• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those in Christ do not taste death. They do not die. They change bodies, and enjoy Paradise.

The dead are those in sheol. Are you claiming Christians currently go to sheol?

Just asking about people who continue to say Jesus Christ is coming but die never seeing it.

Gandalf-

Nov 16, 2022
Marlboro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So many people have... done it.

I highly recommend this reading

And again what is your point? Another fool of a book, written by a fool who again is going to waste everyone's time trying to sell the nonsense of Preterism?

2 Pet 3:1-18 covers this, about mockers such as preterists, who ask where is the promise of his coming? This chapter deals with the first universal destruction, the flood, the promise of Christ's 2nd coming, and the 2nd universal destruction to come upon the earth as well, with His 2nd coming.

But I wouldn't expect a Preterist to understand anything which is sound, ever. Preterists are nothing but clown cars to me.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would be careful to who you call a fool, but glad to see you do not care either way. Thank you Mike.

No letters are addressed to anyone in America today, or any other country, so all scripture if you take it literally all would apply to those people being written to in that day in age, in and around their "world - land - earth".

Last edited:

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just asking about people who continue to say Jesus Christ is coming but die never seeing it.
Why would lost people be looking for the Second Coming?

Those who leave this body before the Second Coming are no longer looking for a resurrection. They already have that permanent incorruptible physical body in Paradise.

Reactions: Gandalf-

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's my opinion that Jesus spoke symbolically of the temple being destroyed in Matthew 24:2, not a literal destruction as seen in 70AD, John's account is seen below, with greater information and detail

When Jesus Christ died on Calvary, the veil in the temple was rent/torn, the temple was destroyed, gone in the spiritual, never to be seen again

Matthew 27:50-51KJV
50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

John 14:18-21KJV
18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body.
You still believe the veil that was torn was a literal curtain and in a literal temple?

I’ll also ask you do you believe God was actually behind the curtain in that little room?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. The destruction of the city and Temple that came in 70 AD was fulfillment of the wrath of God coming against a people that had become an abomination unto Him. But the murder of Christ at Calvary was the final AOD that made the city and temple an abomination that assured their utter destruction. Christ told them about 30 years before Calvary they had already become desolate.

Matthew 23:37-38 (KJV) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
Why do you believe they continually killed the prophets?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe that most of the Olivet Discourse of Jesus was fulfilled in the 70 AD destruction of Jerusalem and the temple. After all, that is literally was Jesus was talking about.

But about his saying that he would return in that same generation I would dispute. He said, specifically, that "all these things" would take place in his generation, namely the "birth pains" leading up to the AoD, which was the Roman Army coming to destroy Jerusalem and the temple. That's what he was talking about when he said "all these things will happen in this generation."

He did not say he was returning in that generation, since he clearly separated the end of the age, and his Coming, which were linked, with the events of 70 AD. Why do I say this? It's because Jesus said the Abomination of Desolation (AoD) which would take place in his generation would only begin a long period of Jewish exile, after which he would return to restore Israel. The Jewish Diaspora is still on-going, and so Jesus' return is still waiting.

Just giving you my take on it. The Lord has to convict you as to what is right for you.
Interesting, the alleged long Jewish exile, any specific scripture relating to this?

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still believe the veil that was torn was a literal curtain and in a literal temple?

I’ll also ask you do you believe God was actually behind the curtain in that little room?
That's your claim not mine

When the lamb of God shed his blood upon Calvary for the sins of the world the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed "Gone" in the spiritual, the ultimate sacrifice had been paid "It Was Finished"

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bill the Cat stays passed out for life.

View attachment 27440
And again what is your point? Another fool of a book, written by a fool who again is going to waste everyone's time trying to sell the nonsense of Preterism?

2 Pet 3:1-18 covers this, about mockers such as preterists, who ask where is the promise of his coming? This chapter deals with the first universal destruction, the flood, the promise of Christ's 2nd coming, and the 2nd universal destruction to come upon the earth as well, with His 2nd coming.

But I wouldn't expect a Preterist to understand anything which is sound, ever. Preterists are nothing but clown cars to me.
Has anyone ever suggested to you that you may be a bigot?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's your claim not mine

When the lamb of God shed his blood upon Calvary for the sins of the world the temple in Jerusalem was destroyed "Gone" in the spiritual, the ultimate sacrifice had been paid "It Was Finished"
Uh! These are questions not claims,

Grammar?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, the alleged long Jewish exile, any specific scripture relating to this?
I've been bothered by the Olivet Discourse for many years, likely because of the influence Dispensationalist Futurism had over my thinking about it. Also, I was raised up in the Church, and was never given any real background for it, so I developed all kinds of false thinking about it.

But over the years I developed a system of interpretation that ignores all the popular views out there, but takes seriously all of the prophetic schools, being willing to separate each school into distinct and separate ideas. I found some truths in Preterism, though I'm not a Preterist. I found some truths in Futurism, and I am a Futurist. But I discarded some of the Dispensationalist elements that made *everything* about the future. And I recognized that some prophecies were historically fulfilled.

And then I began to learn what themes run through the entire Bible consistently, so that I understood biblical language properly. The Abrahamic Covenant and its specific promises became huge to me. Instead of spiritualizing "Israel" into the NT International Church, I found I could only consistently interpret OT prophecies by keeping Israel as literal Israel. So that aspect of Dispensationalism I could accept.

Finally, ignoring all of the popular views out there I took seriously exactly what Paul said, in light of the biblical language and in light of the biblical themes. It was not difficult, then, to understand the Olivet Discourse.

The O.D. was just one more prophetic reference to Israel's fall from grace and ultimate exile. Jesus said that in rejecting him the nation would be cast out of their land until they came back to God in repentance. That is exactly what the Prophets had said to Israel about the approaching Babylonian Captivity.

Luke 21, to answer your question, describes the "Great Tribulation" as a *Jewish Punishment,* and not the Antichristian Tribulation we hear so often. It is a time when Israel is set aside and loses their Kingdom to the Roman Nation, who then takes up the mantel of God's Kingdom. So while the Gospel is spread throughout the Gentile world, Israel languishes in her Diaspora.

This is exactly what Luke said:
Luke 21.20 “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. 22 For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. 23 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. 24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 21, to answer your question, describes the "Great Tribulation" as a *Jewish Punishment,* and not the Antichristian Tribulation we hear so often. It is a time when Israel is set aside and loses their Kingdom to the Roman Nation, who then takes up the mantel of God's Kingdom. So while the Gospel is spread throughout the Gentile world, Israel languishes in her Diaspora.

Luke 21.20 “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. 22 For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. 23 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. 24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
Your claim is "False"

The Great Tribulation seen in Luke 21 starts when Daniel's AOD takes place, this is a "Future" event unfulfilled, and it didn't take place in 70AD with Roman Armies destroying Jerusalem as you suggest, your teachings and beliefs are nothing more than standard reformed preterist eschatology

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf-

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been bothered by the Olivet Discourse for many years, likely because of the influence Dispensationalist Futurism had over my thinking about it. Also, I was raised up in the Church, and was never given any real background for it, so I developed all kinds of false thinking about it.

But over the years I developed a system of interpretation that ignores all the popular views out there, but takes seriously all of the prophetic schools, being willing to separate each school into distinct and separate ideas. I found some truths in Preterism, though I'm not a Preterist. I found some truths in Futurism, and I am a Futurist. But I discarded some of the Dispensationalist elements that made *everything* about the future. And I recognized that some prophecies were historically fulfilled.

And then I began to learn what themes run through the entire Bible consistently, so that I understood biblical language properly. The Abrahamic Covenant and its specific promises became huge to me. Instead of spiritualizing "Israel" into the NT International Church, I found I could only consistently interpret OT prophecies by keeping Israel as literal Israel. So that aspect of Dispensationalism I could accept.

Finally, ignoring all of the popular views out there I took seriously exactly what Paul said, in light of the biblical language and in light of the biblical themes. It was not difficult, then, to understand the Olivet Discourse.

The O.D. was just one more prophetic reference to Israel's fall from grace and ultimate exile. Jesus said that in rejecting him the nation would be cast out of their land until they came back to God in repentance. That is exactly what the Prophets had said to Israel about the approaching Babylonian Captivity.

Ok so how do we know the times of the Gentiles wasn’t fulfilled?