if one does not know Christ's cleansing. And many do not believe it's possible. That is unbelief but salvation is founded on belief. So until you know the promise in one's heart how can being saved even begun. God bless you my friend,.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and encouragement, thank you
I never said you had error or not

Again if you want to talk about this topic open another thread

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must apologise, clearly you believe our walk and starting our walk are different, else you would not raise this.

But you start a walk how you intend to finish it, and I have walked many walks.

Or if you love Jesus, you will listen obey and follow. Jesus says as much as does Paul etc. The more I share this the simpler this truth appears. When you learn to drive, you always follow the same principles your whole driving life. This is the rule of beginnings:)
Smh

you don’t get it

good day

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A true Christian doesn't think about " making it to heaven."
I love your sense of humour!
A surrendered life, isn't a true surrender if we're expecting something in return for the surrender. That would be some kind of business deal or vending machine kind of process.

When Faith applied, or the continually surrendered life results in recieving the Spirit of Christ, we are sanctified. Sanctification simply means to be separated from. In the case of the one who has received the Spirit of Christ, he had been separated from his sinful nature. That doesn't mean the sinful nature is powerless.

When we are sanctified, there are 3 parts. Our Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, and the sinful nature. The Scriptures specifically give us the description of the Spirit of Christ and the sinful nature engaged in trench warfare over our soul. We are merely onlookers, with only the power to choose which one we will surrender ourselves to. Which one we'll give power to.

So as Paul says in Rom. 7:14-21, when I do what I don't want to do , it's not me doing it but sin dwelling in me that's doing it. And, the same thing is true when we do something we "do" want to do, it's not us doing it, but the Spirit of Christ dwelling in us doing it.
After all that, you didn’t answer my question: Can a Christian lie, steal and murder and still make it to Heaven?

And here’s another question: Why does Paul warn Christians that their sins can land them in Hell (Gal 5:19-21)?

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I love your sense of humour!

After all that, you didn’t answer my question: Can a Christian lie, steal and murder and still make it to Heaven?

And here’s another question: Why does Paul warn Christians that their sins can land them in Hell (Galatians 5:19-21)?

A genuinely converted Christian will not lie, steal, and murder and still make it to heaven. Paul told the Ephesians that they were once like that, but not now.

Also, Paul did not use the word "you" in Galatians 5:19-21, so he was not referring to the converted believers, but rather those who were still unconverted and still living and walking in the flesh.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Smh

you don’t get it

good day

Obviously I get it, but where is your reply? The test of truth is bringing it into the light.

I wish you well in Christ, in loving and following His ways. Clearly this is a problem or else you would be joyfully sharing. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, Amen.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The law of beginnings. You start as you mean to continue.
Can Jesus make us perfect?
Yes. That is our faith, but of course we tend to limit this.

Our perception is always on now, rather on what will be. Jesus asks us to focus on what will be and make it real.
The cross shouts it's possible in Him. Faith believes this, the power of love.

Reactions: Taken