People who don't believe in Jesus are going to Hell, correct?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Not likely. Hell as depicted throughout the majority of Christian beliefs, is simply not demonstrable in reality and on top of that, lacks scriptural backing. From what we can tell about how humans and living creatures for that matter work, it seems that once we stop living (we go brain dead), our consciousness ceases to be animated and thus our conscious existence ends. No afterlife, but rather a cessation of life (aka DEATH).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that too, but, where does the bible explicitly state this?

You see, the answer to my question in the OP is not necessarily so clear. There are many Christians that teach (perhaps FALSELY) that, anyone that doesn't accept Christ prior to their physical death, is going to Hell. I'd like to see the biblical verse that EXPLICITLY makes that statement. And if they can't produce it, then why do they preach it?

"This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." Matt 15:8-9

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
None of those texts support the idea of Hell as promoted by most churches. What is taught throughout the scriptures is that there will be a RESURRECTION of the dead. Scriptures don't assert that the dead are in any way ALIVE. It says there will be a resurrection unto life as well as to damnation/destruction. Death itself is said to one day be destroyed and thrown into the lake of fire with the grave (hell). Additionally, the Bible says God alone has immortality and that the gift of immortality will be afforded to saints and NEVER does it say that that gift would be given to those outside of the body of the Anointed One. So again, based on reality where dead actually means NOT alive and the scriptures, an eternal conscious torment in a place called Hell is not supported.

Reactions: Brakelite

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of those texts support the idea of Hell as promoted by most churches.
full
(I don't think that you read them...)

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I've read them all @Sabertooth and I have studied their surrounding contexts so I would not be cherry-picking to support my preconception. I have also read the texts below that assert that the hope of mankind ever since Adam sinned has been to overcome the wages of sin and the scriptures tell us that the wage is death. Jesus conquering death made it a reality that Adam's descendants could be raised from the grave and from the curse of sin and death.
Let me again reiterate:

From what I read in the scriptures, Heaven was mentioned as a reward very sparingly and in fact not until Jesus in the NT brought it up in reference to the Kingdom. It seems like the heavenly promise was made by Jesus to a select group as opposed to all believers of all time. The hope of the righteous that Jesus made possible according to how I currently understand scripture is not Heaven, but rather LIFE.

(Jn 10:10b).... I came that they may have life, and may have it abundantly.

(Jn 5:39-40).. "You search the Scriptures, because you suppose that in them you will find the Life of the Ages; and it is those scriptures that yield testimony concerning me; and yet you are unwilling to come to me that you may have Life.

(Jn 6:68)..."Master," replied Simon Peter, "to whom shall we go? Your teachings tell us of the Life of the Ages.

(Jn 11:25)..."I am the Resurrection and the Life," said Jesus; "he who believes in me, even if he has died, he shall live;

(Rom 6:21-23)...What fruit had ye then in those things of which ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from the tyranny of Sin, and have become the bondservants of God, you have your reward in being made holy, and you have the Life of the Ages as the final result. For the wages paid by Sin are death; but God's free gift is the Life of the Ages bestowed upon us in Christ Jesus our Lord.

(1 Jn 2:24-25) .... As for you, let the teaching which you have received from the very beginning continue in your hearts. If that teaching does continue in your hearts, you also will continue to be in union with the Son and with the Father. And this is the promise which He Himself has given us--the Life of the Ages.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My answers were directed toward the OP. I do not expect to convince an agnostic.
full
(Also, why would you use Scripture to support annihilationism and/or universalism while you remain uncertain of God's existence in the first place...?)

Kaneda

Sep 15, 2020
Pincher Creek
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Egypt
Thanks in advance.
Christ is supposed to exist and act as a physical representation of God on a human and individual level, as relating to him in this way facilities a greater or closer understanding of the divine within the framework and incumbent of our feeble human forms.

It is hard to explain clearer, it is like relating and experience God’s divinity on an individual and human level, as our personal and individual selves can act in a manner that disinhibits or impedes this universal oneness with our creator, and that is what the crucifixion of Jesus represents to me.It would then be like a form of enlightenment to attain this state of realization that our mortal coils are what separate us, though I do not think this realization is opposed to individuality as in some regards you could say we all have our own individual truths, in some way. I think that being one with god or in direct communication with the Holy Spirit expresses itself in different ways dependant on the person.

The analogy of Jesus is kinda weird when you think about it, God basically sacrificed himself to himself so that he could save himself from ourselves. I guess I am almost not technically a Christian because I think that Jesus was still a human man, like many others and that he had achieved quite possibly a form of enlightenment and wanted to best explain and provide this to others and quite possibly martyred himself as a result. I mean understanding why Jesus was crucified is a fundamental aspect of Christianity but it just seems like it is made to be the end all of Christianity and the main purpose or point of it, which basically just serves to state that “Jesus died for our sins” and we must somehow be shamed and reminded of this on a constant basis, but in a way that feels too much like lashings and fire, brimstone, and oppressive. I do not think that is what Jesus intended, and it feels a little draconian to me at times, but it is like a form of sadomasochism that people like I guess.

Last edited: