Personal Revelation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is complete. That means no more bible type prophets. Someone claims to be a prophet with new revelation, they are a false prophet.
You claim to have godly wisdom but it isn't from God! Read it and learn the truth!
John 21:25
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
Matthew Henry Commentary
21:25 Only a small part of the actions of Jesus had been written. But let us bless God for all that is in the Scriptures, and be thankful that there is so much in so small a space. Enough is recorded to direct our faith, and regulate our practice; more would have been unnecessary. Much of what is written is overlooked, much forgotten, and much made the matter of doubtful disputes. We may, however, look forward to the joy we shall receive in heaven, from a more complete knowledge of all Jesus did and said, as well as of the conduct of his providence and grace in his dealings with each of us. May this be our happiness. These are written that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name, ch. 20:31.

A personal revelation from God is not adding to nor taking away from scripture it is "Personal" and for that individual alone.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the written word that is complete or finished, that's all. But the work of the Holy Spirit is not...and to claim otherwise is "unforgivable."

A claim you cannot prove. Unless you plead your own understanding based on nothing more than you.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A claim you cannot prove. Unless you plead your own understanding based on nothing more than you.
No...the written word says exactly what I have said to you, and I have even given you the scriptures.

Which means you don't even know what is written, let alone the whole truth. Your claims are therefore, completely hollow, personal, nonsense - nothing more than your opinion.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You claim to have godly wisdom but it isn't from God! Read it and learn the truth!
John 21:25
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
Matthew Henry Commentary
21:25 Only a small part of the actions of Jesus had been written. But let us bless God for all that is in the Scriptures, and be thankful that there is so much in so small a space. Enough is recorded to direct our faith, and regulate our practice; more would have been unnecessary. Much of what is written is overlooked, much forgotten, and much made the matter of doubtful disputes. We may, however, look forward to the joy we shall receive in heaven, from a more complete knowledge of all Jesus did and said, as well as of the conduct of his providence and grace in his dealings with each of us. May this be our happiness. These are written that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name, ch. 20:31.

A personal revelation from God is not adding to nor taking away from scripture it is "Personal" and for that individual alone.
Indeed, not everything Christ said or did is in the bible. It doesn't need to be.

Repeating things over and over makes a bigger book, but adds no value.

You're talking like valuable knowledge was excluded.

To why need to know how much wine he drank? What his favorite food was? How often he bathed?

Personal revelation reveals nothing new.

I've had warnings when I was driving, when I was in the military, etc that saved my life and lives of others. And some others via my gifts of the spirit, which helped me and my role chosen by God.

And good grief, I even once was healed of a lung condition that was incurable.

But now the situation I was not warned were shown anything and it didn't go well.

You're making too many blanket statements to the wrong person.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...the written word says exactly what I have said to you, and I have even given you the scriptures.

Which means you don't even know what is written, let alone the whole truth. Your claims are therefore, completely hollow, personal, nonsense - nothing more than your opinion.

Give me an example of something written thatI don't know about.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give me an example of something written thatI don't know about.
I already did, here before God and witnesses. But now you want me to repeat what you have already spoken against and not acknowledged even though it is written. Why would you have me correct you double?

Nonetheless, as you will:

Joel 2:28
And it shall come to pass afterward That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions.

Acts 2:14-17
But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. since it is only the third hour of the day.“ ‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams;
they shall prophesy.

John 16:12
I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

John 14:15-21
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me swill be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Matthew 10:19
But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

...Just to name a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already did, here before God and witnesses. But now you want me to repeat what you have already spoken against and not acknowledged even though it is written. Why would you have me correct you double?

Nonetheless, as you will:

Joel 2:28
And it shall come to pass afterward That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions.

And prophecy to Jews during the tribulation.

Acts 2:14-17
But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. since it is only the third hour of the day.“ ‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams;
they shall prophesy.

Same prophecy.

John 16:12
I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

Spoken under the old testament mosaic law to Jews.

John 14:15-21
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me swill be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

The holy spirit in the baptism of the holy spirit after Christ ascended.

Matthew 10:19
But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

That's guidance, not revelation.

...Just to name a few.

Actually you named none.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So God is limited to the scriptures? Seems to me, God is not limited to simply words in a book.....

Yes, this is the ridiculousness of the position. Supposedly He is has limited Himself to the written word, and has now chosen to remain silent until His return. :rolleyes:

It's a faithless position really; one that cites the power of Satan to deceive as defense for why God no longer reveals truth. Those who take this position are similar the Pharisees with the blind man, who had ears to hear Jesus despite being ridiculed by of those who clung only to the written word:

"Then they reviled him, and said, 'Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. We know that God spake unto Moses. As for this fellow, we know not from whence he is'... Jesus heard that... and said, 'For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.' (John 9:29-29)

It is a dangerous thing to close one's ears to anything but the written word. Joel 2:28 is set to occur in the FUTURE, and those who think He can no longer speak through visions, dreams and prophecy don't even understand the Book they are reading, since much of it was based upon visions and prophecy even during New Testament times.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
6 "Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. "

Without the Holy Spirit we are but as blind men groping....
Praise God for He who dwells within, who speaks , comforts , guides and teaches.

Last edited:

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
All the scriptures that were quoted still don't prove that God was speaking to you directly. Yes God did speak to prophets and specially Jesus sometimes in front of everyone. And Jesus also quoted prophets. Yes holy men spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. Yes God will pour out his Spirit in last days. The Word of God for all of us is complete and we are not supposed to add anything to the word of God.
Still you cannot prove God has spoken to you directly.

Reactions: bbyrd009

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just two points. The bible is complete. There are no more prophets or apostles revealing new scriptures. Which does not mean gifts of the spirit are no longer given.

But there are lot of people that do not understand what that means. They make accusations of others trying to shut down the holy spirit.

It actually means gifts have different functions today than they did in ancient times.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the scriptures that were quoted still don't prove that God was speaking to you directly. Yes God did speak to prophets and specially Jesus sometimes in front of everyone. And Jesus also quoted prophets. Yes holy men spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. Yes God will pour out his Spirit in last days. The Word of God for all of us is complete and we are not supposed to add anything to the word of God.
But many claim they just know. They can feel it in their hearts and spirits.

Problem is such as the Mormons claim the same thing.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is where it gets complicated, prashanthd. What happens is that there is supposed to be the witness of the Spirit among brethren that something is from God. This is implied several times in the New Testament, such as in 1 Corinthians 7:40:

"A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. In my judgment, she is happier if she stays as she is — and I think that I too have the Spirit of God."

Here Paul was saying that whereas others were led of the Spirit and might disagree, he was as well, so his opinion on this matter should not be discounted. Another, specifically in reference to prophecy, would be 1 Thessalonians 5:21, where they were commanded to "Prove all things and hold fast to that which is good." The only way they can do this is if they came to a consensus through the Spirit on what was prophesied. I could list other instances for you if you like. These were just the first few that came to mind. But the point is it was never a matter of "proof" in the early church. It was a matter of receiving the witness of the Holy Spirit.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no more prophets or apostles revealing new scriptures....

Good evening, Core Issue.

Is your claim that there are no more prophets and apostles period, regardless of whether they are "revealing new scriptures" or not? I'm asking because those who claim the latter often couple it with "gifts have different functions today than they did in ancient times" in order to explain away genuine supernatural gifts and replace them with "gifts" than any unsaved person could pull off with a little natural ability.

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where it gets complicated, prashanthd. What happens is that there is supposed to be the witness of the Spirit among brethren that something is from God. This is implied several times in the New Testament, such as in 1 Corinthians 7:40:

"A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. In my judgment, she is happier if she stays as she is — and I think that I too have the Spirit of God."

Here Paul was saying that whereas others were led of the Spirit and might disagree, he was as well, so his opinion on this matter should not be discounted. Another, specifically in reference to prophecy, would be 1 Thessalonians 5:21, where they were commanded to "Prove all things and hold fast to that which is good." The only way they can do this is if they came to a consensus through the Spirit on what was prophesied. I could list other instances for you if you like. These were just the first few that came to mind. But the point is it was never a matter of "proof" in the early church. It was a matter of receiving the witness of the Holy Spirit.
It has always been a matter of proof. We are commanded to uses scriptures to prove things.

Of course the holy spirit is critical. Of god never just go with the holy spirit.

Is not the fault of the holy spirit. It is the fault of people interpreting their emotions, desires and feelings as from the holy spirit speaking to them.

This is exactly what Mormons, spiritists and Gnostics do.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is not the fault of the holy spirit. It is the fault of people interpreting their emotions, desires and feelings as from the holy spirit speaking to them.

Actually the New Testament teaching was on "testing the spirits," knowing that demonic spirits could be behind things rather than just human emotions, desires and feelings. But when you cancel out the operations of the Spirit of God because of this, have you not conceded defeat to the enemy and let demons take over as the only ones who can manifest "gifts" anymore?

Reactions: Episkopos and Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good evening, Core Issue.

Is your claim that there are no more prophets and apostles period, regardless of whether they are "revealing new scriptures" or not? I'm asking because those who claim the latter often couple it with "gifts have different functions today than they did in ancient times" in order to explain away genuine supernatural gifts and replace them with "gifts" than any unsaved person could pull off with a little natural ability.

I was quite clear. They do not function the same as they did then.

I fully believe gifts of the spirit are given today.

And yes, there are a lot of frauds out there that are false teachers, ac's, etc.