Paul and Faith Alone…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Seeing so many lawyers who insist we keep the law, even tell us it is easy yet can never explain how they do it.
well first i don't let other ppl define what is law and what is not; imo keeping the law does not mean "you have to do what _____ says." And so on. Tbh i think we are dealing with more than one definition of "Law" here...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
...and i notice that many have a concept of "under the law" that means "keeping the law," when imo "under" infers "protected by;" thus "i rely on the law for my protection." So i guess we have to sort that out first, each for ourselves

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
None keep the law, not one Jesus was teh only one who ever could and teh only one who ever will
perfectly, from birth, sure, but that does not disallow that someone could come to that state after maturing, in grace. i know ppl that have not overtly sinned in a long time, for instance. I suspect this attitude is often a reaction to some lawlessness that you (one) want to continue to participate in, and don't want to admit to being hurtful to others, or at least as often some activity that has been deemed "sin" by some body that you (the common you here; i doubt you sin much tbh) do not feel is sinful at all? Which might very well be the case?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
YEs you will insist on the law till judgement day than you will want to run as far from it as you can.
i will counsel that to follow Christ i must keep the law, yes. Not a jot or tittle removed. But over that i would apply grace, meaning i am not "under the law," i am not relying on the law to protect me if you sin against me, iow.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law is inadequate. The law is abused. But the law is also Holy, which i did not even know when we started talking. I am Anarchist, yet i would surely drive anyone reading this nuts with how closely i obey the speed limit when i am called on to travel (drive, to you), and etc.
Ah yes, my wife gets after me for that. When the speed limit is posted at 65MPH I have set my cruise control or my foot so that I do not exceed that by even 1MPH. She favors the idea that most cops won't pull you over if you don't exceed it by more than 5MPH and wants to go that much over the limit. Over the years she really has not moved much closer to my take on it, as she still holds onto that little bit of excess. My best response to her arguments is that when I married her she had never driven a car. I had to teach her so she could get her first driver's license and as her teacher I should be obeyed. Of course things are never so simple as that, are they?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha, no kidding. There is even a good argument for going the speed of the flow, the crowd setting the limit, i guess.
Absolutely, and some cops used to [still do?] pull you over for going too slow when your inhibited the regular flow of traffic even if you were going right at the speed limit. Hmmm?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
perfectly, from birth, sure, but that does not disallow that someone could come to that state after maturing, in grace. i know ppl that have not overtly sinned in a long time, for instance. I suspect this attitude is often a reaction to some lawlessness that you (one) want to continue to participate in, and don't want to admit to being hurtful to others, or at least as often some activity that has been deemed "sin" by some body that you (the common you here; i doubt you sin much tbh) do not feel is sinful at all? Which might very well be the case?
We all sin as I said, it not just the physical its even in thought, and anyone who claims to not sin has sinned because that is a lie, so we just live with Grace, like a child that poohs there nappy, you dont beat them up because they do, or when they put there hand in teh flame after you told them its not a good thing to do, there will be a day,
When we are all changed, in the twinkling of an eye, or when you die, that will end it all.

You do know its grace by faith that none should boast, are you going to tell Him you kept the law perfectly, that will be boasting...

Reactions: Godssrvr

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You do know its grace by faith that none should boast, are you going to tell Him you kept the law perfectly, that will be boasting.
?
having sinned once, that can no longer ever apply, seems to me. Plus i don't say that i keep the law perfectly even right now; the law does not even require this, as i mentioned? if you can justify an action, the law gives you a pass. Jury nullification, same deal

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cool, a sinner just like teh rest of us. Lets leave it at that. These law things can go on forever.
i agree that once the foundation is laid, no need to dwell on it, yes. Unfortunately the relationship of grace to sin to law seems to have been extremely damaged by preachers handing out OSAS on a cookie and Get out of Jail Free Jesus cards imo.

I would be the first to defend your right to not do anything you are not convicted to do, too, see, and still be considered accepted. By that i mean anything that a well-meaning preacher or pastor would likely assure someone is a requirement to be "saved."

Grace is built on law though, no matter how much i might wish with you that it was not. No law, no grace. At least until you devise an answer for the enemy who hates you and is eating your arm?

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Grace is built on law though, no matter how much i might wish with you that it was not. No law, no grace. At least until you devise an answer for the enemy who hates you and is eating your arm?
Actually grace is built on sin, untill Moses there was no law, Love has always being in existence, and it is when you are "in Christ", that it all comes into none effect.

Rom_8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Than it is no longer a bother, well not supposed to be because

Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Dying is not much fun.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Actually grace is built on sin
isn't that what i said? :D law-sin-grace
untill Moses there was no law
the commandments of Hammurabi - Google Search
Love has always being in existence
and the earth became void, and without form
and it is when you are "in Christ", that it all comes into none effect.
qh45rgnv3gqz.jpg

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was reading the intro to Galations in my Ryrie Bible the other day and in it he says, "Man is too weak to accomplish self-salvation of self-sanctifcation. … Paul's answer was to proclaim justification by faith plus nothing."

That is far from what he preached! In Acts 26:20 Paul says, "But I showed first to them of Damascus [and everywhere he preached]… that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet of repentance." In Acts 17:30 he was even more forceful. "And the times of this ignorance [of God] God winked at; but now has commanded all men every where to repent." Putting it into the correct order, Paul said in Acts 21:20, "Testifying to both the Jews and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward God, and FAITH toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

So to put it very bluntly, if you have faith alone, your faith is in the gospel and in the Bible but not "toward Christ." And many folks do have faith in the gospel and in the Bible — that they are the true teachings .. the very breath .. of God. But they think that, b/c they have faith in the Bible and the gospel, they are "elect" or saved.

To which I would say, "O foolish Galations, who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth…?" Well, I think we know now who, right?

skypair
The fruit of repentance is works, but repentance is really just changing one's mind and will away from sin and toward obedience to God. Paul's appeals to repentance were given to people steeped in idolatrous and immoral practices, much like modern peoples. Paul's preaching on salvation through faith alone was directed primarily at Jews who were insistent upon observation of the law. If you look closely at the book of acts you'll find that the early church council in Jerusalem issued letters to the churches in response to this division stating that all they expected of the gentile churches was that they obstain from sexual immorality and meats sacrificed to idols, the former of which remains problematic to this day. Repentance, like sanctification, is a work of the Holy Spirit in that it is only the Holy Spirit that brings conviction of sin, and obedience to God is contrary to our fallen nature (we are at enmity with God until we surrender to His will.)

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
If only all the osas'ers out there could get a grasp on this.
I do want to say that Paul is right in that Justification is achieved ONLY by faith in God.

But if we are to endure till the end and receive out reward, which is heaven, then we go on to sanctification. And here is where we cooperate with God in doing our good deeds, which are required by God.
1 Peter 1:9
I think you might reconsider your view if you understood that there are 3 forms of repentance: 1) change of mind, 2) change of heart/soul, and 3) change of behavior. The one that faith along leaves out and which leads you away from OSAS is the change of heart. If you believe the gospel, you have changed your mind but not your heart. The way you change your heart is first, realize that you are still a sinner at heart and that you have to turn from your sin natured heart and sin guilty conscience when you were "lord" of your life (Ro 12:1, 2Cor 10:5, Col 3:9-10, Eph 4:24) and turn to letting God be Lord of your life. You see, we believe He is Savior, we also need to trust Him as Lord to do His work in us through regeneration of the Holy Ghost (Titus 3:5).

If we pray our repentance to God, He will save you in the OSAS sense. He will take away your guilt (past, present, and future) and change your nature. :) This is called justification. Then He will begin to guide you as you already understand it into faithfulness to Him.

skypair

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
The fruit of repentance is works, but repentance is really just changing one's mind and will away from sin and toward obedience to God.
What you are describing is repentance to yourself, michael. Do you see that? You are committing to yourself to change. What that amounts to is saying that you can save yourself. No, you have to repent to God because you can't turn from sin and be obedient to God in your own power. It can't be one of these things where God "gives" you repentance and there is no interaction or cooperation with God necessary to accomplish it.

Do you know what Reformers leave out when they want salvation or blessings from God? Obedience! It's all a matter of the mind — mind games.

Paul's appeals to repentance were given to people steeped in idolatrous and immoral practices, much like modern peoples.
You mean like we are, no? Were you not a sinner and idolatrous? No, we all need to repent, turn our hearts around from self to God through Christ.

skypair

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
No, you have to repent to God
i would be rebounding to the same ppl that i confessed my sin to, and neither of these is God wadr.
"Repent, unto God" is as close as you will be able to quote. You should be confessing one to another, iow confessing to whom you sinned against, not God