Personal Revelation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was quite clear. They do not function the same as they did then.

YES!
I READ YOUR POST! I WAS HOPING YOU'D SUPPORT IT.
LoL.

Do you have to bold everything you post, CoreIssue? It's kind of unnecessary. BOL does that a lot, too, and I find it irritating when he does it as well. Once in a while is ok, but I'm not going blind. I can read regular print just fine, and apparently you can too. :)

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
This is where it gets complicated, prashanthd. What happens is that there is supposed to be the witness of the Spirit among brethren that something is from God. This is implied several times in the New Testament, such as in 1 Corinthians 7:40:

"A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. In my judgment, she is happier if she stays as she is — and I think that I too have the Spirit of God."

Here Paul was saying that whereas others were led of the Spirit and might disagree, he was as well, so his opinion on this matter should not be discounted. Another, specifically in reference to prophecy, would be 1 Thessalonians 5:21, where they were commanded to "Prove all things and hold fast to that which is good." The only way they can do this is if they came to a consensus through the Spirit on what was prophesied. I could list other instances for you if you like. These were just the first few that came to mind. But the point is it was never a matter of "proof" in the early church. It was a matter of receiving the witness of the Holy Spirit.

I like the verse you have quoted, which says prove all things and hold fast to that which is good. And finally it is God who is good. I have no intention to contend or offend any of the brothers here.
There was an instance where Jesus said we can go wrong because we don't understand scriptures properly. And this phenomenon of God speaking directly has become so popular that people want to believe them what ever they say even surpassing the Bible.
God has spoken to us through prophets and in the last days through Jesus. I can't get reference at this time of this verse. This verse is should be sufficient. As you said proving is complicated, I pray that God through his Spirit bring us to proper understanding. Many years back God proved it to me otherwise and I hold on to it.
We are all sinners before God. Good and upright is the Lord and He will teach the sinners in the way. PS 25:8
Let God teach us things better by His Spirit through His Word.
All glory to God.

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the scriptures that were quoted still don't prove that God was speaking to you directly. Yes God did speak to prophets and specially Jesus sometimes in front of everyone. And Jesus also quoted prophets. Yes holy men spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. Yes God will pour out his Spirit in last days. The Word of God for all of us is complete and we are not supposed to add anything to the word of God.
Still you cannot prove God has spoken to you directly.
Nor would I purpose to have God prove it to those who do not believe that He has done what He said He would do in the very scriptures you limit yourself to, only believing what you choose, but not all.

Listen to you: "Yes...And Jesus also...Yes...Yes...Still you cannot prove" it. You concede four times...but still deny all that is written of these times.

But this is between you and God, and this you do against the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Helen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all sinners before God. Good and upright is the Lord and He will teach the sinners in the way. PS 25:8
Let God teach us things better by His Spirit through His Word.
You are digging yourself a hole.

If we are "in Christ" and He "in us", "it is no longer we who live, but He who lives in us" - no more to be called sinners, for you speak of Christ who now lives.

Also, you contradict yourself and the scriptures, saying "by His spirit through the word"...as if to inform us all and God that He cannot "pour out His spirit upon all flesh" as He said, but only on the word. And this you do, using the spirit against the word, to justify the word without the spirit, but "by" the spirit. This is double-talk. Moreover, it is double-talk against the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No offense scottA but you probably shouldn't be accusing others of blasphemy in this thread. There's no need for it

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Folks...

Has God not promised that the time would come when "I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me"...making all knowledge from God "personal?"

Yet here we are debating the very idea, as if Christ has not sent the Holy Spirit beginning at the day of Pentecost fulfilling the prophecy from Joel who told us that God would in fact pour out His spirit upon all flesh, and that everything argued against here would occur as it now has for millennia - many saying that nothing is revealed personally from God.

The only answer here, because no one who has personally heard anything from God, would or could ever say such a thing - is that we are in fact hearing from those to whom God has fostered no personal relationship. Not because He has not offered, because He has - but simply and obviously, they have not heard from Him. Which is proof of only one thing - that they only have the word...but indeed, nothing personal from God.

Nonetheless, we who have heard from God and answered when He came knocking in our spirit, have given our testimony that these things are even now true just as it is written and was promised.

I for one refer you to God and back to His word to study again what is clearly there and promised, that you should someday have the faith to believe it, not in part, but in full. Meanwhile, I would also recommend that you "no more teach your neighbor." But, why should you hear it from me, when it is written?

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
when it is written?
Scott i agree that Word is heard, however this did not transform me into a non-sinner as you seem to be advertising.
but then why should you hear that from me when it is written too, right, i mean Paul has already gone over this.
ps, if you deflect again i'm just going to ignore the post ok, no offense but i have better things to do

B

brakelite

I could give many instances where God personally spoke...although never audibly. The first time 43 years ago just 3 months after receiving Jesus into my life. I was living in a city on one side of the country, and my hometown was on the other, 5 hours drive away. ( NZ is a small country). A friend came up to me quite apologetic, but couldn't refrain from telling me that she believed God had given her a message to pass on to me, that I should move back home. I prayed about this, and asked for confirmation through another channel, and continuing to pray that He would direct my own heart in whatever direction He needed me to take. The confirmation came the next Sunday, when a visiting pastor stopped half way through his introduction to his sermon, looked around the church, and said, there is someone here who has recently become a Christian, and God is telling you to go home and share your faith with your friends and family.
I was convinced this was directed at me. I felt a peace about resigning my job the next day, knowing that when I arrived back home, a job would be available. I even asked for a specific job, at a specific company, as further confirmation I was being led by the Spirit of God. I arrived home at the end of the week, which happened to be good Friday. NO paper of course that day. Saturday, I went to the local newsagent and bought a paper. There in the Vacancies section was the exact job I had asked for. I applied Tuesday morning in person (Monday being a holiday) and started the next day.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the New Testament teaching was on "testing the spirits," knowing that demonic spirits could be behind things rather than just human emotions, desires and feelings. But when you cancel out the operations of the Spirit of God because of this, have you not conceded defeat to the enemy and let demons take over as the only ones who can manifest "gifts" anymore?

Christ quoted every book in the old testament for proving and teaching. That he did not say the holy spirit told me.

The apostles quoted Christ and the prophets.

1 Thessalonians 5:21-23 New International Version (NIV)
21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.

23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

So actually it does not dwell on testing the spirits. Christ and the apostles dwelt on the written word.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All the scriptures that were quoted still don't prove that God was speaking to you directly. Yes God did speak to prophets and specially Jesus sometimes in front of everyone. And Jesus also quoted prophets. Yes holy men spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. Yes God will pour out his Spirit in last days. The Word of God for all of us is complete and we are not supposed to add anything to the word of God.
Still you cannot prove God has spoken to you directly.

You must then suppose yourself to be an agnostic in this area. You can't prove anything either way. So then humility would say..."I have not yet experienced this myself."

There is no reason to disbelieve the biblical accounts are for us today...based on a lack of personal experience.

Reactions: brakelite and Helen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually the New Testament teaching was on "testing the spirits," knowing that demonic spirits could be behind things rather than just human emotions, desires and feelings. But when you cancel out the operations of the Spirit of God because of this, have you not conceded defeat to the enemy and let demons take over as the only ones who can manifest "gifts" anymore?

Amen. What the church lacks today is godly judgment...or in Greek...Krisis.

The reasoning is...if we can't discern what is of the Spirit and what isn't let us eliminate anything spiritual.

This is the process I call "pastorisation" whereby the pastor stops anything spiritual thus being safe from demonic attacks...but also "safe" from God intervening by His Spirit.

In this world pasteurization kills all forms of bacteria...both bad AND good. Just like chemo-therapy kills both good and bad cells.

So it is with many religious leaders. They seek to destroy ALL things spiritual in the hope that the devil will go away. But this also kills the growth in the Spirit that the church is meant to acquire.

So then what is lacking is Krisis (godly judgment). We are a church in need of Krisis.

Reactions: brakelite and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
YES!
LoL.

Do you have to bold everything you post, CoreIssue? It's kind of unnecessary. BOL does that a lot, too, and I find it irritating when he does it as well. Once in a while is ok, but I'm not going blind. I can read regular print just fine, and apparently you can too. :)
ha why not just say "i need you to listen to me as hard as you can" huh lol

Reactions: Hidden In Him

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YES!
LoL.

I did support it.

As for bolding and Italics, that is so it does not get included in a what I'm quoting.

Nor do I put everything in bold.

For some reason, the quotes in this form simply do not show up as distinct quotes as they do in others.

I also use XenForo on my forum, but use a different style. The quotes are distinct.

Using bold in a regular post is called shouting.