Once Saved, Always Saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, 2 samuel 12. Nathan calls out david for what he did to uriah. Notice that in verse 13, david says he sinned against God, he said nothing about uriah or bathsheba. Sin is ALWAYS first and foremost against God.

Agree, Sin IS against God.

Notice you reference an OT mans behavior.
This OT man was Under OT Mosaic Law.
Under Mosaic Law, Sin Against God, WAS “according to the Law”.
David violated the Law.

In perspective, For example...
China has Laws. Say a Law in China says you can only have 2 children.
Say your citizenship is in the USA.
Say you have 3 children.
Have you violated the Law?

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree, Sin IS against God.

Notice you reference an OT mans behavior.
This OT man was Under OT Mosaic Law.
Under Mosaic Law, Sin Against God, WAS “according to the Law”.
David violated the Law.

In perspective, For example...
China has Laws. Say a Law in China says you can only have 2 children.
Say your citizenship is in the USA.
Say you have 3 children.
Have you violated the Law?

so are you saying that sin isnt against God any longer because of Jesus’ atonement??

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so are you saying that sin isnt against God any longer because of Jesus’ atonement??

I stated what applied to David.
I asked you a question.

What applied to David, does not apply to me.
What applies to a Chinese citizen in China, does not apply to me.

Laws that applied to David, to Chinese citizens...applies to Them.
Point being, YES those Laws exist, but are moot, irrelevant, to me.

Yes there are MANY Laws in the USA.
Some apply to me.
Some do NOT apply to me.
For example. If I do not own a vehicle, drive a vehicle, I am not obligated to OBEY a law to stop at stop signs.

So...IF you are Under Mosaic Law, and a Mosaic Law says, It is a SIN against God, IF you willfully neglect aid to another person...
Okay......you thus have committed a SIN against God, according to Mosaic Law.

Not asking about David.
Am asking WHAT Law, Driver A committed.
A law is not mystical. A law is written, published.
I am wondering if you can identify the written, published law, in Scripture, that Driver A violated, making that violation, A sin against...
That man, and A sin against God.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I stated what applied to David.
I asked you a question.

What applied to David, does not apply to me.
What applies to a Chinese citizen in China, does not apply to me.

Laws that applied to David, to Chinese citizens...applies to Them.
Point being, YES those Laws exist, but are moot, irrelevant, to me.

Yes there are MANY Laws in the USA.
Some apply to me.
Some do NOT apply to me.
For example. If I do not own a vehicle, drive a vehicle, I am not obligated to OBEY a law to stop at stop signs.

So...IF you are Under Mosaic Law, and a Mosaic Law says, It is a SIN against God, IF you willfully neglect aid to another person...
Okay......you thus have committed a SIN against God, according to Mosaic Law.

Not asking about David.
Am asking WHAT Law, Driver A committed.
A law is not mystical. A law is written, published.
I am wondering if you can identify the written, published law, in Scripture, that Driver A violated, making that violation, A sin against...
That man, and A sin against God.

Wow! You really dont get it, do you.
So adultery has always been a sin. Jesus even said looking at a woman with lust is considered adultery. Its a sin.
In regards to your question, driver A got angry with another person. 1 john 3:15 states “Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”

so there you go.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Danthemailman teaches all can disobey Jesus' commandment to be baptized and still be saved because, Only faith + nothing else= salvation
Genuine believers would not disobey Jesus' command to be baptized "after" they have been saved through faith and there multiple passages of scripture which make it clear that man is saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications." (Luke 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:22-28; 4:5-6; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:6-9, 26; Ephesians 2:8.9; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; Hebrews 10:39; 1 John 5:13 etc..). If being water baptized after we believe in/place faith in Jesus Christ for salvation was also necessary in order to become saved, then God make not so many statements in which He promises eternal life to those who simply BELIEVE IN/PLACE FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST FOR SALVATION.

Conclusion: Dan's gospel is salvation by disobedience.
Dan's gospel is salvation through trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-SUFFICIENT means of our salvation. (1 Corinthians 15:1-4; Romans 1:16) Doug's gospel is salvation by "water and works" which means you don't believe the gospel. Refusing to obey the gospel by choosing to believe the gospel is disobedience. Romans 10:16 - But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?”

He admits you can disobey God and be saved here,
Your "works based" false gospel is disobedience to God. (Galatians 1:6-9)

Danthemailman has proven me correct by admitting that individuals can disobey the commandment to be baptized and still be saved,
Acts 10:47-48.
He proves his own doctrine to be salvation by disobedience
You have proven nothing and you are beginning to sound obnoxious and childish. I never said that genuine believers disobey the command to be baptized by refusing to be water baptized. That is your continued straw man argument. I simply said we are saved the moment that we believe in Him/place faith in Jesus Christ for salvation before water baptism. (Acts 10:43-47; 15:7-9) Obeying the command to be baptized follows salvation. Your continued dishonesty is uncalled for and shameful.

Last edited:
Reactions: BloodBought 1953

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give me a Yes or No answer Danthemailman,

In your gospel,
Can I have faith alone and reject the commandment to be baptized, Acts 10:47-48
And be saved by faith only and not obey Jesus' commandment, Mark 16:15-16?
Now you sound like a crafty lawyer. Genuine believers would not reject the command to be baptized, so your question about rejecting Jesus' command to be baptized is moot, yet if a believer was unable to receive water baptism because they were on their death bed (like the thief on the cross or a soldier on the battlefield) they would still be saved because they BELIEVE, which is in harmony with (Mark 16:16(b); John 3:18).

Mark 16:16(b) - ..but he who does not believe will be condemned.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dan Moses and the Isrealites were not saved by faith alone,
THEY HAD TO LOOK UPON THE SRPENT ON THE POLE OR THEY WOULD DIE.
Good grief. You turn everything into a work for salvation. :rolleyes: John 3:14 - Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up. That's the point you seem to miss. The Israelites who were bitten looked to the bronze serpent in faith to deliver them from death, just as we look to the Son and believe in Him in order to receive eternal life. (John 6:40) That is not salvation by works.

That is being saved by believing and obeying the command to look at the serpent on the pole,
You are so determined to "add" works to salvation through faith. You absolutely refuse to accept that Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption alone and not based on the merits of our works. (Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6) You want credit and have an issue with pride. The truth of the gospel is foolishness to you (1 Corinthians 1:21; 2:14) which keeps you from believing the gospel and until the blinders are removed (2 Corinthians 4:3,4) you will remain in UNBELIEF and refuse to believe the gospel.

You think they could be saved by belief alone and reject the commandment to look at the snake on the pole.
THEY HAD TO DO SOMETHING TO LIVE DAN
They looked to the snake on the pole in belief in order to be delivered from death, just as we look to the Son and believe in Him in order to receive eternal life. That is still salvation through belief alone "apart from works." Elsewhere in scripture, we read: Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works. *Did you see that? ;) Paul is crystal clear here.

The night I received Christ through faith and was saved several years ago, I was reading my Bible when the Holy Spirit convicted me through God's word that salvation is through faith and is not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9) Now should I take credit for reading my Bible as a work for salvation? Saved through faith + the work of reading my Bible? That argument sounds ridiculous, just as your arguments for works salvation do as well.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just gave a good description of Biblical faith here,

Israelites who were bitten looked to the bronze serpent in faith

Faith that saved them took action.
The faith that saves is the faith that obeys.

Danthemailman, what if they only believed but did not do the work of obedience God commanded them?
Could they be saved if they had faith only, but did not obey the command to look at the serpent?

We both know the answer.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness

Paul is teaching on the works of the law of Moses in the book of Romans.
You already know this!
Do you have selective memory?
No law keeping in the old covenant saved anybody.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are a con artist.
No Sir,
You teach we can disobey the commandment to be water baptized and still be saved.
The only condition that must be met in your false gospel to recieve salvation is belief only.
Therefore your gospel is salvation by disobedience.
If you claim you dont teach this. You are denying salvation by faith and no works

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Sir,
You teach we can disobey the commandment to be water baptized and still be saved.
The only condition that must be met in your false gospel to recieve salvation is belief only.
Therefore your gospel is salvation by disobedience.
If you claim you dont teach this. You are denying salvation by faith and no works

I cannot believe you reduced @mailmandan to posting a one sentence post.

You must have struck a cord there.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is, justification comes before any action is taken, just as it was for Abraham, our example of justifying faith:

"9 We have been saying that Abraham’s faith was credited to him as righteousness. 10In what context was it credited? Was it after his circumcision, or before? It was not after, but before." Romans 4:9-10
The works that follow are the sign of the justification received entirely by faith before and apart from any work:

11And he received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised." Romans 4:11

Reactions: mailmandan

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just gave a good description of Biblical faith here,

Wow, so much action. I obeyed by choosing to believe the gospel. That was so much action as well. Works salvation is what you live and breathe.

Danthemailman, what if they only believed but did not do the work of obedience God commanded them?
Choosing to not look would have demonstrated a lack of belief. Just like choosing to not look to the Son for salvation also demonstrates a lack of belief.

Could they be saved if they had faith only, but did not obey the command to look at the serpent?
Refusing to look at the bronze serpent would have demonstrated a lack of faith. You need to keep in mind that "faith only" per James is in regards to an empty profession of faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14)

We both know the answer.
I know the real answers to your loaded questions.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is teaching on the works of the law of Moses in the book of Romans.
You already know this!
Do you have selective memory?
No law keeping in the old covenant saved anybody.
Roman Catholics use this same bogus argument in an effort to "get around" the truth that salvation is through faith and not by works as well. Paul does not limit works merely to "works of the law" and when it comes to the moral aspect of the law, you cannot dissect good works from the law. In James 2:15-16, the example of a "work" that James gives is: "If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?" To give a brother or sister these things needed for the body would certainly be a "work of faith/good work" yet to neglect such a brother or sister and not give them the things needed for the body is to break the second great commandment "love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:39) as found written in the law of Moses (Leviticus 19:18).

In Matthew 22:37-40, we read: Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. Please tell me which good works a Christian could do that are "completely detached" from these two great commandments which are found in the law of Moses? (Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18). Paul goes on to say that it is not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us in Titus 3:5 and in 2 Timothy 1:9, Paul clearly states that God saved us not according to our works. So your works of the law argument is bogus. Works salvation is NO SALVATION AT ALL. You have been served.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He's not saying that. In all fairness to mailmandan, he said this... ↓↓↓
Genuine believers would not disobey Jesus' command to be baptized "after" they have been saved through faith...
He's not pushing living in disobedience and still being saved when Jesus comes back. He's saying what Paul said: Salvation is not given as a reward of debt owed for work performed, but rather as a reward of faith before any work is performed:

"4Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt." Romans 4:4