Preterism misrepresents Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are so many contradictions and butchering of the sacred text in Preterism that it is hard to know where to start when refuting it. The most troubling aspect (of course) is their dangerous, obsessive and unbiblical fixation with the coming of Titus and AD70, instead of Christ's person and future glorious return at the end of the world. That is all they want to talk about. How sad! If you notice when you engage with them, most never want to talk about Jesus' glorious future return in majesty and glory to introduce everlasting perfection, righteousness and justice on the new earth. That is because many do not even believe in a future second coming. That is plainly heretical! They should not be allowed to espouse such error in Christian circles.

They wrongly take words like “quickly,” “shortly” and “near” that relate to the future coming of Christ as relating to AD 70. But Jesus did not physically come then. Every eye did not see Him. The general resurrection/judgment did not occur. The corrupted heavens, earth and elements were obviously not burnt up then. The NHNE were not introduced then. What is more: man is still sinning, dying, decaying, crying, hating, and destroying, in pain, in sorrow, experiencing the awful consequences of the curse. That has not been lifted. The reality is: the whole of creation human, animal and the physical realm are groaning and travailing because of the bondage of corruption. This whole theory is nonsensical, erroneous and unscriptural. The reality around us and the biblical facts totally expose Preterist error.

Most Bible-believing Christians rightly take such predictions from the Holy Spirit pertaining to Christ’s return like “quickly,” “shortly” and “near” as expressing time from God’s eternal standpoint, not man’s natural position. Amils equally take teaching and metaphoric phrases like the “thousand years” in Revelation 20 that expressly runs from from the first resurrection till a period of severe persecution before the literal physical return of Jesus, and the general resurrection/judgment as an actual literal lengthy time period, which we are now in. This corresponds with Matthew 25:14, 19-30 which describes the same intra-advent period and associated events. This is notably described by Jesus as “a long time.”

Both the righteous and the wicked receive their judgment at the all-consummating Second Advent of the Lord – “at my coming.” Not simply the wicked, but the righteous servants are brought before the bar of God to account for their talents.

While Preterists would have us believe that Jesus is contradicting Himself, we know that Matthew 25:14, 19-30 and Revelation 20 are looking at time form man’s perspective. After all, Moses instructs in Psalms 90:3-5: “For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night. Thou carriest them away as with a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up.”

2 Peter 3:8-9 reinforces this thought: “beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack (or slow) concerning his promise, as some men count slackness (slowness).”

Our view of time is completely different from God's. There is a big difference between God’s heavenly eternal perspective and our earthly temporal perspective, something you do not seem to grasp. The phrases “a long time” and “a short time” are all subject to the one talking, their perspective and the subject matter under discussion. From man's perspective 2000 years is a long time. From God's perspective it is not. Time is but a blink to His infinite mind and to the eternal state. God is “from everlasting” (Habakkuk 1:12, Psalms 93:2).

The objective and informed Bible student will see the contrast between the thousand years in Revelation 20 which represents a long time and Satan's little season which represents a short period of time near the end.

Last edited:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They wrongly take words like “quickly,” “shortly” and “near” that relate to the future coming of Christ as relating to AD 70. But Jesus did not physically come then. Every eye did not see Him. The general resurrection/judgment did not occur. The corrupted heavens, earth and elements were obviously not burnt up then. The NHNE were not introduced then. This theory is nonsensical, erroneous and unscriptural. This totally demolishes their error.

Preterists do indeed have difficulty with these words that indicate the nearness of Christ. It doesn't even make any sense to suppose "quickly", "shortly", or "near" can be pointing to Christ coming in AD 70 which was some 30 or so years away.

How can we make sense of Christ' coming "quickly," "shortly," or "near" since it's been about 2000 years and still the prophesy of His coming again is unfulfilled?

I believe Christ has come again when He sent His Spirit to be in us. When Christ sent His Spirit His prophetic words "I will come to you" were fulfilled. When we are filled with the Spirit of Christ in us, we have Christ in us. The prophesy of His coming as that which is quickly, shortly, and near has come just as Scripture promised.

John 14:18 (KJV) I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Romans 8:10 (KJV) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

I believe we err when we interpret "quickly,", "shortly," or "near" as that which would not come until AD 70, or that which would not come until Christ physically returns at the end of this age. I may be missing something, but IMO it makes more sense to realize the Christ has come to us already through His Spirit just as He promised. The Spirit is near unto all who call on the name of Christ, the Gospel preached in the power of His Spirit is but a moment away for whosoever hears and believes in Christ.

Romans 10:13 (KJV) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are so many contradictions and butchering of the sacred text in Preterism that it is hard to know where to start when refuting it.
Yes preterism falsely teaches Daniel's AOD seen in Matthew 24:15 took place in 70AD Jerusalem, a false teaching

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Preterists do indeed have difficulty with these words that indicate the nearness of Christ. It doesn't even make any sense to suppose "quickly", "shortly", or "near" can be pointing to Christ coming in AD 70 which was some 30 or so years away.

How can we make sense of Christ' coming "quickly," "shortly," or "near" since it's been about 2000 years and still the prophesy of His coming again is unfulfilled?

I believe Christ has come again when He sent His Spirit to be in us. When Christ sent His Spirit His prophetic words "I will come to you" were fulfilled. When we are filled with the Spirit of Christ in us, we have Christ in us. The prophesy of His coming as that which is quickly, shortly, and near has come just as Scripture promised.

John 14:18 (KJV) I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Romans 8:10 (KJV) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

I believe we err when we interpret "quickly,", "shortly," or "near" as that which would not come until AD 70, or that which would not come until Christ physically returns at the end of this age. I may be missing something, but IMO it makes more sense to realize the Christ has come to us already through His Spirit just as He promised. The Spirit is near unto all who call on the name of Christ, the Gospel preached in the power of His Spirit is but a moment away for whosoever hears and believes in Christ.

Romans 10:13 (KJV) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

But i think you need to consider the eternal aspect of this truth. That is what He is pushing at IMHO.

Reactions: rwb

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

I believe Christ has come again when He sent His Spirit to be in us.
First, knowing this, that there will come in the last days scoffers walking according to their own lusts and saying, Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation." (2 Peter 3:1-4).

If Christ's second appearance has occurred as and when you say, then where is the destruction of ungodly men? (For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation).
"Study earnestly to present yourself approved to God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth.

But shun profane, vain babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. And their word will eat like a gangrene; among whom are Hymeneus and Philetus, who have erred concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past, and who overthrow the faith of some."
(2 Timothy 2:15-18)

Not one of us who has ever got into a debate with Prets and Part Prets does what Paul said we should. Instead we do what he said we should not do:

"But avoid foolish and unlearned questions, knowing that they give birth to strifes. But the servant of the Lord must not strive, but to be gentle to all, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those who oppose, if perhaps God will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth, and that they awake out of the snare of the Devil, having been taken captive by him, so as to do the will of that one." (2 Timothy 2:23-25).​

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes preterism falsely teaches Daniel's AOD seen in Matthew 24:15 took place in 70AD Jerusalem, a false teaching

I've come to believe the way to properly understand the Olivet Discourse is in realizing the words Christ spoke to His disciples then are applicable to His disciples in every age. And abomination that makes desolate is not limited to the first century AD but is understood (seen) in all generations. Therefore first century disciples did understand or did see abomination that caused Jerusalem and the Temple to become desolation unto God, and churches throughout the ages have also understood and shall understand when abomination that makes desolate is found within churches on earth.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, knowing this, that there will come in the last days scoffers walking according to their own lusts and saying, Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation." (2 Peter 3:1-4).

If Christ's second appearance has occurred as and when you say, then where is the destruction of ungodly men? (For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation).
"Study earnestly to present yourself approved to God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth.

But shun profane, vain babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. And their word will eat like a gangrene; among whom are Hymeneus and Philetus, who have erred concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past, and who overthrow the faith of some."
(2 Timothy 2:15-18)

Not one of us who has ever got into a debate with Prets and Part Prets does what Paul said we should. Instead we do what he said we should not do:

"But avoid foolish and unlearned questions, knowing that they give birth to strifes. But the servant of the Lord must not strive, but to be gentle to all, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those who oppose, if perhaps God will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth, and that they awake out of the snare of the Devil, having been taken captive by him, so as to do the will of that one." (2 Timothy 2:23-25).​

Christ in human form will again be physically seen coming in the clouds in the same manner in which He was seen leaving this earth. That does not take away from Christ coming to man through His Spirit in us. His physical appearance is yet future, but Christ came to us with a Kingdom that is not observable, and is within us. Which is evidence that Christ is near through His Spirit to whosoever calls upon His name.

Luke 17:20-21 (KJV) And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

John 18:36 (KJV)
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

It's not only Preterists who fail to realize the nearness of Christ coming to be in man of faith is through His Spirit. And the Spirit comes quickly, or suddenly without observation and is very near to whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Christ in human form will again be physically seen coming in the clouds in the same manner in which He was seen leaving this earth. That does not take away from Christ coming to man through His Spirit in us. His physical appearance is yet future, but Christ came to us with a Kingdom that is not observable, and is within us. Which is evidence that Christ is near through His Spirit to whosoever calls upon His name.

Luke 17:20-21 (KJV) And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

It's not only Preterists who fail to realize the nearness of Christ coming to be in man of faith is through His Spirit. And the Spirit comes quickly, or suddenly without observation and is very near to whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord.
Yes, but the Spirit of Christ came to His Church 10 days after He ascended into heaven. Not in 70 A.D:

Acts 1
4 And having met with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to await the promise of the Father which you heard from Me.
5 For John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days from now.

There would have been no power for the gospel to spread if the coming of the Kingdom of Christ in a spiritual sense had to wait another 40 years. The church would have died a slow death, quickly, and Christianity would have been assigned to Roman history as the crazy babbling of Jewish lunatics by A.D 40.

Jesus said He would not leave us as orphans. He promised to send His Spirit to be in us until He Himself returns, and He did. There is nothing in the gospels and Acts and the epistles that even implies otherwise.

A.D 70 had nothing to do with the Kingdom of Christ. It was no more and no less than Daniel 9:26-27 being fulfilled before the very eyes of those who were still in rejection of the Messiah (and of course, the fulfillment of Matthew 23:37-39 and Matthew 24:1-2).

Reactions: WPM

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh [Gr. eggizō - present active indicative].

Are you saying this is not talking about the coming of the Lord but rather the giving of the Spirit 2000 years ago?

Romans 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand [Gr. eggizō]: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Are you saying this is not talking about the coming of the Lord but rather the giving of the Spirit 2000 years ago?

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching [Gr. eggizō].

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand [Gr. eggizō]: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

James 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh [Gr. eggizō - present active indicative].

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but the Spirit of Christ came to His Church 10 days after He ascended into heaven. Not in 70 A.D:

Acts 1
4 And having met with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to await the promise of the Father which you heard from Me.
5 For John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days from now.

There would have been no power for the gospel to spread if the coming of the Kingdom of Christ in a spiritual sense had to wait another 40 years. The church would have died a slow death, quickly, and Christianity would have been assigned to Roman history as the crazy babbling of Jewish lunatics by A.D 40.

Jesus said He would not leave us as orphans. He promised to send His Spirit to be in us until He Himself returns, and He did. There is nothing in the gospels and Acts and the epistles that even implies otherwise.

A.D 70 had nothing to do with the Kingdom of Christ. It was no more and no less than Daniel 9:26-27 being fulfilled before the very eyes of those who were still in rejection of the Messiah (and of course, the fulfillment of Matthew 23:37-39 and Matthew 24:1-2).

The Spirit came to Christ's disciples before He was seen physically leaving this earth. It was through the Spirit in them that they were given power to judge. Receiving the Spirit from Christ fulfills the words He spoke to Peter "I will give unto thee the keys of the Kingdom of heaven". Through the God, the Holy Spirit in them, the first century disciples had power on earth. That same power that comes from the Spirit in us would come to be in all who call upon the name of the Lord at Pentecost. However, the Spirit from Christ was already upon the earth through those first chosen by Christ to be His ambassadors on earth.

John 20:21-23 (KJV) Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Matthew 16:19 (KJV) And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Reactions: Zao is life

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh [Gr. eggizō - present active indicative].

Romans 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand [Gr. eggizō]: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching [Gr. eggizō].

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand [Gr. eggizō]: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

James 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh [Gr. eggizō - present active indicative].

There are verses found in the New Testament that refer to both the coming of Christ through His Spirit, but also those verses that refer to His physical coming again at the end of this age, just as He promises He will.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are verses found in the New Testament that refer to both the coming of Christ through His Spirit, but also those verses that refer to His physical coming again at the end of this age, just as He promises He will.

You are making Scripture vague, non-specific, cryptic and indistinct. What other biblical authorities share your understanding?

Reactions: Zao is life

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Spirit came to Christ's disciples before He was seen physically leaving this earth. It was through the Spirit in them that they were given power to judge. Receiving the Spirit from Christ fulfills the words He spoke to Peter "I will give unto thee the keys of the Kingdom of heaven". Through the God, the Holy Spirit in them, the first century disciples had power on earth. That same power that comes from the Spirit in us would come to be in all who call upon the name of the Lord at Pentecost. However, the Spirit from Christ was already upon the earth through those first chosen by Christ to be His ambassadors on earth.

John 20:21-23 (KJV) Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Matthew 16:19 (KJV) And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Yes, I agree, but the Day of Pentecost could be called the birthday of the church. It was the day the gospel began to be preached and there were people from all nations hearing it from day 1 when they heard the disciples praising God in their own languages. 3,000 people added to the church in 1 day.

So that's the day the Kingdom of Christ came, IMO. I agree with what you say though about when the apostles received the Holy Spirit because the Bible says so, and the Bible does not lie - but Jesus had to go to the Father before the promise of the Holy Spirit / Kingdom of Christ could be given in power.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When John writes "the time is at hand" how can he be speaking of Christ's second coming, the Preterists insist was AD 70, and Amils insist is about 2000 years away? When we see how "at hand" has been used throughout the New Testament, we find in each usage it means ready, near, or an arm's length away. I may have missed a verse, but I don't believe "at hand" is ever used as something that is many years away.

Revelation 1:3 (KJV) Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Revelation 22:10 (KJV) And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

When Christ returns the second time, the very day of His coming is said to be quickly, which is without warning or unexpectedly. It is the DAY of His coming again that shall be at the end of the age, but the Kingdom of heaven through His Spirit in us has been at hand and near for whosoever hears the Gospel and by grace through faith believe.

Revelation 22:12 (KJV) And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

The time that is at hand is time for building the spiritual Kingdom of God by the power of His Gospel and Spirit. When the Kingdom of God in heaven is complete then Christ's return will be ONE day and quickly.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When John writes "the time is at hand" how can he be speaking of Christ's second coming, the Preterists insist was AD 70, and Amils insist is about 2000 years away? When we see how "at hand" has been used throughout the New Testament, we find in each usage it means ready, near, or an arm's length away. I may have missed a verse, but I don't believe "at hand" is ever used as something that is many years away.

Revelation 1:3 (KJV) Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Revelation 22:10 (KJV) And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

When Christ returns the second time, the very day of His coming is said to be quickly, which is without warning or unexpectedly. It is the DAY of His coming again that shall be at the end of the age, but the Kingdom of heaven through His Spirit in us has been at hand and near for whosoever hears the Gospel and by grace through faith believe.

Revelation 22:12 (KJV) And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

The time that is at hand is time for building the spiritual Kingdom of God by the power of His Gospel and Spirit. When the Kingdom of God in heaven is complete then Christ's return will be ONE day and quickly.

You are not directly addressing the Op, the points or the questions here. You are just expressing your opinions.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've come to believe the way to properly understand the Olivet Discourse is in realizing the words Christ spoke to His disciples then are applicable to His disciples in every age. And abomination that makes desolate is not limited to the first century AD but is understood (seen) in all generations. Therefore first century disciples did understand or did see abomination that caused Jerusalem and the Temple to become desolation unto God, and churches throughout the ages have also understood and shall understand when abomination that makes desolate is found within churches on earth.
Jerusalems destruction in 70AD had no events that were fulfilled Matthew chapter 24 "None" they are future events unfulfilled

Reformed preterist eschatology in 70AD fulfillment is a lie, just as dispensationalism's pre-trib rapture is a lie, no difference

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not directly addressing the Op, the points or the questions here. You are just expressing your opinions.
Most Bible-believing Christians rightly take such predictions from the Holy Spirit pertaining to Christ’s return like “quickly,” “shortly” and “near” as expressing time from God’s eternal standpoint, not man’s natural position.

In the OP you argue Preterists have not properly understood the second coming of Christ because they are laser focused on AD 70. I agree! Then you said the right way to discern Christ's second coming is by taking predictions pertaining to Christ's return like "quickly," "shortly," and "near" as expressing time from God's eternal standpoint, not man's natural position. I partially agree, but I don't believe you've taken into account the spiritual nature of Christ coming in/with His Kingdom. You appear to dwell only on His physical return at the end of the age. In this age Christ is near to all who call upon Him through the power of His Gospel and Spirit that is very near to whosoever will believe.

I argue while it is true that the coming DAY (one) when Christ returns shall indeed be unexpected, without warning. In fact, Scripture says it will be as the day of Noah before the flood waters came. It will be a day that shall surprise those who are not looking and watching.

Matthew 24:38-39 (KJV) For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

I also argue that Christ has already come through His Spirit, and I gave verses to support this pov. What exactly is it that you disagree with me about?

Reactions: covenantee

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the OP you argue Preterists have not properly understood the second coming of Christ because they are laser focused on AD 70. I agree! Then you said the right way to discern Christ's second coming is by taking predictions pertaining to Christ's return like "quickly," "shortly," and "near" as expressing time from God's eternal standpoint, not man's natural position. I partially agree, but I don't believe you've taken into account the spiritual nature of Christ coming in/with His Kingdom. You appear to dwell only on His physical return at the end of the age. In this age Christ is near to all who call upon Him through the power of His Gospel and Spirit that is very near to whosoever will believe.

I argue while it is true that the coming DAY (one) when Christ returns shall indeed be unexpected, without warning. In fact, Scripture says it will be as the day of Noah before the flood waters came. It will be a day that shall surprise those who are not looking and watching.

Matthew 24:38-39 (KJV) For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

I also argue that Christ has already come through His Spirit, and I gave verses to support this pov. What exactly is it that you disagree with me about?
Origen went down this same road and rendered Scripture a non-literal indistinct ongoing spiritual parable. With your approach, you could make Scripture say whatever you wish. Basically, it is not referring directly to anything. It us up to the reader to apply it arbitrarily to any event or era that suits his doctrine. This is not what God does. He speaks direct and in detail of events.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jerusalems destruction in 70AD had no events that were fulfilled Matthew chapter 24 "None" they are future events unfulfilled

Reformed preterist eschatology in 70AD fulfillment is a lie, just as dispensationalism's pre-trib rapture is a lie, no difference
Scripture and history expose liars.

DECEIVERS

Matthew: “And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you, For many shall come in my name saying, I am Christ, and shall deceive many” (24:4,5).
Mark: “And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you; For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ, and shall deceive many” (13:5,6).
Luke: “And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived; for many shall come in my name saying, I am Christ, and the time draweth near; go ye not therefore after them” (21:8).

We notice that all three accounts warn about deceivers. But Luke’s account explains WHEN these things would happen. Jesus Said: “And the time DRAWETH NEAR: go ye not therefore after them.” Jesus was not talking about something that would take place hundreds or thousands of years later. Jesus was warning his disciples about something that was drawing near in their time. This is plain.

Did such deceivers or false Christs arise and deceive many in those years before the destruction of Jerusalem? Yes.

According to Josephus, the noted Jewish historian, twelve years after our Saviour’s death, a certain impostor named Theudas persuaded a great multitude to follow him to the river Jordan which he claimed would divide for their passage. At the time of Felix (who is mentioned in the book of Acts), the country of the Jews was filled with impostors who Felix had put to death EVERY DAY — a statement which indicates that there were many of such in those days.

An Egyptian who “pretended to be a prophet” gathered 30,000 men, claiming that he would show “how, at his command, the walls of Jerusalem would fall down.”

Another deceiver was Simon, a sorcerer, who led people to believe he was the great power of God (See Acts 8). According to Irenaeus, Simon claimed to be the Son of God and creator of angels. Jerome says that he claimed to be the Word of God, the Almighty. Justin relates that he went to Rome and was acclaimed as a god by his magical powers.

Origen mentions a certain wonder-worker, Dositheus, who claimed he was the Christ foretold by Moses. Another deceiver in those days was Barchochebas who, according to Jerome, claimed to vomit flames. Bar-jesus is mentioned in Acts 13:6 as a sorcerer and false prophet.

These are examples of the deceivers of whom history says there were a great number, and of whom Jesus had prophesied that there would be “many.”

Great Prophecies of the Bible
Ralph Woodrow

Reactions: Marty fox and rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Origen went down this same road and rendered Scripture a non-literal indistinct ongoing spiritual parable. With your approach, you could make Scripture say whatever you wish. Basically, it is not referring directly to anything. It us up to the reader to apply it arbitrarily to any event or era that suits his doctrine. This is not what God does. He speaks direct and in detail of events.

You haven't said what you disagree with me about. You assume but do not say???