Poll: Do we worship the God of the old covenant?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do we worship the God of the old covenant?

• Yes, we do worship the God of the OLD covenant.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No, we worship the God of the NEW covenant.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • God does not change, we worship the God of the OLD covenant.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Other - post your answer in the topic. Thanks.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Interesting that we use a scripture that says JESUS CHRIST is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
To prove that GOD does not change. ???

Most would use the obvious workaround, but Jesus IS God. Still... ???

I don't think it means what we claim.
Is the God of the old covenant the God that we worship today?
Better bring a sheep to the Temple. Cuz... God does not change.

Same God - different Covenant. No animals in Church please...

Reactions: St. SteVen

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Does a change in covenant (agreement) equal a change of mind?

No.. because the redeemed people are the same as Paul said not all Israel are Israel.

It was a matter of presenting an option for a righteous State, an option that may yet be fulfilled if we see a massive revival among Jews today.

But even then there wont be a return to animal sacrifice.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
No.. because the redeemed people are the same as Paul said not all Israel are Israel.
Okay.

It was a matter of presenting an option for a righteous State, an option that may yet be fulfilled if we see a massive revival among Jews today.
Right.

But even then there wont be a return to animal sacrifice.
My understanding is that the Temple will be rebuilt and animal sacrifice resumed before the millennium can happen.
But then, my Eschatology isn't too great. - LOL (send help)

/

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
St. SteVen said:

Okay.

Right.

My understanding is that the Temple will be rebuilt and animal sacrifice resumed before the millennium can happen.
But then, my Eschatology isn't too great. - LOL (send help)

/

End times is not my calling but in the case of sacrifices, a redeemed Israel will have no need to continue in the foreshadow of what Christ achieved.

However God may require it for old times sake ??? :)

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
No problem... I lived in South Africa, you hire a 'Brieflace' which is a portable shed that houses an open fire and a rotating spit for a whole animal and the team to set it up and do the cooking.

Better than here in NZ where they cook a 'Hungi' in the ground among hot stones - which is great if you know what you are doing but I have seen the crowd waiting hours to eat or seen meat ruined if you get the timing wrong.

Last edited:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
No problem... I lived in South Africa, you hire a 'Brieflace' which is a portable shed that houses an open fire and a rotating spit for a whole animal and the team to set it up and do the cooking.

Better than here in NZ where they cook a 'Hungi' in the ground among hot stones - which is great if you know what you are doing but I have seen the crowd waiting hours to eat or seen meat ruined if you get the timing wrong.
Yeah. If the ground is wet from a lot of rain the hangi pit should be lined with corrugated iron. That didn't happen a few decades ago when an AOG with a Maori pastor held a public evangelistic event with a much advertised hangi, and those who attended couldn't be fed from it because the food was uncooked and barely warmed when it came up. Poor guy had a rough time after that and his marriage broke down.

Last edited:

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, you could consider it a sacrifice everytime you eat a Big Mac. That's alot less fuss.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Poll: Do we worship the God of the old covenant?​

Would it be more nuanced to say that we've not had a change of gods, but our perception and understanding of God is different?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I used to work for a South African importer here in the USA.
One Summer they hosted a brie. (spelling?)
A day spent relaxing and BBQing all sorts of wonderful food.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, you could consider it a sacrifice everytime you eat a Big Mac. That's alot less fuss.
Reminds me of the story of the farm animals that wanted to put on an appreciation meal for the farmer.

The chicken recommended a ham and eggs breakfast.
The pig replied, "That would be a gift from you, but total sacrifice from me."

/

• Haha
Reactions: Adrift

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yeah. If the ground is wet from a lot of rain the hangi pit should be lined with corrugated iron. That didn't happen a few decades ago when an AOG with a Maori pastor held a public evangelistic event with a much advertised hangi, and those who attended couldn't be feed from it because the food was uncooked and barely warmed when it came up. Poor guy had a rough time after that and his marriage broke down.

This may very well be the event I attended, however I am sure the mistake has been made on several occasions.

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Poll: Do we worship the God of the old covenant?​

Would it be more nuanced to say that we've not had a change of gods, but our perception and understanding of God is different?

Yes... as long as we don't throw out aspects of His character we don't like in the process.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Except Service Dogs. A member of our church has a Service Beagle that sometimes barks during the sermon. I'll take that as a canine "Amen!" or "Praise God!"

Nice...

We have a King Charles Spaniel - the only breed allowed in the British Parliament.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes... as long as we don't throw out aspects of His character we don't like in the process.
I've used this one before, but...

I was having a discussion about God with one of my Catholic neighbors. Like many, his perception was that God in the Old Testament comes across as harsh and wrathful, but in the New Testament, full of grace and mercy. His theory is that, like many human fathers (including himself), God mellowed out quite a bit after He had a kid.

• Haha