Paul: The Law is a Ministration of Death, 2 Cor. 3:7.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mikey-for-sure

Jul 6, 2023
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm trying to remember what a Calvinist is.
Calvinism is a system of thought that assumes no free will amongst humanity and absolute authority of God in all matters. As a result, there arises a conundrum. God created the damn at no fault of the damned so they may be burnt for all eternity. It is a belief that calls God the author of sin, then spends all the rest of the time talking around their blasphemy with notions of compatibility (an incomprehensible notion of free will in a deterministic universe) and permission (an incomprehensible notion that God knowingly unknowingly let the bad things happen).
Sorry my first encounter with a reformed one entailed him blaming everything on Jesus. Your previous reminded me of the encounter. :)

Reactions: ChristisGod

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
think of a flower names tulip
think of God damning and predestining the majority of mankind to hell without ever having a choice to be saved
think of Gods sovereignty in this way- he predetermined everything that comes to pass including every evil act for his glory including the rape and murder of ones spouse.

is that enough to make you throw up or do you need more ?
i might deduct, then, that you are not a subscriber to calvinism

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calvinism is a system of thought that assumes no free will amongst humanity and absolute authority of God in all matters. As a result, there arises a conundrum. God created the damn at no fault of the damned so they may be burnt for all eternity. It is a belief that calls God the author of sin, then spends all the rest of the time talking around their blasphemy with notions of compatibility (an incomprehensible notion of free will in a deterministic universe) and permission (an incomprehensible notion that God knowingly unknowingly let the bad things happen).
Sorry my first encounter with a reformed one entailed him blaming everything on Jesus. Your previous reminded me of the encounter. :)
How would a Calvinist defend his beliefs?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably like many Christians.
Tell you that your argument is with God, not with them.
They have "proof-text" apologetics if you want them.
Not like it is "unbiblical", only illogical.
But many Christians don't care about that.

No wonder Jesus hung out with sinners. - LOL

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Mikey-for-sure

Jul 6, 2023
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A calvinist requires that you admit their holiness, much like the defenders of most denominations. There sword stroke against the non calvinist is don't "you believe in the Omnipotence of God". If you say (a) an unqualified yes, then you have taken a large step to calvinism. (b)The more correct answer is yes, but He is also Omniscient and Omnibenevolent. If you answer is (a) then there tons proof text literalisms that most christians would just accept as true. But context and higher order correllations of the scriptural verses would demonstrate their interpretation is incorrect. But this is a long and drawn out process which is tiring to the faithful spirit. If you answer (b), then the calvinist is on his heels. Omniscience with their predestination leads to the only conclusion God is the author of sin. That is why you should drive home the sword into his/her christian personality and forget their reliance on political correctness to defend their name. If you have the misfortune to meet a high calvinist, then the will introduce concepts of compatibility (free willness in predestination) and permission (knowing but not knowing). It is all gobblygook. Compatibility was a scientific concept when determinism was accepted (18th century). Determinism is not generally accepted anymore (quantum mechanics). Permission requires calvin's writing to doublespeak. Not acceptable to Sola Scriptura.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cancelled my subscription. - LOL
I still like tulips though.
You live in Minneapolis? I had a terrible experience in your airport last fall. I was headed down to my class reunion in West Union, Iowa, and saved some money flying to Minneapolis rather than Cedar Rapids. But when I go to Minneapolis and went to get the rental car I had reserved, there was a sign at their desk giving complicated instructions that sent me out to a parking lot, where I was tenth or fifteenth in a line that wasn't moving. It looked for a while like I was going to have to spend the night in Minneapolis.

• Sad
Reactions: St. SteVen

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably like many Christians.
Tell you that your argument is with God, not with them.
They have "proof-text" apologetics if you want them.
Not like it is "unbiblical", only illogical.
But many Christians don't care about that.

No wonder Jesus hung out with sinners. - LOL
My dad once told me you can find anything you want in the Bible.

• Love

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What has been abolished, nailed to the cross, done away with, and is a ministration of death?

KJV Psalms 119:172
172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

Righteousness has been abolished?

KJV Isaiah 42:21
21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

KJV Isaiah 51:7-8
7 Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.
8 For the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool: but my righteousness shall be for ever, and my salvation from generation to generation.

KJV Hebrews 8:10
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

No person can come to righteousness by means of the law, because they are one and the same thing. Both are God's character of love, for love is the fulfilling off the law. Neither can anyone abolish the law any more than one can abolish righteousness...or love. You folk need to think again. And pray.

• Love

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The law does not keep us out of trouble. Listen to what Paul said, "But sin taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence (Lust) For without the law sin was dead" Romans 7:8. The law promotes sin. It doesn't help to overcome sin. We need to be dead to the law.
So it was only after you read the 10th commandment that you started lusting after folk? You weren't lusting before you read the law???

• Love

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Galatians 3:24 - Therefore, the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
I have found this a fascinating scripture.
We are told elsewhere that we are able to recognise sin, because the law points it out. Romans 3:20. Your scripture above tells us that the law leads us to Christ. Yet @Robert Pate would have us believe that the law leads us away from Christ because by the law we become sinners.
The reality of history is this. There was sin before Sinai. Joseph knew adultery was wrong, describing it as a sin against God. Even the king of Egypt knew by a dream that he was sinning against God by entertaining Abraham's wife. Sinai reminded Israel of God's standard of righteousness. They promised to obey all His commandments. They didn't. God gave Moses another set of laws providing Israel with a means by which to find a way of forgiveness and Atonement... The sacrificial services in the sanctuary. The cost of sin was the life of the Son of God. If the law was so bad, so evil, that transgression thereof cost Jesus His life, why not do away with the law before Calvary? For without the law there no knowledge of sin right? And without sin we don't need a Saviour.
Antinomianism is a satanic doctrine. From my experience, Christians need the law to define sin every bit as much as unbelievers. You want to war against God law... That is rebellion. It is the essence of the rebellion of Lucifer in heaven. You war against the law, you are warring against the government that established that law.

• Love

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Antinomianism is a satanic doctrine. From my experience, Christians need the law to define sin every bit as much as unbelievers. You want to war against God law... That is rebellion. It is the essence of the rebellion of Lucifer in heaven. You war against the law, you are warring against the government that established that law.
Straw man argument. Galatians 3:24-26 does not teach antinomianism and neither do I. With that being said we are still not justified by the law but by faith in Jesus Christ. (Galatians 2:16) Salvation is not by grace plus law, faith plus works as SDA's basically teach.

Romans 3:24 - being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV Hebrews 8:10
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Interesting to see that verse in your post. It lives in a dangerous place.

Hebrews 8:7, 13 NIV
7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. ...
13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

I have been trying to help people understand the difference between these important terms. (with little notice)

Reactions: mailmandan