Olivet Discourse revisited

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't suffer any illusions about being able to change many minds, but I still think it's worth the effort. I've been studying this many years, and it really seems to be a headache in the study of biblical prophecy. Way back in the early 70s I read Hal Lindsey's book, "The Late Great Planet Earth," and really enjoyed it. He saw amazing coincidences between the news of our time and biblical prophecies that seem to be coming to precise fulfillment.

Unfortunately, Lindsey did something that I believe has been disastrous to the understanding of biblical prophecy. And I'm sure he's not the only one. He had a tremendous desire to convert biblical prophecies that had already been fulfilled into future prophecies. Why waste time reading prophecies that had already been fulfilled, such as prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem by Babylon? Why not focus on prophecies that have yet to be fulfilled so that we can show people how God's word is still relevant in our own day?

And so, Lindsey converted what Jesus said in his Olivet Discourse from being about the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans to being an endtime prophecy of the generation in which Israel would be reborn as a nation. The passage reads, "This generation will not pass away until all these things take place." This prophecy was actually being spoken about Jesus' own generation--"this generation" referred to the generation in which Jesus lived.

But Lindsey converted this into a prophecy of the last generation. "This generation" was, for Lindsey, the generation that saw the rebirth of the Israeli nation. The generation that sees the rebirth of Israel would not pass away until the Rapture of the Church takes place first.

Well sadly, when many like myself who like to point out this error do so we are called "Preterists" as a name of insult. Preterists was a particular school of thought that arose in history to declare not just that "this generation" was fulfilled in the Roman conquest, but also that the *entirety of the book of Revelation* was fulfilled in the Early Church.

I don't believe that--I'm not a Preterist. But I do believe that Preterists were at least partly right, in particular the part about "this generation" referring to the conquest of Jerusalem by Rome. I believe that the book of Revelation does refer to the endtimes, when the Antichrist will arise and reign for 3.5 years.

So we have this battle between the choice between an historial fulfillment or a future fulfillment. Can we know the difference? Of course we can, but often a person is taught a particular position when he is moldable, and is not likely to change his or her position without a firm conviction that the person they trusted was not entirely trustworthy. Since Lindsey has been a faithful Christian throughout his life, and has done a lot of good, it is difficult to break trust in him in areas where he has been wrong.

My purpose here is not to disparage teachers like Lindsey, but only to point out that good people can at times be wrong. Once you begin with a wrong point of view, a lot of the picture gets muddied, and a lot of rationalization takes place. In the end, the Olivet Discourse can become nearly incomprehensible. Even trying to look at it correctly finds obstacles because so many of the points have been corrupted along with the main point. What is the "great tribulation?" What are "all these things?"

All of these questions can be quite easily answered, but not if one has been indoctrinated in a false position, and has therefore corrupted his view on all of the points necessary to make his picture consistent. "All these things" becomes "the Rapture." The "great tribulation" becomes "the reign of Antichrist."

In reality, "all these things" in context was only ever meant to refer not to Christ's return but to the main point, referring to all the things connected with the destruction of Jerusalem, including the destruction of the temple, and the initial signs that presaged that event. The "great tribulation" explicitly described the fall out from the destruction of Jerusalem in an age-long exile of the Jewish People.

But I'm not going to convince many people, although I would wish to. Understanding historical prophecies have great value in teaching moral lessons, quite apart from proving prophecies are still coming true today. The Babylonian Judgment teaches us how we need to remain faithful to God's moral laws, unlike Israel who committed gross idolatry in the days before their capture and exile.

We do not need to make the Olivet Discourse entirely about the future, including the rebirth of Israel and the rise of Antichrist. There is plenty in that discourse that describes both historically-fulfilled prophecy and future prophecy. We do not need the Abomination of Desolation to be about the Antichrist and the Great Tribulation to be about the Reign of Antichrist. The exile of the Jews described in that Discourse is still taking place today, until the nation of Israel is restored to faith at Christ's return.

It's sad but it's now 2023, and well past the failure of Lindsey's prediction that the Rapture of the Church would take place in the generation of Israel's rebirth (1948). We're way overdue to look at this errant interpretation of the Olivet Discourse. And we need to get past the name-calling and false association with Preterism. The Early Church Fathers held to the historical interpretation of this Discourse, and I think we should too, even if certain terms continue to represent some headaches. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Lindsey has been a faithful Christian throughout his life, and has done a lot of good, it is difficult to break trust in him in areas where he has been wrong.
(Hal Lindsey = Adulterer)

Did you expect anything different from an adulterer, Hal Lindsey is on his 4th marriage to (Jolyn) while his previous 1st wife (Jan) and their three children live

My Holy Bible teaches adulterers such as 93 year old Hal Lindsey won't be in the kingdom of God

1st (Jan) & three children
2nd (Rose)
3rd (Kim)
4th/Present (Jolyn)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Hal Lindsey = Adulterer)

Did you expect anything different from an adulterer, Hal Lindsey is on his 4th marriage to (Jolyn) while his previous 1st wife (Jan) and their three children live

My Holy Bible teaches adulterers such as 93 year old Hal Lindsey won't be in the kingdom of God

1st (Jan) & three children
2nd (Rose)
3rd (Kim)
4th/Present (Jolyn)
I don't know anything about Hal's personal life. He may or may not have committed adultery--I don't know. Having 4 marriages does not necessarily make him an adulterer. I know it does as some define "adultery." But I do think there are legitimate grounds for divorce. I just can't say if the grounds were justified in Lindsey's case.

Apart from this, there is also forgiveness for adultery in Christianity. Whatever Lindsey may or may not have done, he has done a lot of good ministry in his life. He's had a solid evangelical appeal to the world for salvation. And he brought the attention of many to the relevance of biblical prophecy today.

I'll note that there may have been serious problems with Lindsey--I just don't know. I am not, however, a fan of his predictions about when Christ will return. He's been completely off the wall on this.

He used to teach at the same church I attended down in S. CA. I've written him on my opposition to his Dispensational position--he, of course, never answered. Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel only gave me a single response--in essence it read, "Don't come to my church! "

It's sad when Christians cannot entertain the position of others without getting hostile. But it is what it is. God has to change us, and He's very patient!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having 4 marriages does not necessarily make him an adulterer. I know it does as some define "adultery."
Hal Lindsey "Adulterer", he is married to a 4th woman (Jolyn 4th), his previous three wives (Jan 1st) (Rose 2nd) (Kim 3rd) are living

Mark 10:11-12KJV
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's sad when Christians cannot entertain the position of others without getting hostile. But it is what it is. God has to change us, and He's very patient!
False claims in "Fake News"

You have been shown the truth that Hal Lindsey is an "Adulterer", theres no hostility as you falsely claim

Jesus Is The Lord

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hal Lindsey "Adulterer", he is married to a 4th woman (Jolyn 4th), his previous three wives (Jan 1st) (Rose 2nd) (Kim 3rd) are living

Mark 10:11-12KJV
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.
Yes, I realize that some Christians are ultra-literalists, and believe that anybody who marries another apart from their spouse is an adulterer. I don't believe that.

My personal belief about this is that a believer's marriage is strictly between believers. Being married to a pagan a Christian may divorce the spouse. If the Christian spouse has backslidden and turned to paganism, then the Christian may divorce the spouse. If the Christian spouse is severely abusive, and not truly repenting, then the Christian may divorce the spouse.

Otherwise, grace should cover all sins between the pair. Spiritual unity should rule.

Lindsey's wives may have themselves been adulterous, abusive, or even mentally ill. I just don't know, and don't care to speculate. What I won't do is pass judgment on a situation I know nothing about.

Like you, though, I would have to ask the question. And it is a bit suspicious that I can find nothing whatsoever on his marriages.

No big surprise. It could be an admission of guilt, or it may be to cover someone who is innocent. It may also be to avoid gossip or personal attacks. If you learn more, let me know?

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
False claims in "Fake News"

You have been shown the truth that Hal Lindsey is an "Adulterer", theres no hostility as you falsely claim

Jesus Is The Lord
Lindsey is a hyperfuturist. So are you. Why aren't you applauding him? Adultery does not invalidate hyperfuturism, because hyperfuturism is already invalid.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lindsey is a hyperfuturist. So are you. Why aren't you applauding him? Adultery does not invalidate hyperfuturism, because hyperfuturism is already invalid.
Future Events Unfulfilled

1.) Daniel's AOD Matthew 24:15
2.) The Great Tribulation Matthew 24:21
3.) The Literal Human (Man Of Sin/The Beast) 2 Thessaloians 2:1-3, Revelation Chapter 13
4.) Literal Prophets Returned In The (Two Witnesses) Revelation Chapter 11
5.) The Lord's Second Coming In Fire And Final Judgement Luke 17:29-30 (The End)

Last edited:

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And we need to get past the name-calling and false association with Preterism.

Partial Preterism means one believes most of the OD was fulfilled in the past. Full Preterism means one believe all of it was fulfilled in the past. It isn't "name calling" to properly identify and name these types of things.

Both forms of Preterism are false as NONE of the OD events have happened yet.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

3.) The Literal Human (Man Of Sin/The Beast) 2 Thessaloians 2:1-3, Revelation Chapter 13
5.) The Lord's Second Coming In Fire And Final Judgement Luke 17:29-30 (The End)
A repeat of Lindsey the adulterer.

Reactions: rwb and WPM

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've lost count of how many times I have refuted your beliefs on this and how many times you have avoided these rebuttals. I will keep posting this truth until you address this irrefutable evidence and acknowledge the error of Scofield teaching.

1. The beast has been around for over 2000 years (Revelation 17:8, Revelation 17:11-13, 1 John 2:18-23, 1 John 4:1-3, 5-6, 2 John 1:7, and 2 Thessalonians 2:3-13). No man has lived that long on earth. Only a wicked spirit or an evil empire could possibly fulfil that portrayal.
2. How can a literal human being be literally “in them that perish” (2 Thessalonians 2:10)? This would suggest him being in every single unsaved person. Only a spirit can do that.
3. The beast carries the allegiance of all the non-elect. No single human being has or ever or will possess that wholesale allegiance. Only a broader worldly spirit enjoys all the loyalty of the wicked.
4. There is nowhere in Scripture that shows human beings in the abyss (Luke 8:31, Romans 10:7, Revelation 9:1, 2, 11, 11:7, 17:8, and 20:1, 3). Any time it is mentioned, it is shown to be the exclusive abode of Satan and his demons.
5. What man possesses 7 heads? These describe 7 wicked kingdoms in history with 7 kings ruling over them. No man can possibly satisfy that.
6. According to the original Greek, and in contrast to what many people teach, 666 is the number of “man,” not the number of “a man.”
7. Finally, what human being in history lives in, and rises up out of, the sea at the end? Such an idea is nonsensical.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is no need to focus on whether Hal Lindsey is (was) an adulterer or not.

The issue is what he wrote and taught. If indeed he set a date -- and documentary evidence should be provided quoting his own words for date-setting -- then he should never have done such a thing. That does not necessarily make everything else incorrect.

Getting back to the Olivet Discourse IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RAPTURE AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am definitely not a Preterist or Partial Preterist. But there is no question that when you look at the events of the first five seals, they are all presented in the Olivet Discourse. Do a comparison for yourself. Only the 6th and 7th seal judgments are reserved for the future.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Partial Preterism means one believes most of the OD was fulfilled in the past. Full Preterism means one believe all of it was fulfilled in the past. It isn't "name calling" to properly identify and name these types of things.

That is your position, and not what I believe. The Romans did defeat and destroy Jerusalem in the very generation that Jesus said "all these things" would happen. "All these things" did not include any reference to Jesus' return, which Jesus said would be on an unknown day *after* the great tribulation of the Jewish People during their long NT exile. "All these things" was referring exclusively to the main prophecy, which was the destruction of the temple, the surrounding of Jerusalem by the Romans, and the preliminary events that presaged these things.

Claiming you believe this has no impact on me. Lots of people believe lots of things, and may very well claim that their beliefs are "fact" when they are not. This is a matter of personal interpretation.

You are wrong in your definition of Partial Preterism, or are at best misleading. Yes, Partial Preterism contains some fulfilled elements and some unfulfilled elements. But it is central to the belief system to determine what precisely the things are that have been fulfilled.

It isn't just that Partial Preterists belief the destruction of the temple was destroyed, and all of the other prophecies are fulfilled in the future. This is *not* Partial Preterism! This hypothetical scenario has both past and future elements, but it still is *not* Partial Preterism! Your definition falls short.

Rather, the specific things integral to being P.P. is that the things fulfilled are the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem by the Romans, as well as the large body of events described in the book of Revelation, including the two beasts. The one thing all P.P.'s agree on can be future is the 2nd Coming of Christ at the end of the age.

But P.P.'s seem to feel that in some way the Son of Man also came during the Roman siege of Jerusalem. That's confusing to me, but maybe that's because I'm *not* a Preterist of any kind.

Belief that Jerusalem was defeated by Rome in the Olivet Discourse message is not in itself Preterism. This was the belief of the Early Church Fathers, just as they believed Dan 9 was all about the time of Messiah and the subsequent fall of Jerusalem at the hands of the Romans.

Preterism includes the book of Revelation in the belief this was fulfilled in the Early Church. I do not believe that and therefore am *not* a Partial Preterist.

It's amazing to me that you don't understand this after I've explained it repeatedly for years! You must be an absolutely obnoxious person to your friends at home? Actually, we should be friends after all of these years we've had discussions. But some people just never get along with those who disagree with them.

Reactions: covenantee

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am definitely not a Preterist or Partial Preterist. But there is no question that when you look at the events of the first five seals, they are all presented in the Olivet Discourse. Do a comparison for yourself. Only the 6th and 7th seal judgments are reserved for the future.

This is either partial preterism, or your own version of it. Either way, the OD events have not happened yet as they pertain to the end times, the events that precede the second coming.

jeffweeder

Jul 6, 2007
South Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not part of the OD. The temple isn't mentioned a single time.
Thats what got the Olivet discourse started.

Matt 24
24 Jesus left the temple area and was going on His way when His disciples came up to Him to call His attention to the [magnificent and massive] buildings of the temple. 2 And He said to them, “Do you see all these things? I assure you and most solemnly say to you, not one stone here will be left on another, which will not be torn down.”

3 While Jesus was seated on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, and said, “Tell us, when will this [destruction of the temple] take place, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end (completion, consummation) of the age?”

4 Jesus answered, “Be careful that no one misleads you [deceiving you and leading you into error]. 5 For many will come in My name [misusing it, and appropriating the strength of the name which belongs to Me], saying, ‘I am the Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed),’ and they will mislead many. 6 You will continually hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end [of the age].

Reactions: rwb and covenantee

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats what got the Olivet discourse started.

No, it was something said at the temple. The OD started when Christ sat on the mount and was about future events unrelated to what he stated at the temple.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

There is not the slightest possibility that an event as immensely and profoundly significant as the destruction of Jerusalem would go unprophesied.

Jesus saw to that in His Olivet Discourse.

Last edited: