OSAS is the result of the finished work of the cross

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, I would see that Romans 8.38-39 is a great verse for the eternal security of the believer, because it depends on the work of Christ and not on human agency.

But as you imply, if people's definitions are all different, then the conclusion will likely be different also.

If you live according to the flesh...in your own power of seeing things...in your own strength and opinions...then you will die. A person who lives in themselves is not with the Lord.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Ezek 13

“ ‘Because they lead my people astray, saying, “Peace,” when there is no peace, and because, when a flimsy wall is built, they cover it with whitewash, 11therefore tell those who cover it with whitewash that it is going to fall. Rain will come in torrents, and I will send hailstones hurtling down, and violent winds will burst forth. 12When the wall collapses, will people not ask you, “Where is the whitewash you covered it with?” 13“ ‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: In my wrath I will unleash a violent wind, and in my anger hailstones and torrents of rain will fall with destructive fury. 14I will tear down the wall you have covered with whitewash and will level it to the ground so that its foundation will be laid bare. When it b falls, you will be destroyed in it; and you will know that I am the Lord. 15So I will pour out my wrath against the wall and against those who covered it with whitewash. I will say to you, “The wall is gone and so are those who whitewashed it, 16those prophets of Israel who prophesied to Jerusalem and saw visions of peace for her when there was no peace, declares the Sovereign Lord.” ’

Matt 7

15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb, from my perspective, it's not my house on the sand. Rather it's Calvin's and his doctrines. Your quoting these verses and not actually addressing my points is actually further confirming that view.

Again, if you believe OSAS I respect your right/choice in that matter. But please stop trying to prosylize that view to me and others after we have said "no thank you" repeatedly.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it says he foreknew who would love him.

Us choosing God because he chose us first is Calvanism.

You are sounding Calvinistic here.
1.) It's Calvinism.
2.) I am Calvinistic, and contrary to popular belief it is not a deadly disease.
3.) If we choose God, then we are saved by own merit.... the merit of a correct choice. Us choosing God before he changes us would allow all those who come before the throne of judgment to have a justifiable reason to get into heaven. When God asks " Why should you be allowed in my presence?", will you then reply, "Because I chose correctly."

.... seems quite man-centered to me. And Christianity isn't about man, it's about God.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On that, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you.

Christ comes first when we continually give ourselves to Christ. Every single day renew our pledge, renew our love --- just as He continually does with us.

Curious...
How does one Re-new...a pledge? ...love?
To the Lord?

I don't find this in Scripture.

I do find for one to Renew their Mind, making it from Carnal (against God) to subjected To the man's Spirits thoughts in his heart.

OSAS... I find that it minimizes that love and devotion, ironically making the preoccupation about "Am I really saved" rather than just truly loving the savior and building the relationship with Him.

I have never heard any BELIEVER in OSAS say such a thing in wonderment.

Since you are not in agreement with OSAS, MIND if I ask you some questions on the topic to get a better Understanding of your perspective?

God Bless
Taken

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and worthless works, no downside there right? Bc you said some magic words Heb?
bc you were very serious in your intentions at the time?

Sure there are worthless works...
Doesn't matter if one is saved or not;
Worthless works shall be burned....
Which for the Unsaved; is all their works.
Glorifying works of the Saved are rewarded.

BTW...no magic involved concerning Confessions to Christ the Lord God, and His Gifts.

God Bless
Taken

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curious...
How does one Re-new...a pledge? ...love?
To the Lord?

I don't find this in Scripture.

I do find for one to Renew their Mind, making it from Carnal (against God) to subjected To the man's Spirits thoughts in his heart.
Yeah, that's on verse. Over and over again in scripture in tells us to pray without ceasing, to continue in the ways of the Lord, etc. This isn't a one-time-done-gig.
Jane: "OSAS... I find that it minimizes that love and devotion, ironically making the preoccupation about "Am I really saved" rather than just truly loving the savior and building the relationship with Him."

I have never heard any BELIEVER in OSAS say such a thing in wonderment.
Just for one example: I've seen many OSAS Christians who answer alter calls repeatedly, concerned that they didn't "do it right" the first time.
Since you are not in agreement with OSAS, MIND if I ask you some questions on the topic to get a better Understanding of your perspective?
Sure.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, that's on verse. Over and over again in scripture in tells us to pray without ceasing, to continue in the ways of the Lord, etc. This isn't a one-time-done-gig.

Just for one example: I've seen many OSAS Christians who answer alter calls repeatedly, concerned that they didn't "do it right" the first time.

Sure.

I wasn't talking about praying , but rather pledge and love.

Didn't do it right the first time...
Complete example of ignorance!
And a SHAME toward the Lord.

Heb 6:6
If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

How do you believe a man can lose his Salvation ?

God Bless,
Taken

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't talking about praying , but rather pledge and love.
And love and commitment should be continually renewed in any relationship, especially the most important one with God. When I pray, I once again tell God I love Him and remember/renew my devotion to Him.
How do you believe a man can lose his Salvation ?
God is not a jailer: you have the option of walking away. And some people do. We've all seen Christians who abandon their love of the Savior to chase worldly things.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1.) It's Calvinism.
2.) I am Calvinistic, and contrary to popular belief it is not a deadly disease.
3.) If we choose God, then we are saved by own merit.... the merit of a correct choice. Us choosing God before he changes us would allow all those who come before the throne of judgment to have a justifiable reason to get into heaven. When God asks " Why should you be allowed in my presence?", will you then reply, "Because I chose correctly."

.... seems quite man-centered to me. And Christianity isn't about man, it's about God.

As Romans 8 says God knows who loves him.

God programming you to ask for salvation isn't love. It's robotics.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Romans 8 says God knows who loves him.

God programming you to ask for salvation isn't love. It's robotics.

And you choosing God isn't Salvation, its works righteousness.

Romans 8:29-30

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you choosing God isn't Salvation, its works righteousness.

English: American Standard Version

Books
Translations
Verse 29 of 39
< Prev 127 28 29 30 3139 Next > View in Context
29 For whom he foreknew, he also foreordained [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren: 30 and whom he foreordained, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

It is not at work because no one is saved by works.

Romans cannot be construed to say anything other than those mentioned are saved. Unless you want to say unsaved are glorified in the future.

Romans 8:29-30 New International Version (NIV)
29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

The ASV huh? The only English translation authorized by the Catholic Church.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
English: American Standard Version

Books
Translations
Verse 29 of 39
< Prev 127 28 29 30 3139 Next > View in Context
29 For whom he foreknew, he also foreordained [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren: 30 and whom he foreordained, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

It is not at work because no one is saved by works.

Romans cannot be construed to say anything other than those mentioned are saved. Unless you want to say unsaved are glorified in the future.

Romans 8:29-30 New International Version (NIV)
29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

The ASV huh? The only English translation authorized by the Catholic Church.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And love and commitment should be continually renewed in any relationship, especially the most important one with God. When I pray, I once again tell God I love Him and remember/renew my devotion to Him.

I guess we look at it differently....
Be it to my spouse, family, friends, God...
I express my love, verbally and BY acts...but I wouldn't call it renewing.

God is not a jailer: you have the option of walking away. And some people do. We've all seen Christians who abandon their love of the Savior to chase worldly things.

Rather I would say God IS The Truth and ALL knowing.

Personally, I can not walk away.

According to my natural spirit in my heart,
I made a True Confession to Him, of True Belief In God, In Christ Jesus.

According to Scripture The Lord God Knows what thoughts are In a mans heart.

I Trust He Gifted me with SEVERAL things in that moment, once and forever.
I find nothing In Scripture revealing that God will Ever Take Those Several Gifts Away...

Do you believe God can be Tricked into Giving a man the Gift of Salvation ~ That a man could then Deny Him?

God Bless,
Taken

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess we look at it differently....
Be it to my spouse, family, friends, God...
I express my love, verbally and BY acts...but I wouldn't call it renewing.
I guess there is a difference of words being used here.

For me, I wake up in the morning and tell my husband "I love you so much. You are wonderful and I'm yours." I'm renewing my love and commitment to him. Likewise I pray and commune my love with God.

Rather I would say God IS The Truth and ALL knowing.

Personally, I can not walk away.

According to my natural spirit in my heart,
I made a True Confession to Him, of True Belief In God, In Christ Jesus.

According to Scripture The Lord God Knows what thoughts are In a mans heart.

I Trust He Gifted me with SEVERAL things in that moment, once and forever.
I find nothing In Scripture revealing that God will Ever Take Those Several Gifts Away...

Do you believe God can be Tricked into Giving a man the Gift of Salvation ~ That a man could then Deny Him?

God Bless,
Taken
I don't play the games of "who that person wasn't ever really saved." Such is degrading to all involved.
If someone choose to leave Christ, that's their choice. It's not God being tricked or any such nonsense. It's that person choosing to walk away.
And it would be folly to neglect our own relationships with God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yeah, i mean they profess with their lips that it is finished, but according to the modern doctrine of non-osas it is not finished
Jesus work as a man is finished for himself and for us, but our work is not finished until we can say with Jesus these words...

"And now I am no more in the world..." John 17:11

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jane, no believer in their right mind would want to give up their salvation. Give up eternal life for what, the lake of fire? That's not biblical. We are thankful for the gift. Those who don't understand this never experience His anointing or the indwelling HS
You write this, yet what was that Adam and Eve chose when they chose to eat of the forbidden fruit? Were they in their right mind? They had a choice, to obey God or not. From that point everyone was dead. Jesus came to let us make the choice that Adam and Eve made. Our choice begins when we meet the Master. Only overcomers are allowed to approach and eat from the Tree of Life. Jesus made it possible for us to become overcomers, but the job of overcoming is ours using the tools provided.