• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assurance of salvation:

The law was given to teach mankind that mankind could never save him/her self by what they do. It was to show that mankind needed God to save them.

It is a shame that many in religions of today believe that if they try to keep the law and try to be good they will be saved. They ignore the fact that they can not keep the law. It shows that they will not accept the reason the law was given.

These scriptures tell us that we have assurance of salvation if we reach out to God and place our faith in what Jesus did for ALL OF MANKIND ON THE CROSS.

John 5:24-27
24 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
25 Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
26 For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
27 and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
NKJV

John 6:34-35
34 Then they said to Him, "Lord, give us this bread always."
35 And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.
NKJV

John 6:46-50
46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father.
47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.
48 I am the bread of life.
49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die.
NKJV

Acts 13:38-39
38 Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through this Man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins;
39 and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.
NKJV

Romans 4:5-8
5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin."
NKJV

Romans 10:3-4
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
NKJV

Romans 10:10-13
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.
13 For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."
NKJV

1 John 5:4-5
4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith.
5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
NKJV

1 John 5:9-13
9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for this is the witness of God which He has testified of His Son.
10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son.
11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.
NKJV

Indeed, the law was given to show mankind his sin (Romans 3:20) and as a schoolmaster to lead him to Christ (Galatians 3:24-25).

It has the power to convert a man to faith in Jesus (Psalms 19:7 (kjv)).

However, the law doesn't save.

What is the difference?

The law, in showing a man that he is a sinner in need of a Saviour, points a man to that which does save, faith in the blood of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

By showing us that we have all sinned and come short of the glory of the Lord, the law reveals to each one of us that we need to be forgiven by the Lord over the sins that we have committed against Him.

The gospel declares that this forgiveness comes through faith in what Jesus did for us on the Cross, even in dying and providing His shed blood as a sacrifice that brings forgiveness.

The blood does not only justify (bring forgiveness, Romans 5:9); it also sanctifies (makes holy, Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29).

If it be applied to your life, is it possible that it would do one thing and not also do the other?

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
... and if we are saved once then we are always saved.
As long as we keep focused and pressing forward to our heavenly Goal....
and the Prize of the high calling = God Himself...
and we endure till the very end,

then salvation is secure...because it is OF Him and IN Him.

Don't you agree with?
I'm sorry, but this is a bit ludicrous.
Please compare the red with the black.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are correct.
So, what's with your forum name, "GodsGrace"?

Is it God's grace that allows some BACs
to exercise their free will to fall from grace
whilst they are involved in habitual (unrepentant) sin? (for example)

Zachary,

Paul wrote to Timothy:

This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme (1 Tim 1:18-20 ESV).​

Hymenaeus and Alexander's faith could not be shipwrecked if they did not have faith in Christ to begin. See: What does it mean to shipwreck your faith?

Oz

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Of course, anytime this is said, the person on the receiving end should deeply consider the words that are spoken.

Of course if someone is addressing real sin, we should repent. But you do not go up to a mountain climber, who is
in full gear climbing a rock face and ask him is he prepared to climb the mountain and has he got the right equipment.
It is just stupid.

The real reason this person was saying what they were saying was because they believed I was not saved, and just
a hypocrite trying to pretend to follow Jesus. The idea that I was a believer actually following Jesus they could not
accept, because in their world view only sinner who sin daily are honest people and the state we are in never changes.

And if I was an unbeliever like him, I would have agreed. But I know Jesus and His love and the power of resurrection
life. There is no end to the power of love in a purified cleansed heart or of where He can take us.

Do you know this power of Christ transforming your heart and life? I wonder because you asked this question, and
obviously do not feel empathetic to what I am sharing. God bless you

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As long as we keep focused and pressing forward
to our heavenly Goal....and the Prize of the high calling = God Himself...
and we endure till the very end,

then salvation is secure...because it is OF Him and IN Him.
Don't you agree with?
Please try and compare the black versus the red.
Black is our doing ... red is His doing.
So, is it all because of Him?

Last edited:

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Calvinism doesn't teach we cannot sin anymore after having believed on Jesus. You have that confused with those teaching 1 John 3:9. Calvinism doesn't teach that, they teach 1 John 1:8. What you may have heard them say, is that our "past, present and future" sins are already forgiven. That's not true either. Only our past sins are forgiven.

1 John 3:9 has to do with being born again with the divine spirit that doesn't commit willful sins of lawlessness (1 John 3:4) because of the seed of the Father (the Holy Spirit) in us.

Dats not true man, Christ has forgiven us for all past, present and future sins!! the only sin he cant forgive is the (unforgivable sin) remember Christ is the ultimate atoinment, he's all powerful.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dats not true man, Christ has forgiven us for all past, present and future sins!! the only sin he cant forgive is the (unforgivable sin) remember Christ is the ultimate atoinment, he's all powerful.

DS,

If that's the case, why does Scripture bother to teach: 'If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness' (1 John 1:9 ESV)?

We continue to forgive our sins if we confess them to him.

Oz

illini1959

May 21, 2019
Central IL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one who is born again will practice righteousness, because he is born again, not in order to obtain or maintain his salvation.

Faith has maintaining power in a person's life, 1 Peter 1:5.

I thought the verses he quoted in the first place, the ones I copied, were pretty obvious on the difference between a person who's saved and one who's not.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is not the author and finisher of his faith, Jesus is. Yet, we must WORK OUT OUR OWN salvation with fear and trembling."
Hebrews 10:26

This is speaking of a very specific sin; the sin of denouncing the truth after claiming to accept it. This passage is showing that if a man denounces the faith, he never had it to begin with.

This is not in any way saying we need to keep up our own salvation.

Hebrews 6:4
"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,"

Again, this is talking about the same thing as the passage above; that if a man "falls away" from the faith, then he never really had any true faith in the first place.

King Saul started out well, but he fell...and tried to (out of jealousy) kill David. He lost his faith. I would LOVE to believe that OSAS is truth but...it is only truth in my estimation, IF we continue in the faith.

I do not believe this to be the case at all. Never in the Scriptures does it say that Saul lost his salvation... I do not believe that Saul was saved. At least not from what we saw of him. He was a humanistic man ruled by his anger who liked to pretend he was right with God out of fear. He never really cared very much at all. At least not until towards the end of his life.

I spent 2.5 years in a Calvinistic local body and I must say, there are many if not most, who believe that it does not matter at all what they do as they are "saved for eternity"...I'm sorry but, that is so wrong.

I completely agree. This is a false interpretation of OSAS, and a gross, disgusting one at that. The fact that our salvation is secure should by no means hinder good works, or make us any less eager to do them. The problem I have is the motivation though. Why are we doing the good works? If you believe that your good works earn you salvation, they cannot and never will be motivated by a pure love of Christ and His sacrifice. We may claim that they are, but in reality in the back of our minds and in the core of our being, you know that you have to do these good works to "keep up your salvation."

Again, I do agree that there are many out there that can and often do completely misunderstand the point of OSAS, claiming that they can live however they want. I will battle them as fervently and passionately as I would anyone else, because they are wrong.

Calvinism steals, kills and destroys the joy we are to have in Him. It steals our hope, and causes the most ardent proponents of this horrid doctrine to totally doubt their salvation.

Not true. At all. And here's why. Calvinism has brought a peace to my life that cannot be explained. The entire doctrine boils down to God is in complete and utter control, even if it doesn't seem like it from our point of view. You claim that I should be scattering around, doing good works, making my salvation sure; all of theses are good things. The problem arises when we examine MOTIVE. Why are you doing these good works? To keep up your own salvation? Was Christ's blood not enough to satisfy God? Was it not enough to atone for your sins? Was it not enough to appease the wrath of God? Then I regret to tell you that nothing you do will ever be enough. I would much rather cling to Christ's works then mine. My works will never be enough to sustain my salvation; if my salvation is based on my works, and my ability to persevere, then I am already lost. Everyday, my sins far outweigh my righteous deeds. I have to consciously try to do good, but I can sin without even knowing it. I have to remind myself to have a good attitude, but can snap at others without hesitation. Sin is my nature, not righteousness. Now, with Christ's help, and with the work of the Holy Spirit, my good works can and are used for the Kingdom, but they have nothing to do with my Salvation.

Jesus paid it all
ALL to Him I owe.

Who would ever sing:

Jesus paid it some,
Some was Him some me.
Christ has broken Satan's chains
But I must keep myself free.

This sounds absolutely absurd sung out loud, but is the basis of work's righteousness, or "keeping up your own salvation."

Sorry sir but, God is not a monster, He is Just and righteous in ALL His ways. How can you live with the belief that their is nothing you can do for God to bring in souls??

Ask Isaiah.

Isaiah 6: 8-13

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying:

8 “Whom shall I send,
And who will go for Us?”

Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

9And He said, “Go, and tell this people:

‘Keep on hearing, but do not understand;
Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’

10“Make the heart of this people dull,
And their ears heavy,
And shut their eyes;
Lest they see with their eyes,
And hear with their ears,
And understand with their heart,
And return and be healed.”

11Then I said, “Lord, how long?”

And He answered:

“Until the cities are laid waste and without inhabitant,
The houses are without a man,
The land is utterly desolate,
12The Lord has removed men far away,
And the forsaken places are many in the midst of the land.
13But yet a tenth will be in it,
And will return and be for consuming,
As a terebinth tree or as an oak,
Whose stump remains when it is cut down.
So the holy seed shall be its stump.”

Isaiah was told that he would not reach a single person, and would preach until the land was laid waste. According to you, he should have just not preached? But Isaiah knew that conversion was not his doing; There is nothing you or I can do to reach another person's heart; you give yourself too much power and far too much credit. You are a sinner; I am a sinner. Neither one of us will ever be able to reach another's heart. But God can. THIS is the good news of Evangelism; That GOD SAVES SINNERS, not that my preaching saves sinners. You are attributing their salvation to your good work of evangelism, rather than to God and His grace.

So, how does one "win" souls if all is already said and done??

YOU CAN'T. You and I are utterly and completely powerless to reach souls. The Holy Spirit can, though; and THAT is the true message of the Gospel; that GOD saves sinners, not that my evangelism does.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Ezra,

This is an interesting question. Sometimes we like people to be in boxes, we press a button and out comes the answer.
You say you have been in ministry 20 years so you know a lot of different positions.

What has struck me is an obvious connection Jesus made. If you accept His way you must produce fruit, not fruit no
reward. I had often wondered why the fig tree out of season was cursed, and especially why the apostles recognised
its significance. One can water down faith to a simple "Yes I believe", I have agreed with God, and I am in the Kingdom.

It staggard me when people said this and then argued for it as if it was Jesus speaking. The Lord gives everyone time,
time to prove who they truly are. And then judgement. The concept that this relationship is just a passing in a coffee
shop between two people on trains to different places is just insane. It is a true road of discovery, just like the disciples
took 3 years to get to know Jesus and for Him to become their Lord, so it is with us.

To begin to fulfil the greatest commandment, love the Lord with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind is a 100%
involvement in who God is and how He works with life. We can never stop being amazed at Him and His work. So
stunned are we, nothing else compares or begins to shadow who and what He is.
i dont mind discussing this subject in some ways i lean towards eternal security .in some ways i dont . i do not hold the answers as i have been studying out this for many years.. i am ordained gen baptist they do not hold to E T S .
my mom oldest sister sent me literature on the southern baptist eternal security .o have studied it out listened to many of there ministers over the years . what i do know through scripture is yes we can be SECURE in our salvation . i do feel when the ETS teaching come out it was not to be used even if you revert back to the old man and stay that way till death your still saved ..
i love to discuss this in a christian adult manner like i did in another post . then it turns into a flesh fest, i really dont want that.. i do have friends who are E T S believers that live it walk it . then i know those that are living a sinful lifestyle fleshly /carnal. if you ask they are saved .if you asked do you believe in eternal security they say NO. i really dont want to find out !! i do wrong at times gte angry say things i shouldn't. i never hide any thing from the Lord. i am open upfront yes i did thus and thus. i offer no excuse. the Bible says we can approach the throne of grace with Boldness and ask help in time of need.

it simply does not get any better than that.. yes we can be secure yes we can go to bed saved and still be saved when we wake up . why do people want to complicate the word of GOD ? we can know that we are saved follow 1 john 1:7 walk in the Light follow 1 john 1:9 confess our sins . i count that as part of repentance turning from.. yes there will always be the what if

Reactions: FollowHim

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So you believe if I murder someone in the future, it is already forgiven and I don't need to repent?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This passage is showing that if a man denounces the faith, he never had it to begin with.

I disagree with "he never had it to begin with." It clearly say by which "HE WAS SANCTIFIED." (Past tense.)

29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but this is a bit ludicrous.
of course it is. your right everyone else is wrong . paul wrote work out your own salvation with fear trembling ..............try it

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him... 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

We can have assurance, but it is not the doctrine of OSAS. Only if we continue to the end keeping His commandments of believing on Jesus AND loving one another are we abiding in Jesus. And to know our assurance is true, all of our prayers are answered, and we have what we ask for. If our prayers are not answered, (and not with a "no.") then we better look inside for what is wrong.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The thing is this: We don't lose salvation...it's that we don't want it anymore.
That would be ludicrous for any true believer. But if you wish to counter eternal security, you are more than welcome. Just remember that you may lead some astray because to have not properly comprehended the grace of God and the blood of Christ.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe that Saul was saved.

He "was turned into another man..." I suppose that a case can be made that this was not salvation...

I disagree with "he never had it to begin with." It clearly say by which "HE WAS SANCTIFIED." (Past tense.)

29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

I think that if you are transformed on the inside so that you are inclined to keep the sanctification that the Lord has given you, that you can lay hold of such promises as John 5:24, John 6:47, and John 10:27-30.

But if you get sanctified, and yet are not inclined to continue in the faith, then you may have been temporarily sanctified (not saved, e.g. Saul) by a lukewarm, nominal or shallow faith. God honoured your faith in performing a work of sanctification; but because you had no root in you, you weren't inclined to endure to the end.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We can have assurance, but it is not the doctrine of OSAS. Only if we continue to the end keeping His commandments of believing on Jesus AND loving one another are we abiding in Jesus.
Are you suggesting that our salvation is based upon what we do, and NOT upon what God and Christ have ALREADY DONE?

BTW, forget about OSAS. We should talk only about the eternal security of the believer. People who doubt this do not have a proper understanding of salvation in all its ramifications.

Reactions: Helen