Open Discussion of UR Chapter Three - God's character

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably one of the most important aspects of Ultimate Redemption (UR) is God's character.
cc: @GRACE ambassador --- but, all are invited to join the discussion.

Ultimate Redemption focuses on the mercy of God in judgement.
God's ultimate ministry of reconciliation. The restoration of all things.
The resolution of all things full circle back to the original creation.

The Bible-thumpers will want to limit the discussion to biblical proof. The hard facts, none of this emotional stuff.
And we can certainly look at some some scripture. But I would like to focus on what we already know about God.

Does your experience with God tell you that he is a fearful judge, or a loving Father?
Has he not shown love and care for you? Does not the life-giving rain fall on the lands of the righteous and sinners?
Does a sparrow fall without his notice? Consider how the flowers of the field are adorned, will he not clothe you as well?
The very hairs of your head are numbered. His knowledge and care for us is overwhelming.

Does this end at the afterlife?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrote this on another thread. (link below)

Question: Does God use logic to control His emotions?

The whole concept of hell (eternal conscious torment) smacks of unbridled wrath and fury.
I don't mean to offend, but how should we process such cognitive dissonance?
That the God of love and mercy, the very source of the ministry of reconciliation,
should even conceive of such a horror, let alone plan and execute it.

The common apologetic that says, "His ways are higher than our ways.",
leaves me stunned. How can this way be higher, when by human understanding,
it is clearly lower? That the God who expects us to love our enemies,
would incinerate his own. And worse than that, torture them mercilessly for all eternity,
in the most sinister and sadistic way imaginable, with no purpose, or hope of escape.

Am I letting my emotions get the best of me here?

The answer of hell and its origins
Post #1,338

Reactions: Chadrho

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Probably one of the most important aspects of Ultimate Redemption (UR) is God's character.
cc: @GRACE ambassador --- but, all are invited to join the discussion.

Ultimate Redemption focuses on the mercy of God in judgement.
God's ultimate ministry of reconciliation. The restoration of all things.
The resolution of all things full circle back to the original creation.

The Bible-thumpers will want to limit the discussion to biblical proof. The hard facts, none of this emotional stuff.
And we can certainly look at some some scripture. But I would like to focus on what we already know about God.

Does your experience with God tell you that he is a fearful judge, or a loving Father?
Has he not shown love and care for you? Does not the life-giving rain fall on the lands of the righteous and sinners?
Does a sparrow fall without his notice? Consider how the flowers of the field are adorned, will he not clothe you as well?
The very hairs of your head are numbered. His knowledge and care for us is overwhelming.

Does this end at the afterlife?
....and did not Jesus craft the story of the Prodigal Son? ....and who do we suppose the older brother represents?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....and did not Jesus craft the story of the Prodigal Son? ....and who do we suppose the older brother represents?
That's a great point, thanks.

Perfect picture of the character of God the Father I am talking about.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Human emotion and opinion means absolutely nothing in the face of Biblical declaration.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole concept of hell (eternal conscious torment) smacks of unbridled wrath and fury.
What of it? If that's God's wrath against the unrepentant, who are you to gainsay God?? And if you don't understand His reasons, then that's par for the course, as His ways fully transcend our ways. I wouldn't expect to understand why He does what He does.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is clearly lower?
Human understanding? Nix that. You judge His ways by what you think of your own. No good!

Much love!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What of it? If that's God's wrath against the unrepentant, who are you to gainsay God?? And if you don't understand His reasons, then that's par for the course, as His ways fully transcend our ways. I wouldn't expect to understand why He does what He does.
Again...

it is clearly lower? That the God who expects us to love our enemies,
would incinerate his own. And worse than that, torture them mercilessly for all eternity,
in the most sinister and sadistic way imaginable, with no purpose, or hope of escape.

To which I will add...
Why would the transcendent God violate the human conscience he gave us to understand right and wrong?
There is no way to justify the claims against God that the church is making in His name.

Did Jesus die to save us from God?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Human emotion and opinion means absolutely nothing in the face of Biblical declaration.

Much love!
.....and there will be plenty lost whose mantra is 'the bible, the bible!'

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, one must be saved by Jesus from God or else God (Jesus) will torture them day and night forever and ever and ever...
Read the account of Judas after his act of betrayal.....who tortured him? was it God?
When folk reject what they know is right the torture comes from themselves, not God.
Have we got it that wrong? God is in the Salvation business; life and love, joy and peace....not eternal torture. That is an invention of the evil one who maligns God and paints him with his own attributes.

John 10:10 'The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.'

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, one must be saved by Jesus from God or else God (Jesus) will torture them day and night forever and ever and ever...
Jesus is the full revelation of the Father. How then does Jesus save us from the Father?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read the account of Judas after his act of betrayal.....who tortured him? was it God?
When folk reject what they know is right the torture comes from themselves, not God.
Have we got it that wrong? God is in the Salvation business; life and love, joy and peace....not eternal torture. That is an invention of the evil one who maligns God and paints him with his own attributes.

John 10:10 'The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.'

Yes, God created BILLIONS of souls knowing that many of them would not pass his tests, and, being loving and merciful, made arrangements that those souls will experience suffering and anguish for all of eternity.

Nothing is impossible for God. For instance, when you and I are sitting around a campfire with God himself, holding hands and singing Kumbaya, God will simultaneously be in Hell inflicting unspeakable torture against BILLIONS of souls that weren't fortunate enough to receive the gift of faith.

Ephesians 2:8–9 affirms this: “By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.”

Too bad for the lost souls that God didn't give them the gift of faith and so now they'll be tortured, day and night, FOREVER AND EVER! Too bad, so sad, but those are the breaks.

I wonder if God will let you and me go torture people in Hell. How about it?